GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover Reviews

• Customer service

GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover

GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover

“noone in the M5 area near Strensham Services”

Written on: 10/05/2015 by cazofcardiff (1 review written)

ok my fault I ran out of petrol in my classic 2 miles from Strensham just nr roundabout to go on M5 lone female stupid me - was told someone would be out quickly to bring me enough to get to services 7am in the morning - was offered helped my passing hgv but as told would be out quickly rejected help - then had phone call over 40 mins later to say no one could come out for 1.5 hours - was rescued by 2 gentleman who towed me to strensham just up the road - I cancelled recovery thereafter - would… Read Full Review

Gem Motoring Assist's Response to cazofcardiff's Review

Written on: 12/05/2015

I was sorry and disappointed to read that the service provided to your breakdown was below our usual standard.

If this complainant lets us have their details we will certainly do our best to investigate this further.

Cazofcardiff's reply to Gem Motoring Assist's Comment

Written on: 12/05/2015

I have forwarded my review and your response to the GEM website with my details and hope that no other motorist has to encounter the service I had on Sunday fortunately I was in my classic mini and was rescued by classic mini enthusiasts travelliing to the same mini show at Himley Hall who were in a Landie - a big thank you to my new friends and heroes :) All in all despite my hiccup with running out of petrol which was my fault for not quite making it to Strensham services thought I had enough fuel to get there - I had a great day. I can see that Gem are now tailoring some classic car policy and I hope they will take into consideration that petrol gauges on classics can be a bit ah hem :)

“Great customer service out there”

Written on: 07/05/2015 by MrKe (1 review written)

People are always quick to complain, and less so to praise when a job is well done. My wife had an accident last year and i had just come on board with Gem. Although the accident was not her fault her insurance company was hapless at best and it looked like we wouldn’t get a courtesy car and would have been a 50-50 claim. Our stress levels went through the roof. I contacted Gem, they got us a courtesy car, the other driver admitted liability and it was hassle free. Gem also acted very… Read Full Review

“GEM Motoring assist breakdown cover.”

Written on: 06/05/2015

I have been with GEM for about 5/6 years now.We all hope not to use recovery or break down if we can help it.!But life and motoring is not allways what we like it to be,However having called on GEM. for help and assistance,on the odd occasion e.g. Motorcycle home start,and my recent car breakdown,and tow away service,I have been more than pleased with the way I was dealt with, with keeping me up to date when help would arrive, it was very professional,and reassuring Thanks to all concerned… Read Full Review

“Cheaper, and better than the competition.”

Written on: 16/04/2015 by Nytol (1 review written)

I joined GEM about a year ago, having to renew is what prompted me to write this. I'd been with the RAC for years, purely because they kept taking money off my card and I kept forgetting to cancel, which I hated. None of this with GEM. I had reason to call them out last year, I got through right away, an estimated time was given to me, which was beaten by some margin, faster than any road side assist service I've used in the past. The guy who showed up, (forget his name, but originally from… Read Full Review

“Fast, efficient and friendly”

Written on: 03/04/2015 by Lindsey464 (1 review written)

I was originally dubious about this breakdown cover, it was significantly cheaper than the AA cover I had previously. However, after needing to call them out 3 times in one year I can honestly say I have been very happy with the service. You get almost instantly through to someone to take your information, all of the people have been helpful and friendly. Each time the recovery vehicle has arrived within the estimated time. The longest I have had to wait was an hour (which isn't necessarily… Read Full Review

“Poor customer service and communications”

Written on: 28/03/2015

I've called for help twice during my year with Gem. On both occasions the call centre staff took ages to find my details. The second time the woman I was speaking to talked far too much (explaining what the breakdown driver would do, as if I didn't know what service I'd signed up to!)which wasted valuable time and wound me up...as if having broken down wasn't stressful enough. One of the occasions was a flat battery at home. The driver jump started the car no problem, and told me to let it run… Read Full Review

“Don`t bother will be returning to the RAC”

Written on: 22/03/2015 by 2Carroll (1 review written)

We have the highest cover from GEM. The wife had reason to phone regarding a battery light that had come on at home. Guess what because the car was running you are not covered so she was advised to drive to the nearest garage, wife then broke down on a main roundabout when car completely died. Phoned GEM to then state the obvious that car was now properly knackered and was now stuck on a busy roundabout all which could have been avoided by a home start visit.We thought when we joined the cover… Read Full Review

Written on: 24/03/2015

If this anonymous complainant lets us have details we will certainly do our best to investigate this further.

