Pioneer DV-636D Reviews

Pioneer DV-636D - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Pioneer DV-636D

Pioneer DV-636D

“I bought the Pioneer DV636D in october 2001 for £300...”

Written on: 20/12/2003 by arthure (2 reviews written)

I bought the Pioneer DV636D in october 2001 for £300 multiregion. plays dvd and cds with superb sound and picture. Bass response is very low indeed and the ability to play cd-r/w is a big bonus (tried philips, verbatim, vivastar). according to most sites it has no trouble with dvd-r/w or dvd+r/w but I haven't tried this yet. most modern players will also play jpegs and mp3 but i'll not upgrade this player until it dies a sudden death. I would recommend any pioneer DVD player on the strength of… Read Full Review

Pioneer DV-636D

“My Pioneer DV636D died recently after two-and-a-half...”

Written on: 17/07/2003 by Steve. (1 review written)

My Pioneer DV636D died recently after two-and-a-half years
of very light domestic use. Still plays CDs
but stick a DVD in and it freezes up, sometimes
with a "carpet" pattern on the TV screen.

Pioneer official service centre says it needs
a new MPEG decoder board and it will be 270
quid to fix. So forget that, and forget
buying Pioneer again… Read Full Review

Ventech's Response to 116454_Steve.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2005

I had a similar experience. My DVD player died after 15 months. The Pioneer agent told me that the laser diode only had a life of 1000 hours so it was my fault that I had trouble according to them. I paid £116 just to have the DVD drive replaced. I checked with laser diode manufacturers & they told me the laser diodes used in DVD drives had a life of 100 000 hrs or more. The manual warns about overheating, and as I live in a hot climate ( 40 Deg C or more in summer) despite airconditioning I believe the thermal management of the player is inadequately designed. I wouldn't recommend Pioneer DVD players, since Pioneer apparently make buyers pay for their latent & patent defects, hiding behind a short warranty period.

Pioneer DV-636D

“I have been researching the web for ages looking for a...”

Written on: 28/11/2001 by Sandy. (1 review written)

I have been researching the web for ages looking for a dvd/cd player. I had a Cambridge Audio cd player and traded this in against a NAD T550 paying £200 and receiving £100 for my cd player at a very good shop called Richer Sounds. I was told it would be a very good music player for my cd's and would be very good with dvd's. It wasn't, and I was very disappointed.

I returned it to the shop and checked out the Pioneer 636. I saw it on numerous web sites, and I paid especial consideration to… Read Full Review