Marks & Spencer Furniture Reviews

• Layout of shop

Marks and Spencer Furniture - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Marks and Spencer Furniture

Marks and Spencer Furniture

“Disappointed with delivery and goods”

Written on: 24/09/2014 by olddear61 (1 review written)

Ordered a couple of items from the Lyra bedroom furniture range and am disappointed with them. Not being able to see them in store I assumed that, for the price I was paying, I would get really good quality goods but I am sure that I could have found better for half the price. A costly mistake and one that I will not make again. The delivery drivers had trouble finding my home as the road did not show on their sat nav and so I answered the door to two rather grumpy men who proceeded to… Read Full Review

“Chemical smell”

Written on: 19/09/2014 by LydiaCochrane (1 review written)

I love my new 4seater sonata sofa and Wyoming chair.They look fabulous and very stylish but the smell of chemicals since they arrived is quite overwhelming.I have been in touch with M & and this was after 2 weeks and I was advised to ventilate the room as much as possible and contact them again in two weeks if the smell is still evident..I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem… Read Full Review

“Be warned ”

Written on: 18/08/2014 by Slatteryyv33 (1 review written)

Steer clear of M&S furniture it is rubbish. I have a leather sofa from the Abbey range had it about 8 months and it looks years old. I have two arm chairs from a different design the leather is awful, and I hasten to add it wasn't the cheapest leather. I also purchased at the same time two further armchairs in fabric but the wheels are fitted back to front. If I had the funds to replace it I would and dispose of this rubbish. M&S maybe you need to look at your suppliers… Read Full Review

Pookie67's Comment

Written on: 04/10/2014

Totally agree with you here, our leather sofa and armchair we bought is really bad workmanship, they came out twice to repair arms on armchair, leather is very crumpled looking and loose, never would I buy from m&s again.. We paid a lot of money and the customer follow up is terrible m&s do nothing but give you phone numbers to sort out the problems yourself and then they try to brush you off with excuses before coming out to you, Very bad aftercare service

“Bedroom Furniture Manufacturing Defects”

Written on: 14/08/2014 by Cranger (1 review written)

In June this year I bought a complete bedroom furniture set in cream from Marks and Spencer's. After a few days I noticed that all my dark coloured clothing was getting white stains on it. The drawers of the chests of drawers have a defect and the coating was rubbing off on my clothes. M&S sent their expert to carry out a review and he said it was a manufacturing defect. M&S offered to replace the faulty items and when the replacements were delivered the new furniture was also faulty. Their… Read Full Review

“Do not buy a sofa from Marks & Spencers”

Written on: 04/08/2014 by cheryl.dunn.9887 (1 review written)

We bought a two and three seater sofa 8 years ago from the Chloe range and 8 months ago the bottom fell out of the two seater and the three seater is about to do the same!!! We are a family of three so most of it doesn't get used! I spoke to customer services and the furniture ombudsman but after 6 years nothing can be done, I really expected better from Marks and Spencer's and feel very let down. Other stores ie. DFS offer a 10yr guarantee "mmm think I'll go there". Our last settee was 15 yrs… Read Full Review

“Abbey leather sofa rubbish do not buy ”

Written on: 22/07/2014 by snHale110 (1 review written)

We brought at leather abbey sofa 7years ago from M&S expecting good quality.after the first six months the leather started to get scratches on the most used sofa so we complained and they sent a man round to paint the leather. The paint lasted about two weeks ,when the man came round he told us that M&S trade under quality but don't follow it any longer. My friend purchased a leather sofa from Argos costing third of the price of my sofa and its still perfect ( no scratches in sight ) I feel… Read Full Review

“Two two seater settees”

Written on: 06/07/2014

The settees were slightly sticky to touch when they arrived. As I had asked for them to be scotch guarded I thought it must be that and that once out of the polythene they would be ok. Not so . They became soiled straight away. I complained to marks and spencer and they sent out someone to look and report. He was hopeless, obviously being paid by them he was on their side as soon as he came in. He said the dirt was from our clothes, ( there are just two of us in our sixties ). We… Read Full Review

Written on: 07/07/2014

Please get in touch with their executive office.

