Suzuki SV650S Reviews

Media Gallery for Suzuki SV650S

Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki SV650S

“Sv650s K7”

Written on: 04/05/2013 by Kimm742 (60 reviews written)

19 year old son got this once he passed his test and said goodbye to his Daelim 125. I fitted a 33 bhp restrictor kit, and away he went.It's metallic blue with a full fairing, very low mileage and at a very good price. And, as I'm a named rider on his policy, I get to play with it as well. This is an excellent mid-size bike, delivering big dollops of torque from quite low in the rev range (the restrictor kit affects top end and full throttle, mid-range is thankfully almost untouched. no need… Read Full Review

“Suzuki sv650s K1”

Written on: 13/02/2013

This is my first big bike so I only have a couple of other bikes to compare it to, ie those I used for training: CBF 500 Bandit and CBF 600. The SV sounds and looks great. Mine is fully faired with a Blue Flame exhaust. As a first bike for a novice, handling is very good and acceleration smooth. It is quite light for a big bike which is another advantage for a newbie and there is plenty of performance packed in the V twin engine. I'm told by those who know that the engine is bulletproof as long… Read Full Review

“Trusty Suzy”

Written on: 23/01/2013 by Macs55 (1 review written)

My '02 SV650 introduced me to the world of motorcycling. Bought it May of 2012 and have used it for 1 or 2 up city commuting during the weekdays and always look forward to the weekends as I would be able ride it up the twisty roads of Sierra Madre. 8 months after it became mine, I participated in the BOSS Ironman Challenge. This is a motorally spanning 1,200kms which has to be finished within 24hrs. I did it in 18h and 47m. I've added 6000miles to its odometer since owning it and can say that I… Read Full Review

“Good 'all rounder' 2011 Sv650s”

Written on: 07/05/2012 by bmw e30 (1 review written)

I bought my Sv new from the Suzuki dealer 30th Sept 2011, purely because at the time i owned a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and trade-in price was better than i could sell it for privately on eBay. So anyway, OTR price was £4465, i got £1550 trade-in so only needed to pay £2915 cash to buy it. I've been riding 17yrs, been through alot of different bikes, Yam DT's, CB's, VFR's, owned a Honda Fireblade for 5yrs from 2003-2008, then a Honda Cg125! for a yr(cheap motoring to work), then a Kawasaki… Read Full Review

Ljt3759's Response to bmw e30's Review

Written on: 21/05/2013

Great review, I noticed you had a GPZ500 before, I currently have a GPZ, but I'm looking to buy a new (second hand) bike in a few months.

I find the GPZ is unrideable because it's so lumpy below 5K RPM, the top end it nice, but I would enjoy a bit more power.

Engine wise, how would you compare them? Top and bottom end, for overtaking? I don't do more than 100mph, but like to be able to overtake quick so need the acceleration.

I have a small budget of £1,500 (hoping I can sell my GPZ for around £1,100) But I'm wondering if the SV will be the next bike for me, I do like the sound of V twins, and would like a stronger bottom end. I've rode a Bandit 1200 and that is on the table right now, as well as a Hornet 900.

Written on: 23/05/2013

Hi. The bandit 1200 is a great bike, mine wasn't as reliable as i hoped as electrical problems led me to trade it in against the SV, but i do miss the long gears, big grunty engine with loads of low down torque. Shame it was just too heavy and handled like a boat.
with regards to the GPZ, mine was grumbly below 3k but 5k??? Are you sure yours is running ok? The power kicked in at 6k on my gpz like a power band.
The SV is an excellent bike for a budget, but be prepared for corrosion and boredom. The engine is good but linear power and an unexciting ride soon wears thin. Speedwise, there's little in it tbh, both bikes accelerate up to 90 quick, id say the sv had the edge but it didn't feel like it due to the linear soft feeling torque, whereas the gpz was alot more involving due to loving being thrashed! The Sv just bored me. In real world riding it was easy to ride SV quickly, much more so than the Gpz. Out of the 2 the SV is definitely the better bike, if i were you id look at the older pre 2000? one as it is same engine, as quick, cheaper and looks a better made chassis than the newer one i had. Look on the SV forum as there are loads of well cared for examples going for cheap.
I now have a Yamaha Fazer fzs600 and my Ducati Monster 600. Both excellent bikes! I love the monster and its engine, but the fazer is very quick for a 600, mines a 1998 model. Check them out as they blow the SV out the water! In the time/distance my monster and sv hit 80 the fazer is at 120! Tho for sheer enjoyment my Monster wins every time! Def my favourite bike!

Written on: 23/05/2013

Top and bottom end.the sv accelerates the same so is less fussy as what gear your in. The fazer hits 8k and takes off! Below that its quick enough to overtake safely but for a rapid overtake go down 2 gears and go for it! Tho having so much top end makes the bottom end feel slow but its not.

