Thomson Celebration Canary Island Cruise Reviews

Media Gallery for Thomson Celebration Canary Island Cruise

Thomson Celebration Canary Island Cruise

“Ryan air on water”

Written on: 12/01/2014

well done thomsons you couldn't have ruined our new year festivities any better if you tried ,the drinks package was a rip off your staff couldn't get any more ice into the glass unless they crushed it even when asked no ice it still come with ice,lack off staff no seats,cold food. New Year's Eve dinner consisted of two bits of beef cut with a razor blade spoon full of mash and two pieces of veg and to top it off it was cold and twenty five minutes between courses,the wine waiter was no where… Read Full Review

“My family and I went on the Ottoman Treasures Cruise...”

Written on: 27/08/2010

My family and I went on the Ottoman Treasures Cruise on Thomson Celebration from 16th August to 23rd August.

This Cruise was a catalogue of failures from start to finish that put passenger lives at risk. It made Faulty Towers a 5 star establishment. Our 2 major highlights of the trip were leaving the ship and arriving on UK soil were Thomson had no further part in our travel arrangements and could not put my family at any further risk.

Below are the failures:

1)Engine failure - meant 2… Read Full Review

Unhappy Cruiser's Comment

Written on: 31/10/2010

I was also on this cruise and I totally agree with the comments. I have written a letter of complaint to Thomson, together with another reminder and am still awaiting a reply. Perhaps everyone on that particular cruise should complain. Thomson certainly did not deliver what they sold us!

“The Thomson Celebration has had a refit in certain...”

Written on: 01/03/2009 by Michael1963 (12 reviews written)

The Thomson Celebration has had a refit in certain areas whch is a good impovemnet ie toilets, public areas. Food quality very good for a budget cruise company. Open dining at night, not tied to early or late sittings in main restaurant. This ship has quite bad vibration like its sister ship the Spirit, even when in port. According to reliable sources this is an incurable problem. Evening entertainment tends to be a repeat of the same shows if you have ever travelled with Thomson before… Read Full Review

“Overall we really enjoyed the Thomson Celebration...”

Written on: 10/02/2009 by BerylC (1 review written)

Overall we really enjoyed the Thomson Celebration cruise and found the general atmosphere to be quite relaxed. Entertainment was very good. Staff excellent. Would definitely go on this cruise again and look forward to researching other Thomson cruises. Some areas of the Ship were shabby.i.e. Lido Restaurant. Most of the trips were really expensive and not a lot of passengers booked them - preferring to make their own arrangements. The Rum & Sun trip was very good value for money and really… Read Full Review

Berylc's Response to BerylC's Review

Written on: 13/02/2009

oops, sorry wrong ship. Should by Thomson Destiny

“We really did enjoy the shows and the drinks prices...”

Written on: 31/01/2009

We really did enjoy the shows and the drinks prices were good. We did not go in the pools. but lots of people did. We enjoyed our 1st ever cruise on Thomson Celebration .waiters and staff could not do enough for you. We mostly ate in the Meridian resturant and the food was excellence… Read Full Review

“First cruise ever with Thomson Celebration on Thompson...”

Written on: 20/01/2009 by Carol Strutt (1 review written)

First cruise ever with Thomson Celebration on Thompson Spirit July 2007. Loved it. 2nd on HAL Volendam June 2008. Dissapointed in this where it matters, ie friendliness of staff and quality of shows. 3rd cruise Christmas/New Year 2008/2009 Thompson Celebration. If you didn't enjoy this cruise it was your fault. There was plenty to do for everyone. If you want friendly,high standard service with more than a smile Thompson have got it .Feedback from other passengers re several other lines agree… Read Full Review

“We have tried various cruises and always enjoyed them...”

Written on: 11/01/2009

We have tried various cruises and always enjoyed them but this is the one I didn't want to end and am immediately looking to book with Canary Island Cruises again. 10.01.09… Read Full Review

“The Iberian Adventure Thomson Celebration cruise was...”

Written on: 13/06/2006 by timcoote (1 review written)

The Iberian Adventure Thomson Celebration cruise was superb value for money, and the staff were the friendliest staff I have come across on any cruise ship. Every meal we had was super and imaginative. This was out twelfth cruise and the best one yet.

The only complaint was that there was nothing to complain about. Everything was perfect, and we have booked again for September… Read Full Review

“Thomsons handling was good in some ways, but sadly...”

