Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI Sport Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Summary

The Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI Sport is a 7 seater compact MPV which is based on a stretched version of the Volkswagen Golf Mk5. It has front wheel drive and electro-mechanical steering.
Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI Sport - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI Sport

Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI Sport

“if only i had known about the car not having a spare...”

Written on: 03/05/2011

if only i had known about the car not having a spare wheel i might have reconsidered buying a different car… Read Full Review

“My only negative comment on this car: The car emits...”

Written on: 22/01/2011

My only negative comment on this car: The car emits heavy exhaust on cold days. It happens as soon as I turn the heater on. Is this a common problem?

“Warning - do not consider buying a 2.0 litre TDI...”

Written on: 19/07/2010

Warning - do not consider buying a 2.0 litre TDI Touran, there is a serious and expensive design fault. I am lead to believe that VW are aware that the alloy used on the cylinder heads is sub-standard, this leads to pourous heads and coulant leaking which is very expensive to fix! I have had my Touran for 10 months and really enjoyed it at first, until the cylinder head failed, now it is constantly in the garage. We now have an issue with the injectors! Again VW have come across this… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 15/07/2011

good would have thought VW would have been good buy thanks for informasion

“iv had the car for 1yr now bought it with 10.000 mls...”

Written on: 11/07/2010

iv had the car for 1yr now bought it with 10.000 mls on the clock its now done 14.000 the only fault so far is a new gear selector the car is ideal for my large family one of the best cars iv ever had apart from my vauxhall zafira 2.0 tdi it beats the zafira hands down the back seats are a lot easier to put up and the car is first class comfort for all using 2 5 or 7 seats the rear 2 are great for the children and at a push 2 small adults i would recommend this car to anyone who is thinking of… Read Full Review

“Never had any problems, has a golf engine, glides...”

Written on: 25/04/2010

Never had any problems, has a golf engine, glides along the motorway, comfortable on long journeys, great for big families, always reliable. Best car we've ever had. Husband loves his Landrover, but does enjoy driving the Touran, says its quite nippy… Read Full Review

“Best car i've ever owned, never goes wrong does stupid...”

Written on: 04/05/2009 by lowbug (1 review written)

Best car i've ever owned, never goes wrong does stupid high mpg and goes like a rocket all with 7 seats. We looked at the zafia etc but the Volkswagen, Touran 2.0 TDI Sport is the only one in class which has a larger back seat which can take 2 baby car seats and a booster, it can even take 3 child seats if required.

“Having owned a Skoda Superb 1.9tdi Comfort for nearly...”

Written on: 02/05/2008 by lewist (37 reviews written)

Having owned a Skoda Superb 1.9tdi Comfort for nearly three years, I was looking for the same car but with a more practical design. I had thought also of downsizing but my daughter went looking with me and assertively steered me away from the smaller cars like the Polo, saying, 'Dad, if you are driving the A9 regularly you need something with a bit of presence.' And we looked at the Touran.

'Ah', says our friendly salesman, 'we have one that's just a year old with only 8k on the clock'.

So we… Read Full Review

Lewist's Response to lewist's Review

Written on: 04/10/2008

I have now had the car for six months and have done ten thousand miles in it. I don't regret buying it and the positive initial impressions continue to be borne out. It asked to be serviced at 16k miles which was not too bad. It may have done a lot of city driving in that first eight thousand before I bought it which would presumably reduce the service interval a bit so we'll see when it asks again. It has done a lot of trips to the coup during my daughter's house renovation and has continued to be very economical, which - with diesel peaking at 135.9p a litre - is really important.<br/>If you are thinking about buying a Touran, you could do a great deal worse.

Lewist's Response to lewist's Review

Written on: 04/11/2010

It's now approaching three years since I bought the Touran and it's heading for 50k miles. It had the abs unit replaced under warranty (this seems to be common in golf based cars of the period) but apart from that it has been reliable. I put winter tyres on it last autumn and it was great in the snow we had, up to 2 feet on more than one occasion and temps down to -23&#9702;C a lot of the time. I kept it in the garage at night to stop the diesel gelling but it started easily and with the winter tyres it was great in the snow. It has been serviced twice, at 16k and 34k miles.
<br/>
<br/>VW have brought out a new version of the Touran and I had a test drive today. I think I might buy one.

“Perhaps is the car a litle bit boring from the...”

Written on: 24/04/2008 by niko67 (1 review written)

Perhaps is the car a litle bit boring from the outside, but it is so reliabile and grace in the handling and economics… Read Full Review

“Generally satisfied and I would probably buy the same...”

Written on: 26/12/2006 by John M Broughton (1 review written)

Generally satisfied and I would probably buy the same again with DSG box… Read Full Review

“I am very impressed with the VW Touran. I didn't...”

