Stihl MS 440 18" Reviews

Stihl MS 440 18" - Ask a question now

Stihl MS 440 18"

“I've used my Stihl MS 440 for about two years. It is a...”

Written on: 26/09/2005 by wardjj (1 review written)

I've used my Stihl MS 440 for about two years. It is a nice saw but mine has a serious problem with the chain jumping off the bar. I've brought it to the dealer but he does not know what to do about it. I've owned 2 other saws and have never had this problem. If the chain gets loose at all it will jump the bar and usually hits you in the leg. The chain is always chewed up or ruined in the process. I now keep a very close eye on the chain and tighten it after just a few logs.
Recently the gas… Read Full Review

Evnglzr's Response to wardjj's Review

Written on: 08/10/2005

Sounds like you have way to much power for that little bar(18"). Suggest at least a 25" bar for that saw.
<br>That saw has over 5 hp. Poor little 18" bar chain can't handle it.
<br>Anyway just a thought.

Stihl MS 440 18"

“The Stihl MS 440 18 chainsaw has recently replaced my...”

Written on: 02/05/2005 by edd hammond (1 review written)

The Stihl MS 440 18 chainsaw has recently replaced my 14" husqvarna which had begun to become weak and tiresome. This model from stihl is very strong and powerful but at the same time is agile.
When I came to buy it I saw some professional tree surgeons and this is the model that they adopt for everyday use (they use a 25" bar)

I recomend the new chain because after some heavier use my chain was becoming tro feel laboured with larger logs so I purchased a rapid duro special blade and it made a… Read Full Review

214606_Dave100's Response to edd hammond's Review

Written on: 22/10/2005

What? Did you ever consider sharpening your first chain? Anybody who recommends putting a 14" bar on a Stihl MS 440 should not be trusted...

Edd Hammond's Response to edd hammond's Review

Written on: 21/11/2005

For your knowledge i had my original blade sharpened but it was becoming blunt very quickly. The reason i recommend a 14" bar is that anything bigger can become cumbersome and so could be dangerous to anyone inexperienced, but it has enough power to cope with most situations and with infrequent use which some other models do not seem to be able to do...