GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover Reviews

• Customer service

GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover

“Motoring assist cover”

Written on: 06/03/2015 by Tyrelly72 (1 review written)

Excellent service from all concerned; call centre, recovery company and settlement of claim… Read Full Review

“Been a loyal customer, not anymore”

Written on: 19/02/2015 by ReidBallard165 (1 review written)

I have family cover and twice in the last 4 months we have had to call them out. The first time they couldn't find my membership number. Eventually got that sorted, confirmed my location, said they would send someone out but they were very busy. Would send a text to confirm eta and also ring 10 mins before the recovery chap would arrive. Never received the call or text and when the chap arrived 2 hours later said he had been sent to the wrong location. Second time we again were promised text… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/02/2015

I was sorry and disappointed to read that the service provided to your breakdown was below our usual standard.

If this anonymous complainant lets us have details we will certainly do our best to investigate this further.

“AWFUL SERVICE.”

Written on: 31/01/2015

I am extremely livid after a phone call with one of their assistants. My car had been flat for over 3 months and after explaining the issue the assistant thought she could tell me what I should have done. 'Well maybe you should have sorted it out there and then when it broke down.' Well excuse me since when did you know the circumstances of my life ?? She was extremely rude and handle my situation poorly. They are obviously not trained to speak to customers properly. I do not expect to be… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/02/2015

I was sorry and disappointed to read your review. If this anonymous complainant lets us have details we will certainly do our best to look further into the issues raised.

Askey.ag's Comment

Written on: 18/02/2015

Unfortunately you cannot help some people !!!
I have always had a great service from Gem and found the staff to be very helpful and polite.
Perhaps this person shouldn't be allowed to drive let allowed take out break down cover !!!1

SAD

Smudje's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2015

Three whole months!?!?! Are you for real??

“sent recovery to wrong country never mind wrong road”

Written on: 27/01/2015

Call to request recovery. Gave clear directions and road names re breakdown. waited two hours in snow storm with a child in car. They never came. I phoned back to tell them recovery no show. Asked them where truck was coming from and they said Pontypool. Had to tell them again area I in was in Scotland. Picked up nearly 4 hours later. Had to call friend to come get nephew as had no power,hence no heating and were on main drag off motorway.They phoned me following complaint and suggested staff… Read Full Review

“Was a Member, NOT ANYMORE”

Written on: 09/12/2014 by westie1005 (1 review written)

I had cause to make a claim for re-imbursement for a roadside call out, it was for my daughter,s car, the car had a flat battery and was duly sorted out, but because I wrote on claim form that my daughter would have driven (if the car had no fault) my claim was dismissed, I stated that the category on the form is misleading (who was driving at time of breakdown) No-one was driving at this point as the car wouldnt start !!!!!!! I WAS THE LAST PERSON IN THE DRIVING SEAT AND IF IT HAD OF STARTED I… Read Full Review

Gem Motoring Assist's Response to westie1005's Review

Written on: 11/12/2014

We are extremely sorry that he failed to understand the terms & conditions of his policy. Since GEM Breakdown cover was introduced nearly 40 years ago it has only ever provided assistance for members driving any car or when as a passenger in a car they own. These conditions are clearly shown on our website and in the written terms & conditions which every member receives.

Our cover has never extended to allow passengers in any other cars to claim assistance following a breakdown . Such provision would clearly significantly alter the scope of the scheme and would require us to substantially increase our premiums to allow for the undoubted increase in claims. In this particular case it was Mr Barnes daughter that broke down and unfortunately she is not a member of GEM. For obvious reasons our claim form requests details to check validity of the claim.

We have acted entirely correctly in this matter and have re- emphasised the extent of the cover that he has with us.