Written on: 22/04/2006 by lcjohnny (22 reviews written)

I am very impressed with the VW Touran. I didn't expect to be - I expected a more reliable Zafira but it is so much better. Two major differences
1. Can drive along interesting roads quickly enough to remain alert and interested without making the passengers sick!
2. It drives through traffic & twisty roads like a car not a bus.

All the family find it comfortable even in the third row of seats although I wouldn't put an adult in them for more than 2 hours!! On the motorway it cruises as… Read Full Review

“I've owned the Volkswagen Touran 2.0 tdi sport manual...”

Written on: 10/11/2005 by johnead (7 reviews written)

I've owned the Volkswagen Touran 2.0 tdi sport manual 7 seater for six months, and in every respect, bar one (see below), it has met my high expectations. Think of the Touran as a cleverly disguised bus that drives like a car.

This review is an update to a previous "first impressions" review I gave it after 3 weeks.

It is, without going into the details, economical, well built, spacious, and has car-like performance. It is also comfortable over longer drives, and is the only car I've ever… Read Full Review

Graham P's Response to johnead's Review

Written on: 25/12/2005

As you say, you bought the 7 seater, so you knew it had no spare wheel. I'm sure my repair kit cost me £25 quid at the main dealer. It is just a temporary repair so I've also bought a £7 aerosol repair kit from Halfords which I'll try next time. To be honest I wouldn't drive my family on the motorway in any car with a repaired tyre. Several cars have this sort of repair option (my wifes Mini doesn't even have that) so they can gain the space in the vehicle so its a very small inconvenience compared with the flexibility of the 7 seat option.

Vincequinn's Response to johnead's Review

Written on: 10/04/2008

I agree with what has already been said about the Touran, but I am surprised there was no mention of the fact that each time you get out of the car, the back of your thigh presses down on the front seat height adjusting handle thus lowering the seat so that each day the front seat has to be cranked up again. I find this most annoying and the silliest thing in a modern car.

Johnead's Response to johnead's Review

Written on: 31/03/2006

One other follow-up comment I should have added. The vehicle has been reliable right down to the smallest screw so far, but it did require two days in a garage after a recall was issued for a gearbox issue that had safety implications. Inconvenient, of course, but I'd rather manufacturers fixed issues than kept quiet about them as they sometimes used to.

Johnead's Response to johnead's Review

Written on: 31/03/2006

I didn't mean to be unfair on the Touran regarding the spare tyre issue. It was just an observation. VW doesn't draw people's attention to it in the way they should.
<br>
<br>Having now spent a year with my Touran, I'd point out one other issue I underplayed in the original review - rear visibility. The thick pillars (put in many vehicles for safety reasons) create a peripheral blind spot you have to learn to cope with. Most of the time, this isn't a big problem. But in winter, or on a rainy day, when the mirrors are covered in rain or iced up, it creates a hazard. Now I know what the winter pack option (heated mirrors) is for, and I would recommend buyers to get it.
<br>
<br>One other minor moan - £20K for a Touran should buy all-round fog lights, but you only get a rear one.

Jaym's Response to johnead's Review

Written on: 30/03/2006

I agree with your comments about the Touran. It's a good car, but is let down by the lack of a spare wheel. The salesman casually mentioned this after the deal was sealed, and pointed to the compressor supplied and bottle of tyre sealant. At the time I was not too worried as I had not had a puncture for 4 years, yet since I have had the Touran (5 months) I have had 3 punctures, two of which severely inconvenienced me in cost and time!

“I traded in our 2003 golf tdi130 for the touran, and...”

Written on: 10/08/2005 by graham p (2 reviews written)

I traded in our 2003 golf tdi130 for the touran, and was initially very pleased at the practicality, space and comfort of the touran. The fit and finish is what you would expect from volkswagen.
The touran doesn't seem to suffer from the wallowing in corners that the mkIV diesel golfs do, thanks to the new underpinnings, which are now shared by the new golf. Mine does have the sports suspension though.
My only disappointment, would be the new 2 litre diesel engine, which seems to be rougher… Read Full Review

Graham P's Response to graham p's Review

Written on: 14/03/2006

Further to my initial review. Look out for diesel tourans surrounded by a white smoke cloud in the cold weather. The pre-heater discharges under the engine and can cause a lot of smoke, and a lot of fumes in the cabin. Volkswagen know about this fault and can provide a cure which re-routes the pre-heater exhaust rearwards. The trouble is the new exhaust now discharges half way down the vehicle and can create a real stink in the cabin, and in my case it certainly hasnt improved the smoke cloud which appears when you stop. Worth asking whether the rework has been done under warranty.