Nikon Coolpix 885 Reviews

• Battery Life

Nikon Coolpix 885 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Nikon Coolpix 885

Nikon Coolpix 885

“I have owned my coolpix 885 for over 5 years and have...”

Written on: 02/06/2008 by jmcdonald140 (1 review written)

I have owned my coolpix 885 for over 5 years and have taken several hundred pictures with it. I have only just gotten the system error problem. I did some research on the error came up and found that Nikon has addressed the issue with a firmware upgrade and has an offer for customers to send the camera in to have them clear the error if we can't do it with the suggested fixes. I have had years of enjoyment with my camera. I brought it when it first hit the market and I still feel it is one… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“The Nikon Coolpix 885 is my first digital camera and...”

Written on: 07/05/2005 by mgztt190 (1 review written)

The Nikon Coolpix 885 is my first digital camera and the catalyst for hours of subsequent fun and a recent investment in a grown up digital SLR kit (again Nikon of course).

I have travelled extensively with this camera - hot, cold, mountains, beaches, towns - you name it - the camera has been there. And to be honest I haven't been that tender and loving with it, I've dropped it, squashed it, got it wet, left it in the sun, got sand in it... but 3 years on nothing has gone wrong and it still… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“The Nikon Coolpix 885 is my forst digital camera and I...”

Written on: 01/02/2004 by damonff (1 review written)

The Nikon Coolpix 885 is my forst digital camera and I like it very much. I haven't had any problems with it and I've taken it everywhere from China to Hawaii. At 3.2 effective megapixels, it's perfect for me as I view all of my pictures on my G4 Powerbook which integrates with the camera perfectly. Good camera… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“I had the 1st problem with my Nikon Coolpix 885...”

Written on: 16/12/2003 by LeTit (1 review written)

I had the 1st problem with my Nikon Coolpix 885 digital camera after 3 months of use. All pictures came out fuzzy. I returned the camera under warranty. It came back a month later with exactly the same problem!
The camera was returned a 2nd time and still was not back after 5 weeks at Nikon's!
My reseller was kind enough to exchange the camera with a new one.
The new camera broke down after about 3 months of use. "System error", could not retract lens nor shut down the camera.
I returned it… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“For what I use it for this little baby has far...”

Written on: 12/02/2003 by Squiglet. (1 review written)

For what I use it for this little baby has far exceeded my expectations. Top of the list is excellent picture quality -good enough to zoom in on an area and make a 10x8 print if you want. It is a nice size and shape to hold if you have - like me - big hands that struggle with some of the small Sony's. And it feels (and is) well-made and capable of taking the hard knocks that come from activity hoidays. The major irritation is taking flash photographs, where the delay between pressing the button… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“An excellent camera for my specific needs - a small,...”

Written on: 02/02/2003 by Mike. (1 review written)

An excellent camera for my specific needs - a small, simple, point and shoot camera that produces impressive results, and can also be used for digiscoping. It's size and shape are very convenient - the camera can be kept in a jacket pocket. Auto mode normally works well. The SCENE options also produce good quality results for a range of specific circumstances. In the relatively few cases where the preset options are not appropriate - for example small bird silhouetted against bright background… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“The Nikon Coolpix 885 has been a big disappointment. ”

Written on: 31/12/2002 by Doc. (1 review written)

The Nikon Coolpix 885 has been a big disappointment.

I was trying to decide between the Nikon 885 and the Sony P9. I thought - "Cameras - it has to be Nikon". What a mistake.
The main problem is an awful magenta fringe around dark objects on bright backgrounds, like trees infront of sky. This, I believe, is not lens abberations but something to do with the CCD. It was re-assuring to see other reviwers suffering from this too. To me, the fringing makes the pictures unacceptable and I find… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“I originally owned an Coolpix 880 which was superb, it...”

Written on: 27/11/2002 by Andy. (1 review written)

I originally owned an Coolpix 880 which was superb, it met with an untimely demise which meant that the Insurance company replaced it with the 885. What a disappointment!!. The pictures all have a pinky red tinge, and are not a patch on my old 880. The camera also locked up after 2 weeks and had to be replaced (which took 3 weeks). My recommendation is "Dont Buy It"… Read Full Review

Nikon Coolpix 885

“No formal review of the Nikon Coolpix 885 is being...”

Written on: 11/10/2002 by multisync. (1 review written)

No formal review of the Nikon Coolpix 885 is being done because the SYSTEM ERROR problem would make a review pointless. DON'T BUY THE CAMERA… Read Full Review

165827_Eh9801's Response to multisync.'s Review

Written on: 14/08/2004

I experienced the same "system Error" on my 775, when the lens cover wouldn't open. I could hear the motor trying to open, but in record mode, all I got was the error message. I could still review and delete so I knew the smarts were still working. We sent it to Nikon who said cheaper to replace than repair and after buying a Canon S1 IS (fabulous every time) we pulled the Nikon apart months later with a craft knife to undo the screws and 10mins later we had it working fine, just reset the flywheel for the lens motor and hey presto!! It is a repair scam - they collect the unwanted written-off camera, fix them in 5mins and sell them off as ex demo!! My advice - DIY, you have nothing to lose!!

Nikon Coolpix 885

“My Nikon Coolpix 885 digital camera stopped working...”

Written on: 17/06/2002 by Raymond Pau. (1 review written)

My Nikon Coolpix 885 digital camera stopped working after 4 days. A system error froze the whole thing. Based on my study for this error on the internet, I just realised that this is a very common error for Nikon Digital Camera 770, 775, 880, 885 and 995. I can say this is an unrecoverable problem.