Written on: 01/05/2006 by TracyP (2 reviews written)

Thomsons handling was good in some ways, but sadly lacking in many others. I only found out about the virus on the last day when we were instructed that the ship had to be "specially cleaned by and outside team" and that we must leave the ship before noon.
This was our first cruise and it wasn't what I expected. I'm used to 4 star hotels, and this didn't meet those standards as far as I was concerned concerning food, but the accommodation was very good, although dirty water coming up the bath… Read Full Review

S G Wainwright's Response to TracyP's Review

Written on: 14/05/2006

we also suffered in this way except we were all confined to our cabin with very poor quality room service and nothing to do. Our passenger who was ill took nearly a week to recover. The hotel we were sent to, the Las Vegas, found it difficult to cope and was not of the standard we would have expected. Written complaints to Thomson have been completely dismissed.

S G Wainwright's Response to TracyP's Review

Written on: 24/05/2006

got a 2nd dismissive letter from Thomson saying no change in their atttitude and in future contact us via a 3rd party.

Mary Gibbs's Response to TracyP's Review

Written on: 23/05/2006

We went on Celebration's cruise the week after, starting Friday 28 April in Tenerife and were advised by letter of the Novo virus on the Saturday. Both my partner and I went down with the virus early Monday morning and were confined to our cabin for around 30 hours. We called out the doctor and Alan had to have an injection as he was so ill, I started about a couple of hours later, phoned the doctor who said take some of the prescribed tablets. We then received no further contact until I phoned the doctor to collect the sample around 7 pm, he said he would visit us in the morning. We slept most of the time feeling so ill but there was no contact from the doctor or reception which I feel very aggreived about. It was up to us to phone the doctor the following day around 11 am to ask permission to leave the cabin, he said ok but there was no visit. We were left feeling ill for several days. I have written to complain to Thomsons but they haven't responded to the fact we were left alone instead saying it was a virus we suffered from and not a fault of the ship. I am going to write back to them. I will also contact Tracy P as the more information we have regarding the numbers that suffered from this virus the more chance we have of some form of compensation.

Tracyp's Response to TracyP's Review

Written on: 18/05/2006

Can s g wainwright get in touch with me please! tracyprime@hotmail.com. People power will make Thomson listen!

“The Canary Island Thomson Celebration Cruise is...”

Written on: 25/04/2006 by jojothegogo (12 reviews written)

The Canary Island Thomson Celebration Cruise is definitely worth the money. I went for my honeymoon, so I wanted something special. I wasn't disappointed. We had champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries on arrival to the cabin, and a lovely card from the staff. All in all, it was a fantastic holiday… Read Full Review

“This Thomson Celebration holiday was booked 8 weeks in...”

Written on: 12/01/2006 by KathyM (1 review written)

This Thomson Celebration holiday was booked 8 weeks in advance and obviously this left limited scope to get away over the New Year period. We chose to try a cruise for the first time and were a little reluctant to spend too much in case it was not a success, even so it cost in the region of 1,500 each as we upgraded our cabin but did not purchase the drinks package as neither of us are heavy drinkers. We had extras on board with evening meal, Mistral dining room (an extra £15 each on top of… Read Full Review

Martin Waite's Response to KathyM's Review

Written on: 26/01/2006

<br>
<br>I'm sorry; I should have looked at the overview which would have led me to your review earlier.
<br>
<br>Your comments are true and accurate. The lido restaurant was very much like a butlins free for all, now you mention it I do recall many people falling over themselves to get as much on the plate as possible. This to me is strange as the restaurant has many good points, one of which is 24 Hour opening times. I don’t think Thomson is to blame for poor judgement by passengers.
<br>
<br>We did invest in the credit card which did save us having to find cash, we didn’t over indulge, but it was nice to know you could relax without having to find money for drinks all of the time (I think over the week we broke even, between buying a card and not)
<br>
<br>My Mum & Dad own a bridal wear/men’s wear business in Newport, Gwent. they kindly supplied us with the correct dress code for the captains cocktail party, I agree, and I know it sounds snobby, but we really did enjoy dressing up and were disappointed others didn’t bother (my son and wife looked fantastic, I looked like a I should have dieted long ago)
<br>
<br>Your comments relating to the girls at reception are also very true and I hope Thompson are aware of their attitude as I do believe they let the rest of the staff down (very pretty girls are sometimes like this)
<br>
<br>Over-all you seem to have had a good time as we did, I hope to read your comments from your next cruise adventure in the future
<br>
<br>By the way, we paid £1.900 in total for two adults and a child with the drinks cards for all, so maybe this had something to do with our overall value rating.
<br>Kind regards

“Where do I start? ”

Written on: 15/11/2005 by Martin Waite (5 reviews written)

Where do I start?
Get yourself a cup of tea this might take a while.

Thomson celebration. 4th November 2005 - 11th November 2005

This was our first cruise. My wife and son saved for months to pay for a holiday of a lifetime, as this was going to be my 40th birthday surprise.

