Maynards Sports Mixture Reviews

Maynards Sports Mixture - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Maynards Sports Mixture

Maynards Sports Mixture

“Not as good as they used to be”

Written on: 27/06/2014 by Marissa407 (1 review written)

They are nice but preferred them when harder and Lions made them. Also preferred original black flavour not black current or whatever it is now… Read Full Review

“Lion Gums Reviews”

Written on: 22/06/2014 by TechnicsGX7 (1 review written)

I award one star because Lion Gums are NOT the same time honoured or original recipe at all. And I would not recommend to a friend - who HAD tasted the original gums. They'd be gutted!! The original LION CONFECTIONERY was sold off/taken over by Tangerine some years ago. No sooner had they taken over, than they began hijacking the recipes throughout the entire range - including changing the ingredients. In doing so, they have completely destroyed the original superb taste and the texture of… Read Full Review

“What happened???”

Written on: 26/04/2014 by RowanCox312 (1 review written)

I independently came to the same conclusion as just about everybody else commenting here. The gums are too soft, the flavours are horrible, the black ones have gone, and the shapes are unrecognisable. A good example of taking something which was great and totally spoiling it… Read Full Review

Maynards Sports Mixture

“Sports Mix Nearly Killed Me”

Written on: 05/11/2013 by bahrain-ollie (1 review written)

Firstly let me point out that I am not a child or disabled in any way, and I have never choked on anything in my life (30 years and still here) but that all changed when I 'dropped' a Sports Mix! What I thought was an insignificant chewy little sweet turned out to be a little back ninja assassin that choked me out better than a UFC veteran. Should come with a choking hazard! Taste - meh, not worth dying over. Chewiness - Beyond ridiculous … Read Full Review

“What happened??”

Written on: 27/06/2013 by DebBear (1 review written)

Sports Mixture have been one of my favourite sweets for years, what on earth happened to them? It was bad enough when they went a bit softer and swapped the absolutely delicious licorice black ones, for blackcurrant??? Yuk! I did however keep buying them, just for the gorgeous pineapple flavoured one. However, I was so disappointed yesterday, to find that they have gone "soft", more like wine gums than sports mixture, and the yellow ones are now lemon. If I wanted soft lemon jellies I wouldn't… Read Full Review

Andrewsyk's Response to DebBear's Review

Written on: 29/08/2013

Couldn't agree more. I've eaten Lion's midget gems, sports mixtures, wine gums and butterscotch gums since I was a boy in the 60's. What on earth has Maynard's done to them? Far better when they were a 'hard' gum. Just bought butterscotch gums and like you disappointed to find a soft squashy sweet that tasted of nothing! Also spotted that Maynard's are sneakily changing individual flavours. One day the Yorkshire folk will rise up and stop buying the flipping things!

Stevethebarbarian's Response to DebBear's Review

Written on: 13/04/2014

You can still get the originals. Probably in proper sweet shops still weighing out of jars, or like me buy the 3kg version. They are Lion Brand, not Maynard, and still have the liquorice ones. Find them on Amazon.

Scamps42's Response to DebBear's Review

Written on: 29/10/2013

Hey DebBear

Dont lose faith... When Cadbury bought Bassetts they also mopped up Maynard's whom Bassett's had aquired some years earlier. Now comes the sad bit.....To be fair to Cadbury, they tried with the sweets brands packaging, but advertising budgets were slashed. Cadbury remained a British player with an understanding of British sweets - we're not ALL chocolate hounds...