Chief Executive

“Four and a half hour wait ”

Written on: 12/11/2014 by dmShepherd242 (1 review written)

Was recommended by a friend to join Gem but will not be renewing . I could have dismantled the car and carried it home quicker ! How they have won best breakdown service on at least 4 occasions is beyond me ! How can you take 41/2 hours to respond to a breakdown ??? Was told the recovery vehicle broke down and local operator systems crashed but frankly a joke ! I had to call Gem twice and the local operator as well to find out what was going on ! I will be seeking compensation ! Luckily I'm not… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/11/2014

As one of the few remaining independent motoring clubs GEM strives to provide a first class service to all members. Very occasionally things do go wrong and if they do we investigate thoroughly and take appropriate action.

Please let us have your details and we will certainly do our best to rectify any error.

Chief Executive

“three and half hour wait”

Written on: 11/11/2014 by waddi88 (1 review written)

broke down on 9 11 14 at 1 00pm promised assistance inside two hours,assistance finally arrived at 4.30 pm.I was aprox half a mile from Bury town center thank god I wasnt in the country.An offer of £30 has been made but I think I would prefer the a speedier service. Needless to say I will be changing to another breakdown service … Read Full Review

“GEM motor assist ”

Written on: 20/10/2014 by seb123456789 (1 review written)

My experience of using GEM is that it is an exceptional service. The response to my breakdown was prompt and reclaiming the costs was simple and fast. This represents good value for money… Read Full Review

“CAME TO OUR RESCUE AND ALL INVOLVED WERE VERY HELPFUL”

Written on: 30/08/2014 by CherishTobin (1 review written)

We broke down on a Sunday afternoon in Windsor Great Park when our power steering failed following a journey from Somerset. Recovery vehicle with a very helpful driver took us back to our garage to leave the van and onwards to our home, long journey down the M4. We were impressed by the efficiency of GEM and the successful outcome. They even offered to collect the car from home the following morning to take it to the garage if needed. Well done GEM!… Read Full Review

“Daughter lef waiting for three hours”

Written on: 15/08/2014 by Pete_C (1 review written)

In the past I have been very pleased, with service from Gem Assist, but sadly all that changed. My daughter who is named on my policy, needed recovery, she called just before 9pm, to be told it will be about an hour, but will text her with breakdown operator info, an hour passes with no contact so she phones again, there is no record of her previous call, as there was a shift change at 9pm. 10pm calls again, more promises of texting details and an estimate of 1 hour wait. 11pm still nothing… Read Full Review

“Like standing at the side of a busy motorway for hours ?”

Written on: 17/06/2014 by Jaycee38 (3 reviews written)

Broke down at 18:00 on M6 right next to Birmingham on a stretch of road with no hard shoulder. GEM promised driver would be with me within an hour. Truth of the matter is driver was with me in 2 and half hours ! Pick up sent from Milton Keynes and no I don't live anywhere near MK. Call center agreed that the service was poor and could not explain why they had sent someone from so far away but could do anything about it. Was promised a call from a manager that never materialized I couldn't… Read Full Review

Gem Motoring Assist's Response to Jaycee38's Review

Written on: 23/06/2014

If this anonymous complainant lets us have details we will certainly do our best to rectify any error.

Jaycee38's reply to Gem Motoring Assist's Comment

Written on: 25/06/2014

This is a genuine experience and I did not post this anonymously and would be happy to speak with Mr Williams not sure how I could contact him though !

Gem Motoring Assist's reply to Jaycee38's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2014

Thank you for your response.

You can call the main office number (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm).

David Williams will be available on 2nd and 3rd July.
Alternatively you can call our main office (number as above) to speak to our Claims Manager who will happily assist.

The GEM team

“Excellent Experience”

Written on: 15/06/2014

We would like to share our experience after breaking down and how amazing the whole experience was from the initial conversation to bring picked up by the recovery truck. The guys picking us up were amazing and very professional making our whole experience stress free… Read Full Review

“Couldn't be better!”

