Slimming World Reviews

Summary

Slimming World offers weight control help and support to millions of people every year with their classes, magazines and recipes. Their online site has grown over the last few years, although it's still the traditional classes that are helping people get to their target weights.
Slimming World - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Slimming World

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)
Slimming World

“Pay to weigh and listen to other people talk on and on...”

Written on: 11/07/2014

After my third and last attempt to get into the swing of Slimming World I decided that these groups are only as good as the consultants running them and I was not willing to spend any more money trying to find a group that worked for me. It is okay for the critics of those who dare to complain about SW to come on here and say 'just try another group' but each time you do it costs you more money, probably more miles in petrol and you have to beat that 'back to square one' feeling you get each… Read Full Review

Slimming World

“Patronising, humiliating and embarrassing”

Written on: 05/03/2014 by Savanna1991 (1 review written)

I joined SW for the second time just after Christmas, having lost almost 5 stone following the plan several years ago so I know it works. Maybe it is the consultant at my group, but I felt patronised, humiliated and embarrassed every time I attended. In the end, despite having paid for 12 weeks, I only actually attended 6 sessions as I couldn't put myself through this awful experience anymore. I have however, followed the diet myself at home and have now lost my first stone. To be honest I… Read Full Review

Rosie134's Comment

Written on: 03/07/2014

You should report them to Slimming World Headquarters. They re-train consultants who aren't doing their job properly. My consultant is like this, that's why I have moved to a new group.

“portion size matters!!!!”

Written on: 02/08/2013 by maise (1 review written)

I am so glad l have found this review page. I have been going to slimmers world on & off for nearly two years only to loose at the most 6lb each time and that is sticking to the programme religiously and exercising on a treadmill 24 mins & swimming every other day. When l weighed in the other day l had gained 3lb by following the extra easy programme and was asked 'what on earth have you been doing'? By the lady who records your weight. (Which is not her place to comment)! This was not said… Read Full Review

Souxi's Response to maise's Review

Written on: 28/08/2013

I agree with you 100%. I followed this plan to the LETTER. I printed off my food plan every day and showed it my consultant every week. No one could work out why I was putting weight ON. It works for some people, although how I don't know, but it didn't work for me. It was so demoralising. So now I'm with WeightWatchers. What a difference!! In my first week I lost six pounds!!! I lost NOTHING with SW, not an ounce. You are quite correct, you do still need to watch your portion sizes. However with SW your lead to believe you can eat as much as you want of *free foods*, and *pile your plate high* and you will lose weight!! Rubbish. I ate lots of ruit because most of it is super speedy, and then got told to cut down!! What the hell DO they want you do to? Never again, it's WW all the way for me from now on. Best thing ever.

Savanna1991's Response to maise's Review

Written on: 05/03/2014

I completely agree with you - I hate SW and will not be going back to the patronising and humiliation. I will continue to lose weight on my own.

Slimming World

“Advised to stop eating fruit??”

Written on: 11/07/2013

I have been going to slimming world now for 2 months, weight loss at first was great. I struggle with my diet as I cant eat gluten, onion, hot spicy food, or dark green veg. I rely on fruits as a snack at work but stick to melon, apples and strawberries (the SS choices). I recieved a text today from our group leader saying "try n stop the snacks even if they r fruit ... nothing tastes as good as being slim feels" I was quite shocked at this cavalier approach to slimming and going against the… Read Full Review

Neveragainever's Comment

Written on: 22/07/2013

I ate loads of fruit as it is supposed to be free food, and some of the members advised me not to eat so much of it. Talk about confusing!!

Souxi's Comment

Written on: 27/07/2013

Yes me too. I ate LOADS of fruit because it's free food and super speedy and also got advised not to eat so much of it. What the hell ARE you supposed to do then? Talk about confusing.!

Slimming World

“very expensive way to get wrongly weighed !”

Written on: 07/05/2013

I started 3 weeks ago and each week the scales have been wrong. Last week everyone had gained weight in the entire group, we complained and was assured the scales were correct. This week everyone lost 10 to 12 pounds! again we were assured this was right because they were new scales from head office. Later we were weighed again and I went from loosing 8lb to gaining 1 1/2lb. Extremely disappointing all round. I complained to the area manager who was visiting only to be told it is not about… Read Full Review

Mum7's Comment

Written on: 04/06/2013

Oh thank god I have not been imagining things, this very issue has been bothering me because I suspected on several occasions that the scales at SW were not correct. The problem is if you question the scales and have been recorded as either having gained or 'maintained' you are accused of sour grapes. 'The scales never lie' apparently....

Neveragainever's Comment

Written on: 22/07/2013

Agreed. I queried the scales but was told they cannot be wrong!!

