Benjamin EB22 Reviews

Benjamin EB22 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Benjamin EB22

Benjamin EB22
Benjamin EB22

“About the only thing I regret with buying the EB22 is...”

Written on: 26/04/2011

About the only thing I regret with buying the EB22 is not having waited to find somewhere here in Argentina where I could get the HB22 instead - just for the sake of the extra power - but apart from that I am MOST impressed with this pistol and would not hesitate to use it for small game at short range. I don't have the kit to chrono anything out of this pistol but I have done some basic testing - and in terms of penetration/deforming of the pellet on impact (both things you want in hunting any… Read Full Review

“The Benjamin EB22 is amazingly powerfull. ive hott...”

Written on: 13/05/2009

The Benjamin EB22 is amazingly powerfull. ive hott rod'd the thing and am pushing over 478 fps with rws hobby pellets (11.3 grains) and hot roding this pistol isnt a chore either. re finishing, lapping and spring replacing only took me an hour. i never thought i would find a pistol that could outshoot my webley tempest, i was wrong. i can hit pine cones every shot out to 25 yards. i know its not an FT pistol but in the local competitions this gun would put me at the top of the class… Read Full Review

“I was originaly gonna go with the Benny 7 pump 22...”

Written on: 25/10/2008 by airgundude (1 review written)

I was originaly gonna go with the Benny 7 pump 22 pistol but when i saw the EB20 i just knew that would make me a happy shooter. I was right. Dont like pumping every shot any more. Well i guess i never did. I bitched about the price ($118.00 with tax).I guess for the money that wasnt bad they had some models there that were alot less gun for about the same money. Plus it felt great in my pretty bigger than average hands.The same day i bought my EB20 i popped a tree rat in the chest ending his… Read Full Review

“For what i paid and for what i recieved i really cant...”

Written on: 18/09/2008 by Slogger (1 review written)

For what i paid and for what i recieved i really cant complain , this gun is very well put together , I have taken out an abundant rat population with ease at night ( red light ) at 5 meters . Its a noisy pistol but that due to the power available ? is there a way to turn it down to 1/2 of what is available

Excellent value for money and with a real gun feel ,it reminds me of my .22 rimfire bullnose ruger and is just as accurate

My version is the eb22… Read Full Review

Boris's Response to Slogger's Review

Written on: 08/10/2008

A crosman stock will fit - it just requires two new holes

“Best .22 C02 air pistol available. Weight and handling...”

Written on: 28/08/2008

Best .22 C02 air pistol available. Weight and handling characteristics are similar to a real .22. Unexpectedly good power for a CO2. Excellent out-of-the-box accuracy at 25 yards. Fairly quiet, no louder than a child's cap gun… Read Full Review

“The Benjamin EB22 is my first CO2 after many spring...”

Written on: 14/08/2008

The Benjamin EB22 is my first CO2 after many spring and pump-up guns. The power and accuracy are beyond expectation or claim. The box says 425 fps for 20 cal and I get close to 6 ft-lbs at 430 fps with a 14.4 grain 22 pellet. With a scope (2x and I wish I had 4x for this gun) and a good rest, a 1 inch group at 20 yards is achievable. The pop is loud as would be expected for this energy out of such a short barrel due to the relatively (to a springer) constant pressure of a gas or pcp gun… Read Full Review

“The good points I like about this pistol is the sheer...”

Written on: 05/06/2008 by Timelord1 (2 reviews written)

The good points I like about this pistol is the sheer power and accuracy. I use it for short to medium range hunting and of coarse targets too. Most things have been covered by other people here so I'll keep it short I've had great results shooting rats and squirrels it's also very useful on a hunt to dispatch vermin that is still alive if someone does not do a clean kill, (very rarely though).
I've found a good website to get parts from like a silencer adapter a nice walnut grip (one piece) a… Read Full Review

Pellhead's Response to Timelord1's Review

Written on: 04/09/2008

So how do I find this web site, url, keyword, or the like?

