123-Reg - www.123-reg.co.uk Reviews

Summary

Note from Review Centre: In September 2010, 123-Reg was bought out by Montagu Private Equity.
123-Reg - www.123-reg.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for 123-Reg - www.123-reg.co.uk

123-Reg - www.123-reg.co.uk

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“I have registered co.uk domain for my blog with 123...”

Written on: 05/06/2014 by jessgrace (2 reviews written)

I have registered co.uk domain for my blog with 123 reg and been told that I have to pay additional 5 pounds to hide my private details in WHOIS. My husband told me that this is not right as WHOIS Opt Out is free service just need to call Nominet… Read Full Review

Visit 123-reg.co.uk

“Expensive, poor support and difficult to leave.”

Written on: 13/05/2014 by Schroeder460 (1 review written)

The company seems to rely on referrals, for which they pay a fee and, as a result, you pay a premium for the company and the referrer - more than any other host. They also charge separately for domain hosting and email services, so if you cancel one, make sure you cancel the other or you will be charged anyway, even though they do not actually do anything for the money. You also cannot cancel prior to an invoice being issued and it then takes 3 weeks for the money to be returned… Read Full Review

Visit 123-reg.co.uk

“Moving domains to 123-reg always seems a hassle”

Written on: 27/02/2014

I’ve used 123-Reg for a number of years and when buying domains with them there usually isn’t a problem. However when trying to move domains to them from elsewhere it never seems to go smoothly and always ends up having to contact support to sort out the transfer. This happens even when just transferring a domain between 123-Reg users. For a company who claim to be the top domain seller in the UK I’d expect them to do a better job of being able to deal with the simple task of transferring… Read Full Review

Visit 123-reg.co.uk

“123-reg have gone down hill”

Written on: 13/02/2014 by Denial32 (1 review written)

I've been using 123-reg since 2003, and on the whole, it has been very good. This was until they decided to try to cash in on automatic renewals. I have a fairly large portfolio of domain names, and some of them I want to automatically renew, some of them I do not (I want to be notified by email when the renewal date approaches, more than once) I have tried to stop certain domains from automatically renewing, but instead I am faced with a screen that is not asking me if I want to stop… Read Full Review

Visit 123-reg.co.uk

“ Poor, could be greatly improved”

Written on: 16/01/2014 by cookiemosters (4 reviews written)

Cheap domains but complicated transfer procedures and you can not cancel auto-renewals (you have to cancel domain name), otherwise they will take money from your cc or paypal… Read Full Review

123Regonline's Response to cookiemosters's Review

Written on: 20/01/2014

Good Afternoon, My name is Karra i work here at 123-Reg.

I have come across your post and would like to help you further.
I can confirm Domain names can be set to expire via your control panel which does not immediately cancel your domain, below is a link on how this can be done:

[removed]

Domains that are set to expire will need to be manually renewed via your control panel.

If you have any further issues you would like me to address please provided a ticket ID or domain name so I can look into this further for you.

Kind Regards
Karra

“Contacting Support”

Written on: 18/12/2013 by charles.mcg (1 review written)

I have just contacted support and am unhappy that they couldnt help, i only asked for a password reset and was told to do it in the control panel… Read Full Review

“Bureaucrats in action ”

Written on: 02/10/2013 by Eugene_111 (1 review written)

I had a very negative experience with 123-Reg. I ordered a domain transfer to this company from my 123-reg account. They put my domain into someone's account and demand me to send tons of verification docs. Passport, driving license, statement... This is not a problem. But copies of bills for electricity and telephone for the 3 months period - that's something special. Support is polite, but they make me run in circles: create ticket, send docs via fax, create ticket send more docs... I've… Read Full Review

Visit 123-reg.co.uk

“Basic security errors; hidden restrictions on size”

Written on: 06/09/2013 by panops (1 review written)

1. The web hosting "welcome" email includes the FTP login password in plain text. It's bad enough that they store the password at all (as opposed to a salted hash) but sending it by email is inexcusable. 2. The "business" shared hosting package supposedly offers up to 50GB of storage. What they don't say anywhere I can see is that you are limited to 100,000 files, maybe 200,000 if you make a fuss and get the quota increased. Fine if you're hosting large image files, not much use if your site… Read Full Review

“Too slow”

Written on: 05/08/2013 by 7barct19 (3 reviews written)

Found my websites were loading too slowly, blamed my developer at first but when I moved host they loaded instantly. If you find it too slow I would recommend moving. Also I found the support team useless… Read Full Review

Webfusiononline's Response to 7barct19's Review

Written on: 06/08/2013

Hello,

My name is James and I work at 123-reg.

