Bi-Orb Aquarium Reviews

Media Gallery for Bi-Orb Aquarium

Bi-Orb Aquarium
Bi-Orb Aquarium

“Great tank!”

Written on: 26/05/2014 by Macey384 (1 review written)

I bought one of the first biorb 30s about 12-13 years ago. I had 3 fancy goldfish at the time aged 4-5years and all three loved the tank. They lived in there for a further 10-11 years. I did water changes every week and changed the filter every 2-3 weeks and they were very healthy and happy. This isn't a tank if you don't want to do any maintenance or water changes, it definitely doesn't clean itself. I have now converted it to tropical and have four platies, they're much cleaner than the… Read Full Review

“Biorb not for lovers of fish”

Written on: 09/01/2014 by Shaggy605 (1 review written)

Although the Biorb is a very attractive tank you need to really ask the question what were the makers thinking about other than profit. My point to the above is this, Biorb do a 15 litre 30 litre 60 litre and 105 litre tank and the one thing they all have in common is the filter. Simply it's not up to the job the bigger the tank gets and Biorb offer no solution. I have been keeping fish for many years now yet I have never herd a good word said about these tanks from people who I consider to… Read Full Review

“help ”

Written on: 14/11/2013

ive just brought a 30l biorb tank and the light what else do i need… Read Full Review

“Attractive tank”

Written on: 14/03/2013

I have had my biorb tank for 4 years now. I bought it when I did not know much about the requirements of fish. It is a very attractive tank. It's a clever design, but still requires weekly partial water changes and the gravel needs to be vacumed. It can be very difficult to hoover up all the mess at the bottom of the tank and I would not recommend it for small fish. All my neon tetra's ended up in the filter after the first hour, never again. I bought gold fish but decided that they needed more… Read Full Review

Jim4760's Comment

Written on: 20/03/2013

I have a 60lt Biorb.If you put stress zyme in with your full water changes the live bacteria break down all the fish waste and you will get nothing at all at the bottom of the tank.

Written on: 20/03/2014

I agree. When I had my 60 litre life tank set up (next to a window with plenty of light) the tank practically ran itself for 2 years. I had 2 weather loaches, loads of tetras, about 4 shrimp and a bristle nosed plec. I also had loads of plants growing happily up the back of the tank. The only casualties I had were some glass catfish due to my own ignorance in not having enough to shoal together (as they can die if loneliness otherwise).

In the end I only stopped using the life tank because I didn't have enough space for it in my new flat, but now I have made space and hope to try making a mini-reef setup in it with mostly invertebrates and a pair if bangai cardinals (which my partner would like to keep).

I'll write a proper view when I've tried the marine setup as I have bought some marine conversion kits for cheap (as pets at home are discontinuing their marine range).

“Biorb Life”

Written on: 14/10/2012

I do not normally write reviews but after reading some of the reviews on here i felt the need to give people a real portrayal of owning a Biorb product. In particular i have used the Biorb Life 30 for years and ran 2 different set ups while owning it. All of which have been a huge success and i have had no fish losses due to any complications with water chemistry or fish being trapped in the ceramic media. The tank is very self sufficient and anyone with the slightest amount of common sense… Read Full Review

“Bi-Orb is OK”

Written on: 18/09/2012

Small tanks are harder to maintain than larger ones no matter what type they are. I was given a Bio-Orb bowl aquarium five years ago in which I successfully kept a Kuhli loach, Japanese fighter and some mosquito rasbora. I lost the fighter and the last of the rasbora about a month ago which I believe was due to their lifespan rather than the aquarium. For the last month I now have the same loach and five male Guppies in the aquarium and all are doing well. I have put my success down to frequent… Read Full Review

“Biorb life 45”

Written on: 12/08/2012 by angelpie1 (5 reviews written)

