Peugeot 406 GTX 2.0 Automatic Reviews

Peugeot 406 GTX 2.0 Automatic - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Peugeot 406 GTX 2.0 Automatic

Peugeot 406 GTX 2.0 Automatic
Peugeot 406 GTX 2.0 Automatic

“I've had this car for over six years now and have...”

Written on: 17/08/2009 by ajmchut (1 review written)

I've had this car for over six years now and have found it to be one of the best I've ever owned. It's an early MkII fitted with the AL4 auto box. It needed new front coil springs and the a new radiator (standard weak points on the 406) shortly after I bought it, but apart from that it's been utterly reliable in all weathers. There's still no rust damage, and the engine doesn't burn any oil. The Peugeot 406 GTX 2.0 Automatic starts first go every time, and handles well on all sorts of roads. My… Read Full Review

“Overall great car to drive with good solid handling...”

Written on: 24/02/2008 by joshiwood (1 review written)

Overall great car to drive with good solid handling and reasonable power. Lots of gadgets in my cars case especially when considering the age (mine an S) and price (only paid £600 long tax & MOT). Had a few reliability problems namely bushings which wear very fast and a suspect auto gearbox which is revving to high and engine breaking without command which I'm told could be very expensive to fix as its a specialist job. However all in all can't grumble for the price i paid and all in all a… Read Full Review

“I had a 406 GLX 2.0 manual,1999. Which has suffered...”

Written on: 04/02/2003 by lumpy. (1 review written)

I had a 406 GLX 2.0 manual,1999. Which has suffered from erratic idle, (lumpy on tickover).The car had been back to the main dealers appx 7 times with countless components changed including a very expensive engine management system, ECU. With all the latest downloads the garage failed to find the fault and blamed it on the characteristic of 406's. After threatening them with court action, I finally got them to exchange the car for a GTX model, which might I say runs smoothly without any… Read Full Review

Davemitchell's Response to lumpy.'s Review

Written on: 13/01/2004

I also have a 406 2.0 although it is a Manual box.
<br>It also suffers lumpy / erratic tickover I have taken it back to Cribbs Causeway peugeot dealer several times without resoulution!
<br>The last time they said it was the hydraulic cams which they so said changed - alas the same as it was before.
<br>They just don't know what causes the lumpiness!!
<br>I have now given up and decided to "live with it"
<br>As had been said already the customer service is the worst I have ever come across. They just do not care once they have sold the car.
<br>In my opinion do not buy a car from Templegate Motors in Bristol they are not good
<br>I have no other complaints on the car it's just just a mass production bolt standard car and I do not expect it to be anything thing than that.

Tonyh's Response to lumpy.'s Review

Written on: 10/12/2004

Hi I've been trying to get to the bottom of the lumpy idle speed for at least 70,000 miles. The local dealers have appalling knowledge and expertise. I am going through all posible causes from a hit list which I have concocted myself, thoroughly checking all sensors etc. with my own electronic and engineering knowhow. The latest suspect, (and I hope the final one), is the fuel pump pressure, which sits at 4 bar, and I think is too high. I have ordered a new one and hope that it clears the problem.

“Generally impressed with the car but disappointed with...”

Written on: 03/08/2002 by Farhad. (1 review written)

Generally impressed with the car but disappointed with Dealers attitude. Typical UK main dealer, rude and arrogant.

Engine Noise very intrusive at above four thousand revs.
Level of equipment is impressive for the price… Read Full Review

“Before I start, this car is only available in UK and...”

Written on: 21/10/2001 by S25875 (1 review written)

Before I start, this car is only available in UK and Europe. It is also the new shape YEAR 2000 model and not the older one with slighty different attributes.

We bought our Peugeot 406 in March last year. Since then we have experienced smooth curves that blow away the dumpy lines of Vectra and Mondeo, a lovely cosetting ride, a interior with the ambiance to match a 3-Series. Also, the car has lots of equipment including automatic air conditioning, electric seats and a CD Player. The 2.0… Read Full Review