Netgear SC101 Reviews

Netgear SC101 - Ask a question now

Netgear SC101

“I have had 2 of these on my network for about 5 years....”

Written on: 06/03/2010

I have had 2 of these on my network for about 5 years. One went wrong when I tried to be clever but a Netgear tec connected to my pc and corrected it and they both have given me good service otherwise. I have run XP and Vista and about to do that Windows 7 thing (that I designed by stealing ideas from Apple). Really good value for money for RAID 1 device.

Cons
They dont record lock so dont put your database on it. Its only 100mbit which can be a bit slow. You cant assign a drive letter (so… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Fast way to share data in the home. ”

Written on: 29/11/2008

Fast way to share data in the home.
MUST use new firmware from Netgear site in the "downloads" section.
I have not had a problem since this upgrade.
Very good unit… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Cheap but as almost allways, you get what u pay for....”

Written on: 24/10/2008

Cheap but as almost allways, you get what u pay for. Unstable, some times one of the computers in my network wouldn't map the drive (probably software problem but theres no update avalable).
Problem when setting up the disks upon installation.
I don't like the whole ide whith the software mapping technique. I rather use some FTP program instead… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Cant take disks out and use them anywhere else if you...”

Written on: 11/09/2008 by brookesm (2 reviews written)

Cant take disks out and use them anywhere else if you experience a hardware fault. Software updates nag every time starting management interface, then often unable to connect to web site to update. I bought one of these when they were introduced and the software on the supplied CD simply didn't work. After attempting convesation with far eastern call centre learnt that updated software and drivers were required from Netgear web site. How a company like Netgear, who generally produce very good… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“I can't recommend this Netgear product due to my...”

Written on: 02/09/2008 by jbragonier (1 review written)

I can't recommend this Netgear product due to my experience with this SC101 and hours of lost effort, first to see the unit from my computers, then trying to get into the unit to restore backed up but unavailable data to machines on my LAN.
I have twenty years plus of experience with Windows and am still a novice -- well protected from practical solutions by proprietary software that doesn't work -- and can't be fixed?
I'd be tickled to have someone prove me wrong... But then, again, what's a… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“This devices performance is the opposite to my reason...”

Written on: 20/07/2008 by mikekoi (1 review written)

This devices performance is the opposite to my reason for purchase. I wanted a reliable network systems back up device. I got an extremely flaky unreliable but attractive space heater. I would firmly recommend a USB interface for the home user. As a reasonable network attached storage device is just NOT offered here. I personally do not recommend the Netgear SC101… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“I bought NetGear SC101 two years ago after reading...”

Written on: 19/07/2008

I bought NetGear SC101 two years ago after reading about cost effective NAS storage devices.

After installation of two 250gb disk drives and connecting the SC101 storage to the home network, I started storing family photos, music and video on the device.

Several weeks later the SC101 refused to map the drives and after numerous attempts to find a solution on the web I gave up to my disappointment.

Recently, to my embarrassment, my wife asked me about family photos. I decided to give credit… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“None whatsoever. Highly problematic for me... do not...”

Written on: 19/05/2008

None whatsoever. Highly problematic for me... do not recommend Netgear SC101. Highly unreliable in my opinion, over time loses config, meaning you lose your data. Windows Vista uninstall causes BSOD. No known fix (affects the SCSI drivers, causing boot errors). Therefore I do not recommend this SAN… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“This device is not worth the money I spent for me due...”

Written on: 01/05/2008

This device is not worth the money I spent for me due to my experience. Windows Only. Attempting to install the magic SCSI driver on either on my Windows XP Pro Machines causes a Blue Screen of Death and a safe-mode reboot to remove the driver. After borrowing an XP Home Laptop I goto the Software Manager but have been unable to create a partition. Do not recommend Netgear SC101!… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“After a year it is pretty hard to find anything good...”

Written on: 09/03/2008

After a year it is pretty hard to find anything good to say about the SC101. If it worked it would have many good points, but if it doesn't all you've got is an expensive paperweight.

Pretty surprising for Netgear, I usually like their stuff.

I have 450gb, of which I can see - today - 170GB. The rest is away with the fairies - like whoever signed this off for release to an unsuspecting public. I continually need to reset, re-install, re-attach something. Perhaps sacrificing a chicken over it… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Do not under ant circumstances buy this product unless...”

Written on: 17/02/2008 by Johnain (1 review written)

Do not under ant circumstances buy this product unless you are a techie with lots of spare time on you hands who likes a challenge… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“I am very unhappy with the Netgear SC101. Relies too...”

Written on: 28/12/2007 by richardartes (1 review written)

I am very unhappy with the Netgear SC101. Relies too heavily on a standard windows system, which I don't have (I don't log in with Administrator rights). Doesn't work with Vista. Do I need to go on?
I would recommend to try another product. … Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Oh dear. This is where it starts to go wrong. The...”

