Volvo V70 D5 2.5 TD SE Reviews

• Reliability

Volvo V70 D5 2.5 TD SE - Ask a question now

“Top quality cruiser”

Written on: 02/10/2012

My V70 D5 is a 2005 special order version with double glazing, satnav, telephone pack, full leather and wood etc etc. I use it for combined motorway and urban driving on a daily basis and it returns around 40mpg overall - unless I put my foot down and then it flies but at around 34mpg. Its easily the most comfortable car I've owned with electrically operated and heated deep leather seats. The wheel mounted controls for everything are very intuitive although the satnav controls need some… Read Full Review

“My 9th Volvo”

Written on: 11/09/2011 by whisky1947 (1 review written)

I first bought a Volvo a 144 in 1974. I am on my ninth. I currently have two at the moment an S70 petrol and a V70 D5 auto diesel. The S70 I use everyday as a runabout returning over 30 mpg; it has now done over 130,000 miles and it still drives like new. It still on the original exhaust even at 12 years old. Apart from a track rod end and a wheel bearing it has not required any repair other than routine servicing The V70 we use for longer runs and continental cruising, went to Switzerland… Read Full Review

“An excellent long distance cruiser, cruise control and...”

Written on: 05/03/2008 by ivan hackman (1 review written)

An excellent long distance cruiser, cruise control and comfort combine to make long journeys a good experience- the D5 makes you forget that it is a diesel it is so quiet and refined, and the ability to travel over 600 miles before considering refuelling is a new experience for holiday touring! After owning three 240 models, one 740 and one 850, I am well acquainted with Volvo cars, this is my first diesel engined model. Strangely enough I find it better than any previously owned car when it… Read Full Review

“My Mercedes E320 V6 Avantgarde estate had some pretty...”

Written on: 04/06/2006 by jazzRS360 (15 reviews written)

My Mercedes E320 V6 Avantgarde estate had some pretty dismal engine problems and went for a repair, and so I was kindly given a dark blue 2006 Volvo V70 D5 Diesel for the meantime. Another executive estate was useful as I could draw some comparisons.
Design wise the V70 is a handsome beast, and on this top Executive model, it came with decent alloys and a classy-looking interior. There is nothing radical to the Volvo's cabin, but everything is laid out pleasantly, with the centre console… Read Full Review

Peter Bulman's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 12/12/2006

I have a brand new one of these i.e. D5 SE LUX Geartronic (The engine is actually 2.4 I believe). I have to strongly disagree and state that it is the noisiest and harshest riding car I have ever had. (immediately prior to this I drove an 850 tdi estate for a 114,000 miles and it is still quieter and more comfortable than this reincarnation, the cacophony is debilitating.
<br/>Most of the other comments I agree with i.e. the quality, finish and performance are good. Sadly, it is a vehicle that one is very pleased to exit.
<br/>Thus It appears that Volvo have &#039;lost the plot&#039; and hopefully Volvo will retrieve this one soon before we end up in litigation.

Courtney Roy's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 14/09/2009

I found this review very helpful because...
<br/>
<br/>I am seriously considering moving from Petrol to Diesel. I drove a Mondeo diesel for a week and the fuel economy was amazing. It had a 6 speed gearbox so even at high speed you the engine was only doing 3,000 revs. Now I've always driven Volvo's so I'm considering a D5 as Volvos have never let me down, I like the equipment spec and they are not too expensive to run and hearing the comparisons with the Mercs and BMWs was interesting. If the Volvo didn't come close they would not have been mentioned at all so thanks very much for the review......I'll be bearing it in mind when I do go to change my car.

Miller100D's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 14/01/2007

I must say that I'd agree with the author as opposed to the first comment in this article. I have previously driven 2 x Volvo company cars; a V70 (around 2000 build) and an S80. I also joined the club and was made redundant, resulting in the purchase of an old 850 T5 (N Reg), which I thoroughly enjoyed. Having got my feet back on the ladder I bought a secondhand BMW 530D Sport on an 03 plate, and specced with every extra, including TV, Trafficmaster, electric everything etc. I bought it 2 years ago (February 2005) with 46,000 miles on the clock, to make it an affordable choice, ie. approximately £22k. I seriously think that the 530D Sport (old shape) is the best diesel car I've driven, and I would love to have a chance to try the new shape equivalent, but the cost doesn't add up at the moment.
<br/>
<br/>I have just traded (read - given away) the BMW, as it had 86,000 miles on the clock, and it seemed sensible (with a young family) to look at other options. After looking around I came back to Volvo, and I have purchased a March 2006 V70 D5 2.4 SE (Euro IV).
<br/>
<br/>You cannot argue that the Volvo Estate is "the estate". Comfortable, well specced, and since the softer curves, even elegant. My first impressions were the lack of audible 'grunt' from the engine as opposed to the 3.0 Litre Turbo charged lump in the BMW. It surprised me though, as it seemed to get the car up there, without the audible stage prompts that you get from a larger engine. It doesn't roar; it just seems to accelerate and get up to speed quickly. Hard to define, but still enjoyable.
<br/>
<br/>The interior feels more open and better appointed than the 530D, but that may be due to the light colours as opposed to the black and dark interior of the BMW. I've yet to do a long run, but I am off to Cheltenham tomorrow (from Surrey), and I am relishing it!
<br/>
<br/>Finally, I have to say that the turning circle is about the same as my old T5, ie. you have to plan ahead a little more, and there does seem to be less legroom in the back than in the BMW, but the whole package far outweighs this.
<br/>
<br/>Fuel consumption in the BMW was on average 32.0 mpg (heavy on the throttle). I'm looking forward to seeing what the V70 will do on the same journeys.

“Volvo V70 D5 2.5 TD SE ”

Written on: 24/08/2005 by award (6 reviews written)

Volvo V70 D5 2.5 TD SE

This is my second Volvo after having the 850 TD Estate (now my wife's). I will never buy another make of car! These machines provide a unique mix of understated style, luxury, versatility and practicality. The load space needs no further discussion, except the speed of conversion (putting the seats down etc...). If only someone very clever in Sweden could come up with an idea of where to stow the load space cover!
The D5 versions sacrifice nothing to performance… Read Full Review

Peter Bulman's Response to award's Review

Written on: 12/12/2006

Sadly I must strongly disagree with this review with regards the following points
<br/>I have a brand new D5 (185bhp) SE LUX geartronic version of the V70 and the environment in the cabin is appallingly, unacceptably noisy, the cacophony consisting of engine/exhaust, road and wind noise is debilitating, it reverberates and booms in the cabin and can be felt like pressure on the eardrums, add to this the harsh ride and the word purgatory comes to mind. - This reincarnation has to go back.
<br/>My car previous to this was also an 850tdi estate and what a great car this was/is and has been since I first purchased 9yrs and 114,000 mls ago. It is STILL quieter and more comfortable than this brand new version.
<br/>I feel it is very sad as the performance (for a 2.4 diesel) is good as is the handling, finish and fixtures and fittings.

Peter Bulman's Response to award's Review

Written on: 15/12/2006

With respect, I did not comment on the fuel consumption.
<br/>THE OVERWHELMING PROBLEM with this V70 D5 (185) SE Lux geartronic, is the cabin environment as explained. This is so bad it wants shouting from the rooftops to warn others, - this is the main purpose of these reviews I believe?
<br/>It has only been driven 2,000 mls due to this appalling environment in the cabin. The retail price quoted for this vehicle is £32-33,000!! not £3-4,000.

Award's Response to award's Review

Written on: 13/12/2006

Geartronic... different car. I was referring to the manual which in my opinion always beats an automatic in terms of performance, economy and reduced pollution.