Beeman SS1000 Reviews

Beeman SS1000
Beeman SS1000

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Beeman really needs to lean on it's...”

Written on: 02/06/2008

Beeman really needs to lean on it's supplier/manufacturer, and get these faults corrected.

MW… Read Full Review

“Have only had the gun for 1 day and have already...”

Written on: 22/01/2008

Have only had the gun for 1 day and have already experienced a number of problems. First, the trigger pull is HORRIBLE. It takes a tremendous amount of pressure to fire and thus it's difficult to get accurate shots. It's single stage and non-adjustable.

The safety never worked on my model and I ended up removing it. There's a ball-bearing under pressure by a spring that is used when you break the barrel for cocking the gun. Mine froze up after about 50 rounds and wouldn't come unstuck no… Read Full Review

“I only target shoot with my pellet guns, nothing...”

Written on: 20/07/2007 by rumble00 (1 review written)

I only target shoot with my pellet guns, nothing really worth killing near me. I have a Diana 350 Magnum that is powerful, accurate, and kind of loud. I thought this Chinese Beeman would be quieter for shooting in my backyard, it isn't.

The gun looks great out of the box with a nice piece of wood and consistent bluing.
Cocking it requires a bit more force than my friend's R9. I didn't bother mounting the scope right away because the fiber optic sights are cool. My first shot didn't hit the… Read Full Review

Vinceb's Response to rumble00's Review

Written on: 30/08/2007

The SS1000's have 2 triggers, depending on the specific sub-model. The cheap one is terrible, the better one is actually quite good. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to retrofit.
<br/>
<br/>As for your comment about Chinese manufacturing - this is an unwarranted generalization. The Chinese are quite capable of good machining... just because you got a turkey doesn't mean that no Chinese guns are any good. Shanghai (the factory that makes the SS1000's) is notoriously spotty, but BAM (who makes the B26, B30, and the Crosman Quest variants among otherss) is much better.

Marlon James's Response to rumble00's Review

Written on: 11/11/2007

To vinceb,
<br/>Good comments on Chinese made products. I admit that the prices from Beeman made in China are enticing. I am always looking for a a great deal with a balance of economy and manufacture quality. I am new to this review sight and notice common mentions of B20's or other similar types. Seems to be a growing interest. But I am concerned that there are more poorly engineered copies, Remington, Winchester, Crossman, Beeman to name a few have gone off shore. Do think that eventually to a greater degree our the air products we purchase will be completely Chinese made? Or is it only American companies that go to Chinese manufacturing to provide us lesser expensive products with understanding we get lesser quality.

“Like the other reviewers with trigger issues, I found...”

Written on: 27/06/2007 by mikthebik (1 review written)

Like the other reviewers with trigger issues, I found it almost unusable because of the huge trigger pull required. I'd guess about 7-10 lbs. Despite the manual and adverts, the trigger is NOT adjustable. I found some relief by filing the sear shape to give less grip on the spring. It worked to some degree, but sometimes didn't hold the spring when cocked. I've worked it until it's finally dependable, but it wasn't worth the effort. I believe the problem is the trigger design itself. Looking at… Read Full Review

James Butler's Response to mikthebik's Review

Written on: 08/03/2008

Greetings;
Good luck with your "Big Cat " purchase. Tried two of them befor I gave up on them. Distroyed breach seals,noisy and viberated like a $30.00 Daisy red rider. Not very accurate and down on power(850-900fps lead. 1030-65fps pba's). Almost cured my Gamo lust until I tried a CFX and then a 440 hunter. Luck of the draw with Gamo's seems to be a factor and maybe Wallyworld got a bad batch.

“The worst trigger in the business. The gun is...”

Written on: 07/03/2007 by davidperez57 (1 review written)

The worst trigger in the business. The gun is basically worthless because of the HUGE force required to pull the trigger. I initially thought that the safety was on because I couldn't get the gun to fire. Ha, Ha. fooled me. The trigger is so difficult to pull that one cannot hit anything because of the effort to fire this piece of junk. Don't waist your money. This Beeman is a disgrace to the name… Read Full Review

Sifu456's Response to davidperez57's Review

Written on: 26/03/2007

Theres two type Beeman SS1k the one with the terrible trigger and the one with the adjustable two stage trigger like the one I have which is a very accurate, quite and powerful air rifle. Then you have the one sold by Wally world and other places that is sold cheaper and made cheaper with a non adjustable trigger that has a faulty cocking joint and is very inaccurate and poorly made. I think there should two categories for these two rifles. Because one is a pretty good rifle and the other is a piece of rubbish.

Vinceb's Response to davidperez57's Review

Written on: 30/08/2007

I agree with this review because...
<br/>
<br/>The trigger comments are right on. Beeman should be ashamed. To make things worse, some SS1000's come with a bad trigger, some with a good one. The unwary buyer can easily get stuck with the wrong one, since both are called "SS1000".