1Cmr's Comment

Written on: 08/08/2014

How do we do this? have you any contact details? I am having a similar problem

Written on: 10/08/2014

Sorry haven 't replied sooner. You will find that you may have to gain an independent report (see my comments on georgian furniture). May be long winded but you will be successful if you persist. Good luck

Written on: 10/08/2014

Please see my reviews on georgia furniture and the outcome

“Poor cushion pads in back cushions”

Written on: 03/07/2014 by mearnsking (1 review written)

Purchased medium and large Fraser sofas in dark brown fine leather in February 2013. After several weeks noticed that the back cushions were creased and baggy as if the cushion pads were too small. On contacting M & a Fira representative called and said that the cushions were up to specification. He did however find a fault in an outer cover and said this would be replaced. This was on the medium size sofa. The replacement was received today and we find that it is for a small sofa… Read Full Review

“6yr old sofa”

Written on: 15/06/2014 by drnh44 (1 review written)

I have to start by saying I'm staggered at the low rating Marks have received here. I bought my sofa and armchair SIX years ago now what was from part of the outstanding value range of sofas. I paid £399 for the large 3 seater and £249 for the armchair...a complete bargain I thought at the time for M+S but didn't realise just how much of a bargain. They are both 6 yrs old now so I feel I'm fully qualified to review them. A household with 2 adults one being me, a 17st rugby player and 4… Read Full Review

Yatespr's Response to drnh44's Review

Written on: 08/07/2014

I have an Abbey Leather sofa and 2 chairs which have doen us proud for 12 years now. I am very pleased with their quality. however, when i look at the Abbey now in comparison the workmanship/quality seems to have deteriorated. Would honestly have loved to re purchase this sofa..but really unsure now that the quality is as it was.

“Saggy sofa!”

Written on: 15/06/2014 by 246Ashworth (1 review written)

Purchased a large sofa and love seat from the Georgia range which was delivered in August 2013. At first the sofa's were great but soon after the cushions started to sag leaving little support. After getting new interiors the same thing happened, the FIRA technician who M&S employ advised there are no alternatives and so to expect the same thing to happen again. And it did! I wrote to M&S and explained I was not happy with the quality of the sofas and I wanted a full refund. They called me and… Read Full Review

Written on: 15/06/2014

Read my comments re georgia sofas. Do not give up. Get an independent report.

Missie29D's Comment

Written on: 21/06/2014

Hi,
I also had a Georgia sofa, love seat and footstool delivered in August 2013. I had a problem with the fabric marking and complained the day it was delivered and again 10 days later, I have had FIRA and the furniture ombudsman involved and have now followed nannings and paid for an independent report which I will take to.the small claims court if necessary. The foam is also sagging along with other faults.

“Dreadful quality sofas, dreadful customer service ”

Written on: 03/06/2014 by AnnabelButler (1 review written)

Liars and cheats providing expensive furniture that isn't fit for purpose. Never buy furniture from M&S and like my Facebook post on M&S Facebook page. Go to people's posts and find my posts on the service I have had. If we are to expose M&S for their shabby quality and service we can only do it on their social media site to discourage people from using them… Read Full Review

“Not so Grand service!”

Written on: 03/06/2014

We purchased an Audley Grand sofa from the the M&S store at Tunbridge Wells in Feb 2014. As the sofa is quite large, we went for the "split" option, as we didn't want to struggle getting the item into our living room. The sofa would come in 2 parts, which could be securely clipped together once in situ. BIG mistake... The delivery guys realised there were no installation instructions that came with the sofa. They managed to get the legs on, but there didn't seem to be enough legs for the sofa… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/06/2014

Please read my comments regarding georgia sofas. Have had an independent report and submitted to m&s and will inform of the results. The report found manufacturing faults so it will be interesting to hear from the retailer!

“sofa, chair and footstool ”

Written on: 22/05/2014 by missie29D (1 review written)

I purchased a sofa, last year which was delivered in August, just after it was delivered I noticed a stain on one of the cushions which looked like grease, I contacted the branch where I purchased it, they ordered a new cover for that cushion,however it later appeared that the material marked just by sitting on it, I again contacted the and was told to wait until I received the new cover even though it was now two covers that were marked, I again contacted them to say I was not happy and they… Read Full Review

Nannying's Response to missie29D's Review

Written on: 23/05/2014

I have had an independent inspection of the sofas and have submitted their findings to the Ombudsman. The inspection found several manufacturing faults with the sofas and it will be interesting to hear the views of the Ombudsman. It appears from your review that the sofas have similar faults. If you want details of the independent inspection, I will happily supply them. It appears that FIRA are employed by M&S so therefore they are 99% of the time going to be on their side!

