Minolta Dimage 5 Reviews

• Battery Life

Minolta Dimage 5 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Minolta Dimage 5

Minolta Dimage 5

“Despite having been back for servicing once - and the...”

Written on: 17/09/2004 by MarkInSussex (1 review written)

Despite having been back for servicing once - and the latest quote of £158 will not persuade me to throw any more money at Minolta - the camera has always failed to perform to my expectations.

The battery life is poor, it doesn't support large flash cards and worst of all its focussing on distant objects (more than a few feet!) is terrible. The only good photographs I have achieved with this camera are macro shots in good sunshine. Reds are bad in nearly all photographs. I get better… Read Full Review

Minolta Dimage 5

“The Minolta Dimage 5 is a very good camera if you look...”

Written on: 14/07/2004 by mktrej (1 review written)

The Minolta Dimage 5 is a very good camera if you look for flexibility if you are kind of a pro-wanna-be in photography this is the one for you if you want a fancy camera to get the pictures with your friends in a party or vacations forget about it. The great variety of options and the quality of the picture is very, very good… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Minolta Dimage 5

“Under no circumstances will I buy another and the...”

Written on: 02/06/2003 by Derek Knotty. (1 review written)

Under no circumstances will I buy another and the frustrations are simply not worth the occasional good (but not exceptional) picture. The after sales support is bad and unhelpful (I suspect they just pressed the reset button and sent it back to me and thereafter they have been completely disinterested - I presume because everyone has the same problem and they can't get it right!)
DON'T GET ONE - it will drive you demented!… Read Full Review

Minolta Dimage 5

“Over all I love this camera but I wouldn't recomend it...”

Written on: 01/11/2002 by shutterhunter. (1 review written)

Over all I love this camera but I wouldn't recomend it for a novice. The freatures are great for a serious photographer but would prove daunting for a beginner. The creative control that can be achieved with the Dimage 5 is suprising. The white balance can be used to get some astounding effects by using different colored cards, some of which match what the results of using filters with a SLR. Along with its many other features (including a nifty timed exposure setting) Minolta has put a pro… Read Full Review

Minolta Dimage 5

“I have had this Minolta Dimage 5 digital camera about...”

Written on: 16/09/2002 by Lynda. (1 review written)

I have had this Minolta Dimage 5 digital camera about six months and I really like the way that the camera functions and the quality of pictures that I get. I appreciate the ease with which I can download the pictures and the software that comes with the camera is great for basic manipulating of the photos… Read Full Review

Minolta Dimage 5

“Well... I am on my second Minolta Dimage 5 digital...”

Written on: 23/04/2002 by Jim Halsey. (1 review written)

Well... I am on my second Minolta Dimage 5 digital camera. I purchased the first one from a high street store, tried it for a few days and found the quality to be very good, but lost of out of focus shots. Found camera to be over 20% cheaper on the net, so returned unit and bought from the net. The second camera seems to be much better-almost no out of focus shots! (I am guessing that this might be a firmware issue, but I am unaware how to check the firmware!)… Read Full Review

36457_David.'s Response to Jim Halsey.'s Review

Written on: 05/09/2002

Check Minolta Europe web site for firmware update, includes instructions on how to check current version. I bought a DiMAGE 5 in May, had to return to Minolta UK for repair to focus system (50% shots out of focus, even though camera reported focus lock). Now very pleased with results, but find it best to use Aperture priority to force f8 and gain depth of field and sharpness.(you will need a steady hand as this can result in slow shutter speeds with risk of camera shake, the DiMAGE is much lighter than my old Nikon SLR, hence slightly more prone to shake, but I find it fits my hand well). All in all a good value for money buy for those who have moved from a SLR and are prepared to use it's many features.(You get better results than the program mode, but that is accepable if you just want point and press funtionality)

Minolta Dimage 5

“About the batteries on the Minolta Dimage 5 digital...”

Written on: 21/04/2002 by Davek. (1 review written)

About the batteries on the Minolta Dimage 5 digital camera: with the newest firmware (056) the camera seems to last more than 200 shots with my GP 1800 mAh batteries, so that's actually not a problem. I always carry two sets of batteries, and so far this has been all I needed.

I find the Dimage 5 to be the ultimate 3 Mpixel camera for a photo enthusiast on budget. After using the 7x zoom, there's no way I'm ever going back to a camera with a shorter zoom… Read Full Review

Minolta Dimage 5

“I have tried very hard to get a redeye shot with this...”

Written on: 21/02/2002 by Richard W.Brown. (1 review written)

I have tried very hard to get a redeye shot with this Minolta dimage 5 digital camera and, to date, have failed. This gives me confidence when taking any shots using flash. I love taking nature shots, birds, bees, butterflies, all on the wing etc.,and use a tripod. But the lack of a remote is annoying. Dimage 7 and 5 do not have that facility. It means basically that I have to be hovering behind the camera to take the picture and that rules out 90% of shots. Why is it that Minolta is so mean… Read Full Review

36459_David.'s Response to Richard W.Brown.'s Review

Written on: 05/09/2002

I have bought a DiMAGE 5 as well, I think you will find that there are 2 cable releases available (long and short) not sure about a wireless remote, I have a feeling that I saw something about one when I was looking for a compatible flashgun. (not found one yet, if anybody has please let us know). So far no problems with my macro/nature shots, but then I have not tried anything really small as a subject yet.

Minolta Dimage 5

“Without doubt the finest camera I have owned in 30...”

Written on: 04/11/2001 by Charles G. (1 review written)

Without doubt the finest camera I have owned in 30 years of fairly dedicated SLR usage. Enough manual control to keep even a dyed-in-the-wool fiddler like me happy, and capabilities in auto mode that make manual control (almost) redundant.

Minolta have clearly thought VERY hard about this design and the results show it. Flash control is excellent, autofocus is seldom fooled, exposure is high reliable.

In the 3 weeks since buying I have used it indoors, outdoors in the UK and outdoors in the… Read Full Review

10773_Travis.'s Response to 5497_Charles G.'s Review

Written on: 27/01/2002

I love my dimage 5, a bit pricey but you get more than your money's worth....I haven't put mine down since I bought it....

36463_David.'s Response to 5497_Charles G.'s Review

Written on: 05/09/2002

I have had my DiMAGE 5 since May 2002, first results disappointing, many out of focus, returned to Minolta UK for checking, (very impressed, returned within 10 days). Now working very well, auto focus is a little slow compared to my old Nikon SLR, but accepable. I find that it is better to override the program to increase aperture, giving better depth of field and sharpness, but on the whole very impressed now the focus system has been fixed