BMW Z4 2.5i SE Reviews

BMW Z4 2.5i SE - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for BMW Z4 2.5i SE

BMW Z4 2.5i SE
BMW Z4 2.5i SE

“What follows is a somewhat lengthy review of a The BMW...”

Written on: 20/01/2010 by Big Dave Midlands (25 reviews written)

What follows is a somewhat lengthy review of a The BMW Z4 2.5i. I hope you stick with it and enjoy!

Introduction.

If you are reading this article you are probably already an owner of a Z4 2.5i or likely to be one so will need little or no convincing of the Z4's abilities. So I won't be writing piles of gushing praise and telling you how great a 2.5i Z4 is around the lanes, across the Alps, what a great holiday I had in it or referring to (and I quote a certain Mr J Clarkson, with tongue… Read Full Review

Stagga's Response to Big Dave Midlands's Review

Written on: 08/02/2011

Very in depth review, it seems you went through the exact same buying process as I did. The S2000 was too small and not enough torque, the Porsche too expensive to run. One thing though, I don't understand why anyone would buy the 2.5 when the 3.0 gets almost the same fuel economy but far more power. Enough to keep up with the S2000 and a 3.2 Boxster should the desire ever take you :)
<br/>Also one thing I noticed, you say you have no problems with the handling? Perhaps that's because you don't have the sport suspension which sounds like a blessing in disguise. My car -and many others have also testified to this- is great on a smooth road but get it on any bumpy surface (most of the roads in Britain then)and it goes to pieces, constantly requiring full attention at any speed to avoid ending up in the hedgerow! Not good and the fault was tracked down to a design flaw in a suspension setup that's great for track racing but all wrong for the road.
<br/>One final thing, I can't believe you think the gear shift is better in the Z4 than the S2000 (assuming that's what you mean when you talk about the transmission? - the Z's is firm and mechanical but sometimes very hard to get in gear at low revs, the S2000's is riflebolt accurate and smooth and renowned as one of the best ever.

Big Dave Midlands's Response to Big Dave Midlands's Review

Written on: 19/07/2012

A reply to the user 'Guest' I fitted Continental Sport Contact 3 and found them a big improvement on the Bridgestone RE-05's as they suited the car better in so many ways. Tramling significantly reduced, wet grip (especially in cold weather) a HUGE improvement, Ride comfort so much better, road noise noticeably reduced. The only down side is that they don't last as long, but then when you have a rear wheel drive sports car with close to 200bhp, this is to be expected! Other owners of the Z4 also speak highly of the pirelli eufori but I have no personal experience of these tyres.

Guest's Response to Big Dave Midlands's Review

Written on: 27/06/2012

Great review-loving my 2.5 SE too! What model of continental runflats did you fit? Thanks

Guest's Response to Big Dave Midlands's Review

Written on: 29/03/2012

Great review BDM

thoroughly enjoyed reading it even if it is a bit waffly lol :-)

I just picked up my 05 2.5SE Z4 today and Im absolutely loving it. I am a 26 single male and its awesome
Cheers

Big Dave Midlands's Response to Big Dave Midlands's Review

Written on: 16/05/2011

Hi stagga, glad you enjoyed the review. You are right i did not have the sports suspension as I had the SE model 17" alloys so i found the handling and ride to be perfectly decent for a sports car. I decided to stick with the run flats as my insurance company refused to insure me if I removed them, as this would count as a modification. However after I replaced the OE spec bridgestone RE-05's with a set of next generation run flat continental's the ride and handling improved beyond belief. I lost a touch of steering precision but the trade off for improved ride and handling and wet weather performance was more than worth that compromise. As for choosing the 2.5i over the 3.0i. Your performance and consumption points are valid, but where I live the 3.0i was at the time commanding a significant price premium over a 2.5i, and the insurance would have been more too. Plus I found the spec level that I wanted with the 2.5i and I never felt shortchanged in terms of spec or performance. 6.8 seconds to 60 is still respectable!

“The BMW Z4 2.5i SE was far superior to any other 2...”

Written on: 15/02/2007 by silverspit (1 review written)

The BMW Z4 2.5i SE was far superior to any other 2 seater roadster we looked at. The purr of the engine, and the style of the vehicle just makes you want to drive it. It is a very responsive machine with a wonderful Sports button for extra performance. This car has received many complimentary comments. The heated seats are fantastic, and even the boot space is great for a car of this size, it would easily hold a large suitcase for those many weekends away that you would like to take the car on… Read Full Review

“I'd never owned a sports car before and for almost 2...”

Written on: 11/10/2005 by Chris S (1 review written)

I'd never owned a sports car before and for almost 2 years had aspired to owning a Boxster. I had the money, test drove the Porsche twice, and was just about to put my order in when - just to make sure - I test drove a BMW Z4, which led to me choosing that instead. It wasn't just the fact that when comparing like with like specs the nearly new 2.5 was saving me around £8,000 compared to the Boxster 2.7 (not to be sniffed at though), I just simply found it a better car. In metallic black and… Read Full Review

“We have a Z4 three litre and it is wonderful. I...”

Written on: 09/10/2005 by AmandaBurrows (1 review written)

We have a Z4 three litre and it is wonderful. I absolutely love driving it and heads always turn when we are in it. We have it in Torledo Blue which was a risky colour to choose scene as we had not seen it before it was purchased but I think it looks great. The drive is fantastic and when you put your foot down in the sports mode it flies!! Obviously within the legal speed limit. We purchased the car through Park Lane, London and they were extremely helpful. Servicing was to go through… Read Full Review

“Okay, I have bought a BMW Z4 2.5 sports car to replace...”

Written on: 29/01/2005 by DavidG (1 review written)

Okay, I have bought a BMW Z4 2.5 sports car to replace my Z3 3.0 and all I can say is, wow!

The driving position is brilliant and flexible. Instrumentation layout is intelligently placed.
The drive and handling are a pleasure...this car makes me smile for two reasons:

It feels terrific, especially with the 'sport' setting activated, and it didn't break the bank - a comparitive Boxster would have...I've gone with 18" wheels and I feel stuck to the road...no, I feel at one with the road.

I'm… Read Full Review

199048_Anne B's Response to DavidG's Review

Written on: 24/06/2005

Love my z4, went from Coupe 330i to Z4, my husband kept the 330ci whenever I have to drive it its like an old man's car, the steering wheel is so big and heavy, when I get into my z4 the difference is unbelievable. As a suprise my husband bought me the hardtop, the Z4 looks totally different and cooool. Heads turn when you move into the sports drive and fly. I still look around wondering if there is anything I would have preferred but havent seen anything I would trade it in for. Love it Love it Love it