Bmw E30's Response to bmw e30's Review

Ljt3759

My fazer only cost £1000 and 30k on the clock. Id recommend looking for one of these bikes as they can do everything well and return 55-60mpg. Handling on par with sv, much better than gpz, are 95bhp, carb'd, and seem well made. Its like a cbr in that respect, a do-all bike that's comfy too. Gearboxes are sweet too!

Ljt3759's reply to Bmw E30's Comment

Written on: 26/05/2013

Thanks for that, I've got a friend with an SV650 (though it's the pointy model and I can only afford £1,300 which would get me curvy, but the difference isn't much)

I'll seriously consider an FZS Fazer, they seem to be going at very similar prices.

On one hand I wish I could just overtake easily anywhere in the rev range, but on the other hand I just love it when you twist the wrist and wait for the power to launch like you've got a turbo!

It's going to be a hard decision. How much better would you say the SV is compared to the GPZ? (With emphasis on the engine)

Written on: 26/05/2013

The engine is much better than the gpz, power from low down all the way through the rev range. It's just so much easier to use as the gpz needs revving to get into the power where the v twin sv has power from low down, it's just the characteristics of a vee twin. But it will feel slower because of that but reality is it isn't. It's just much more usuable in every day use.

Ljt3759's reply to Bmw E30's Comment

Written on: 26/05/2013

Thanks, I'll give it a test ride!

“Lovely bike to ride, had my sv650s for one month now...”

Written on: 16/05/2011 by pencap80 (1 review written)

Lovely bike to ride, had my sv650s for one month now and really enjoy being out on it. I find it very easy to ride as my first bike! Been out for a few long rides out and have to say the only negative I can find is that the seat gets a bit uncomfortable after about an hour and a half! But this might b me just being new to riding! On the whole through I find it very fast! (Keeps up with my friends r6 no problem on country lane!) And a pleasure to ride!… Read Full Review

“2010 SV650Sport, this bike is a joy to ride. Great...”

Written on: 08/03/2011 by bentley936 (1 review written)

2010 SV650Sport, this bike is a joy to ride. Great bike for all riding styles, easy to live with at low and high revs. Looks great naked and faired, and that V-Twin sounds great, especially with a nice Mivvi GP exhaust stuck on the back...
This bike enspires confidence and is comfortable to ride all day. Lots of aftermarket bling available for this bike too, if you want that sort of thing.
Bring on the good weather...

“W reg Suzuki SV650S ”

Written on: 03/02/2011

W reg Suzuki SV650S

I bought an SV650S with aftermarket fairings in blue around a year ago. I had just scrapped a GPX750R Kawasaki after a crash and wanted a confidence rebuilder. I also wanted something with cheap insurance and that's easy to ride.

I once rode for 12 hours on B roads from Dorset to Birmingham and back - through Wales. That's one thing I love about this bike - after a few hundred miles you want something stable and forgiving too. I was impressed that I wasn't too sore and… Read Full Review

“I've Owned the bike for 4 Months now and can not fault...”

Written on: 26/08/2010

I've Owned the bike for 4 Months now and can not fault it, I've just sold my ZXR400 which was Unrestricted, this pushed out 65Bhp and was a real pocket rocket. When i bought the SV650's i was abit unsure of what to expect. I read one or two reviews online, but never test drove one. (Never even sat on it) I bought it on finance for about £3.700, 1 Owner - 4320 Miles on the clock. Bought from Millenium Motorcycles in Saint Helens, UK. The Bike is Part Faired with a Belly pan, Crash Bungs (Cause… Read Full Review

“I traded my Aprillia Pegaso for the Suzuki SV650s. For...”

Written on: 08/07/2010 by Hudson Hawk (8 reviews written)

I traded my Aprillia Pegaso for the Suzuki SV650s. For one very good reason. I wanted a more fun bike, easy to handle and not so heavy that it goes on it's side if you dont keep the centre of balance right. The Pegaso like all Trials Evo style bikes are pretty high of the ground and because I'm not build like a tank found it a bit heavy up top.
Anyway, I looked and looked at all bikes new and used and when I got aboard the Suzi it was love. Beautifully balanced, Light steering and easy riding… Read Full Review

“Sorry to anybody that only thinks this bike is...”

Written on: 04/04/2010

Sorry to anybody that only thinks this bike is average, your wrong.
Bikes are just a personal preference but overall these bikes have an excellent reputation. I own and have owned lots of bikes, if i had to own one out of all these it would be the sv 650 without any question. Been lucky enough to ride cbrs, fazers,gsxrs, which are all faster than the sv. But when i go in the garage on a nice sunny day and choose which bike today, its the 2000 model sv 650 that set me back £1200 in front of the… Read Full Review

“This is a bike to really enjoy, Nimble, Eager, Gutsy &...”

