The Trainline www.thetrainline.com Reviews

The Trainline www.thetrainline.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Trainline www.thetrainline.com

The Trainline www.thetrainline.com

“a shoddy money grabbing business ”

Written on: 14/10/2014 by 53McKee (1 review written)

My wife booked a ticket to Birmingham International via their app - all fine and obtained a digital ticket. Sadly ticket would not actually get her into the local station, and when she did she was told the train she was booked on was cancelled. Thetrainline are refusing to refund her booking fee or credit card charge, so they have sold a ticket for a service she has been unable to use and yet she has to foot the bill. Yes, they have refunded the ticket, but in keeping the other charges this… Read Full Review

Written on: 15/10/2014

Hi,

For anyone that is wondering about the refund process you need to remember that it is for the ticket price only. Any associated booking fees are non-refundable. You need to agree to this condition before proceeding to the payment page. I can appreciate that a cancelled train is completely out with your control, but even in these circumstances we wouldn't refund this fee.

If your wife has booked a mobile ticket and she was refused entry into the station I would definitely feed that back to the train operator. Likewise, if a service was cancelled she may be due some compensation under the delay/repay scheme. The operator should have an online web form that she can fill and they’ll be in touch. As we do not run any trains we are unable to refund a customer in this situation, this includes any consequential loss, such as fuel, taxi & parking.

Chris

“Train Booking on a long journey, but no reserved seats?”

Written on: 04/10/2014 by CaidenMaloney (1 review written)

Booked with thetrainline.com to go from Peterborough to Edinburgh for the 30th December in plenty of time, however, seating tickets are not available, we are just told there will be seats available. However, we are elderly people & do not want to go up & down a train looking for seats. Trainline should have the facility to book seats at time of booking one's train tickets, if they can book the train tickets & take the money they should certainly be able to book seats at the same time. There is… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/10/2014

Hello,

By the sounds of it you've booked flexible tickets. These don't actually require seat reservations - not like the Advance tickets.

The flexible tickets are able to be purchased well in advance of travel, sometimes before any seating information is released/ updated by the operators. This is because seats aren't a necessity.

However, if seats aren't available at the time, as you know, we can still secure the ticket for you and then add seats once they are available. All we need is to be contacted closer to the departure date. Rather than having to go up and down the train looking for seats.

It is key to point out that we have no control over when or if tickets are released and when seating is available. We rely on the train operating companies releasing such information.

As an online ticket retailer our aim is to provide our customers with all ticketing options as and when they are available.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Craig

“Unhelpful beyond belief”

Written on: 28/09/2014 by 1Murray (1 review written)

Have been using the Trainline for over 10 years now but have had to change our plans for a trip to London as our son had an accident. The Trainline would not help out as we had downloadable tickets and would even let us re-book a different date for when he was feeling better. £90 out of pocket and will not using this company again… Read Full Review

Written on: 03/10/2014

Hi

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve decided not to use us again following on from your recent experience with us.

It sounds like you booked Print Your Own Tickets. As Print Your Own tickets are Advance fares, they are often the cheapest available. They can also be a more convenient way of having your tickets delivered, as they can be printed out from the comfort of your own home or office, saving time queuing at the station. However, they do come with restrictions.

For anyone else who is wondering as well, we sell this type of ticket on behalf of the train operators. They are also the one’s which set the restrictions that this type of ticket cannot be amended or refunded. This means that we cannot claim any of your money back from them should you need to cancel or change your plans. We’re pushing for this type of ticket to be made more flexible in future, and are encouraging the train operators to invest in the technology to make this possible.

In the meantime, so that our customers are aware of what they are booking, we make these limitations clear throughout the booking process.

As much as we would like to be able to provide a refund or amend your ticket under these circumstances, the restrictions imposed by the train operators on this type of ticket mean that this isn’t possible.

I hope your son is recovering well.