I am sorry to hear that you were experiencing issues with speed of your website which caused you to move away from 123-reg. I would like to take a look into the support you received to see where improvements can be made. If you can reply back on here with your username or ticket number, I will be able to look into this.

Regards

James

“Bad quality hosting ”

Written on: 27/04/2013

The hosting is slow, is failing often. It is expensive, compared to others. This company relies more on the customer service rather than strong servers/quality services. … Read Full Review

Visit 123-reg.co.uk

“general website critiicism - sorry”

Written on: 07/04/2013 by timmercier (1 review written)

the support i got from my e mail query was very good indeed, so thank you....my frustration was how difficult and bewildering your website is to navigate. I wanted to find an 'easy to view and understand' complete status and history for each of my two accounts, to discover very quickly whether I definitely was up to date with payments, and that my domains would be safe for another year. I looked hard, pressed lots of buttons that looked like they might lead me somewhere useful and never found… Read Full Review

“5 days offline!”

Written on: 03/02/2013 by TechieBloke (1 review written)

I have been with 123-reg and their parent company Webfusion since they started in 1997, usually I have no problems with them and the support while slow is usually ok, however this week they have gone right down in my estimation, on Wednesday the whole site went down, it was down for most of the day, since then I have not been able to change anything on my account, I have tried adding email addresses, changing DNS settings and trying to log a support call, I was only able to log a support call… Read Full Review

Davewardz's Response to TechieBloke's Review

Written on: 05/02/2013

123-reg have managed to misplace my data bases. they said it was due to migration. No back up. No mirror. No achive. Makes me wonder if my lost/loose data base will ever be reconnected. Plus they asked me to reconect/fix their screw ups. I will be asking for recompense, wonder what their answer will be?????

Techiebloke's reply to Davewardz's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2013

The answer will be no, they do not have any SLAs in place for customers, I already asked

“i would spend more money to buy better service”

Written on: 23/12/2012 by wonmanfactory (1 review written)

There is no FAQ section. Help files are completely useless. I tried to point my first domain to the root folder. It seemed the configuration was totally fine, but when I visit my domain, it keeps returning to 123-reg default page. I wrote a mail to 123-reg Support, they replied that the solution in provided in help files. After certain time, the domain return to my homepage properly for no reason. when I got my second domain, the same problem happens again. The new domain keeps returning to… Read Full Review

“Support... What Support?”

Written on: 12/11/2012 by Qwertyjab (1 review written)

I'm simply amazed at all the glowing reviews for 123reg. I have had my domain name registered with 123reg for some years with absolutely no problems. On recently learning that using UK data servers is of SEO benefit for UK businesses I decided to move my website from the free hosting service I have used to 123reg. After signing up to 123reg.com I set the name servers correctly. A day later I noticed no emails from my Google Apps and learned that my MX settings had been changed to 123reg… Read Full Review

Penny4Your's Response to Qwertyjab's Review

Written on: 12/11/2012

The glowing reviews are because they ask for them. They certainly dont ask you if you are not happy. And if they do it will only be at the end... so if you have a problem that is not resolved then they wont expect to send you s request to review them. Good for you for posting on here, because it really is shocking service.

Webfusiononline's Response to Qwertyjab's Review

Hello,

My names Nerys and I work here at 123-reg.

I would like to offer to look into the issues you have experienced further and work to the resolutions as soon as can be done. If you would like me to please confirm a support ticket ID and I will look into this for you.

Qwertyjab's reply to Webfusiononline's Comment

Written on: 12/11/2012

The fact I finally get some support via a review site rather than your own support channels is simply ludicrous.

123reg.co.uk failed miserably, I will be taking my business elsewhere, be posting my review of your services to my blog and any review site I come across.