Written on: 23/05/2014

Thank you so much for replying to my comments, I would be very interested in the details for an independent inspection of my Georgia sofa, along with any tips you may have, the ombudsman ruled in Marks and Spencer favour taking FIRA's explanation of pile crush, I have not dealt with the problem of the foam yet. Have you been through the ombudsman before your latest independent inspection.
The marking of the material does not brush back, therefore I am not convinced on it being pile crush.

Written on: 13/06/2014

Hi, m&s have agreed to reimburse monies paid and to collect the furniture, after receiving the independent report. I have yet to agree. I feel they should also offer some form of goodwill considering the aggravation this has caused this past six months. Hope you contnue with your complaint. Please let me know. Good luck!

Written on: 14/06/2014

I am so pleased you have got your refund, I hope they paid for your inspection too.My daughter contacted M/S again about the foam but they wanted to send FIRA down again, we all know that is useless so I now have an independent report booked and will take it from there.
Good luck with your new sofa. M/S need to listen to their customers, so many of us are having similar problems, I think they have made too many cut backs.

Hi
I am so pleased you have got your refund, I hope they paid for your inspection too, my daughter contacted MS again about the foam but they offered to send FIRA down again which we all know is a waste of time, she has now booked an independent report and will go from there. It has been 10 months of stress whereas you should enjoy a new purchase, I have found it all very unsettling. Good luck with your new purchase.
I will let you know how I got on
Regards missie29d

Good morning

The independent report I had came from furniture reports - his name is Jason and his office is in Orpington. I think I may have told you this before. The retailer has offered to reimburse the cost of the report. Best of luck and please let me know.

Written on: 14/06/2014

Thank you, I had a card from the company my daughter chose, to confirm the appointment, his name is Jason from furniture reviews so may be the same guy. I hope I get the same outcome as you, I will let you know.

“Legless!”

Written on: 15/05/2014

Ordered and paid for a new sofa in February. Waited till the start of May for delivery on agreed date, but sofa turns up with no legs. The delivery people dumped the sofa on the floor and put me in touch with Customer Services. "No problem" legs will arrive within a few working days". Now 3 weeks later they are still lying to us saying the missing legs will turn up in a few days. Despite many phone calls, nothing has been achieved - the legs are still missing and we only have the same vague… Read Full Review

“Poor quality with poor aftercare”

Written on: 18/04/2014 by 78Crouch (1 review written)

We purchased some furniture a few years ago for our retirement home and within the guarantee limit it started to dip in the middle..we are in our late 60 and. use it about 20 times a year all together...ie a few weekends...marks use a company who sole aim is obviously to excuse the poor quality in other words the guarantee they give is not worth the paper it is written on...hence they are refusing to accept any responsibility to put it right in spite the fact that I also got an opinion from… Read Full Review

“Poor quality mattress”

Written on: 22/03/2014 by Karabim (2 reviews written)

After twelve months mattress is sagging badly and very uncomfortable. Lots of sleepless nights. Complained to Marks who organised for Fisa to inspect six weeks later. Not very prompt. Fisa changed visit date the night before due. My husband was very annoyed with them and when they visited the Inspector said he was surprised after so little time to see so much sagging. However Marks decided not to do anything about it. We complained to the furniture ombudsman and after five months and having… Read Full Review

“Disappointed and insulted....”

Written on: 02/03/2014 by Britneyv131 (1 review written)

Purchased Abbey sofa, love seat and footstool in January 14 sofa creaked from day 1. Cushions sagged within 3 weeks and leather wrinkled in 5 weeks.Visit from firs stated sofa was faulty and foam used in seats unsuitable. M&S are using cheap foam and not the cold cure type previously used....all down to cost....Basically cheap quality...I was lucky I was able to get a full refund after a lot of hassle...don't touch these with a barge pole… Read Full Review

“what a shambles !!!!!”

Written on: 04/02/2014

Two chairs purchased and delivered early November 2013. After approx. two weeks one of the cushions went saggy and four legs on one chair were loose ! Visit from FIRA to fix new cushion inner which did not arrive for this to be done ! Tightened up legs on one chair and did not look at other one as did not have permission ! Guess what ! second chair now has two wobbly legs and still no inner cushion has been fitted to chair. Was not told when ordered that legs came separately - I am supposed… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/02/2014

Please see my review on Georgia sofas. The inners of the cushions are completely baggy once one has sat on them. Have had two visits from FIRA who state they are fit for purpose! Am now in touch with the Ombudsman but dot hold out any hope. Good luck with your complaint. Also put your review on M&S site and Facebook.

