British Shorthair Reviews

British Shorthair - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for British Shorthair

British Shorthair
British Shorthair

“Got a British shorthair for myself from a Licensed...”

Written on: 04/03/2011 by lycheelover (2 reviews written)

Got a British shorthair for myself from a Licensed breeder about a year ago. This type of cat is adorable, regarless of the color (tiger, smoke, black). I couldn't find a kitten like in the Whiskas commercial , so I settled for a darker tone, same tiger-like pattern and named him Markus.

Markus was very intelligent, but quiet at the same time. He meows if he absolutely must, otherwise he'll just communicate with you non-verbally. He doesn't like to be held, he will just sit in your lap or next… Read Full Review

Britishbluelover's Response to lycheelover's Review

Written on: 16/11/2013

Oh yah...I got mine from the pound. This is my second Britty. Mine however has a talent of being able to growl and purr at the same time. Interesting how this cat was "surrendered" to the pound and "traded in" for a kitten. His crime?... the former owners got a new kitten and the Britty and new cat did not get along. So, the Britty got kicked to the curb. He was only a few hours away from being executed for nothing more than being a typical British Blue. I adopted 'Wellington' (this is his new name...he had to have a proper British name) knowing that he disliked being held, and growled when picked up. So please folks be sure that you can deal with their cattitude before adopting. I hope this posting will keep one more Britty from being sent to the pound. I would never give him up. My first Britty is going on 19 and she doesn't like being held either, but, she is not crabby like Wellsie is. If she wants to be held, it is on her terms, and she will lay in my lap. They all have their own personalities, and each is an individual. This will continue to be my favorite breed, and I will continue to have them for years to come.

“I've had four British Shorthairs. First was Alamanda...”

Written on: 25/04/2009

I've had four British Shorthairs. First was Alamanda (Mandy) and her nephew Indigo and Ice (Bunny). Sadly they are both no longer with us. At the moment I have two brothers Simba and Bagheera. Two British shorthair's is better than one!! They are excellent company and very well mannered. Easy to train to stay off kitchen benches and are polite around food. They are playful but gentle. I wouldn't have any other cat - totally hooked!… Read Full Review

Britishbluelover's Comment

Written on: 16/11/2013

I totally forgot about their tendency to get fat. haha. My Wellington has really let himself go! He also has stolen food off my plate more than once. My older Britty (she is 19) has had teeth issues and ear problems once in a while. They are bred to have a long lifespan though.

“We are proud to own our 4th British Shorthair now and...”

Written on: 16/09/2005 by Margit (1 review written)

We are proud to own our 4th British Shorthair now and they have all been British Blues with the exception of one Blue/Cream. They have all been fantastic cats, very laid back, very patient with us, each other and the children.

Also they are real characters with quirky habits like sleeping on smelly sports things or in the washing on the line (using the sheets as a hammock).

I can really recommend them, their plush fur and amber eyes makes them look very cuddly and stunning at the same time… Read Full Review

“I think British Shorthairs are friendly and...”

Written on: 13/08/2005 by A1ex n J3dd m8z 4eva (5 reviews written)

I think British Shorthairs are friendly and affectionate also cuddly. But they can be a bit grumpy.I am not an expert on cats, I'm more of a dog person but I do love cats. My cat is older than me. She's black and white, with a smooth coat and a cobby body, so I think shes a British Shorthair or she might be a cross… Read Full Review

“I adopted my Liliac Colourpoint British Shorthair Cat...”

Written on: 20/03/2005 by Tortvilla (1 review written)

I adopted my Liliac Colourpoint British Shorthair Cat about two years ago. He is an ex stud cat. He is now five years old.
He is the most loyal cat I have ever had. He is very responsive ie, when you call him he comes bounding over. He shares his home with a child who is now five and he adores her. He has shown amazing patience with her and has never scratched, bitten or hissed at anyone.
He is great in the car, visits to the vets are not a problem as he enjoys the ride.
He tends to be quite… Read Full Review