Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio Reviews

• Sound quality

Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio

Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio

“I miss my DAB 53 so much, I kept it when I changed...”

Written on: 17/07/2010

I miss my DAB 53 so much, I kept it when I changed cars and now find that it can't be fitted to my new car. I have an Evoke 3 (and previously Evoke Bug) that record Radio programmes to an SD card then I smply plugged it into the DAB 53 and had hours of "my choice radio"
One of the other great features I loved was, I'd be listening to the car radio, arrive at my destination just press record and it records the end of the show (upto 1hr) fabulous and it didn't even damage earlier saved… Read Full Review

Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio

“I bought the Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio simply...”

Written on: 02/10/2006 by pipjen32 (5 reviews written)

I bought the Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio simply for DAB and because it was so cheap...£250 at Halfords a few years ago, with free instillation. Of course because it was a Blaupunkt I knew it was good quality so I could rest easy knowing this wasn't false economy and that it would deliver on all fronts.

What can I say? Not disappointed in any way as far as I can think. Superb sound quality from the DAB radio and CD player, even on my 13 year old BMW 520's original speakers. The DAB… Read Full Review

Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 DAB Radio

“I bought the Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 to replace an...”

Written on: 19/12/2003 by thewoodgnome (1 review written)

I bought the Blaupunkt Woodstock 53 to replace an ageing Pioneer CD/radio. Having got an Evoke 2 DAB set at home I was sure that I wanted digital radio and the mp3 ability to connect my Apple iPod as a CD changer (rather than use a naff cassette adapter).

As with any car radio the hardest bit is the installation. In this case it was the aerial. The DAB radio needs a special aerial. The Woodstock has aerial inputs for both the FM and the DAB (so that you can always fall back on the analogue FM… Read Full Review

Thewoodgnome's Response to thewoodgnome's Review

Written on: 28/12/2003

Update: it is possible to get traffic updates whilst on the mp3 CD/CD changer.
<br>
<br>In addition there also seem to be functions that are not very well covered in the instructions. For example, it can automatically switch to the same station (if available) on FM if the DAB signal gets too weak. I think that it can also do the reverse i.e. pick the equivalent DAB station from FM.
<br>
<br>There are 20 presets available for DAB - 4 sets of 5. You first select a set by cycling through using the one button, then use the buttons numbered 1 to 5 you select or store a station.
<br>
<br>The DAB signal quality seems to be much better and more robust than the aerial fittings instructions would suggest. I've even been known to forget to screw the external aerial back on the rear windscreen and not noticed the effect (i.e. no aerial apart from the cable run inside the car). It's very much like digital TV - all or nothing.

Wessexunderwater's Response to thewoodgnome's Review

Written on: 08/10/2005

men8ifr,
<br>I would be very keen to know how the fan installation went.

Men8Ifr's Response to thewoodgnome's Review

Written on: 24/08/2005

I've got the ancient! dab 52. I was considering buying a remote for it - any comments
<br>
<br>As for the overheating yes this a big problem and BP know about it as I spoke to them. - Try the number in the manual - very helpful they had a list of cars known to overheat - i've just bought a £5 PC cooling fan (12v) and am about to put that in (my peugoet 205) should sort it. When playing off a disk the problem is the disk gets so hot it's unreadable, and the front metal panel must get upto a hundred dergees easy as well!
<br>
<br>BP also said the 52 was designed to be used with DAB news / traffic but the BBC (who control DAB) turned the signal off! If listening to a disk if you select FM first (and have turned off the auto DAB option) then hit traffic then select your disk it should work, as the traffic uses the last radio source. Mt unit beeps annoyingly when traffic is on (and playing a disk) and it receives a DAB traffic signal or something.

Wessexunderwater's Response to thewoodgnome's Review

Written on: 28/04/2005

I have had two of these now and both have had a fault whereby they overheat after playing MP3's from a CD for 40 minutes or so. Does anyone else have this problem

A5Var's Response to thewoodgnome's Review

Written on: 02/02/2004

As a prospective dab woodstock dab 53 purchaser, I found this info invaluable. Additional new info available at www.bluespot.co.uk suggests that a new upgraded internal screen mount aeriel similar to a tax disc holder is now available and higher rated by Blaupunkt than the older mag mount style inside outside style. @£59.

Thewoodgnome's Response to thewoodgnome's Review

Written on: 16/01/2004

Update 2
<br>
<br>Now a month into using the Woodstock....
<br>
<br>As a Mac user I was initially frustrated by the .mp3 card reading (playing) capability as it showed a read error. Being a simple FAT 16 format I found that it go confused when the Mac OS automatically added the .Trashes etc. invisible folders. The leading period is illegal under FAT 16. Making these visible and deleting them cured the problem. This would presumably also affect other Unix based users.
<br>
<br>The automatic transfer between DAB and FM works fine if the DAB signal fails. Unfortunately it is also annoying when tuning in FM and you select a station with a DAB equivalent, hesitate too long and the radio automatically switches into the DAB tuning.
<br>
<br>Having said this there seem to be so many DAB stations that it spends almost all it's life in DAB and not FM.
<br>
<br>I was also unsure whether I'd need to upgrade the speakers that came with the car (an old Saab 9000) as the bass had been insipid. The Woodstock has shown that this was caused by the old unit and the significantly enhanced bass response has meant that I've no need to upgrade the speakers. The bass response also seems to have a punch rather than a boomy quality so it is good to listen to at volume without making your head ring!