Fran

“Couldn't retrieve tickets from machine in station ”

Written on: 28/07/2014 by Catchembeingood (1 review written)

VERY disappointed with the Train Line. Bought online return tickets for my son who was travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow. He duly arrived at the station with his booking ref number + credit card - however the machine would not produce his ticket despite several attempts. As he was now running late he purchased (with cash) replacement tickets. Unfortunately the barrier retained these as he used them. Having now called The Train Line - they will not refund the price of the ticket as he has… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to Catchembeingood's Review

Written on: 29/07/2014

I'm sorry to hear this!

The self service ticket machines are the responsibility of the station and if they don't work you should seek help from the staff. If they are unable to help, then the account holder should get in touch with us immediately to see what we can do. We always urge you to leave plenty of time to collect them just in case there is an issue.

I'm sorry to hear there is no ticket or at least a receipt for the new fares purchased. I can appreciate that you can do without the additional expense, especially since it was through no fault of your own.

You will have to get in touch with us directly in order for us to look into this. We can be contacted by phone, email, web chat and social media.

Joanne

“Trainline ticket Derby to London next day return...”

Written on: 22/07/2014 by 99Mary99 (1 review written)

I wanted to travel off peak from Derby to London 2nd June returning 3rd June, Trainline charged me £258.50 . I will never buy from trainline again, they are the biggest cons ever. i bought a ticket on line to London, but it seems the one i chose was for one day travel. they refused to return my money. I wanted a return ticket off peak left at 5 in the evening and returning next day at 9 pm. but trainline charged me £192.50 just to go to London, one way!!?? they said i have clicked on… Read Full Review

Yasmin2210's Response to 99Mary99's Review

Written on: 22/07/2014

Trainline charge a lot more than normal, their service is terrible, their website is very deceiving on purpose.

Thetrainline.com's Response to 99Mary99's Review

Written on: 23/07/2014

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you've purchased the wrong ticket and this has led to some frustrations. It’s also disappointing to hear that you both believe the website is intentionally deceiving. I can assure you that this is certainly not our intention.

£258.50 is a lot to pay, but the pricing (and restrictions) is not something that we control. As an online ticket retailer we sell train tickets on behalf of the train operators. They are the ones that set the T&C’s for each ticket type.

We've invested a lot of time and money into helping our customers find the best deals possible. It is worth remembering that the cheapest tickets are released 12 weeks in advance of the journey. We also have some really handy hints and tips to help you save. These can be found in the ‘tools’ section of the website. This is the very last tab running along the top of the homepage.

“Terrible "track" record!”

Written on: 14/07/2014 by kceyeguy (1 review written)

I attempted to purchase tickets from thetrainline.com while traveling on a cruise. I logged into the very expensive on board wifi system in an effort to reserve 2 tickets from our cruise port in Harwich to London. Unfortunately,their system told me the "transaction could not be completed due to a bank card security issue". As a result, I purchased my tickets directly from station once we reached the port. A few days after my trip I discovered that the charge for the online tickets from… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to kceyeguy's Review

Written on: 16/07/2014

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear about this experience.

It's really difficult to make any comment on it since this issue is quite specific and I would need more info to investigate.

With any booking, you should be advised online when the booking is complete. An email confirmation is also sent to the customer. If the email address is incorrect at the time of booking then it can make it difficult to trace and is probably the reason the agents have asked you for a copy statement.

It certainly shouldn't take two weeks to resolve but there are other ways to get in touch with us. We are also available on social media or web chat.

I really hope this has been resolved by now.

Joanne

“no access to tickets”

Written on: 29/06/2014 by Antonioj304 (1 review written)

yesterday 28th june i had booked tickets to london through the trainline. at the station i could not access my e mails to get the booking reference so had to re-buy the tickets at the station on trying to get a refund today i was told they would refund the money minus £10. i certainly will not bother to use this system again!!… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/06/2014

Hi Antonio,

I'm really sorry to hear you've chosen not to use us again :(

We did everything that we were supposed to, the tickets were booked and made available - as requested.

If you weren't able to access your email, although unfortunate, it's not something we have any control over. We did send the email to begin with, what happens after that is really out of our hands.

