Citroen C1 1.0 Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Summary

The Citroen C1 1.0 is a city car that was developed in a joint venture between Citroen and Toyota. It is powered by a 1.0 L 3-cylinder engine and has a fuel economy of 61.4 mpg. It is available in a 3 or 5 door hatchback style.
Citroen C1 1.0 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Citroen C1 1.0

“DO NOT USE”

Written on: 17/11/2013

Do not use this site! Waited 8 weeks for a wiper blade with no luck & no replies to countless emails asking for a refund. do not think i will see my money!!!… Read Full Review

“Requires care and technique but can be driven very well.”

Written on: 06/11/2013 by abbas22 (1 review written)

First and foremost, this is not a good first car! If you've just passed you're test or you're learning to drive expect to have trouble with a C1. If you're an experienced driver expect to have to adapt your technique somewhat. It may be cheap but you have to know how to drive one to do so well. A matter of revs - a balance between too many and too few. This car has a small clutch which is easy to overheat if you're not used to it, and if done frequently it will fail soon. But this car has a… Read Full Review

“The worst car I have bought in my Life-C1”

Written on: 05/04/2012 by SimonB12 (1 review written)

Unfortunately, I bought a C1 for my daughters 18th birthday. I thought.... a good first car,cheap to run and maintain and safe. How wrong and sorry could I be. For such a "basic car" the service costs are astronomical.For example, the replacement clutch cost ( by the way,the clutch failed 5 days after a service and MOT by the certified Citroen garage! which cost £270 pounds) was £599 pounds. Basically, the intent of a "certified Citroen garage" is to fleece you as much as they can once… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to SimonB12's Review

Written on: 19/04/2012

Hi. I have a Citroen C1. I can say it is cheap on fuel, tax. But it's no good in the windy weather and no good on motorways. Reversing is a nightmare as you cant see at the back especially if your small. Parcel shelf is annoying as it dosent stay down.

Abbaba's Response to SimonB12's Review

Written on: 06/11/2013

Having done nearly 30,000 miles my C1 is still going strong and without fault.
I'd sure not recommend it as a first car for anyone - as another commenter notes it is difficult to handle in windy (and other adverse) conditions and it can be challenging to reverse if you use the taught 'look over you're shoulder' method, but using the mirrors the only issue is keeping the revs up without smoking the clutch. I have to say though, I've thought i've done the clutch in on a number of occasions but it keeps on going.

This car takes a lot of care and good practice to drive well.
If you're having trouble with one, you're either not used to it or you're a bad driver. It's all in the technique.

19Trevordavies42's Response to SimonB12's Review

Written on: 02/10/2013

I do most of my C3 maintenance my self but I took my car into a garage and found that the costs were exorbitant in the UK.
In France it is in my experience different. The garage people are mostly 'time served' and provide an honest service. It is a bit more expensive but one can be confident that you get what you ask for which is not the case in the UK. Mot testers in France do not carry out any maintenance which avoids being ripped off as I have known in the UK. Go for a holiday in France and get your car fixed there! I do and have never regretted it.

Billy66's Response to SimonB12's Review

Written on: 14/02/2013

I agree. The worst car ever - 3 clutches in 5 years and now the camshaft has gone costing me £700. Do not buy this car

Jagger22's Response to SimonB12's Review

Written on: 24/12/2012

i have had myn c1 from new,its now done 12000 miles without a fault,starts first time every time,i knew when i bought it that it was a basic car,so why buy one and then expect to get the speed and comfort of a ferrari,its a lovley little car,now let me tell you about the road trip to the deep south of ireland in it,i left the deep southern ireland travelled up to rosslare port through floods and over mountain passes,then up through wales and back to the midlands,milage of 450 miles in one journey,and it never missed a beat,who needs a landrover,a superb little car,anybody with half a brain knows not to take there car to the main dealer for work,they are a rip off,all dealers are the same.

Guest's Response to SimonB12's Review

Written on: 30/06/2012

certified citroen garage wont be a actual citroen garage.
just becasue a car is serviced dont mean things wear out

“A basic but fun car you can park anywhere.”