Boris's Response to Timelord1's Review

Custom Parts and Spares in North Wales offer good choice and fast service

“I bought the pistol. One day later the bolt was...”

Written on: 02/05/2008 by Frank1000 (1 review written)

I bought the pistol. One day later the bolt was broken. I call Crossman they told me to send it to a mandatory in Quebec. I sent the pistol and they return me a pistol that few days after lost CO2 by the canon. I sent the pistol again. They return me a pistol with the mounting windage screw was not centered on the canon. I give up. Forget me Sheridan. They should call this model a Shitridan pistol. Yesterday I have seen another Shitridan I look carefully and it was a lemon, just looking at… Read Full Review

Boris's Response to Frank1000's Review

Written on: 08/10/2008

Try "Crosman" next time it is a different company. Perhaps they could not understand your complaint - would it have ben easier to go to the dealer you bought it from ?

“I have had this pistol for about 4 years now.it has...”

Written on: 12/01/2008 by mopedman (1 review written)

I have had this pistol for about 4 years now.it has given me a lot of fun and sport.
got a small deer with a headshot at about 25yrds.i doubt many other pistols on the market could possible do that… Read Full Review

Sslash28's Response to 337381_mopedman's Review

Written on: 05/10/2008

might I ask where to look for the add ons for this pistol?

Herman13's Response to 337381_mopedman's Review

Written on: 22/11/2008

I disagree with this review because... It is impossible to kill a deer at 25 yards with the EB22. There just isn't enough projectile energy left to do the job, not to mention that attempting to hunt deer with such a weak gun is stupid and cruel.

Herman13's Response to 337381_mopedman's Review

Written on: 22/11/2008

<br/>A small deer at 25 yards...? with an EB22??? wow... should I even continue or is it self-explanatory? The FPE of the EBE22 at the muzzle is hardly enough to penetrate the skull of such a large mammal point blank, never mind at 25 yards. Look up some ballistic tables and see what`s left of your initial velocity / fpe at 25 yards, but more importantly who in their right mind would even attempt to hunt deer with a CO2 pistol? You should seriously check the web and see the minimum FPE on target recommendations for field hunting, or you'll end up just injuring the poor animals at best, not to mention looking like a fool.

Andyfr1968's Response to 337381_mopedman's Review

Written on: 19/11/2008

You shot at a dear with an air pistol? What are you on?!?!

“One good point is that I paid $90.00 for this gun....”

Written on: 23/11/2007 by Tonycsr (1 review written)

One good point is that I paid $90.00 for this gun. Most other stores were $107.00 to $120.00. This helps swallow some of the crudeness.
A price of 40 to $50.00 is more in line with the quality of this piece.

Now after all this negativity... I like this gun. It's powerful, shoots better than I do… Read Full Review

“Let me first just say that I am remaining objective in...”

Written on: 11/10/2007 by kicknotes (10 reviews written)

Let me first just say that I am remaining objective in this review -- this is not a rant. That said, I just can't see how some of these Crosman and Benjamin/Sheridan guns get such high reviews. My guess is that either some of these "rave reviews" are coming from Crosman themselves (marketing type folks) or people who have nothing else to compare their purchase to.

When looking for a .22, I opted for the B/S 392, per the great reviews. It ended up being (for all intent purposes), junk. Too much… Read Full Review

Notary's Response to kicknotes's Review

Written on: 26/06/2008

I found this review helpful because...I was thinking of buying an EB22 but now will not. Thanks, the review confirmed my suspicions that the American "air" gun industry has not really yet understood what UK shooters want in a gun. The prospect of the bolt flying out and hitting you in the eye or elsewhere is enough to put me off anyway even without further comment.

“I stand corrected. ”

Written on: 22/03/2007 by Cognition (90 reviews written)

I stand corrected.

After taking this pistol out with me on two or three shooting trips, I take everything I said in the other review of this pistol back. The EB22 is pin-point accurate (within reason) and is ultra powerful for a pistol. I shot an apple clean in two from 20 feet with no problem what so ever. The CO2 also lasts for longer than the manual tells you, too - even taking into account that I'm using this pistol in the winter. I've been using this pistol in single figure temperatures… Read Full Review

“Although I've only had this gun for about 30 minutes...”