We can be/ could have been contacted through a number of different ways - most of them free of charge. We have phone, Live Chat, Twitter and Facebook.. all monitored 7 Days a week (Phones: 8am-10pm, Social Media 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am-5pm weekends).

The refund that you were offered is standard across the rail industry and would have been same no matter who or where you purchased the ticket from.

Again, I am sorry to so you leave us but all the best.

Craig

“Lied to when phoning help line number. ”

Written on: 21/06/2014 by Beckstree (1 review written)

I have used thetrainline for many years and have never had a problem. However today I was booking a trip for myself and my dad to Liverpool for his birthday. After completing the booking I realised that I hadn't checked what the train company was that we were travelling with and I had booked first class tickets for a London Midland train. My dad is claustrophobic so I realised straight away that this wouldn't suit him. I phoned the helpline who informed me that as it wasn't a change to date… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to Beckstree's Review

Written on: 22/06/2014

Hi there,

I’m aware you have submitted a complaint regarding this matter so we will respond to you directly. For the interest of everyone else however I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Advance tickets as many of you may be aware can offer great savings, like everything however they do with a compromise which is that the conditions are much tighter.

When amending Advance tickets, only the date and time of travel can be changed as stations must remain the same. The original tickets can then be refunded subject to a £10.00 charge per ticket.

The conditions surrounding Advance tickets also state that any new tickets must be for the same price or greater. When amending tickets online (or via our Websupport team), the only tickets that will be visible will either be for the same value or greater.

Although it doesn’t happen often, at times you may find it's more beneficial to purchase completely new tickets as opposed to amending your originals. Just remember though even if you see tickets £5.00 cheaper than your originals, if you don’t make any changes and buy brand new tickets no refund is possible.

Like everything I suppose you could say there are pros and cons however the vast majority of the time Advance tickets will always save you money.

Vikki

“Trainline means easy travel”

Written on: 12/06/2014 by 10Byrne (1 review written)

Every time I think of travelling by train, I think of Trainline first. The service is easy to access and usually complete in minutes. The tickets always arrive the next day. I have encountered two problems with Trainlne - one of my own making, the other to do with technology. Trainline resolved them both with no fuss or bother… Read Full Review

Written on: 12/06/2014

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

It’s wonderful to hear that we are your first port of call when you’re booking train tickets and that you find booking with us so quick and easy to do! :-)

For anyone else who is interested, we would always advise getting in touch with us as soon as possible if you think there may be an issue with your ticket booking. That way we have a better chance of being able to provide a resolution for you before the time of travel. If you ever need to get in touch with us, our contact details can be found by clicking on the ‘Help’ section of our website.

Beckstree's Comment

Written on: 21/06/2014

Fran,
I had an problem with my tickets that was also my problem and when I phoned your help line for assistance I was lied to. I have submitted a query and also a complaint about how the issue was handled.

“Very helpful advisor”

Written on: 12/06/2014 by AmayaStevens (1 review written)

I wasnt sure what department to cleck on to i.e 1 2 or 3 but chose 1 and the advisor was very helpful and gave all the info I needed and suggested he e mailed me the details… Read Full Review

Written on: 12/06/2014

Hi

We love reading reviews like this – thank you for taking the time to share your comments!

It’s great to hear that you found the advisor that you spoke to so helpful and friendly.

Thanks again

“Happy Irish Customer”

Written on: 11/06/2014 by 352Patterson (1 review written)

The price was right and the transaction worked… Read Full Review

Written on: 11/06/2014

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your booking experience with us.

It’s exactly the kind of thing that we like to hear!

Hope you enjoy your trip to the UK!

“Great travel experience”

Written on: 11/06/2014 by Castro376 (1 review written)

Easy to book, great price, on time - fantastic. Will using this service again… Read Full Review

Written on: 11/06/2014

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback – we love reading reviews like this!

We look forward to you booking with us again soon!