I felt compelled to write this review due to all the bad press Biorb seem to receive. I bought this tank as I really wanted to keep fish and I did not want to have an ugly traditional style tank,now many aquarium enthusiasts will probably jump on me and not like what I am about to say but if you want to keep fish and you intend to look after them well and do the best by them but DO NOT want an ugly tank then the Biorb is the one i have the portrait one as I dont feel right having a fish in a… Read Full Review

Lynn57's Response to angelpie1's Review

Written on: 07/09/2012

I think that you will find that a proper 'cycle' will take anything from 4 to 6 weeks or more. A week is not long enough to build up the essential bacteria necessary to cope with the fishes waste. You have to feed the bacteria with ammonia daily until the water readings are 0 after 12 hours for ammonia and nitrite. Only then is it safe to add any fish. All this nonsense from shop keepers telling you to wait 2 days or a week is utter nonsense and the fish will suffer, be it from ammonia burns or nitrate poisoning. Most fish will die or suffer long term effects and die prematurely.
A bi-orb is not suitable for any fish due to size and shape and is only suitable for snails or shrimp.

Hanaconda's reply to Lynn57's Comment

Written on: 20/03/2014

A week or two is enough if you put start-up culture in. Once in an emergency I had to set up a life tank over night. Added start-up culture, moved the fish in in the morning, had no problems with it. I only did it because it was an emergency though, and I literally needed a tank over night.

“Not as good-looking as suggested”

Written on: 01/01/2012 by krissouthby (1 review written)

I bought a Biorb Flo 30 for my girlfriend for Christmas. However, when we set it up yesterday (31/12/2011) I was VERY ANGRY to discover that the set up was not as suggested from the shop where I got it and, more importantly, on the Reef-one website or in any of their promotional material. In particular, I was EXTREMELY DISAPOINTED that the air pump is located outside of the tank and – in accordance with their instructions – should be “placed higher than the aquarium water level”, which… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to krissouthby's Review

Written on: 10/01/2012

Hi, i have just read your review, i can honestly say i have the exact same tank with 1 siamese fighter and 3 neon tetras, which have all lived very happily, my fighter is stunning and driving the tetras mad at times, but i have never had my air pump higher than the tank, the pump has always been on the same surface as the biorb, so do not stress as the fish we keep are not long lived, so do not stress to much. i hope this may calm your anger. nothing is ever as it seems, make the best of what you have.jo

Jasonh_000's Response to krissouthby's Review

Written on: 15/01/2012

hello i agree about the condensation. i use a regular submersible heater and installed it vertically. it's not that bad like that. i also have the grass ring.

regarding your issue with the pump, get the one way valve [on their site or amazon] and that should allow you to run your pump from down below. do not do this without a one-way valve or the water will go into the pump and destroy it.

some cons about the biorb is they are very very difficult to clean. only way to get rotten food and debris is to take the fish out and give the tank a good cleaning under a faucet.

i hate the ceramic media. it's ugly sharp and there's not enough. i use white flat stones instead. the "filter" does next to nothing. i also replace my own carbon media which saves on money.

anyways, my fish loves it and that's whats important, right

Jasonh_000's Response to krissouthby's Review

Written on: 15/01/2012

anyways, my fish loves it and that's whats important, right

“the biorb”

Written on: 28/08/2011

i had a small cheap fish tank to start with, i could tell my fish didnt look happy and have enough room so as soon as i saw the biorb i had to have it! it orb made everything inside look 10x bigger, even my fish. it takes 24 hours to set up before you can add the fish. i wont go into details about the set up as it does take abit of concentration and experience, but over all the set up wasnt hard at all when you read the manual. i went with the 30litre as this was more in my price range. the… Read Full Review

“Biorb Life 60l. Expensive but chic”

Written on: 05/08/2011

i have a 60l Biorb life in white. It is a beautiful and stylish aquarium that adds modern chic to the traditional aquarium. I also have it converted to a marine fish and live rock set up. It has been running for almost 2 years without any of the problems that others say they have experienced in their set up. I have 2 ocellaris clown fish and a beautiful irridescent blue green chromis. In addition i have a caribbean boxer shrimp, a few blue legged hermit crabs, some astrea snails and a conch… Read Full Review

Alskicav's Comment

Written on: 05/08/2011

Ps i forgot to add, if you want to convert to marine don't buy the marine conversion kit, it's mostly a waste of money as it provides decorative imitation live rock. Instead buy your own salt, heater, and marine bio stress zyme. Its much cheaper that way.

