Eley Wasp 5.6mm Reviews

Eley Wasp 5.6mm
Eley Wasp 5.6mm

“Wasp 5.6mm”

Written on: 25/04/2013

I have tried the 5.6 mm Wasps several times, with mixed results. A couple of batches were really good, but the rest were very poor. In the previous reviews no one mentioned the weight of the pellets, which is quite relevant, the poor ones being around 13gn and the good ones near 15gn, both being advertised as approx 14.5gn. I would rate the heavier, well formed ones four out of five and the lighter badly made ones zero… Read Full Review

“New eley wasp”

Written on: 27/08/2012

On opening the tin you can see the poor quality and the miss shaped skirts. The pellet can be easily squashed between the fingers and are misshaped straight from the tin. Grouping is about 2" at 20 yards through my .22 airsporter, Very poor. Just found some old Spitfire pellets that seem tight to get in to the loading cylinder so my be close to 5.6 and the grouping is about 1". Will not be buying any more wasps… Read Full Review

Kimm742's Comment

Written on: 30/09/2012

Sorry to hear this. The problems you describe are typical of those associated with the early batches which followed the change of manufacturer. I wonder, is it possible that your tin had been sitting on the shelf for a while and was indeed one of the early batches? I've just bought another tin and there's not a duff pellet there. Before giving up on them, could I suggest you try a tin bought from a dealer who shifts a lot of them? That should guarantee you get a more recently-made batch.
But whatever you choose, I wish you and your Airsporter many more years of happy shooting

Kimm742's Comment

Written on: 01/10/2012

Follow up: Been doing some digging, you'd be surprised at how many Airsporters are still out there. The Americans in particular love them. From the various discussions groups, I gather that the RWS Superfield (5.52 head size, not 5.51) works well, but the pellet that got the biggest thumbs-up was the H&N FTT (Field Target Trophy).
Apparently they are 5.54mm, and as the Airsporter's true bore is (again, apparently) 5.58mm the difference is so minimal that it doesn't matter.

Hope this is useful.

“Wasp.22 (5.6mm) pellets”

Written on: 22/10/2011 by Kimm742 (63 reviews written)

Well here's a trip down memory lane- haven't used these for years. Why? Because, like many other shooters,I was tempted away from the humble Wasp by the various exotic offerings from across the Channel,particularly those from RWS and H&N. So why am I back trying Wasps? Because, with the exception of Logun Penetrators, my 35 year old BSA Airsporter is grouping like a shotgun. The Airsporter,like most British guns (and pellets) of the 70s and 80s, was 5.6 mm whereas Continental guns and ammo were… Read Full Review

Hangfirebutnottheotherone's Response to Kimm742's Review

Written on: 28/01/2014

My Vulcan Mk2 (.22) is still throwing 10 shot 1" groups at 30 yards with Wasps. Killed a lot of bunnies and woodies over the years. Works for me.

“Hi I just became the owner of a BSA Airsporter mk7...”

Written on: 28/03/2011 by Toby007 (1 review written)

Hi I just became the owner of a BSA Airsporter mk7 carbine which I am informed has a 5.6mm .22 barrel, so the wasp 5.6 (No2) are the only pellet so far to fit and they seem to work better than they look I got a 10p size group at 30 ft on my first try.
Modern guns are 5.5mm .22 so there is a wealth of choice for you to choose from in pellets,please feel free to advise me of any other 5.6mm pellets currently available but in the meantime thank you Bisley for carrying on with the 5.6mm No2… Read Full Review

“i have used eley wasp pellets for years and find them...”

Written on: 20/11/2009

i have used eley wasp pellets for years and find them as good as any other . you must also know they are 5.7 mm compared to most 5,5 so they will be tight in some guns .especially if yours is bored out for 5,5 . i use them for vermin shooting and considering the price of them compared to other foreign pellets , they are a bargain so buy british… Read Full Review

Bellasbabe's Comment

Written on: 06/04/2011

actually there 5.6mm not 5.7mm

“Thought I was buying the old quality eley wasp when I...”

Written on: 20/12/2008

Thought I was buying the old quality eley wasp when I got them home I noticed the make had changed to bisley. Not to worry I thought they are probably made exactly the same, then I opened the tin it looked like a tin of rejects difficult to find 1 with a round rim and they shot just as poorly as they looked with an ocasional pellet straying 3" away from a poor 1.5"group at ten yards. I will never buy these pellets again… Read Full Review

The Wriggler's Comment

Written on: 22/07/2009

I found this review very helpful because... I experienced exactly the same thing when I recently bought a tin of Eley Wasp 5.6mm for my old airsporter. As soon as I opened the tin I could see that they had changed and they grouped hoplessly when I tried them in various air rifles.What a dissapointment and what pellet can I use now in older british .22 air rifles that have 5.6mm barrels? I still have about 150 of the old original pellets left soat least i have something to compare them against.