Written on: 01/02/2012 by turnasaurus (1 review written)

The car has been totally reliable in the 5 years we have owned it. It can be parked anywhere, the handling is brilliant and it goes surprising well for a one litre motor. Ok, its a bit bumpy and perhaps a little noisy, but we bought ours for six grand on the road and it goes for miles on the sniff of a petrol rag. All in all, well worth considering… Read Full Review

“ID RATHER A 3 WHEELD CAR THAN THIS”

Written on: 06/09/2011 by JamesCatlin (1 review written)

Bought my son this car for his 18th. Payed 9,000£ in cash for it 3 years old. When i drove it home, the clutch sempt high and was making a clicking sound, so i took it back, before i gave it to my son, and they said its fine. About 6 days later my son was driving it for the first time and suprise suprise, the clutch broke, and he was stuck in gear. He managed to get the car parked and get the AA out. The garage fixed the car which cost almost 900£ and another 3 months later, the car keeps… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to JamesCatlin's Review

Written on: 05/04/2012

This sounds like the experience I had with my daughter's car. 30,000 mile service and MOT.5 days later and £270 pounds lighter the clutch fails.The " certified Citroen Garage" said "that would not have been picked up in the service" and "it could have just happened after the service".And guess what , the quote for fixing the clutch was an additional £599 pounds.

DO NOT BUY A CITROEN C1.The initial saving that you may make by "buying a cheap car" will cost you in the long term. Please learn from my mistake

“Superb car. Can cut it on the motorway or around...”

Written on: 19/09/2010 by jonno50 (3 reviews written)

Superb car. Can cut it on the motorway or around town. Struggles with full load, but I bought it as a commuting car so very rarely has full load.
Does exactly what it's meant to do with not many frills, yet very comfortable but still has driver appeal. Aygo looks better but price (£5600) for 5dr VTR (electric windows and remote locking) with metallic paint was about £2000 less than similar spec Aygo, and in any case the C1 is a Toyota. Otherwise why would you buy a French car?… Read Full Review

“An absolutely wonderful little car. ”

Written on: 30/07/2010

An absolutely wonderful little car.
I drive 400 miles a week to work so needed an economical car, the C1 does not fail there.
The digital fuel gauge has 6 bars, and my record driving at an average 55mph is 300 miles with just 2 bars gone!
My current record for MPG is 68.8, as you use the engine more it loosens up, the tank full that I am on at the moment is easily going to be in excess of 70 MPG.
If you drive this car sensibly, 70 MPG is easily achieved.
So many people report that they can only… Read Full Review

“The car has exceded my expectations. Its fun to...”

Written on: 16/05/2010

The car has exceded my expectations. Its fun to drive(even though i use it for work as well as social driving)it is cheap to run, comparitive to the cost of motoring in 2010.
The only problem i have had is with the clutch. Driving ok until all of a sudden it was difficult to engage gear. I do aknowledge i have done 39000 miles,but no indication there was a clutch problem. Ie slipping/high revving gear change etc. Took it to Citroen and they said there was a notice that there may be a problem… Read Full Review

“Love my little C1. The only problems I have had are...”

Written on: 14/04/2010 by GezC1 (1 review written)

Love my little C1. The only problems I have had are leaking rear window seals which were replaced under warranty and most recently my clutch has started playing up after only 18k miles, we use the car each day but low miles travelled. It has taken my family of three up to London and back luggage and all with no problems. Great car !!… Read Full Review

“I am a driving school instructor in my c1 I have...”

Written on: 02/10/2009

I am a driving school instructor in my c1 I have covered 89000 in that time I have replaced the clutch twice myselfe it's not a hard job .
This car has only seen a citroen garage twice 1st time inspection 1
I service this car every 10000 miles I have replaced the following
cluch as I said twice and ineed to replace again soon (well what do you expect i teach people to drive)
front discs and pads
I have replaced front pads twice again a very simple job
i have brought a code scanner from e bay… Read Full Review

Gezc1's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I have a 2006 C1 and same as a lot of other reviewers my clutch has packed up after only 18k miles !! Apart from that I love my car it has never given me any probs until the clutch.

Maxine15's Comment

Written on: 07/02/2013

Hi I've just purchased a c1 for me to take my mother shopping and its a great little cheap to run car, but am finding it hard to change gras at the moment,been to dealers they say it might be the clutch,r the gearbox,but to know that they have to strip it to see it 1st....hmmmm but yet quote me £600 for a clutch,hence gearbox under warranty as I think they want to get out of,only started this weekend whilst its been cold had it 5mths. With no problems,struggle in 1st,and reverse....any help why thxs

“The Citroen C1 1.0 diesel version has a lot of torque...”