Souxi's Comment

Written on: 27/07/2013

Yep me too. Got told they are very expensive scales that calibrate themselves and are NEVER wrong.

Heidihenderson's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2013

Hi there,

I had a similar experience at my group.... can I be nosey and ask which are you live? I live in Yorkshire)

Slimming World

“Unprofessional to say the least”

Written on: 29/06/2012 by poppyhoney (1 review written)

The diet itself is easy enough. However the body image classes lacked enthusiasm and commitment from the instructor. She herself had virtualy stoppped following the diet and shared with us how much she had 'cheated' each week. The final straw was being in a session where the highest weight loss was half a pound from the group and the instructor was the slimmer of the week with a pound loss!!! This coupled with her criticism of a new member who had a fabulous first weeks loss and in his… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to poppyhoney's Review

Written on: 14/07/2012

Our consultant is amazing , and our body image is so supportive everyone gives help and support to each other , I've lost 6st 3lb in 18 months most new members lose loads men often lose 7lb each week for their first few weeks , but a lady lost 7 and a half on her first week , even a lady who has been coming the same time as me and lost 2 stone to date really followed the plan as it should and lost 6lb this week , anyone who wants to seriously want to lose weight should join slimming world . if your consultant isnt doing what she should be doing report her , you are paying her to help you.

“never again”

Written on: 11/01/2012

I was really motivated to start losing weight wheni went to slimming world having had 2 children and piled it on. Initailly i thought the consultant was really nice, that was until i started to breast feed my 4 month old daughter. I was sat at the back in a daytime meeting and am very discreat, however she told me that she would prefer me to next time 'bring something in a bottle' or to sit behind the screens as she didnt feel it was appropriate! Absolutly disgusting attitude, and i will never… Read Full Review

Garrodl's Comment

Written on: 12/01/2012

I agree with the consultant. I would feel uncomfortable and they can be mixed groups so I think its inappropriate. I appreciate you need to do it but she did say you could sit behind a screen. Why should everyone else feel uncomfortable?

Leander's Comment

Written on: 06/07/2012

Wow! I know I'm a bit late responding, but Garrodl!!! Really?

You're right, this has nothing to do with the diet, but I'm shocked at such a dated and medieval point of view surfacing in the year 2012.

I thought we were past all those archaic primitive thought processes, I'm shocked and saddened to see that you aren't.

As for the diet, fair play for you joining, there are many good consultants, even though the diet isn't for me, it works for many people and you have done well to join in the first place.
Don't be disheartened.

Abailey175's Comment

Written on: 17/01/2012

With all due respect this has nothing to do with slimming world being a good diet to follow ..this is a reviewer experiencing someone who is extremly ignorant ...I too was told to not bring my 5 month old daughter to group because she couldnt settle at the time i was abit put out but understood it could be off putting for the rest of the group but a woman breastfeeding is not something that should be addressed as inappropriate.....I would encourage you to join another group and have a chat with the consultant first before you went ...the plan is brilliant and it would be a shame for you to miss out ..best of luck

Leighh's Comment

Written on: 16/01/2012

Garrodl, what a pig headed response to the most natural thing in the world. Babies need to eat. FACT!!! And just because the baby is feeding from the breast, it doesn't mean that any part of the breast is visible. It can be done very discreetly.
I have no children but I still understand the concept of having to feed your child.

Slimming World

“i attend a slimming world class and i find the concept...”

Written on: 24/03/2011

i attend a slimming world class and i find the concept of eat as much AS YOU WANT OF FREE FOOD NOT REALLY GOOD FOR RETRAINING APPETITE SIze am totally unimpressed with being weighed by neighbours i started before christmas and there were almost 100 in class this has now dwindled to about 30 as people have complained that they would much rather be weighed by the leader one woman who weighed me even said god you dont look that heavy the leader says that this is slimming world policy but i know… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/05/2011

I completely agree. I stopped going to a class for the same reason. I strongly object to someone other than the consultant weighing me and having access to my personal details.

Written on: 04/01/2012

Punctuation, are you real! Makes me think that you are a slimming world consultant maybe? Needing to pick at someone for simply not liking the diet? To be frank if you are slimming world can go a **** itself xx (excuse the grammer, oops grammar)

Written on: 25/07/2011

punctuation--get a life -its not an english exam -it was moral support ;:'@{{]]}},,.

Written on: 19/07/2011

Guest # 2 let it go. The person not asking for someone to edit her piece. She was sharing her concerns and looking for empathy to support her feelings. It was to be read for content not writing mechanics. Geeeessshhhhhh

Written on: 08/07/2011

Please learn to use punctuation.