Pps Does anyone want some decorative imitation live rock!?

Written on: 20/03/2014

Do you think it would be okay to grow coral in the 60l life tank if it was in a south facing window? My concerns would be too much light rather than not enough.

“BIORB - DO NOT...”

Written on: 31/05/2011 by FISHKEEPER (1 review written)

Anyone wanting to start a aquarium DO NOT BUY BIORB!!!!! Starting a fish tank from scratch is tricky anyway as you need to get the system stable but the Biorb brings up other problems. The problem I am having is my fish getting trapped in the ceramic media and not being able to get out. I have lost nearly all of my fish now. I have wasted so much money on actually buying the tank along with all the accessories and then to top it off I have had to buy more and more fish. I have currently 3… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/06/2011

I got told in the pet shop, i could not buy gold fish because I had a Biorb tank.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is this world coming to??????????? Also my tank always looks merky, WHY??????????????

Hanaconda's reply to Guest's Comment

Written on: 20/03/2014

Have you tested the water? Maybe add some plants and change the water more often. I have never had this problem,

Hanaconda's Response to FISHKEEPER's Review

Written on: 20/03/2014

What kind of fish are you keeping? I've never had this problem, so maybe it's the species of fish. Also, there's nothing wrong with buying a bag of normal aquarium gravel and replacing or covering over the ceramic medium.

Written on: 15/05/2012

I'm having the same problem with the biube and my guppies

Handygirl's Response to FISHKEEPER's Review

Written on: 12/11/2011

I don't know how you managed to get so many problems. I have had a biorb for years and the only time I lost a fish to ceramic media was when they went for an hours drive in the passenger seat of the car when moving house.I have always asked when buying fish, if they are suitable for a biorb and not been told no yet. The only issue I have with it is the bottom feeding tablets can't be dropped in or they fall into the ceramic media, I have to wedge them in a bit of driftwood.My biorb is now flourishing in a dark corner & filling rapidly with baby fish! Better luck next time!!!!!!!!!!!

Written on: 15/07/2011

You only need to use one punctuation mark at a time. Using more doesn't add gravity to your point, it makes you look a cretin.

I came on here for some unbiased information on Bi-Orb aquariums and I may have taken notice of what you'd written, but you just come across as a dullard who has killed their own fish.

“I bought a 30 litre Biorb as a birthday present and it...”

Written on: 14/04/2011

I bought a 30 litre Biorb as a birthday present and it has turned out to be very disappointing. There's nothing wrong with the tank itself and it's well made with quality materials but it is incapable of holding most cold water fish, despite its advertising. I suspect you would have difficulties if you installed a heater and tried to purchase tropical fish too. I have been to three aquariums and tried to buy goldfish which I assumed would be the most appropriate given that this type of fish… Read Full Review

“I bought a biorb life 60l about 6 weeks ago and I...”

Written on: 05/02/2011

I bought a biorb life 60l about 6 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It looks spectacular. Didn't kill my transferred goldfish. It does keep the water cleaner for longer and despite my sceptism the filtration system work well!! I havent changed the water yet and it looks crystal clean. I'm compelled to write this review because there is a lot of bad flak for these tanks out there and I think it's not entirely warranted. I don't have any affiliation with biorb.

The tank is not cheap but… Read Full Review

Meghu's Comment

Written on: 03/09/2013

Choosing the right kind of fish for your aquarium is very important as there are different kind of fish which prefer different environment.

“I have Biorb30 with guppies, black phantoms, small...”