“Motoring assist cover”

Written on: 06/03/2015 by Tyrelly72 (1 review written)

Excellent service from all concerned; call centre, recovery company and settlement of claim… Read Full Review

“Been a loyal customer, not anymore”

Written on: 19/02/2015 by ReidBallard165 (1 review written)

I have family cover and twice in the last 4 months we have had to call them out. The first time they couldn't find my membership number. Eventually got that sorted, confirmed my location, said they would send someone out but they were very busy. Would send a text to confirm eta and also ring 10 mins before the recovery chap would arrive. Never received the call or text and when the chap arrived 2 hours later said he had been sent to the wrong location. Second time we again were promised text… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/02/2015

“AWFUL SERVICE.”

Written on: 31/01/2015

I am extremely livid after a phone call with one of their assistants. My car had been flat for over 3 months and after explaining the issue the assistant thought she could tell me what I should have done. 'Well maybe you should have sorted it out there and then when it broke down.' Well excuse me since when did you know the circumstances of my life ?? She was extremely rude and handle my situation poorly. They are obviously not trained to speak to customers properly. I do not expect to be… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/02/2015

I was sorry and disappointed to read your review. If this anonymous complainant lets us have details we will certainly do our best to look further into the issues raised.

Askey.ag's Comment

Written on: 18/02/2015

Unfortunately you cannot help some people !!!
I have always had a great service from Gem and found the staff to be very helpful and polite.
Perhaps this person shouldn't be allowed to drive let allowed take out break down cover !!!1

SAD

Smudje's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2015

Three whole months!?!?! Are you for real??

“sent recovery to wrong country never mind wrong road”

Written on: 27/01/2015

Call to request recovery. Gave clear directions and road names re breakdown. waited two hours in snow storm with a child in car. They never came. I phoned back to tell them recovery no show. Asked them where truck was coming from and they said Pontypool. Had to tell them again area I in was in Scotland. Picked up nearly 4 hours later. Had to call friend to come get nephew as had no power,hence no heating and were on main drag off motorway.They phoned me following complaint and suggested staff… Read Full Review

“Was a Member, NOT ANYMORE”

Written on: 09/12/2014 by westie1005 (1 review written)

I had cause to make a claim for re-imbursement for a roadside call out, it was for my daughter,s car, the car had a flat battery and was duly sorted out, but because I wrote on claim form that my daughter would have driven (if the car had no fault) my claim was dismissed, I stated that the category on the form is misleading (who was driving at time of breakdown) No-one was driving at this point as the car wouldnt start !!!!!!! I WAS THE LAST PERSON IN THE DRIVING SEAT AND IF IT HAD OF STARTED I… Read Full Review

Gem Motoring Assist's Response to westie1005's Review

Written on: 11/12/2014

We are extremely sorry that he failed to understand the terms & conditions of his policy. Since GEM Breakdown cover was introduced nearly 40 years ago it has only ever provided assistance for members driving any car or when as a passenger in a car they own. These conditions are clearly shown on our website and in the written terms & conditions which every member receives.

Our cover has never extended to allow passengers in any other cars to claim assistance following a breakdown . Such provision would clearly significantly alter the scope of the scheme and would require us to substantially increase our premiums to allow for the undoubted increase in claims. In this particular case it was Mr Barnes daughter that broke down and unfortunately she is not a member of GEM. For obvious reasons our claim form requests details to check validity of the claim.

We have acted entirely correctly in this matter and have re- emphasised the extent of the cover that he has with us.