Written on: 13/05/2014 by Peyton412 (1 review written)

Had to use the GEM breakdown service for the first time last bank holiday Monday when my car refused to start after I'd popped into a shop for five minutes. I didn't have my policy details with me and had very little charge on my mobile so was very relieved when the person at GEM who took my call found my details really quickly and was very efficient. The recovery truck was with me within 45 minutes as promised and took me and my car home as it wasn't immediately obvious what was wrong with… Read Full Review

“worst service....do not buy it....”

Written on: 14/04/2014 by Destineee450 (1 review written)

Call the recovery at 8.30pm and it is now 1am in the morning and do not have a recovery. We are all tired and fed up. I am waiting with my wife and three kids. They have been giving all kind of excuses but I will never ever use them again....worst recovery service of UK....WILL NEVER RECOMEND… Read Full Review

Written on: 15/04/2014

“Very impressive service”

Written on: 18/02/2014

The Gem mechanic arrived slightly before the arranged time, which gave us a very good first impression. My Toyota Prius, being a hybrid car, is not the easiest car to deal with, but the mechanic obviously knew immediately how to correct the problem I had had with the battery and the Prius key. He was polite, cheerful and confident,and soon had my car back on the road. TH=hankyou very much for such an excellent service… Read Full Review

“Always excellent service.”

Written on: 04/12/2013 by Nowtotallyannoyed (1 review written)

As a member for very many years, I have used the service only 5 times. The major part of my exhaust fell off whilst I was 60 miles from home. I arranged transport back home myself, and GEM met the bill very quickly. A flat battery at Heathrow was dealt with within the hour. Whilst at home a leak on the steering hydraulics drained all the fluid. The vehicle was transported to my garage by appointment; a lock-out of the car by leaving the keys inside, whilst in a very remote part of… Read Full Review

“flat battery”

Written on: 16/11/2013

Breakdown vehicle at the scene within 40 minutes and operator got me going within a few minutes. Paid by credit card, receipt posted to gem claims and email received within 24 hrs of posting the receipt 2nd class to say repayment would be in the bank within 48hrs Ten out of ten for GEM and the postal system… Read Full Review

“Wonderful, caring assistance for me and disabled passenger”

Written on: 26/08/2013

Our car broke down on way to holiday. We were quickly picked up and taken on to our holiday destination. At the end of our holiday, GEM returned, collected myself and my vehicle together with all my wife's disability equipment and our luggage, returning us and our belongings to our home in a smooth, friendly and stress-free way. Can't praise them too highly!… Read Full Review

“Do not use”

Written on: 11/08/2013

Cheap price but. As others have said very slow to send recovery agent (Parker fry ) the recovery driver didnt know what he was doing and most of the time he was on the phone so if you breakdown don't use Parker fry or gem . I will go back to the rac… Read Full Review

“Great Service but now no loyalty to established...”

Written on: 01/08/2013 by ginettag17 (1 review written)

I was a member of GEM for 4 years and had great service during the 1 breakdown during that time. The people are friendly and there is even an interesting Magazine. However, as an existing menmber of 4 years standing I have just been quoted £115 for renewal [up 20% from last year ]. Looking on the website the price is £96 for new customers. Sadly GEM have gone the way of the RAC and AA and are now relying on taking advantage of the 'inertia' of their existing customers. I'm saddened by this… Read Full Review

Gem Motoring Assist's Response to ginettag17's Review

Written on: 02/08/2013

Sadly all of our competitors use introductory offers to gain new business. Regrettably GEM has to follow this trend. We have a market leading retention rate of members at an amazing 80% but in order to keep our prices and services at a competitive level we do need to encourage new members to give us a try replace those we lose.
We feel that we do reward loyalty by maintaining our prices and the level of service at such a competitive level, but to do this we have to ensure that our numbers are at least maintained. Unlike all of our competitors GEM remains an independent membership association with no external backers. We therefore have to match our prices, offers and service levels very carefully indeed. Being voted No 1 Breakdown organisation in the 2013 Driver Power Survey would suggest we have the mix about right .

David Williams MBE Chief Executive.