Written on: 21/08/2009

The Citroen C1 1.0 diesel version has a lot of torque output and coupled with the low kerb weight makes the car really nippy. It easily accelerates up quite steep hills. Getting 62 mpg with a 75% urban / 25% extra-urban driving split. The cabin is exceptionally roomy for a small car, plenty of leg room / head room. Leg room is good in the back (as long as the front seats aren't right back). Suspension is on the stiff side so a bit bumpy here and there but also makes the car handle well. Extra… Read Full Review

“bought a Citroen C1 for my daughters 18th birthday ”

Written on: 21/07/2009

bought a Citroen C1 for my daughters 18th birthday
in later stages of february.
it had 31000 on the clock and was in good condition.
i drove it and commented on the height of the clutch before the
car started to move but was told this was normal.
surprise surprise 5 months later the clutch is done in and is not covered by the warranty because of the 12000 mile nonsense.
it is now going to cost £526.82p to fix.
i asked if they could have checked the clutch before i bought the car and was told… Read Full Review

Simonb12's Comment

Written on: 05/04/2012

This is frighteningly close to the experience I have just had with my 18 year old daughter. Mileage of car, timing of event, excuses of the garage and cost (although garage was quoting £599!)

“I bought a Citroen C1 1.0 in feb 2007 , in July 2008...”

Written on: 15/05/2009

I bought a Citroen C1 1.0 in feb 2007 , in July 2008 it had a clutch problem now i cant even buy the kit last year it was R6500 this year R10000 what is the use of selling car that are not fixable… Read Full Review

“Our Citroen C1 (June 2007) has developed a slipping...”

Written on: 12/05/2009 by chrisburrows (2 reviews written)

Our Citroen C1 (June 2007) has developed a slipping clutch after only 35000 miles - most of which has been done on motorways, not around town. I have taken the car into the Citroen garage this week, and have told them that I expect the clutch to be replaced under warranty, but they say that this is unlikely as the clutch is only guaranteed for 12000 miles. If the garage cannot replace the clutch under warranty, I will take this to Trading Standards, as I don ' t believe that 35000 miles on… Read Full Review

“I bought this Citroen C1 1.0 car from new in 2006 and...”

Written on: 17/03/2009 by tinytrimble (1 review written)

I bought this Citroen C1 1.0 car from new in 2006 and cannot fault it for anytbing. The running costs have to be the best part. My version did have metallic paint etc but NO electric windows or central locking which I thought was pretty much standard in new cars these days!! Get little car but priced a little high!… Read Full Review

“We have a Berlingo multispace and I wanted the Citroen...”

Written on: 27/07/2008 by Crossroads (1 review written)

We have a Berlingo multispace and I wanted the Citroen C1 just to get me to work and for running around town. I love the Berlingo and was worried about the vast change in size but from the test drive I was hooked. Loads of space in the front for two people. It will take four people comfortably on a short journey. The luggage room is small if you try using large holdalls, change your packing habits, use smaller bags and you'll get two people and enough luggage for a fortnights self catering… Read Full Review

“I would not buy another Citroen. I purchased the...”

Written on: 25/07/2008 by MattCox (1 review written)

I would not buy another Citroen. I purchased the Citroen C1 vibe April 2007, within 15 months the following problems occurred; clutch was slipping, the dealership adjusted the clutch cable. Inside 2 days the clutch was slipping again. After dealership investigation the clutch was replaced due to a default in manufacturing. Returning from a holiday found liquid beneath the vehicle, the AA was called and advised not to drive the vehicle so the car was towed to the dealership. The dive shaft seals… Read Full Review

“Overall a great, efficient, city car - good value for...”

Written on: 21/06/2008 by engman (2 reviews written)

Overall a great, efficient, city car - good value for money. Acceleration could of course be a lot better, but not with the efficiency of the car. Fun to drive in town with a great turning circle for easy parking. Easy to reverse too with good visibility… Read Full Review

“I bought my Caldera black C1 diesel without even a...”

Written on: 13/01/2008 by Llandudnoboy (1 review written)

I bought my Caldera black C1 diesel without even a test drive and specifically for its appearance, economy, low insurance and tax.
Having bought it new collecting it on my birthday on the 5th June 2007 heavily discounted by Citroen to £7,495 which included the paint because the car was already in stock in their showroom.
It has surpassed all my expectations with economy I could only dream about.

A lucky purchase on ebay of a refurbished set of Aygo sport alloys for a more than reasonable… Read Full Review

“Cheap and high quality. 3dr Vibe is very cheap to buy...”

Written on: 11/01/2008

Cheap and high quality. 3dr Vibe is very cheap to buy and run. Not many extras which means less to go wrong. Perfect cheap motoring… Read Full Review