Written on: 03/10/2010 by Qq (1 review written)

I have Biorb30 with guppies, black phantoms, small danios etc. Did loose some cardinals but may retry now established. They seem happy/ healthy now I have made a few modifications. Found an extension and curve to put over bubble tube so water flows out-lot quieter and makes top more usable for fish. Jettisoned airstone-quieter and tube more transparent. Still plenty of circulation.

Bio lights are dim and wont support real plants hence ghastly plastic/silk ones. Ive got an anglepoise with Eco… Read Full Review

Ellisajs's Response to Qq 's Review

Written on: 20/11/2012

I have set up a new 60L BiOrb, the water flow from the bubble filter is quite forceful creating the water to bubble too much at the top / is turbulant. I have a fish waiting to be put inside fro an old BiOrb tank. Fish in a bowl at present. This has been several hours and the new BiOrb is turbulant??? What do I do

“I used to keep fish when I was younger and it was...”

Written on: 23/09/2010

I used to keep fish when I was younger and it was always so easy! I have had nothing but trouble with my Biorb. The fish never lasted long as the water balance easily became toxic to the fish. I spent 6 weeks backwards and forwards to the aquarium until eventually I have given in and sold it on.

I would not recommend this set up to anyone… Read Full Review

Onion12's Comment

Written on: 02/01/2011

I bet you added too many fish too soon - really not a complicated system and almost impossible for any competent person to get wrong... almost!

“I am not sure about the tank. It looks beautiful and...”

Written on: 27/07/2010 by irmajune (2 reviews written)

I am not sure about the tank. It looks beautiful and you get used to the slightly noisey pump. Easy to clean with the wipes. Down side we have had out tank since April with 2 gold fish, we lost 1 fish within 2 months and replaced it, now this weekend the other 2 are ill. 1 died on Sunday ans the other one is hanging on but not sure for how long. We have had the water tested ans thats perfect,t he pump seems to be working fine too so we are not sure why they are dying but its been very upsetting… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to irmajune's Review

Written on: 28/06/2012

ive lost 3 fish in 10 hrs and today i bought some more and 1 dies in 3 hrs ,im so fed up with it and the expence ,my friend says she s been told its the shape and the oxygen being low,i just might have to sell it as its a waste of time and money

“This is the worst purchase I have ever made in my...”

Written on: 26/05/2010

This is the worst purchase I have ever made in my life, I puchased the bio Orb life and have struggled to maintain fish for the last 4 months, 4 fish have died, I have followed the instructions and addded 1 fish for 28 days and have been feeding the fish 1 or 2 pellets a day. It seems the ceramic media holds all the waste, personally I think there is a fault with the product, it's too hard to clean, the plants etc are expensive and they don't tell you that you have to take them all out when… Read Full Review

“Poor design in terms if filtration mean that its is...”

Written on: 30/01/2010

Poor design in terms if filtration mean that its is expensive to keep going and near impossible to keep fully clean… Read Full Review

“i have had a bio orb now for over 2 years. As a...”

Written on: 11/01/2010

i have had a bio orb now for over 2 years. As a novice I started by putting in lots of fancy fish early before I fully understood the need to let the eco-system establish itself and they all died. Now, however, the tank is doing great, I have 2 angels, i guarami, 2 guppies, 8 neons and a large cleaning fish,and the Angel Fish are regularly laying eggs, so now have set up a hatchery to see if we can hatch any ou. The orb makes a very eye catching display in the corner of the room… Read Full Review

“I haven't had my biOrb, 30l, for that long (more than...”

Written on: 15/12/2009

I haven't had my biOrb, 30l, for that long (more than a month though) and so far it's working perfectly! For example, I am very happy about the filtration system in the tank, it keeps the water much cleaner than it would in most of the smaller aquariums. I don't have to do water changes too often and my fish really seem to enjoy exploring the tank...
Another good point about this is that my fish seem more 'accessible', I use to talk to them and spend lots of time getting to know them, they seem… Read Full Review