“Georgia small sofas”

Written on: 15/01/2014 by Nannying (1 review written)

Purchased above sofas in mid December 2013, they look great BUT the cushions crease and look shabby after sitting on them so do the back cushions which wrinkle. Have had two visits from FIRA who both state that is the nature of the product. Also pinned to the sofas is label from the manufacturer stating that the seat cushion INNERS have to be removed and plumped monthly! I was not informed of this when purchasing the sofas and on removing the seat cushions there is a label attached to the… Read Full Review

Nannying's Response to Nannying's Review

Written on: 05/02/2014

Further to the above, the cushions on sofas look absolutely awful and when placing the seat cushion on sofa one has to SQUEEZE them in to fit therefore they ripple! The seating is 2inches bigger than the sofa but not according to FIRA technician! I am absolutely. Furious about this. Will await Ombudsman ha ha.

Marg1104's Response to Nannying's Review

Written on: 22/05/2014

I also have the small Georgia sofa, I did put a review on here earlier but I had to keep editing it as it said I used banned words, I therefore took out anything to do with Georgia and FIRA then it let me send.
Basically I totally agree with everything you said about the cushions and the poor quality of the foam, my main complaint was the material, Messina taupe which marks as soon as it is sat on and I have spent the last 9 months in contact with M & S,FIRA and the ombudsman regarding the marking of the material, the ombudsman took FIRA's report that it was due to pile crush and therefore that is the end of it as far as they are concerned, I have not mentioned the foam problem yet and wondered how you got on, I took delivery last August and did not have the labels that tell you to take the foam out once a month, that is ridiculous. I hope you managed to get yours resolved.

Marg1104's reply to Marg1104's Comment

Written on: 23/05/2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my comments, I would be very interested in the details for an independent inspection of my Georgia sofa and all the problems., also any tips you may have, I have not as yet reported the problem with the foam cushions etc.
I apologise if you receive this message more than once I am new to this site and having problems replying to you, I have tried several times.

Written on: 23/05/2014

Hi, the independent technician came from a company called Furniture Reports and the chap's name is Jason. I wouldn't get in touch with the company yet just wait and see how I get on with the Ombudsman first as the independent technician is quite expensive and I wouldn't want you to waste your time if my claim isn't successful. Jason found that the cushions on the sofa too big along with several other manufacturing faults. You will find the company on line.

Written on: 23/05/2014

Hi, once again thank you for replying, I will wait and see how you get on first.

Written on: 23/05/2014

I meant to say please get in touch with FIRA once again and complain about the foam. Good luck.

Written on: 24/05/2014

I will do, thank you and please let me know how you get on.

Missie29D's reply to Marg1104's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2014

Hi
Jason's report listed several faults with the sofa and love seat, we contacted M/S sending a copy of the report and the furniture was collected today. Why do we have to go through so much stress to get a result. It has taken 10 months to get a result, my first complaint was the day it was delivered and again 10 days later.
Thank you for all your comments and help.
I hope other people listen to your advice,

Nannying's reply to Missie29D's Comment

Written on: 11/07/2014

So glad it has worked out for you. Now we have to start looking for new furniture - hopefully we will have better luck next time.

“Problem with two Barletta sofas”

Written on: 02/01/2014 by ls62206 (1 review written)

We've an issue with both of our Barletta sofas. The fabric on the cushions irreversibly wrinkled and large gaps between the cushions (that also lack support) and the sofa is just a few weeks old. They look nothing like the sofa in the store or the pictures on the M&S website. Furthermore it seems M&S customer service process in response to our complaint has been poor and via a third party agent, FIRA. Customer satisfaction at M&S now appears optional. We are now seeking a refund via SCC if… Read Full Review

Nannying's Response to ls62206's Review

Written on: 03/01/2014

I have just purchased two georgia sofas and am awaiting a second visit from FIRA technician as the first call was regarding the back cushions which were crumpled and the rep said there would be no further action. Have now complained about the seat cushions that are approx 2inches too big for the sofas and one has to squash them onto the settees. The sofas only arrived at my home mid December 2013. Hope we can resolve this a.s.a.p