Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Summary

The Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX is a small family car designed to be the successor to the Xsara.
Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX

Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX

“Dont buy one of these cars infact the whole psa 1.6...”

Written on: 26/07/2011 by angeldodd (1 review written)

we just brought this car 6 weeks ago it has been in the garage for the last 4 weeks we never drove it aggressively or did anything to cause turbo failure ...we then brought a second hand engine and unit without the turbo seized etc serviced it very well spent hundreds it instantly blew oil back round the system turbo failure we then fitted another good turbo cleaned everything again to get the same problem again this car as now cost me over 4 thousand pound it was cheap at 2500 but trust me… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to angeldodd's Review

Written on: 09/05/2012

i have a 2008 c41.6 hdi 42000 miles and the same has hapend to mine they said it would cost 2,800 to repair it or they said they would give me 2,000 for the car against a another new c4. what can you do its worth nothing if u repair it and its worth nothing if u sell i t

Andoo's Response to angeldodd's Review

Written on: 09/10/2013

I can only suggest someone isn't doing their job properly! I mean, the (correct) oil MUST be changed at or preferably before the service interval.

Another sure fire way of self destruct on these cars is over filling the oil. In the old days, the dipstick tube ended at the bottom of the block so the stick was free to dip the level without any real problem. Now, the dipstick tube goes well into the sump. The result is no blowback, but to dip the oil you must pull the stick, wipe it, dip it and pull it again. If the level is even a few mm over the mark the engines fate is sealed.

Another thing with hdi & tdi, dti, etc in fact ANY turbo charged engine is the need to allow the turbo to spool down after a hard run. If you live at the top of a hill, let the engine idle for, at the very least, 30 seconds, but rather a full minute. The reason is the turbo runs hot, very hot. So if you rev it then switch off, the turbo will be spinning at high rpm (they can reach 80,000rpm at full boost!!) and it needs oil to lubricate and cool it. Once the engine is off, the oil is no longer flowing so the turbo is spinning on a tiny bit of oil that is getting hotter & hotter. This has the effect of creating carbon build up. Once this starts, the "bearing" of oil gets smaller until the turbo cannot be lubricated with any real efficiency. I am trying to explain it in simple terms. It is a lot more complicated, but suffice to say, the turbo tends to go bang!

So, to sum up. Extended oil services are bad. They kill engines. I see it all the time. Oil galleries have got smaller as engines get more compact. The result is more heat is generated and the likely hood that as oil changes are skipped, the carbon build up is like narrowing of arteries. Eventually something gives.

I had a Picasso 2.0 HDi with 200,000 + miles on it. It started well, drove well and never used oil. The reason being I changed the oil every 8000 miles & always allowed the turbo to spool down.

I had a 2002 Renault Laguna 1.9 DCi, 178,000 miles on original turbo. Again, regular oil changes and allow the turbo to spool down.

Do you see a pattern?

I hope this is of some use to someone.

A

“The Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX is very conftable,...”

Written on: 06/07/2009

The Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6 HDi SX is very conftable, reliable, pretty and economic. Loads of technological features… Read Full Review

“I've had this car a short while (the Citroen C4...”

Written on: 01/01/2009

I've had this car a short while (the Citroen C4 HDi/110:SX:EGS) with 70,000m on the clock (seems genuine). I'm surprized at its internal silence, esp. for a diesel. The EGS gearbox is a little slow between 1st. and 2nd. but still better than all that stick stirring with manuals. The seat vs. steering wheel settings are excellent. Even after the mileage, squeaks rattles and groans are almost absent. The ride is a little jiggly, but I put this down to the rubbish cheap tyres it came with, not… Read Full Review

“The Citroen C4 1.6Hdi is good to drive. 1.6 diesel...”

Written on: 14/01/2008 by mplus (1 review written)

The Citroen C4 1.6Hdi is good to drive. 1.6 diesel (110 hp) very capable and reliable. Happy with choice vs. major Japanese and European makers… Read Full Review

“So far I love it, my mate bought a Citroen C4 1.6Hdi...”