Written on: 25/11/2007 by dhackett (5 reviews written)

Oh dear. This is where it starts to go wrong. The system has been generally stable since installation, with only minor hiccups. It lost the mirror once and I had to rebuild it, my laptops occasionally have problems connecting over a wifi link and one of my desktop systems lost it altogether which necessitated a re installation of the software, but overall, reasonably well-behaved.

HOWEVER, a little while ago, the SC101 itself died. I assume all the data on the mirrored disks was still intact… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Could someone tell me where can I get the software for...”

Written on: 03/09/2007 by laayre (1 review written)

Could someone tell me where can I get the software for this device for Windows? PLEASE?!… Read Full Review

Laayre's Response to laayre's Review

Written on: 03/09/2007

I finally got it to work. I can't remember the website where I found the software though as I had about 293746293746 pages open at the same time and had a wild search to find it. Anyway, after finding the software I installed it and everything was smooth. You don't need to be techie to get it to work but you need to read what to choose and it usually suggests you. It works nice now and all PC's in the house can access it wiredly and wirelessly.

Netgear SC101

“I wasted two weekends trying to get this device working. ”

Written on: 06/05/2007 by alpha uk (1 review written)

I wasted two weekends trying to get this device working.
The Netgear SC101 installed okay, and it managed to update its firmware and software. I then managed to copy 129 GB to the device (which took over A DAY to complete).
Once I had rebooted, despite all my efforts, uninstalling, (even the uninstall program crashed - causing a reboot), my computer never "saw" the drives again.
Netgear support were appalling. Firstly, merely quoting paragraphs from their knowledgebase, wasn't much… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“Product Is not fit for purpose. Save your money and...”

Written on: 10/03/2007 by ninja396 (1 review written)

Product Is not fit for purpose. Save your money and buy a a proper NAS storage solution.
It is in fact a total waste of your money and the time it took to design it… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“AWFUL, SLOW customer service - I wouldn't recommend...”

Written on: 03/02/2007 by velledriver (1 review written)

AWFUL, SLOW customer service - I wouldn't recommend the Netgear SC101 to my worst enemy - see above… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“If it worked the Netgear SC101 would be a great product. ”

Written on: 02/12/2006 by simplelife (1 review written)

If it worked the Netgear SC101 would be a great product.
Unfortunately, it doesn't, and because it sits in the middle of a network, interfaces to PC's, involves firewalls, and third party drives, Netgear have multiple excuses for problems.

Their support is snail pace - maximum of one response per working day, which on many occasions is to ask you just another question, or more frustratingly, to tell you they are passing the problem on to someone else. The next one - you guessed it - probably… Read Full Review

Hatesc101's Response to simplelife's Review

Written on: 24/12/2006

I have been having the same problems with the Netgear SC101. Rubbish product. Though I found this article this morning. I might try it out in the new year.
<br/>www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h857.htm
<br/>
<br/>Happy Christmas

Alpha Uk's Response to simplelife's Review

Written on: 06/05/2007

I wasted two weekends trying to get this device working.
<br/>It installed okay, and it managed to update its firmware and software.I then managed to copy 129 GB to the device (which took over A DAY to complete).
<br/>Once I had rebooted, despite all my efforts, uninstalling, (even the uninstal program crashed - causing a reboot) and re-installing, my computer never "saw" the drives again.
<br/>Netgear support were appalling.
<br/>Firstly, merely quoting paragraphs from their knowledgebase, wasn't much help.
<br/>Asking questions that had already been asked and already been answered in previous emails.
<br/>Escalating the problem and taking TEN days to do it.
<br/>After lots of emails, all help dried up, they eventually just ignored my case.
<br/>It just does NOT work.
<br/>Don't touch this product, look on Ebay and see how many are for sale.
<br/>One thing they don't mention in the adverts is that this device uses its own filing system.
<br/>If the device fails you cannot take the drives out and pop them into you PC - your PC just would not recognise them.
<br/>Unless you have a spare device, if you value your data, you would have to buy another - in other words - YOU'RE HOOKED !!!
<br/>It is not compatible with some firewalls such as Zone Alarm.
<br/>Save your money and buy a proper NAS device.

Netgear SC101

“I concur with a couple of reviews here - I am very...”

Written on: 24/10/2006 by rdysan (1 review written)

I concur with a couple of reviews here - I am very disappointed with this unit. Although it has not failed, per se, it is very slow to get recognised by my PC, pretty slow transferring files, still goes offline and has to be rebooted, despite installing the "stay alive" fix, and - most disturbingly for me - I don't trust it if something gets corrupted, as you cannot just pull out the HDD's and shove them in another unit. The Netgear SC101 could have been really good, but the software really… Read Full Review

Netgear SC101

“I bought this item over 5 months ago, and I have...”

Written on: 22/10/2006 by Gilbertworld (1 review written)

I bought this item over 5 months ago, and I have finally given up on it.

I have been 'communicating' with Netgear via their online support service for all this time, and the upshot of my problem is that although my laptop works perfectly with it, the two PC's I was hoping to use with it too will not transfer even the smallest of files without a file corrupted message.

Netgear tell me that this is 'probably' because I use an Ethernet wireless bridge instead of an internal wireless network… Read Full Review