Family Relatives www.familyrelatives.org Reviews

Family Relatives www.familyrelatives.org - Ask a question now

“not worth paying for - broken incomplete website”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by tonydh (1 review written)

stay away. i paid £20 and found that much of the website does not work. i found some records but the family tree tab doesn't work. the data quality is patchy. the search facility is poor. i have now asked for my money back. so far no response. the website states that it is beta version but what exactly does this mean - they don't say. they really should not be charging anyone anything for the use of this site until they have developed it a lot more. i should have read the reviews on this site… Read Full Review

“Avoid”

Written on: 05/06/2013

Paid a year's subscription,searched for my own birth reord...nothing...trid several times to be sure,still nothing. Sent email asking for advice/help but no reply. … Read Full Review

Historygeek's Comment

Written on: 20/09/2013

Depending on the dataset you are searching, this is what the site says

"For the period 1837 to 1865 & 1921 to 1983 the images are partially transcribed on surname and forename range. i.e. the first surname and first forename and the last surname and last forename on the images. Please note that this period is not fully transcribed and therefore not all features are available. For example Districts, Mother's Maiden Name, Spouse's Maiden Name, Date of Birth and Age at Death are not available. However this does allow you to search for family relatives and the database will locate all those images where the surname may appear. It will usually display one page per quarter per year.

You will then have to view the image to see whether your family relative appears on those particular pages."

Written on: 29/10/2013

Historygeek is right, for the period 1837 to 1865 & 1921 to 1983 the images are partially transcribed on surname and forename range.

When you perform a search the results take you to the page where the result may appear and you must view the image and find the name you are searching.

We always recommend you read the helpful information on each search page or view the website tour and user guides.

“think this site a scam”

Written on: 27/12/2012 by sammist (1 review written)

just paid £20 and can not access any imagaes in site tried to send query and it just wont send , contacted my bank ref sopping payment they inform me wait 15 days and if can not still access site they will return my payment >DONT TOUCH THIS SITE… Read Full Review

Daphnewenn's Response to sammist's Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

I totally agree. I sent my £20 on 6th January in reply to an email from them inviting me to sign up. It was debited to my account on 7th. I have sent an email to Family Relatives every day since, demanding to know why I can't log onto the site, with no response. I shall have to do as you did, and see if I can get my money refunded. There are plenty of other sites out there, even though they are more expensive, they are at least genuine.

Written on: 13/01/2013

Further to my previous comment. I DID receive a reply from them on Saturday 12th apologising and telling me I could access the site, which I still can't. I was invited to reply to them via the reply section of their letter, which will not send. I have sent another email to them telling them I want a refund. Watch this space!!!

Written on: 14/02/2013

They replied and promised they would contact their accounts department to arrange a refund. I'm still waiting on 14th February!!!!! And I STILL can't access the site.

Written on: 15/02/2013

My £20 was refunded on 14th February!!!!!!

Historygeek's Response to sammist's Review

Written on: 20/09/2013

Download the image viewer that may help

Familyrelatives's reply to Historygeek's Comment

Written on: 29/10/2013

It is no longer necessary to download an image viewer. Images now appear automatically and make sure the internet browser is up-to-date.

“Received an email special offer for £20 and thought I...”

Written on: 28/01/2012

Received an email special offer for £20 and thought I would try it although compared to the cost of other ancestry websites it did seem too good to be true. Made the mistake of not testing the plug in first as downloads have never been a problem with other ancestry websites of which I have been a member for 12 yrs. Downloaded the plug in but couldn't download any images even after following all the advice on the help section and advice on DjVu website. Sent three emails to familyrelatives but… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 11/07/2012

Wish I'd read this before subscribing! I too have followed all the advice on the help section of this site and cannot download a single image. My email asking for help has been returned as "undeliverable mail returned to sender".

Written on: 29/10/2013

It is no longer necessary to download an image viewer. Images now appear automatically and make sure your internet browser is up-to-date.

“I have used this site now for a few years and it is a...”

Written on: 07/12/2010 by historygeek (1 review written)

I have used this site now for a few years and it is a very good website, its very clear and well thought out, it has a good information & help section. Not only does it have the BMDs which are transcribed but military and parish records also a free family tree which I use.
When you consider the cost of other websites the price of units or the annual subscription on Familyrelatives it is good value. By the way you can check your Unit balance in My Account as well.

“I agree you do not know how many units you are using. ...”

Written on: 07/02/2010

I agree you do not know how many units you are using. They seem to go very quickly. disappointing site. Put in information in I know to be correct but it came up with no results. I e-mailed them to this effect but have not had the courtesy of a reply. will not use this site again. didn't like much about the site. have used much better ones.would have liked some kind of free trial to ascertain what I aould be able to research… Read Full Review

Written on: 29/10/2013

To find out the balance of your Units, login go to My Account and select Membership details.

Generally it is 1 Unit to view an image and 2 Units to view a transcribed record or page. Check the website for the Pay per view cost of records.

“I have found the Family Relatives indexing better than...”