Webfusiononline's reply to Qwertyjab's Comment

Written on: 13/11/2012

Hello,

If you do not wish to contact you that is absolutely fine and I will not. I would however ask if you would mind supplying a ticket ID number so I can look at this matter further. We take any issues with the support offered to our customers very seriously and being able to investigate your issue would allow me to discover what caused the issue and how support could have dealt with this in a better way.

“Contacting is pathetic”

Written on: 02/11/2012 by bukom (1 review written)

Only trouble is when one phones in the recording always says "due to an exceptional bla bla bla" translates into wait and wait and wait. So re-dial and call sales and bingo you are through straight away Further comment why must there be white font on a light blue background - unless they don'#t want you to read the samll print… Read Full Review

“Slow Service”

Written on: 26/10/2012

Some of our email addresses were duplicated, not sure how it happened but we had done nothing to cause this. Taken from the 3rd October to 23rd to get this resolved… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/10/2012

Hello,

I work here at 123-reg. I would like to look further into the reason behind this issue and the length of time it took for this to be resolved. If you would like me to please confirm a support ticket ID number and I will be in touch further.

“Support Issues”

Written on: 03/10/2012

I had an issue with information given in an email from 123-Reg.co.uk. The online Chat Support staff answered my questions in a timely manner - so, no complaints there. Unfortunately, the answer I got was not what I wanted. It seems that 123-Reg.co.uk have an email communications system that is not real-time responsive to requests - it seems that requests have to wait for the next database update to be actioned. In my opinion, this kind of data management should have been consigned to the… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/10/2012

I work here at 123-reg.

I would be interested in looking into your support issue and investigating what we can do to improve the services we offer and gather more information about the delay you experienced. If you could provide a support ticket ID or a domain name I will be in touch further.

Nerys

“Problems setting up a new email address and domain”

Written on: 02/10/2012

I found the 123.reg.co.uk website incredibly difficult to navigate and not user friendly in the slightest. The expense of setting up web domain hostings and email addresses was great and a lot more than I had expected. It is not good value for money at all. I have currently purchased two domain addresses and one email account but have no idea how to activate them or set them up as instructions on the site are not clear. In fact it was not explained to me initially that to purchase and set up… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/10/2012

Hello,

I work here at 123-reg and would be very keen to ensure that you have got your services set up and understand how to do what you need to.

I would also like to gather more feedback from you regarding the support material we offer and how this could be improved to make it easier to understand.

If you would like me to look into this for you please confirm a domain name or support ticket ID.

Nerys

“Fault in payment system cost me dearly.”

Written on: 02/10/2012

Processing a renewal should be straightforward but not with 123-reg. After processing renewal for several domains, the payment system reported that there was a fault and the process did not appear to complete. Upon going through the process for a second time, successfully, I then discovered that the domains had been renewed twice therefore costing me double what I had expected, (although I did get 2 years renewal instead of 1). Not great really however, as the extra money I then had to pay… Read Full Review

Hello,

I work here at 123-reg and I would like to look into this matter for you, so we can find out why you were told there was a fault and look into the support you have received.

IF you would like me to please confirm the domain name or support ticket ID.

“Small print FAIL”

Written on: 23/09/2012

Small print, small print, small print. If you can even find it, read it or you will be scr*wed. Prime example: "Important note for PayPal customers You are trying to set your 123-reg service(s) to expire. However, if you pay for these services using a PayPal account, you will need to also cancel your PayPal subscription, otherwise your payments will continue." I have other examples. Probably lost £100 in the last couple of years because they make it hard to find the info that matters. Half… Read Full Review

Written on: 24/09/2012

Hello,

I work here at 123-reg. Having seen your feedback I have looked into this and can confirm that provided services are cancelled directly with 123-reg prior to the billing date we will not charge for the service.

Once a service is cancelled with 123-reg stopping the billing agreement with PayPal is a way to completely close the billing side for the account if you no longer wish to have any services or domain names with 123-reg renewed by PayPal. PayPal will keep the agreement open unless it is cancelled directly with them. Once a service is cancelled, or a domain name is set to expire directly with ourselves we will not make any further charges for that product through PayPal.

I can see how the text you have quoted here is unclear regarding this and will have raise this to appropriate team to have removed to avoid any further confusion.

If you have been billed when you believe you should not have been I would be more than happy to have a look into this for you. If you would like me to please confirm a domain name or support ticket ID.

123-reg.co.uk