Some suggestion for this problems are: remove battery and put it back later, change compact flash card, change battery and etc. I tell you, you may luckily temporarily solve, just like my case… Read Full Review

43020_Multisync.'s Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 11/10/2002

I wish I had read it before I bought the camera. I am sitting here with a "SYSTEM ERROR" and no way to fix it. I am going to try to get NIKON to make good on this.

Kafkaian's Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 11/09/2004

This camera came up with stuck lenses and system errors from day 1. The retailer I purchased from fobbed me off and after two years of terrible reliablity the thing came to a noisy halt. Nikon UK didn't want to know offering me a pathetic reduction off a 5200 replacement. I have since purchased a Canon G5 which is excellent. After 24 years of loyalty to Nikon, I will be selling all my Nikon SLR equipment and assigning Nikon to the also rans. Their quality is not what it used to be and their arrogance is astounding.

Francis's Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 27/08/2004

I had the same SYSTEM ERROR with my four year old 885. The lens would not move back into the camera when switched off. After taking out the battery and powering on the lens would move back into the camera then move back out. Tried the technique of holding in the lens when it went to move out which made the camera think the lens cap was on. After several goes at this technique I was about to give up when I tried (in desparation) to pull out the lens when it was fully extended. This seemed to work and the camera's working again. Seems like the lens motor gets stuck or fails to fully extend/retract. Thanks to the last reviewer, was about to throw the camera in the bin. Looks like Nikon won't have many customers in a few years if faults like this keep getting reported....

Andylong's Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 03/06/2004

SYSTEM ERROR FIX
<br>
<br>After weeks of messing about looking for fixes to this problem, I was just about to send my camera back to Nikon for repair (probably not cheap). Before doing so, I let one of the techies at work look at it who has managed to fix it :-
<br>* Switch camera on in Auto mode with lens in
<br>* Be brave and force the lens as far in as it will go when it tries to extend.
<br>* Voila! no more system errors and camera works fine!

Backflowdave's Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 31/03/2004

I purchased an 885 in Nov 2001. I took about 14,800 pictures with it. first saw System Error with the lens sticking as it is put away when powered down.
<br>Battery removal and replacement helped off and on for a year, but it finally died with noise like a rattlesnake buzzing. (Since I live in the Arizona Desert I hear them a lot. This also explains the sand getting in the lens gears.) Now if it starts at all the lens goes all the way in, keeps turning and extnds all the way.
<br>I took the whole thing apart down to removing the lens as a unit, reset it to closed by turning the motor several thousand turns and reassembled it.
<br>(Tearing the thing down , even with a manual is a big , long job. I would not do it again unless I had new parts ready to stick in.)
<br> No change. Still shows error. I replaced it with a 4300. 4300 not as good for close up focus. Have taken about 500 pictures in 3 weeks with it.
<br>Other than this problem the camera has been good.

Jchavez.'s Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 17/06/2003

I had no complaints about the basic operations of this camera, until this System Error showed up. Now after researching on the internet, I wish I hadn't invested in such a poorly supported and poorly functioning camera.

87842_Yoto.'s Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 10/04/2003

System error also happen on my Coolpix 4300.
<br>I purchase on Dec 2002, and only use few times.
<br>How bad this equipment.
<br>Hello Nikon, are you serious to sell good product ?
<br>y_yoto@bdg.centrin.net.id

Yalcin Aykas.'s Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 22/12/2002

I met System Error after a 5 months use. It lasted one day, after various battery removal and insertion sequences, it recovered again. Next day I noticed overexposure and focus problems at pictures. Today I've taken a couple of pictures outside, made an exposure adjustment (-2, bottom line), but yielded overexposed pics again.
Anybody suggests that a firmware update may help?

57948_Kerry.'s Response to Raymond Pau.'s Review

Written on: 14/12/2002

"System Error" is such a systemic problem with the 885 (and other cameras) I would suggest to Nikon that they offer an "upgrade/trade-in" option to a non-failing camera series (if they have one!) for us poor unfortunates who purchased this model in good faith.

Nikon Coolpix 885

“The Nikon Coolpix 885 digital camera was my first step...”

Written on: 03/04/2002 by Danal7375. (1 review written)

The Nikon Coolpix 885 digital camera was my first step into digital photography a couple of months ago and i have now travelled across Europe and Far East with this camera and filled 128MB memory cards over and over again with great quality shots from landscapes, action shots, artistic shots, portraits etc etc

If you venture beyond the fully automatic point and click setting, the functionality of the camera can be a little bewildering at first, but you pick up on the easy to use menus very… Read Full Review

20723_Roy.'s Response to Danal7375.'s Review

Written on: 22/04/2002

I found the review very encouraging as I have ordered an 885 on the net.
<br>Many Thanks

Nikon Coolpix 885

“Magnificent picture quality! ”

Written on: 05/11/2001 by Nikolas Louvranos. (1 review written)

Magnificent picture quality!
If you aren't convinced easily check out these links of pictures I've recently taken.
Mind you, the pictures have undergone a 66% further compression when they were stored on the web.

It's very easy to use. Browse the menus in a breeze.
Museum… Read Full Review

8582_Nigel.'s Response to 5513_Nikolas Louvranos.'s Review

Written on: 05/01/2002

Very helpful review. Thanks

61867_Doc.'s Response to 5513_Nikolas Louvranos.'s Review

Written on: 31/12/2002

Are we talking about the same camera?