Written on: 25/03/2010

This is a bike to really enjoy, Nimble, Eager, Gutsy & Loveable. The standard can limits mid & top-end performance & sounds like a flatulent frog = Junked it for an appreciable improvement(Blue-flame fitted) The riding position for passenger is the pits, I removed P/seat, P/Footrests,& G/Rail saved lbs in useless dead-weight (fitted seat cowl).The `lizard skin covering on the R/seat is slippery as hell (I bonded a part sheet of luggage grip over it) now bum stays put whilst riding hard. This… Read Full Review

“Its not all its cracked up to be . ”

Written on: 05/01/2010 by monkimagic (9 reviews written)

Its not all its cracked up to be .

I have not gelled with my 1999 SV650s, I bought it based on reviews and find it OK. I have a main bike which is a Z1000 an this is a real beast, the best do it all with a great big grin on your face bike, the SV however does not float my boat. I had a 1991 VFR750 before the Sv and it was twice the bike.

Buy one if you wish but look at others too, esp the VFR

“For what your paying this bike is brilliant. SV2009s...”

Written on: 24/09/2009

For what your paying this bike is brilliant. SV2009s model and I have never been happier.

The bike is fun to ride an easy to learn on… Read Full Review

“I have been riding a K8 SV Sport from new for three...”

Written on: 01/07/2009

I have been riding a K8 SV Sport from new for three months. Handling is sublime but I'm a bit worried about where the tyres are going in terms of wear. The Dunlop Sportmax leave a 1cm (possibly less but I'm not going to actually measure it) strip of unworn contact with the ground at the front, but more than twice that at the rear - the opposite relation of wear ratio that I experienced with my last two bikes - a Triumph Sprint RS, and a 1999 Suzuki SV650S. These were on Bridgestone BT 020… Read Full Review

“The Suzuki SV650S is definitely not just a novice...”

Written on: 24/05/2009

The Suzuki SV650S is definitely not just a novice bike. Great value, acceleration, reliable, comfortable and plenty fast… Read Full Review

“Suzuki SV650S Sport, bought from new in October 2008...”

Written on: 19/05/2009 by jack161102 (2 reviews written)

Suzuki SV650S Sport, bought from new in October 2008 (K9 model). Beautiful looking bike, ideal for use as 1st "big" bike. Very forgiving and easy to handle, even for the novice rider. Nice riding position. Very reasonably priced for a new 650cc bike (at the time £3995 - now priced at £5295 May 2009). Although I love riding this bike, I can't see myself buying another Suzuki (see Bad Points) as it's just not worth the hassle… Read Full Review

“Bought myself an 07 full faired version with 2000...”

Written on: 20/04/2009 by Dannyevs (1 review written)

Bought myself an 07 full faired version with 2000 miles on it last November. What a choice I made!!! The Suzuki SV650S is really comfortable to ride and never fails to put a smile on my face whenever I open her out. Even happier when I had the chance to ride a bandit through the black mountains and it made me work really hard to get the same results as my sv650s. You cant go far wrong if your looking for a bike thats cheap to insure, looks great, sounds even better with an after market exhaust… Read Full Review

“The Suzuki SV650S is a fabulous, easy to handle and...”

Written on: 14/04/2009

The Suzuki SV650S is a fabulous, easy to handle and generous bike for those newly back to biking. Full of life and eager to please it has generous power and appears economical. Acquired my 2002 SV with full fairings in bright yellow with just 8k miles on the clock for a meagre £2000. Pristine condition. Great bike. Lots of fun… Read Full Review

Kevcollyer's Comment

Written on: 23/03/2010

I found this review very helpful because... i am in the process of buying one & am looking for reassurance.

“The Suzuki SV650S is very user friendly and can be a...”

Written on: 09/01/2009 by ridetolive45 (1 review written)

The Suzuki SV650S is very user friendly and can be a beast if you wind it up. it starts to move properly at about 4 -5k and is definately novice friendly if u want it to be, its not a bad looker either, mines on a 08ive had for 7 months and shes as good as new. If you are looking to get this bike then also consider the mid sized ducati monster as it also a nice ride. i have ridden many bikes includin 250 2ts k4 gixxer 6s 97 blade etc and this is buy far the most confy and user friendly the only… Read Full Review

“At first I didn't like it too much but the more I ride...”

Written on: 13/10/2008 by coachpaul (1 review written)

At first I didn't like it too much but the more I ride the more I like it. Great cornering, exceptional acceleration. The ABS is a nice plus also. The V-Twin puts off a nice rumble, getting ready to put aftermarket exhaust on over the winter. Think I settled for a yoshi slip on… Read Full Review