But all was not well at the good ship Cadbury and when they sold(out) to Kraft, they not only gave away their choc brands but the sweets too. I believe Bassetts are owned by Kraft and Maynards.... well my lat pack had a company name I'd never heard of. This is the sad position of the best UK sweetie brands now in ownership of Kraft and Nestle (Rowntree Macintosh). Neither of these foreign companies have ANY idea of heritage/taste of UK sweetie market. Nestle have ruined fruit pastiles, jelly tots and tooti fruiti and Kraft and AN other are well on way with Bassett and Maynards Brands.
The hope as I see it is two fold. Well three really... One Swizzels - maintaining a british tradition for kids big and small. And Tangerine, a Blackpool based company which owns the Lion Brand and Barratt brand (two of my traditional faves). As such they fly flag for oldschool British sweets including the ORIGINAL Sports Mix. Check them out on ebay, Amazon, and net sellers like aquarterof and sugarboy. No blackcurrant, and still quite hard DebBear

Scamps42's reply to Scamps42's Comment

Written on: 29/10/2013

Forget to add with liquorice and pineapple!!!

“Where's the Black ?”

Written on: 20/04/2013

There used to be a black one that tasted completely different to the others then it was taken out. I seem to recall that the black ones were then sold in bags of their own. where can I get my hands on bags of the original black ones.AS for the fruit ones they are boring and dull. Bring back the black… Read Full Review

“WHATA LET DOWN”

Written on: 13/03/2013 by SUZIESWEET (1 review written)

Just opened a 150 gramme bag of Maynards Sports Mix. I'm not in the habit of counting the sweets but have just tipped them onto the table as I wanted to eat my favourite first, i.e. Black There are 37 sweets - 1 black (my favourite) NO red, 10 green, NO yellow and 26 orange (my least favourite) I don't mind tolerating my fair share of orange if the colours are evenly distributed. What a let down… Read Full Review

“HORRIBLE”

Written on: 13/08/2012

I bought a packet of sports mix and they were horrible it tasted like they had been sprayed with perfume, Whats going on why do they taste so bad????… Read Full Review

“Rancid taste”

Written on: 20/06/2012

I bought a bag of the sports mixtures on the 12 th June and they tasted rancid, I have emailed to them and heard nothing be carefull as I gave to my grandson first and was very upset as the taste really upset him Angela Hartlepool… Read Full Review

Written on: 14/07/2012

Have posted a response below on shugburrell's comment

“new flavour poison”

Written on: 21/05/2012 by shugburrell (1 review written)

the new flavour in new packets to promote olympic games is absolutely poisonous and tainted the rest of the bag. I couldn't get the taste from my mouth for at least an hour and now I am psychologically scarred in case I eat another one and get that taste. What on earth have you done? These used to be my favourite sweets? I feel I should be compensated for being subject to such an horrendous taste. Am going to collect all the pink ones and send them back to company to demand they sit and eat… Read Full Review

Chootch's Response to shugburrell's Review

Written on: 14/07/2012

I wrote to Cadbury and complained and received the following reply

'I confirm we have identified a flavour deviation for these sweets. It has affected only a very short period of production. The result is that a limited number of packs exhibit an unusual taste when compared to our standard product.

Please be assured that there is no indication that the flavour is harmful and it does not pose a food safety risk'

They are continuing to monitor each batch of the product. Oh and I got a £10 voucher refund :-)

I have purchased another bag since and with some hesitation, ate the red ones again - and they were perfect!

“Absolutely Cracking”

Written on: 20/05/2012 by RAWickham9 (1 review written)

Great taste, great texture. Simply the best fruit gum confectionary product out there at the moment… Read Full Review

“YUCK!!”

Written on: 17/05/2012

I have been a fan of Lions Sports Mix (the best in my view) then Maynards, a bit of shame when licorise flavour went, so I had not bought any for a while, until the Team GB version on sale now. The first sweet out was OK but then I got an orange colour and had to spit it out. The flavour was of cleaning fluid or some such unpleasant tasting chemical. I thought maybe it was a one off so had another orange which was inedible also. I have complained to Cadburys who replied with a standard… Read Full Review

Maynards Sports Mixture

“What have they done?!!!!”

Written on: 07/05/2012 by chootch (1 review written)

I always keep a bag of Sport Mixtures in my car and last week opened my latest packet, which was branded for Team GB by Cadbury. Oh my god, I was nearly sick. The red ones taste like chemicals. Seriously, I don't think this can be intentional, can only presume something has gone very full… Read Full Review

Jwalls's Response to chootch's Review

Written on: 11/05/2012

I totally agree with you the red one's are vile god know what's in them but I hope it's nothing bad.