Chief Executive

“Four and a half hour wait ”

Written on: 12/11/2014 by dmShepherd242 (1 review written)

Was recommended by a friend to join Gem but will not be renewing . I could have dismantled the car and carried it home quicker ! How they have won best breakdown service on at least 4 occasions is beyond me ! How can you take 41/2 hours to respond to a breakdown ??? Was told the recovery vehicle broke down and local operator systems crashed but frankly a joke ! I had to call Gem twice and the local operator as well to find out what was going on ! I will be seeking compensation ! Luckily I'm not… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/11/2014

As one of the few remaining independent motoring clubs GEM strives to provide a first class service to all members. Very occasionally things do go wrong and if they do we investigate thoroughly and take appropriate action.

Please let us have your details and we will certainly do our best to rectify any error.

Chief Executive

“three and half hour wait”

Written on: 11/11/2014 by waddi88 (1 review written)

broke down on 9 11 14 at 1 00pm promised assistance inside two hours,assistance finally arrived at 4.30 pm.I was aprox half a mile from Bury town center thank god I wasnt in the country.An offer of £30 has been made but I think I would prefer the a speedier service. Needless to say I will be changing to another breakdown service … Read Full Review

“GEM motor assist ”

Written on: 20/10/2014 by seb123456789 (1 review written)

My experience of using GEM is that it is an exceptional service. The response to my breakdown was prompt and reclaiming the costs was simple and fast. This represents good value for money… Read Full Review

“CAME TO OUR RESCUE AND ALL INVOLVED WERE VERY HELPFUL”

Written on: 30/08/2014 by CherishTobin (1 review written)

We broke down on a Sunday afternoon in Windsor Great Park when our power steering failed following a journey from Somerset. Recovery vehicle with a very helpful driver took us back to our garage to leave the van and onwards to our home, long journey down the M4. We were impressed by the efficiency of GEM and the successful outcome. They even offered to collect the car from home the following morning to take it to the garage if needed. Well done GEM!… Read Full Review

“Daughter lef waiting for three hours”

Written on: 15/08/2014 by Pete_C (1 review written)

In the past I have been very pleased, with service from Gem Assist, but sadly all that changed. My daughter who is named on my policy, needed recovery, she called just before 9pm, to be told it will be about an hour, but will text her with breakdown operator info, an hour passes with no contact so she phones again, there is no record of her previous call, as there was a shift change at 9pm. 10pm calls again, more promises of texting details and an estimate of 1 hour wait. 11pm still nothing… Read Full Review

“Like standing at the side of a busy motorway for hours ?”

Written on: 17/06/2014 by Jaycee38 (3 reviews written)

Broke down at 18:00 on M6 right next to Birmingham on a stretch of road with no hard shoulder. GEM promised driver would be with me within an hour. Truth of the matter is driver was with me in 2 and half hours ! Pick up sent from Milton Keynes and no I don't live anywhere near MK. Call center agreed that the service was poor and could not explain why they had sent someone from so far away but could do anything about it. Was promised a call from a manager that never materialized I couldn't… Read Full Review

Gem Motoring Assist's Response to Jaycee38's Review

Written on: 23/06/2014

If this anonymous complainant lets us have details we will certainly do our best to rectify any error.

Jaycee38's reply to Gem Motoring Assist's Comment

Written on: 25/06/2014

This is a genuine experience and I did not post this anonymously and would be happy to speak with Mr Williams not sure how I could contact him though !

Gem Motoring Assist's reply to Jaycee38's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2014

Thank you for your response.

You can call the main office number (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm).

David Williams will be available on 2nd and 3rd July.
Alternatively you can call our main office (number as above) to speak to our Claims Manager who will happily assist.

The GEM team

“Excellent Experience”

Written on: 15/06/2014

We would like to share our experience after breaking down and how amazing the whole experience was from the initial conversation to bring picked up by the recovery truck. The guys picking us up were amazing and very professional making our whole experience stress free… Read Full Review

“Couldn't be better!”

Written on: 13/05/2014 by Peyton412 (1 review written)

Had to use the GEM breakdown service for the first time last bank holiday Monday when my car refused to start after I'd popped into a shop for five minutes. I didn't have my policy details with me and had very little charge on my mobile so was very relieved when the person at GEM who took my call found my details really quickly and was very efficient. The recovery truck was with me within 45 minutes as promised and took me and my car home as it wasn't immediately obvious what was wrong with… Read Full Review