We arrived at Tenerife airport (Sofia Riena) late afternoon. We had a good flight from Cardiff. Bags took 20 minutes or so, and we were out through the door looking for our Thompson rep. All the searching in the world… Read Full Review

Bertie's Response to Martin Waite's Review

Written on: 16/11/2005

That was a wonderful account of your holiday Martin, but I'm afraid your nasty experience with those Arabs would have put the mockers on the whole trip for me.
<br>
<br>I, too, think Thompson should change the cruise's itinerary.
<br>
<br>Just a query: what does 'great Ireland's' mean?

Written on: 29/01/2009

Hi Carol
<br/>
<br/>It's a shame to think that after all this time the itinerary hasn't changed to accommodate the reviews held here and elsewhere on the net.
<br/>Wake up Thomson!!!.
<br/>
<br/>We too are contemplating our next cruise - this time around the Med.
<br/>Regards
<br/>Martin

Carol Strutt's Response to Martin Waite's Review

Written on: 20/01/2009

I agree with this review because our experience in 2008/2009 has been very similar. I didn't think to mention Agider ( spelling?!!)but thoroughly agree with you. We would much rather have stayed longer at one of the Canary Islands and given Morocco a wide berth.
<br/>
<br/>Roll on next Christmas and our next Thompson cruise....

Hazelf's Response to Martin Waite's Review

Written on: 03/02/2006

Hi Martin
I have just read through you review and comments and found them really interesting and useful. We are going on the Colourful Coasts cruise on 24th February and wondered if you could give me a bit info about ports of call if you do not want to take any of the trips. I know from past cruises that the trips can be expensive and we wanted to walk around ourselves if possible.
<br>Hazel

Written on: 31/01/2006

A family member, who spent the last 20 years on cruise ships, and has just returned from the Caribbean, said we must try the Aurora and soon, the stories of this ship are wonderful. My experience with Thomson was very good and I thank them for getting us into this type of holiday, now we look forward to the next level.
Kind regards
Martin

Written on: 27/01/2006

You summed it up perfectly for a first timer. A great experience and one I would not have missed but save harder and go for a better class of ship next time. The Morocco trip was split between himself taking a Jeep Safari which he said was very good to be able to see part of the area that was uninhabited and lunch in a village excellent. I took the horse and carriage ride which was odd as it seemed to take the back areas and odd roads that were not at all as expected. The end of the trip was spent in the Medina which was very interesting and made up for the 'odd' journey in the carriage. Still a good little trip if you do not want to be thrown around in a jeep for 8 hours. I had the morning in the sun and the afternoon on the trip whereas he had to be up and out by 8am.
<br>The ship is old but was still kept in a good state of repair and again the staff were very helpful but like your self we only saw the Captain on the one night when he was put up against the backdrop for the customary photo session! Not a user friendly model... !!

Written on: 26/01/2006

<br>
<br>I agree with your Comments. The experience was very good but "Could do better" was our opinion. The seasoned traveller who had travelled with P&O and other liners wouldn't be too impressed with Thomson. The ship isn’t as big as the rest, and although very clean & tidy suffered because of its age.
<br>
<br>I was very disappointed with the Captain, we expected the captain to mingle with the guests, to answer questions and generally be seen, and this NEVER happened and was a huge disappointment to us.
<br>
<br>I would still stand by my original view that for a first timer this was an exceptional holiday. It’s a bit like travelling on a Boeing 747, having a good transatlantic crossing in economy and then discovering there’s a first class option. Its not that the cruise is bad it’s just there's better to be had.
<br>
<br>I'm glad you replied, we were interested to see if your Moroccan experience was anything like ours?
<br>Kind regards

Written on: 25/01/2006

Hi Martin.
<br>I added a review on 12 Jan, it has come up as a second review rather than an added comment to yours. My experience was not so exciting as yours although a good holiday and a good way to experience a first cruise. I was disappointed with the dress code of some of the other guests - quite uninspiring - but the service from the ship staff was second to none. The Broadway team were excellent and really pulled out the stops. We usually went to the second shows and they did not seem at all jaded even though they had already performed it only an hour earlier. They certainly earn their keep!
<br>I will cruise again but will pay more the next time and go P&O or higher if possible, we did not feel Thomson were quite value for money and this was also the views of others who had cruised with other Ship lines, frequently, before. It seems Thomson are classed as the basic package - we were deck 6 deluxe, and this was the opinion of people who were further upgrades to us - I made sure as I did not want my review to be just my opinion as some people expect more to the pound than is really fair or feasible.
<br>The itinerary was good and the islands visited worth the journey. As you say you could spend a whole lot more on excursions so beware future travellers, save plenty of spending money to be able to really enjoy the experience.