Thanks again

“Trainline.com booking services”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by Nicoladiane (3 reviews written)

Both the online service and telephone service (with advisors) are easy to use. I prefer to speak to an advisor (for reassurance before booking!)but the online service is easy to use and book tickets on. I have used the online service to check times and ask a third party to book for me for work which is really helpful for me and the person concerned at work to check for availability, convenience and cost before booking. Wouldn't use another service having used this. The £12.50 advance(12… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to Nicoladiane's Review

Written on: 10/06/2014

Hi

I've noticed that you've posted the same review below - you'll find our comments there. :-)

“Trainline.com booking services”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by Nicoladiane (3 reviews written)

Thetrainline.com's Response to Nicoladiane's Review

Written on: 10/06/2014

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to share your recommendation and comments about our service – we love reading reviews like this!

It’s lovely to hear that you feel that you have had such a great experience both online with us, and when you have spoken with our support team.

Our aim is to help our customers to save money when buying their train tickets, and our Ticket Alert tool is very handy to take advantage of when you’ve got a journey planned for later in the year, because, as you’ve discovered, we’ll let you know as soon as the cheaper ‘Advance’ tickets go on sale.

For anyone else who is wondering we also have a whole host of other tools and tips for saving money which you can find under the ‘Tools’ tab on our website. This includes our Best Fare Finder – if you’re flexible with the time of day that you can travel we’ll help you find the cheapest tickets available for your journey around the date that you enter!

“Using Trainline.com Website”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by jon.sang (1 review written)

Exceptional service and very skilled team at thetrainline.com Experience has been consistently exceptional over the years. well done… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to jon.sang's Review

Hi,

What a wonderful review! I'm glad to hear that you're a fan of the site.

Enjoy your evening and thank you for sharing your experience :)

“Great price tickets”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by ovClark376 (1 review written)

I bought tickets to Inverness from Glasgow at almost quarter of the price quoted on another ticket website. Trainline was easy to use and having the facility to pick up your tickets within 2 hours of booking from a local urban rail station rather than a main city station was great. I will definitely use Trainline in future… Read Full Review

Written on: 09/06/2014

Nice one! Thanks for posting this review. We appreciate the 5 stars.

It is worth remembering that if you have your collect reference number and card you can pick your ticket up from any station in the UK that has one of these machines.

How handy is that huh?!

Chris

“great journey to London and back for the weekend....”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by alleywell (1 review written)

great journey to London and back for the weekend. everything ran like clockwork and smoothly. Could be a bit more choice from the Buffet though… Read Full Review

Thetrainline.com's Response to alleywell's Review

Hi,

Thanks for posting this four star review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip.

If you're looking to speak with someone about the buffet selection you would need to contact the train operator. As an on-line ticket retailer we do not control that area of your journey.

Nice one,

Chris :)

“thetrainline.com”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by Fletcher1974 (1 review written)

best ever travelled stress free graet day out fantastic price well done… Read Full Review

Hey,

Thanks for posting this wonderful five star review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip.

Best wishes,

Chris

“Give the man a payrise”

Written on: 09/06/2014

The person who handled my call was very efficient and a real asset to your company. He deserves a payrise… Read Full Review

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback – it’s great to hear that you think our support agent handled your enquiry so well!

If you can remember his name we’ll let him know that you think so!! ;-)

“The Trainline ”

Written on: 08/06/2014

It would be folly not to check any advance deal with this company before embarking on a train journey. It is also easy to sign up to their advance notification by email. I cannot speak highly enough about The Trainline - they have saved me a lot of money over the years, as well as taken the hassle out of train ticket purchases. I cannot think of any drawback at all... I Knight … Read Full Review

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback – we love hearing comments like this!

It’s great to hear that you find our Ticket Alert tool so handy in letting you know as soon as the cheaper Advance tickets go on sale for your journey.

For anyone else who is interested we have a host of other money saving tips under our ‘Tools’ tab as well, including our Best Fare Finder - if you’re flexible with the time of day that you can travel we’ll help you find the cheapest tickets available for your journey around the dates that you’ve entered.

thetrainline.com