Davidperez57's Response to davidperez57's Review

Written on: 26/06/2007

Gentlemen,
<br/>Thanks for your comments regarding the two stage version which I do not own. Needless to say , the new Beeman owners have a desire to sell very cheap, inaccurate and poorly made air rifles. I own a Beeman R1 and R7. Both are excellent. The new owners have ruined a stellar reputation by selling the non-adjustable trigger version of the s1000.
<br/>David

289747_Charliem's Response to davidperez57's Review

Written on: 19/05/2007

I am looking at the ss1000 on the S.I.R. web site, the description say it has a two stage adjustable trigger. Did you try adjusting the trigger or is yours another version of this gun. Check out sir. Mail order.

“I picked up a Beeman SS1000 at the local big 5. I've...”

Written on: 07/04/2006 by BushwickBill (1 review written)

I picked up a Beeman SS1000 at the local big 5. I've been shooting high power rifle and smallbore 3 position rifle for quite some time. I was impressed with the SS1000 looks, weight and quality when I bought it. I spend the next two days getting used to the rifle. There was a large tag attached to the rifle that claimed it had been sighted in by a pro. The first shot was bout 6" high and about 2" to the left. So much for the pro sight in. Eventually I was able to dial in the rifle to shoot… Read Full Review

Sifu456's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 11/04/2006

Its common that the stock screws may loosen up from firing 200-500 rounds and also the trigger guard screws may need tightening. This will cause the groups to expand but with a screwdriver you are back in business. Rattling in a spring air rifle is common and it happens on even the vunernable Beeman R1 or R9 you pick it up and shake it you can hear the cocking joint rattle on some. But as long as the stock and trigger guard screws are tight you can shoot lights out.
I hope you are happy with that Mendoza 2003 convertible the Gamo would have been a better choice imo, but still not a SS/Gh1000 it doesn't have the trigger.

Anaarch99's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 29/03/2007

Thank you guys for your encouraging and honest comments about the Beeman SS1000, which I am planning to purchase. I am entirely new to the air rifle thing, so anything you can offer will be helpful toward my purchase. The reason I am wanting to buy this rifle is price of course and as a beginner and not rich, I will try this rifle out. However the source that I will buying only offers it in the 177 cal. for $140 +/- category. I like to get the same in a 22 caliber however. Can someone suggest some sources where I can purchase a SS1000 in 22 cal for around $140 area? Thanks for any help you can give.
<br/>Allen in Honolulu

Sifu456's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 30/06/2006

I haven't adjusted the rear part of the scope - it's clear enough on mines. But I have adjusted the AO for 10m out to 80 yards. Usually that's a sight in job, at least ten pellets to make the adjustmemt. With this setup and probably any rifle with AO it's just a turn of the AO and its back to 1 hole groups at 10m and busting 4" clays at 80m. For a Cheap Chinese copy of a Spanish air rifle its hard to beat. I have it in .22 I may buy a .177 just because they are bargains and accurate.
<br>
<br>And I won't adjust the rear optical thanks.

Steve Ellsworth's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 30/06/2006

I'll tell ya most of the problems with this rifle are the scope!
<br>
<br>Granted, they may be bore sighted and close when you get them but if after getting the rifle out of the box you make any changes to the rear ocular to focus the cross hairs you are in for a world of re-sighting.
<br>
<br>The whole scope assembly is sloppy, I think junk is a better word.
<br>
<br>I had mine perfect but then I readjusted the ocular and from then on it was 4 hours of hard work to get the scope back on line.
<br>
<br>If the locking ring is loose on the back of the scope the sight picture changes drastically and the cross-hairs will be so far out you will be lucky to hit a 55 gallon drum at 20 foot.
<br>
<br>While the scope is nice and sharp it is a low end item. I am replacing it with a Banner next week. Called Beeman and they said it would handle it, actually any bushnell rated for break barrel will work and there are three to pick from, I am going with the 6x18.
<br>
<br>Don't give up on the gun, its a good one, it's always possible to get a lemon off the display rack, so always get a sealed box item.
<br>
<br>So it's got some power to it. Beeman says it's an entry level gun Chinese import and cant compare to the German guns but for a knockoff this is one nice fortune cookie.
<br>
<br>Lubing the pellets with graphite makes a world of difference - predators and premiers really rip - I think its best to stay with one weight range of pellets - it loves the 7.9 crow magnum but they tend to drop quite a bit because of the weight increase but they do pretty well.
<br>
<br>Do check all the screws and tighten things up periodically - it makes a big difference. Once you figure out how to hold and shoot this rifle its a killer!

Bushwickbill's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 18/04/2006

I brought the SS1000 back too fast I think. I should have given that rifle more of a chance. I wound up bringing back the Mendoza too. Maybe I'm just too picky. I'm thinking about an air arms 410e. A totally different deal but the accuracy would great and only accurate rifles are interesting. I'll keep that advice in mind though if I ever wind up using a springer again.
<br>Thanks...