Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i - Ask a question now

“I have done 40K in 3 years in a diesel Honda FRV EX....”

Written on: 01/02/2011

I have done 40K in 3 years in a diesel Honda FRV EX. First Honda and impressed with the dealers and the quality of the car. Design is unusual but is very practical with 3 kids in car seats (all ISOFIX'd in). A special benefit for me is being able to get into the back and fix children in and out, and being able to slide across the front and out the passenger door easily (I park with the driver's door against the wall sometimes). Used for 5, and with a child in the front, the luggage space can… Read Full Review

“The most appalling build quality and service I have...”

Written on: 06/03/2010

The most appalling build quality and service I have seen since the Moskvich Aleko 5-speed. In fact the worst build quality I have seen in a car built in a developed country.

The engine was leaking oil like a sieve. It went in for repairs three times 7+ days each and each time I was told to go get lost when asking for a courtesy car. The technicians had to reseal all gaskets on one of the engine sides as they were not factory sealed properly. Something that should have never left the assembly… Read Full Review

“After ploughing through the web for the top 5 choice...”

Written on: 27/02/2010 by robfox1975 (1 review written)

After ploughing through the web for the top 5 choice of nearly new card in the 12K region after part exchange my list was as follows:

Mazda 5
Vauxhall Zafira
Ford Galaxy
Honda FR-V
Ford S-Max

As a family of 2 adults and 2 kids we often travelled with one set of grandparents therefore requiring 6 or 7 seats. The wife an I were no particularly keen a big 7 seater and when 7 seats re up, often, all of the boot space disappears so we came across the Honda F-RV. It offers 6 independently moving… Read Full Review

Beefy39's Response to robfox1975's Review

Written on: 20/12/2010

I found this review very helpful because..., believe it or not, I owned an FRV 2 years ago, sold it when clutch went and I did not get much support from Honda. Currently driving a Toyota Avensis but it's not as versatile, I've struggled to get used to it so considering going back to FRV.
<br/>

“We bought brand new Honda FRV, 1799cc, petrol,...”

Written on: 04/09/2009

We bought brand new Honda FRV, 1799cc, petrol, Automatic. We have four children and we thought this is ideal. It has been a brilliant car so far. The only issue is after about six months from buying it, the engine oil warning light came on while we were driving long distance on the motorway. I had to put one litre of oil in it. When I took it to the dealer the next day they tested it and then told me this is normal and i am expected to check oil level every 1000 mile. This is the first car… Read Full Review

“Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i is a beautifull beast - I have...”

Written on: 04/09/2009 by Uncleudder (1 review written)

Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i is a beautifull beast - I have owned many cars over the last 30 years and this is my favourite. If you dont mind the poor fuel consumption when your being a naughty boy with the accelerator. I have always driven this 2.2 litre sport turbo hard and it responds accordingly. Its tight and performs really well given its one and a half tonne kerbweight. We have 4 kids ranging from 13 to 20 yrs and have not had one complaint about room and are quite happy to sit for 300 miles… Read Full Review

“I purchased the Honda FR-V 2.2 CDTi after needing to...”

Written on: 05/08/2009

I purchased the Honda FR-V 2.2 CDTi after needing to replace my ford focus due to the growing family, after looking around at other manufactures I liked the internal design of the FRV, the 6 seats with the cleaver layout and boot size all helped with the decision, having a 2 year old and an 8 month old we still have pushchairs to take with us and other manufactures loose boot space when they have the seating capability of the FRV.

Since owning the car with have had very clunky steering, it has… Read Full Review

“bought honda fr-v 2.2 demo model in dec 06.”

Written on: 09/07/2009 by finbar magee (1 review written)

bought honda fr-v 2.2 demo model in dec 06.
ex- wife was driving it in march 07 when the engine seized with no warning - i.e THERE IS NO OIL LEVEL INDICATOR ON THIS VEHICLE. we were quoted £10,000 TO FIX IT!

Don't touch them!!!!

Guest's Response to 472223_finbar magee's Review

Written on: 19/07/2011

Same thing happened to me in an 06 Civic 2.2 diesel after 9000 miles. Don't seem to hear much but it seems the diesel might be bringing the stable down!

“My view; ”

Written on: 04/07/2008 by laz10uk (1 review written)

My view;
cheap light weight Coke-a-Cola tin body structure comes to mind specially the doors, torque steers under acceleration & bland interior, would I buy another Honda quite frankly "NO", having owned two Alfa Romeos my last being the GT I ' d have an Alfa any day, this was my wife ' s choice & only because of the children.

Kasner's Response to 379390_laz10uk's Review

Written on: 28/11/2012

The Honda FRV and Alfa cannot be compared for the simple reason the FRV is a people carrier and the Alfa is a poor mans sports car. The family and I are still happy with our FRV that turns 7 next year. My only issue to date is when all the warning lights came on after the car had been parked for a few hours. This meant I could only drive at 15km/h as the system had put the engine into " protection mode"
I was told the on board computer was to blame but advised to simply disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and then reconnect. It worked! This apparently re boots the computer and saved me loads of money. The car has run perfectly ever since.

“Build quality is excellent. Great visibility...”

Written on: 11/03/2008

Build quality is excellent. Great visibility especially when middle front seat is down. Easy to get in and out of. Light and easy clutch and gearchange. Overall a great car, easy to drive and comfortable. Feels like a car, not an MPV. Much better for a family of 6 than a Verso or Zafira where no one wants to sit in the 'very back'… Read Full Review

“After 12,000 miles, I am averaging 45.5 mpg. This...”

