Pets at Home Adult Complete Reviews

Pets at Home Adult Complete - Ask a question now

“My Westie is a very fussy eater, and refuses to eat...”

Written on: 29/05/2007 by star92 (1 review written)

My Westie is a very fussy eater, and refuses to eat most dry foods. So after trying all the well known brands : Pedigree, Winalot, Iams etc., I gave Pets At Home a go. The food comes in a 3kg pack, which lasted my Westie & Golden Retriever a week and a half. 7kg and 15kg bags are also available.

The food smells very meaty, and it has a high fresh meat content, and both dogs loved it! 6 months later they are both enjoying every mouthful, and they look forward to the next meal time. Their coats… Read Full Review

“Pets at Home Adult Complete Dog Food has one of the...”

Written on: 10/08/2006 by JaniePortugal (16 reviews written)

Pets at Home Adult Complete Dog Food has one of the highest quantities of meat in a dry food of which I have found. It has 24% where as the majority of dry dog food only contain 4%. It feels my dog up and leaves him satisfied and happy. Found this is one of the only dry dog foods that my Smooth Collie actually looks forward to eating… Read Full Review

“My dog likes Pets at Home Adult Complete with a bit of...”

Written on: 25/07/2005 by Tc7 (1 review written)

My dog likes Pets at Home Adult Complete with a bit of water added.
However, it may be made from high grade chicken but the protein level contained is normally given to working dogs and NOT domestic pets.
I can't understand why there is such a large percentage of protein in this food! I am going to switch my six year old dog to Pets at Home senior Complete which is a more sensible 20%!… Read Full Review

Janieportugal's Response to Tc7's Review

Written on: 10/08/2006

why is the high protein dangerous? you have me worried now....

Kavidia's Response to Tc7's Review

Written on: 08/11/2008

Hi Dogmad,well there's lots of new information that dispels the myths about high protein either making dogs hyper or damaging kidneys but here's a few links -
<br/>http://www.thepetcentre.com/imtop/protein.html
<br/>http:www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=protein-myth
<br/>http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/feeding-the-performance-dog/ This one you will find interesting as you have working gundogs.
<br/>http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/proteins-kidneys-senior-dogs/
<br/>If a dog becomes less active on low protein then what you're actually doing is starving them of an important nutrient.
<br/>I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one though.

Dogmad's Response to Tc7's Review

Written on: 05/11/2008

Perhaps you could point me towards your research.
<br/>
<br/>The canine circles I move in all recognise that high protein levels are a contributing factor in hyperactivity, and thus one of the reasons why many young springers are re homed.
<br/>
<br/>If you are talking about high protein levels in BARF, RAW or any of the other so called natural diets, then that is entirely different, the protein in those products is derived from high quality meat.
<br/>
<br/>In this instance we are talking about a complete food, a complete diet, the protein in complete diets is derived from a smaller percentage of meat protein and made up with proteins from other sources.
<br/>
<br/>I would be very interested to read the research that you base your comments on that suggests high protein diets are needed for dogs.

Kavidia's Response to Tc7's Review

Written on: 03/11/2008

I'm sorry but protein is very important for dogs - higher protein levels will not make them hyperactive. I can't see why you would advise people not to feed their dogs a food containing over 20% protein, very strange advice in my opinion and one that's not supported by scientific research. My dogs are fed on a diet containing 42% protein and look fantastic. Dogs are carnivores and its impossible to give them too much protein in their diet.

Dogmad's Response to Tc7's Review

Written on: 21/09/2007

Protein is also know to cause itchy and flaky skin.
<br/>
<br/>Personally I aim for even less protein, 18% for my three working springers and they cope with a full days work no problem.

Tc7's Response to Tc7's Review

Written on: 10/08/2006

A good figure for protein for a domestic dog is 20%. More protein equals more energy and can lead to hyper activity. Basically the dogs have &#039;work off&#039; excess protein. Working dogs need lots of protein, domestic dogs do not. Like humans really. Footballers need high protein, a lorry driver doesn't.
I spoke to a director of the company about my concerns and he advised that I buy the Senior brand which contains less protein. That is what my dog is currently on and very healthy for it.
I would advise not giving a domestic dog a food containing over 20% protein.
The brand in question is good though. It contains protein from animal meat and not other sources; therefore it will always be better. Tc