Written on: 10/04/2007 by charlie1945 (1 review written)

So far I love it, my mate bought a Citroen C4 1.6Hdi SX couple years ago and had lot niggly points so far, 1000 miles. I love it, bit bouncy over bumps, maybe the roads in Scotland, best car I've wanted for a long time, has real spare wheel and does more than 500 miles for forty quid about town, my wife loved the Kia Picanto, great wee car for a lady, I recommend the automatic for about town, my wife loved the easy parking but now we are retired, only have one car, Citroen C4 1.6Hdi SX looks… Read Full Review

“I have the Citroen C4 automatic petrol version. The...”

Written on: 28/09/2005 by HMD (2 reviews written)

I have the Citroen C4 automatic petrol version. The gearbox can be operated in fully auto mode which it does tolerably well if a little harsh on the gearchanges at times, or in a manual-shift mode as a clutchless change. The manual mode is useful for shifting up early when driving gently to save fuel. However, the manual mode is maddening as the car takes over when you are not expecting it. For example, if you've shifted down into second in slow traffic, then start to accelerate away you… Read Full Review

Rpetch's Response to HMD's Review

Written on: 04/03/2014

i also have the C4 sx Auto but i only get an average of 30 mpg doing half motorway and half town work. i have noticed that when it is in auto mode it will not change up untill it reaches at least 43 mph so i have to keep using the manual shift other than the mpg its a great car to drive but

“I have owned my C4 for 2 weeks. I bought it nearly new...”

Written on: 11/08/2005 by UncleZen (7 reviews written)

I have owned my C4 for 2 weeks. I bought it nearly new when it was 2 months old. Dont know its history.
I did have a Focus 1.8 Petrol. The best I could achieve in the Focus was 40mpg. Mostly 38mpg, and 35mpg in winter.
The C4 returns 55mpg on the same commute, at about the same speed. So I am well happy with that.
I like the big digital read-out, and the computer gizmo's. I wonder how long these will last?
It has cruise control, a speed limiter, and nice comfy seats and suspension, that… Read Full Review

Imakesense's Response to UncleZen's Review

Written on: 14/08/2005

Good comment about the foot on the clutch... I love the looks of the C4 and test drove the 4 door 1.4.. I want the 3door 1.6 but I couldn't test drive it. I heard the only -ve aspect is a small point, the gears are not as 'sure footed' in their feedback, like a focus goes 'clunk' when you click it into place.
<br>
<br>When I drove it, I didn't mind this, even though I like the ford focus gear change. I read many positive reviews of this car from top gear... honest-johns etc, one mentioned front driver space... I puched my seat right back for the test drive, but I picked up a friend on the way to get their opinion, I had to move the seat forward... not uncomfortable.... and usually I won't have people in the back...
<br>
<br>I like you review because I am used to a metal plate on cars to rest my foot on, except mercedes which stick the 'hand brake' there on some models I drove... crazy! (ok it is above the plate).
<br>
<br>Back on topic, I will have to drive it more to see if this driving position gets uncomfortable, althought the seats feel great, and the cabin airy and relaxing, quiet too.

Unclezen's Response to UncleZen's Review

Written on: 05/12/2005

Since owning the car for 4 months and covering about 6,000 miles. The economy is still good (never dropped below 50mpg). The wheel alignment went wrong (no I didn't kerb it) and the car started to drift to the left. It took Citroen 3 attempts (under warranty) to fix it, so it's no surprise to see that my local Citroen dealer (Basingstoke) are just as bad as they used to be when I last owned a Citroen.
<br>
<br>The model I have is an SX, and the previous owner had rear parking sensors added. These work only when the bumper is dry; when it's wet they go ballistic, continuously beeping when in reverse. The beep is really loud, so I unstuck the speaker and poked it through into the boot - much better sound level now!
<br>
<br>One other thing. Compared to a Focus, this car is less sure footed on the road. In a Focus you can go round a corner at scary speeds, and you knew exactly what it would do when it hit a bump. The C4 just doesn't inspire the same confidence. But with better MPG my pocket prefers the car.

218816_Irelandtig's Response to UncleZen's Review

Written on: 28/11/2005

I bought a c4 1.6 (110) diesel from new and love it. You get so much more for your money than a lot of other manufacturers. The styling is also A1. I chose the coupe and have nothing negative to say about it