M.I.A, Arular Reviews

M.I.A, Arular - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for M.I.A, Arular

M.I.A, Arular

“I'm a big fan of M.I.A.'s recent album Kala but only...”

Written on: 31/08/2010 by Frosteee (69 reviews written)

I'm a big fan of M.I.A.'s recent album Kala but only in the last few weeks have I finally bought her first album Arular. I guess I didn't expect it to be as good as Kala as with many debut albums. I sometimes find it hard to go backwards in an artists career when compared to starting with the early stuff and hearing them develop.

Thankfully I was wrong! Arular is a cracking album that I think I prefer to Kala - although I'll wait a few months before I make my mind up.

It's a more raw… Read Full Review

M.I.A, Arular

“M.I.A, Arular is a remarkable album on several counts....”

Written on: 21/07/2005 by SayHelloToTheAngels (37 reviews written)

M.I.A, Arular is a remarkable album on several counts. The genius behind the CD is the refugee daughter of a Sri Lankan Tamil Tiger freedom fighter who came to London at the age of 10 knowing only 5 words of English. Now 28, she's producing infectious, percussion-driven hip hop with a political bent.

The songs are sparse, built around heavy drum and percussion with the odd bleep or bit of synthesised sound, lending focus to the semi-rapped, semi-spoken vocals which are all about her life… Read Full Review