Slimming World

“Plucked up the courage to join SW 6 weeks ago. ”

Written on: 19/03/2011

Plucked up the courage to join SW 6 weeks ago.
Consultant rushed through the main principles of the plan and then I joined the group session. Consultant did lots of manic giggling and time wasting and seemed to have certain favourites that she concentrated on. Didn't learn anything constructive. 2nd week thought I would stay again to see if the group would be better. Not a chance complete waste of time. Coupled with the fact that the women who check you in and weigh you are as miserable as sin… Read Full Review

Nikki40192's Comment

Written on: 13/05/2011

I found this review not helpful because... this is her stupid opinion on her class that she attended! she cannot say that slimming world is not good just because the class she went to was bad! not all the women who wigh you in are miserable!!!! i've been at SW for 10 weeks now and lost 1 stone 13 lbs and the women who weigh you in are so friendly helpful and kind and my consultant does everything she can to help! i think this review is stupid and quite ignorant! not other peoples fault that this person doesnt want to stand on front of someone to be weighed! personally i think that helps because you dont want people telling you've put on weight every week!!!

Written on: 12/08/2011

I have to say that one of the reasons I stopped going to classes was down to the consultant.

Whenever I arrived at class she would be outside smoking until the last minute, rush through a really quick explanation with the newbies and be late starting the group. Would stand at the front making crude jokes and waving around the "blobby" (fat replica) and asking everyone to put their hand up if we lost any blobbies - felt like I was back in junior school. She came across very patronising and really felt I was being spoken to like a child with some of the things she said to the group! It even got to the point that I would only stay to class as punishment if I had not lost or had put on.

There was a bingo/raffle thing that took a while to go around but not much sharing of experiences or recipes plus every week having to contribute to the prize for who lost the most weight was a bit of a pain especially as I had paid for the classes already but was expected to buy something to put in every week too.

I did not feel particularly supported and lost enthusiasm very quickly.

I decided to go it alone and I managed to lose 18lbs over 6 months before my wedding and I was not even being totally strict and probably stretched my syns sometimes.

Another friend goes to a class she says is great so sometimes its just the consultant not working for you as she has lost 4 stone now. I would recommend trying another class. Tricky for me as this consultant seems to do most of the classes in the Hemel Hempstead area.

After I stopped following Slimming World I have slowly put the weight back on sadly so am considering trying my friend's group or going it alone again because the diet really does work. My mum and 2 of my bridesmaids lost large amounts of weight before my wedding on it too and I know loads of other people who swear by it. Don't write it off just yet, try another consultant and see if that helps.

Written on: 18/07/2011

None of you's mnention the meeting you attended, I am thinking of joining but the comments of the class consultant are putting me off, which class is it!!

Written on: 04/07/2011

I started at a class two weeks ago and my class is exactly like this! No advice or encouragement, just given pack and expected to pay £4.95 to step on the scales. An army of women run ours whilst the leader is outside smoking......it really isn't good, especially as one of them is really not up to working the lap top so it takes an age to book in. The leader just stands reading out losses and gains and that's it, time to go home.It really is the most unprofessional set up I have been to. Yet SW make it sound like it's the most glamorous thing in the world......I'm trying so hard to lose weight and it is happening slowly but I wonder why I'm paying and then scouring the internet for advice? This week may be my last if it doesn't improve.

Written on: 15/06/2011

I can completely understand this persons review! She sounds like she attended the same group as I did. I stopped going because the consultant just giggled and laughed her way through each meeting, she had her favourites too and would spend 10 minutes chatting to them while the rest of us waited. The only thing she did each week was go through everyone's weight losses each week and that was it - meeting over! We never learnt anything new. Therefore "image therapy" was not carried out. I ordered books / magazines each week, and each week she "forgot". I never ended up with my orders. Also my meeting was towards the end of the week - so there were only the least favourable flavours of HiFi bars left. There were never any mint madness or chocolate orange ones left! The person who weighed us in was completely miserable and if I had gained half a pound she would roll her eyes at me and tut tut under her breath!

Luckily I have done some research online to find out how the diet actually works and I feel more confident now. I will be enrolling in a new group with a different consultant on Monday. For me, the first time around was a waste of money because I didn't lose much (only £££'s) - but I blame that down to the consultant not explaining things properly! But that is my PERSONAL OPINION on that SPECIFIC group. Now that I understand the actual diet - I think it's brilliant!

Written on: 05/06/2011

Ladies I think your coments are so agressive not friendly. Person write what she thinks, you don't have to attack.
Anyway, I think the concultant have to be retrained. To not fail SW's reputation.