“Having tested a variety of pellets in my old BSA...”

Written on: 12/08/2007 by Belatucadrus (21 reviews written)

Having tested a variety of pellets in my old BSA Mercury, I've settled on the Eley Wasp 5.6mm as the pellet of choice, a fairly ordinary looking silver Diablo style pellet with a very mildly recessed flat in the tip, not enough to be classified as a hollow point, but it's consistent, so presumably is a design feature. While not up to the quality of finish shown in a Powerpell, the current pellets are well made, quality problems mentioned in reviews from a couple of years back appear to have… Read Full Review

“I find that the wasps are really good pellets i own a...”

Written on: 17/03/2007 by bedroom sniper221 (1 review written)

I find that the wasps are really good pellets i own a Webley Raider .22 2 shot and I find my self shooting starlins at 60yrds and some times over that with these pellets the 5.6 version is i think better for bolt action rifles because you have the advantage of pushing the pellet in, a friend of mine owns a Norica Dragon in .22 which is a break barrel and he said that he found it hard to push the pellet in, other advantages of having that extra .1mm is that it hugs the barrel more so it is more… Read Full Review

“I use the Eley Wasp for pest control and find they are...”

Written on: 30/05/2006 by ace mase (2 reviews written)

I use the Eley Wasp for pest control and find they are really effective at distance as they penetrate well. My air rifle is at 10ftp (below the legal limit) and find I have taken rabbits out at 25-30 with no problem… Read Full Review

“Well I got some of the Eley Wasp for a change just to...”

Written on: 25/01/2006 by BomBom101 (1 review written)

Well I got some of the Eley Wasp for a change just to see what they were like, my mate used some in his BSA Meteor and seemed to do well

However what I didn't know was his BSA Meteor was 5.6mm where as my Webley and Scott Singray was 5.5mm (oh dear) and they took some pressing to get in! But eventually they did and they performed reasonably well 1/2 inch at 30 yards but Lazadomes are loads better

Apart from them not fitting well in 5.5mm barrels they are alright but I don't intend on going… Read Full Review

Bertie's Response to 176891_BomBom101's Review

Written on: 27/01/2006

BomBom.......you say that they're well made, and also that they look as if they were made very quickly which would imply they were somewhat less than desirable.
<br>
The last tin of Wasps (5.5mm) I bought about two years ago looked as if they were cast in a clay mould in someone's shed. I didn't return them as they were cheap enough and as I had a new springer at the time, I used them for running it in.
<br>
<br>I subsequently learned that Eley were going through a bit of an upheaval due to a takeover or something and that things would get better. Any info on this BomBom?

Jayhunter's Response to 176891_BomBom101's Review

Written on: 11/05/2006

I used to use ely wasps in 5.5 mm in my BSA lightning they performed very well not quite as good as accupell but for hunting they were fine out to 40-45 yards.

176891_Bombom101's Response to 176891_BomBom101's Review

Written on: 06/02/2006

ey? lettuce lol? im sorry i phrased my last comment wrong about "heard" lol

Bertie's Response to 176891_BomBom101's Review

Written on: 03/02/2006

BomBom....I wrote that I "learned", not "heard" - and from somewhere on Review Centre, who, along with yours truly, will be eternally grateful to you for scotching such a nasty rumour. And I certainly will NOT slap, leave alone bite the hand that feeds me!
Anyway, what's a lettuce got to do with it?

176891_Bombom101's Response to 176891_BomBom101's Review

Written on: 02/02/2006

well the internet is a good place to spread nasty rumors so, whoever you heard that off, you'd better give them a slap cross the hand, cos theres no info on a takeover or anything like that.

☆☆☆☆☆

“Eley Wasp 5.6mm: ”

Written on: 30/03/2005 by Lightning22 (6 reviews written)

Eley Wasp 5.6mm:
Years back I used to shoot a .22 BSA with a 5.6mm barrel (as opposed to the 5.5mm now on BSA's).
I remember them to be some of the best made pellets around, always nice and uniform in shape with a nice shiny finish. In my old BSA they were unbeatable and I must have shot around 8000 of them over the years, if I missed, it was my fault.

I bought a tin today for an old Webley pistol I have just bought, I opened the tin waiting for all the memories to come flooding… Read Full Review