Written on: 25/06/2007 by flushgord (1 review written)

After 12,000 miles, I am averaging 45.5 mpg. This includes a variety of road conditions and types including the usual commuting holdups. I have two girls and my eldest does not travel well - the FR-V is the first car she has not been sick in - fantastic! The kids love sitting in the front with me. I love the low down grunt of the 2.2 diesel which has plenty of power after my previous MPV, a 2.0 diesel Zafira. The FR-V is also very quiet and I like the turbo whine you sometimes get when… Read Full Review

Timblack57's Response to flushgord's Review

Written on: 06/08/2007

Have just test-driven this model and would largely concur with flushgord. We have four children so a six-seater is a necessity and not a luxury for us. Advantage over mini-MPVs with three rows of seats is that every passenger has a comfortable seat with plenty of legroom with no tipping of seats or awkward clambering required. And of course the boot is a decent size even with a full complement of passengers. When required, the rear seats fold almost effortlessly to form a flat surface.
<br/>
<br/>Engine is very quiet and smooth. At first it seemed to lack "grunt" but once I was used to it the power is very progressive and excellent for overtaking. Ride seems very soft but steady, thanks to the wide track. Instruments very clear and the climate control is both quiet and efficient.
<br/>
<br/>Critcisms: diesel is expensive and auto only available on petrol. Equipment level of basic petrol is bit disappointing (no ESP or TC). Driving position rather close to windscreen pillar (I am 5 feet 8) obstructing front three-quarter vision. I disliked the action of the fascia-mounted handbrake (auto has foot parking brake) but could get used to it. Some wind noise at 75 mph, but otherwise very quiet (better than Grand Scenic or Touran). Choice of colours limited too. Limited engine range compared to its mini-MPV rivals puts it into a more exclusive category. Where I live (Valencia) there is a waiting list for some versions, especially the automatics.

Flushgord's Response to flushgord's Review

Written on: 20/04/2012

I've still got this car - it's now 6 years old and I've done approaching 50k.
No problems at all apart from an occasional rattle on the passenger side of the dash at low revs on poor roads. I regularly get 55 - 60mpg now driving it using hypermiling techniques. I love it and plan to keep it for many years. It is cheap to insure and service (local dealer is very good - throws in free MOT and recovery service).

“I've done 10,000 miles in 7 months, and this car has...”

Written on: 04/05/2007 by Rob Savage (1 review written)

I've done 10,000 miles in 7 months, and this car has been outstandingly reliable to date. Fuel consumption is averaging about 47.5mpg on a variety of short and long journeys, with a worst of 44 and best of 52. The fuel consumption is gradually improving as the engine beds in (now up to 13,000 miles). That said, I do drive with a light foot. Over 70mph it is noticeable that fuel consumption falls away quite sharply. Stick to 65mph and it's around 50mpg on a motorway trip. Kids like being able to… Read Full Review

“Although on face value, the Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i is a...”

Written on: 01/02/2007 by incagem (1 review written)

Although on face value, the Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i is a very practical car and great for passengers who suffer with travel sickness (extra person in front and rear seats being higher than the front giving better vision ahead) its downfall is it's fuel economy. If you drive on long straight roads in 6th gear at 40mph you can achieve figures in the high 40's. If you drive on "normal" roads, stop and start at traffic lights, junctions etc and travel at 60 to 70 mph on the motorways and major roads… Read Full Review

Lizie's Response to incagem's Review

Written on: 19/09/2007

I have an FR-V 2.2 ICDT-I Sport and have no problems with it. I get 45 or more on short journeys and 55 on long ones with out having to drive in 6th gear. When doing 30 I drive it in 4th at 30 5th at 40 and 6th at 50 and above. Perhaps you need to listen to you engine more, it will tell you when to change gear. If your in the right gear it purrs and yes it can drink diesel on a motorway, but the motorway speed is only 70 anyway and at that speed mine does 55 to the gallon quite easily.

“I wanted six seats and so looked at the Fiat Multipla...”

Written on: 06/12/2006 by luckhurst (1 review written)

I wanted six seats and so looked at the Fiat Multipla but history gives it a bad name and the Fiat salesmen told me that Honda now do a six seater.
So off I went to see the Honda and as soon as I saw it I thought yes and said I'll have one. Then they told me that a new diesel model is coming out very soon so there we have it.
The Honda FRV 2.2 Diesel looks good and drives good - all round I'm very satisfied with my selection - brilliant… Read Full Review

“My previous car was a Multipla and I was therefore...”

Written on: 05/12/2006 by GWB (2 reviews written)

My previous car was a Multipla and I was therefore very used to having good all-round vision with a comfortable driving position. Before buying the Honda, I had tested out VW Touran, Vauxhall Zafira and Renault Scenic. All four were tempting in their own way, but I felt that the Honda just shaded the others and my final decision was also influenced by Honda's reputation for reliability.
I can perhaps best summarise my view by saying that it was the one car that I would have been happy to drive… Read Full Review

“Had a shortlist of the Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i or...”

Written on: 19/09/2005 by autoq (1 review written)

Had a shortlist of the Honda FR-V 2.2 CDT-i or GrandScenic (also had 407SW and Mazda5, the Mazda didn't have a diesel , and the 407 didn't have the same height of loading-bay i.e. try sticking a bike in it).
Nearly went for the Scenic, but decided that the Honda was generally a better built package - ( 5 year servicing deal was a factor). It's a class above the Scenic quality wise - athough the Scenic has some good features - e.g. underseat storage, sun screens built into the door ,etc. Also… Read Full Review