Written on: 23/01/2006

Your Going to love the holiday. My parents came over yesterday to see our Home video, they couldn't get over the hospitality on board.
<br>
<br>You wont need towels, they supply everything, even the pool side towels.
<br>
<br>Its a pitty KathyM didnt up-date us, as I would have liked to hear her views.
<br>Have a great time

Janet1955's Response to Martin Waite's Review

Written on: 15/01/2006

Dear Martin thanks for your frank review. We are going on the Celebration 27th Jan sailing from Tenerife and your review helped me decide to book, so other than Morocco I hope we have as good a time as you. It is our first cruise as well, do we need to take beach towels? I have had a great day today my daughter has taken me shopping at tk max for my cruise clothes so I can dress up at night - I'm really looking forward to it. Best wishes Jan Wolverhampton

Written on: 26/12/2005

I would be interested to know what the new Broadway team are like. our Broadway team left on the same day as us, we watched a new team rehearsing all week, although we never managed to see them as we left the ship the day of their first show.
<br>Have a great holiday
<br>Martin.

Written on: 24/12/2005

Martin thank you very much for coming back with a reply. I somehow managed to get the same comment on twice as I did not think the first one had registered - fool.
<br>I will definately put a review on after our return as I think it is a great help to people for forward planning. The suit will now be packed...

Written on: 20/12/2005

Hi Kathy
<br>No, you don’t have to wear a dinner suit; you’ll find a casual, smart dress attitude throughout the ship, at all times. I would suggest he takes his Dinner suit with him especially for the Captains cocktail party. You don’t have to go to the party but if you miss this, you really have missed a highlight of the trip, keep your video/cam at the ready.
<br>
<br>I was in the travel agents today looking at our next cruise. I was told by the agent a few more people have commented on “their MOROCAN experience”. Word of mouth seems to suggest this location isn’t bad if you stay within your hotel grounds, once outside, well who knows what could happen. I would go again, only this time with a tour bus and not with the many taxi’s awaiting your business on the dock.
<br>
<br>My advice with the money situation, take only what you want to spend, make sure you know how much money you have for each beggar (no-one will accept coins, only notes) we paid 160 Euro for our rugs which we bought from the Grand suke market they started the bidding at 350 Euro. http://www.aroussat-eljanoub.com/eng/Intr.htm be aware on departing the market, you will probably be asked for a back hander for the “boys upstairs” who earn very little, I wasn’t expecting this and clumsily brought out sterling, I wasn’t allowed to take the money up to the boys either, so the tip went to the salesmen.
<br>
<br>Hope you enjoy the flies.
<br>
<br>Just a thought, if you want to remember your holiday, you can buy a DVD of your trip at the photo counter its expensive as are the cocktail party photos so take plenty of cash for those if you want them.
<br>
<br>I am very jealous; I would love to go back on board. I look forward to reading your review on your return
<br>
<br>Say Hi to Ade on the mezzanine floor of Broadway, he is quietly spoken and seems a little shy but the man couldn’t do enough for us.
<br>Martin Waite

Written on: 16/12/2005

We will be taking the same cruise on 30 December and will make sure we are very careful on the Morocco section. Depending on the advice from the staff we may even skip this one out. He has already considered just sending me and not worrying about paying the ransom.
<br>Can I ask please do many people wear dinner suits in the evenings? I am wondering about New Years Eve and although he has reluctantly agreed to pack the suit he would prefer to leave it at home!

Written on: 15/12/2005

Hi Martin
<br>I am going on this cruise on 30 December and will remember your advice regarding Morocco. When you dined in the evenings did you at any time need to wear an evening suit?? My other half is moaning as I think he will need one for New Years Eve...
<br>Thanks
<br>Kathy.

Written on: 21/11/2005

Hi Bertie
<br>
<br>I never thought of you as a medical man until now.
<br>
<br>My wife and I have been looking through the pages here on reviewcentre. We are planning our next voyage and adventure (although you can bet we will leave out Morocco)
<br>
<br>Never a better time then, than to become a member of reviewcentre.

Bertie's Response to Martin Waite's Review

Written on: 17/11/2005

Thanks for the explanation, Martin - I suspected it was a typo or some such and I should know about being distracted by youngsters as I have 14 grandchildren. (Fecundity is the name of the game in this family).
<br>Don't get me going on the state of the nation as I've been known to 'wax lyrical'* on the subject .
<br>
<br>*A euphemism for apoplexy.

Jo Manuel's Response to Martin Waite's Review

Written on: 17/11/2005

Excellent review, it is a shame you had such a bad experience, especially when travelling with a child. At least you didnt let it spoil the rest of your holiday.

Written on: 16/11/2005

Hi Bertie
<br>
<br>I am sorry I made no sense. I had my boy along side me as I was putting the review together.
<br>What I meant to say was the Canary Islands were fantastic.
<br>I commented on my return to the UK how funny life is. we work hard for eleven & half months of the year to pay for two weeks holiday on beautiful volcanic islands like these. the local people may not have the so-called life style we have in the UK, but I believe they certainly have the better life. we are definitely not the country we like to think we are.