Written on: 27/06/2009 by BJackson (1 review written)

I have found the Family Relatives indexing better than most and the search results was better than Ancestry - the period 1921-1982 BMD is the same as other website i.e. on 1st and last name on the page. The amount of data is excellent for the cost of only £30.00 and has quite a lot of free data for the US. Coverage for England and Wales data and Irish data was very good. Customer service - I only had to get in touch once and got a response in less than 24hours. Found the Information section… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“You don't get told how many credits you are spending...”

Written on: 09/05/2009

You don't get told how many credits you are spending when viewing pages and browsing records. Suddenly you realise you have used up all your credits, and you haven't found anything useful. For me £6 went in about 5 minutes searching on www.familyrelatives.org… Read Full Review

Written on: 29/10/2013

For search and indexing - for the BMD period 1837 to 1865 & 1921 to 1983 the images are partially transcribed on surname and forename range.

There are four types of Databases on Familyrelatives.com where records have been either fully transcribed, partially transcribed on a "surname range" basis, browseable records with images and OCRed records.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I WOULD ADVISE TO STAY WELL AWAY FROM THIS SITE. ...”

Written on: 16/04/2009 by JO12345 (1 review written)

I WOULD ADVISE TO STAY WELL AWAY FROM THIS SITE. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO PEOPLE TO CONTACT NO PHONES NUMBERS TO CALL AND NO ADDRESSES TO WRITE TO IF YOU HAVE A ISSUE… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I subscribed to Family Relatives and have not been...”

Written on: 27/02/2009

I subscribed to Family Relatives and have not been able to access site due to an operation error. Tried 3 times to contact them but still no reply. I've wasted 1 month of subscription so far… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“This online genealogy website offers some good...”

Written on: 19/07/2008 by Mrsangry (1 review written)

This online genealogy website offers some good information. Unfortunately when I wish to access a record it keeps asking me to log in although I am already logged in.
I have reported this to the site but they do not reply to emails.
I have amended my privacy settings for this site and done all that is suggested by them on their help page.
I would not recommend anyone to take out a subscription for a site that for me has simply not delivered… Read Full Review

“The most frustrating genealogy website I have so far...”

Written on: 19/07/2008

The most frustrating genealogy website I have so far personally used. If you do manage to get hold of some information you are constantly "logging in", and eventually the site "dies" Frequently you think you are getting somewhere only to find the information won't open even though you are logged in and "cookie enabled".

I have asked for my subscription back- waste of time because nobody has yet answered my email it seems.
Useful information is there if you are lucky enough to be able to access… Read Full Review

“Wrong page keeps coming up. My work is doing...”

Written on: 11/04/2008

Wrong page keeps coming up. My work is doing genealogy. Very disappointing. Tells me too change my password. I have done this twice already. Not necessary as far as I am concerned.
I am very disappointed with amilyrelatives.org right now. I enjoyed it when it was working the way I expected it to. Until they correct my problems I do not recommend Family Relatives.org… Read Full Review

“I ordered £5 worth of searches. When I entered my...”

Written on: 09/02/2008

I ordered £5 worth of searches. When I entered my credit card number and went to the next page, it had defaulted to £37.50 years subscription. There was a button that said 'confirm order' so I DIDN'T press it as I didn't want to spend that much. It still charged me though. I've sent three emails to familyrelatives and they have never replied. There is no postal address to write to. I'm am really sickened by this as they don't even have the courtesy to contact me (yet anyway) - despite having… Read Full Review

Written on: 29/10/2013

Should you need to write to us the Familyrelatives.com is available on our Terms and Conditions.

“Very good website - no browsing for Births, Deaths or...”

Written on: 11/11/2007 by billyone (2 reviews written)

Very good website - no browsing for Births, Deaths or Marriages for many more years than other websites. I.e. you don't have to look through each quarter - in that respect its great as is the price it is half that of other websites. It would be nice to see more data but in the last 2 months they have added over 200 million so I guess they are working on it… Read Full Review

“The website constantly comes up "error, please report"...”

Written on: 29/11/2006 by aeh001 (1 review written)

The website constantly comes up "error, please report" when searching files. Not once have I been able to access information on the Family Relatives online genealogy site, even when entering data I know is accurate… Read Full Review

“This online genealogy website offers some good...”

Written on: 22/11/2006 by bedefox (1 review written)

This online genealogy website offers some good information. Unfortunately, it drops the link before I can make an enquiry. The Family Relatives website need to correct this problem!… Read Full Review

“FamilyRelatives - I came across this little know site...”

Written on: 23/06/2005 by rebeccakl (2 reviews written)

FamilyRelatives - I came across this little know site but what a difference. I have been able to find four of my ancestors already at a fraction of the cost of other websites. It has 150 million fully searchable names - I searched on surname forename and district and found three of the entries almost immediately. I was also unsure of the exact district for one ancestor and searched on area, e.g., Hampshire, which was really useful.

The main difference with this website is that it has… Read Full Review

Rebeccakl's Response to rebeccakl's Review

Written on: 21/11/2005

I believe they have now added the material for 1837-1865. Therefore they have the full range from 1837-2003.
<br>
<br>The best thing about this website is the fact that they have more transcribed records than anyone else for the Births, Deaths and Marriages. Also all the images are greyscale which is obviously better than black and white.