Sharpey66's Comment

Written on: 20/05/2011

I found this review not helpful because...The writer would find it an expensive waste of money if she did not stay to class.SW is a greatsupportive way to lose weight, share ideas and make likeminded friends who all help you along your journey.I think the writer should possibly try a different class to compare different delivery styles.I would suggest her negative attitude would probably influence the person who was weighing her. After all, you arent going to fall over yourself to be pleasant to someone who moans like she does.I say with her negative attitude its a good job she is not going back as she will never lose wight weight and would most likely put others off too. She should put money energy into reading the books than blaming everybody else for her failings.

Slimming World

“Hi there, have tried w/w but was so hungry & deprived...”

Written on: 06/05/2010

Hi there, have tried w/w but was so hungry & deprived so thought i would give this wirl, previously tried many years ago. I thought give extra easy a go sounded good but just got weighed & didnt loose anything. So i think i will go back to green & red days, can someone advise is this better than the extra easy as i thought it would be easier to keep tabs on? Feel quite disheartened on first week and need to loose 2 & half stone. Be greatful for your thoughts x… Read Full Review

Slimming World

“all diets work if you syick to the plan but i cant, i...”

Written on: 05/04/2010

all diets work if you syick to the plan but i cant, i loss 2lb one week and then next week 3lbs on… Read Full Review

Slimming World

“i have completed my first week with Slimming World,...”

Written on: 24/04/2009

i have completed my first week with Slimming World, after my fist meeting i came home with so much information and choices of food to choose from. the group leader was very warm and friendly, and the group was very cheerful. thankfully i have lost 3pounds… Read Full Review

Slimming World

“I started last monday. And have followed the book all...”

Written on: 14/10/2008

I started last monday. And have followed the book all week. I think i might have done something wrong. I weeighed myself today and have gained 2lbs and so depressed. Can anyone help?… Read Full Review

Michellemaria's Comment

Written on: 05/12/2008

I started slimming world 5 weeks ago. since then lost 1.5lb the first week then stayed the same for next wks, then lost 2.5lb and last week put on 0.5lb..i feel i done absolutely nothing different any of those weeks..very dissappointed. everyone else at the class are loosing weight every week..any advise?

448476_Slinkielady's Comment

Written on: 18/03/2009

hi
<br/>
<br/>I joined slimming world back in April 08. Since then I have lost 4st 1lb. I really struggled at first. I could not get to grips with the idea I could eat loads of food, FREE Food though. You need to be aware that by adding butter to potatoes changes it as a FREE food to a synful food. Adding some ready made sauces to pasta etc does the same. I went back to basics and if I plan in advance I can cook from scratch and eat loads and still loose weight. DON'TGIVE UP

Annmarieg16's Comment

Written on: 11/03/2009

I started 8 weeks ago and have lost 1 stone and 1 pound. my neighbour who also joined gained a pound in her first week and then lost 4 and a half pound the second week. Apparently this can happen for example i have gained two pound this weeks and yet I've been very good. It does work in the end, it's just your body adjusting. Look at the stories in the magazine and how long it took for those people to lose the weight. Nothing is instant, so stick with it and don't lose heart. I have NEVER lost weight with any diet before, I have an ovary problem that makes it difficult but this has worked for me.

438775_Bew's Comment

Written on: 07/02/2009

I am now on my 3rd week on the diet and have eaten so well and never hungry, l followed the diet 100% 1st week lost 1/2lb 2nd week gained 1 & 1/2 pounds whilst everyone in class was loosing pounds. I think that with some people it does take a few weeks to get into the diet and l am not giving up. You wrote comment in october 08 how are you doing now?

Slimming World

“Overall, I'm not very pleased with it, but my lack of...”

Written on: 16/04/2008

Overall, I'm not very pleased with it, but my lack of weight loss is probably due to my lack of committment because I don't like the food vegetarians are allowed to eat. Baked beans -- UGGH!!… Read Full Review

Emmajh's Comment

Written on: 30/08/2008

went once and put on 3 pounds following diet didn't have a sin all week! then rejoined 2 weeks ago stuck to it perfectly and stayed the same really peed off. I was advised to have soup for a week (no thank you!!!) and told that my diet may have been very healthy to start with. It is made out to be a dead cert for weight loss. not for me! Just a waste of money!

Slimming World

“I have tried Slimming World twice and I found it...”

Written on: 03/12/2007 by bumblebee12 (2 reviews written)

I have tried Slimming World twice and I found it quite good as I could eat all the pasta that I wanted on a green day and on a red day I could fill up on meat. I also liked it that I could still have a treat such as a take away or a chocolate bar, as long as it was counted in my points for that day.

The downside is you can start to take advantage of the fact you are allowed treats and eat more than ususal while kidding yourself that it's ok because it's within my points. I also found the 2… Read Full Review