Maynards Sports Mixture

“Just eating a bag of sports mixtures 150g Bag number...”

Written on: 27/04/2012

Just eating a bag of sports mixtures 150g Bag number oshog20641. some of the orange coloured sweets taste like poison. There is definately something wrong with these sweets. Have had them many times but they never tasted like this… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/05/2012

I must agree, the sweets that are between red and orange in colour are revolting, taste of very strong perfume.

Sheldon1's Comment

Written on: 07/05/2012

Glad it wasn't just me. I think the sweets have been tampered with during manufacture. Was hoping Cadbury would have written a response.

Written on: 07/05/2012

That's it, perfume!!! I'm glad it'snot just me. I'm sending them back this week as a very dissatisfied customer

Written on: 07/05/2012

Agreed. Bought a couple of packets last week and sending them back. Vile. It's the red ones in the packets I have. I was almost sick. It's like tasting chemicals. Yack! I hope it's just a blunder and not a forced change.

Written on: 07/05/2012

prefered it when the black ones tasted of liquorice

Maynards Sports Mixture

“I love the green, orange and red ones but honestly I...”

Written on: 29/12/2011 by emmavic (1 review written)

I love the green, orange and red ones but honestly I dont know why the liquorice ones were taken out, absolutely loved the liquorice ones and now because of this I dont tend to buy them as often as I used to. It is exactly the same with the midget gems aswell. … Read Full Review

“Maynards Sports Mix”

Written on: 01/12/2011 by BAMFORS (1 review written)

Love Them - Love the Blacks - Hated The Old Liquorice Black Ones - Not as Hard as before but wine gums after all… Read Full Review

Maynards Sports Mixture

“Not the same sweeties any more :( Totally Revolting.”

Written on: 13/11/2011 by Marbles296 (1 review written)

Our family buy these weekly... its a Sunday night tradition. Not any more... we had our last packet tonight. I was going to report them as being faulty or a bad run, but then I read the packaging. When Cadbury bought the original company I waited for the change... and here it is. The sweets are inedible. In fact some of them smell of vomit. How very sad that you felt the need to change them... There was no need whatsoever. I hope that this is not a unique review and that you get so many… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to Marbles296's Review

“Something missing”

Written on: 04/09/2011

It was bad enough taking away the black one's, but you put the flavours on the bag, so where's the pineapple? We have a bag nearly every week and no pineapple explain!!!!!!!!… Read Full Review

Maynards Sports Mixture

“What on earth have they done to Sports mixture? We...”

Written on: 21/04/2011

What on earth have they done to Sports mixture? We have been searching for a bag with the yellow sweet in for some time now, to no avail. And the culprit behind this huge blow to Sports Mixture fans, Cadbury. Don't be fooled by the 'Maynards' name (poor old Lions, you should never have sold your lovely company to these greedy monsters). Yes, Cadbury have 'mucked' up the recipe for Sports Mixture. Their attention to detail is pretty cra p too. Blobs rather than shapes. And the CRIME of… Read Full Review

Written on: 06/06/2011

yes i agree, BRING BACK THE YELLOW lol i wont be buying anymore till they do :)

Written on: 22/06/2011

Already complained. They told me they were bringing them back and they'd be there soon. All they gave me was a £3 voucher. That was months ago. I even complained today on the Radcliffe and Maconie show today.

Maynards Sports Mixture

“have maynards taken over from lions now 4 sports...”

Written on: 18/04/2011

have maynards taken over from lions now 4 sports mixture as i tried a packet of maynards last week horrible i prefer the lions ones they had more flavour and more taste and they were firmer than the maynards ones. so i hope u can stil get the lions ones… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/06/2011

You can get the Lions ones in Ye Olde Sweet shops in the big jars.