Written on: 08/03/2007 by Cognition (90 reviews written)

Although I've only had this gun for about 30 minutes now, I think it's worth writing a short review about it.

First of all, I would like to start this review by saying that I did my research before buying this gun from Airshooter. This is my first CO2 pistol, so I didn't want to get it wrong. I'd spent a lot of my time reading reviews such as these on all different kinds of airguns, from under lever rifles to specialist target pistols, and after swimming through this sea of information, I… Read Full Review

Boris's Response to Cognition's Review

Written on: 29/03/2007

My EB22 will not "take down small deer". As no one has mentioned this mine must be faulty and I will have to return it to Crosman.
<br/>
<br/>Where does Cogniton go for his shooting trips. Is it drive by shooting in the local deer park, and where does he purchase "rifled 22 pellets". I think we need more info.

Boris's Response to Cognition's Review

Written on: 08/10/2008

Of course you can take down small deer with an EB 22/20 or even an EB 17 - hit them over the head with the pistol and stick out your leg as they run away - down they go !

Cognition's Response to Cognition's Review

Written on: 30/03/2007

Urrr, I don&#039;t use mine as much as most people - and I don&#039;t hunt with it. I&#039;m not saying that it&#039;s not good for hunting, I&#039;m just saying that I wouldn&#039;t know.
<br/>
<br/>I take mine out down to a little place I know out in the country. No, it&#039;s not private land - but it&#039;s quiet enough for nobody to care. You get the odd dog walker or two, but they generally don&#039;t care.
<br/>
<br/>As for where I buy all of my stuff from, go to www.uttings.com for all of your airgun supplies.
<br/>
<br/>If you have anymore questions just ask.

“I should begin by saying that I have very little...”

Written on: 27/10/2006 by Glider (2 reviews written)

I should begin by saying that I have very little experience of air/CO2 weapons. With five years in the Royal Artillery, my main experience is with military small-arms (I was a marksman with my old 7.62 SLR) and bigger guns. However, these are my impressions of the Benjamin EB22:

The first thing I noticed from the box was the heft and build quality. I had read as many reviews of different pistols as I could during research prior to buying the EB22, and reviews concerning the EB22 were… Read Full Review

Grandelfe's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 05/12/2006

I have a squirrel problem also. How does it do against them?

Astroman's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 02/05/2008

I have had my EB22 for 4 Months now & have tested it through chrono when cold & warm with 5 different pellets. Here is the results. With Baracuda Match 21.14 grain in cold average velocity was 322 fps, 4.86 ft Ibs. When warm the average was 5.55 ft Ibs, the highest was 350 fps at 5.75 ft Ibs. Next is Logun penetrators at 20.5 grain. In cold the average is 5.12 ft Ibs , when warm the average is 5.85 ft Ibs & the highest was 360 fps, 5.9 ft Ibs! Ok the next 2 pellets are Air arms 16 grain & Logun 16 grain, these results are similar so we will go with the Air arms, in cold the average is 4.77 ft Ibs, in warm 5.5 ft Ibs & the highest was 397 fps at 5.6 ft Ibs & that leaves the Dynamic tin pellets at 12.85 grain. When cold 395 fps- 4.45 ft Ibs, warm at 420 fps- 5.03 ft Ibs. For my gun the Logun 20.5 pellets seem to take the EB22 to its limits in power Legally.

Written on: 04/12/2007

Again, it really depends what you want to use it for. If you are keen on target shooting, then a scope with a bit of magnification and a standard reticle is probably the way to go.
<br/>
<br/>However, if you were going for vermin, given the effective range of the pistol, a reasonable red-dot sight (no magnification) is the way to go. With with a pistol against vermin, if you have to magnify your target , you're too far away.
<br/>
<br/>Hawke do a few nice re-dot sights for pistols at reasonable prices.

Khuramb's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 03/12/2007

what scope would you recommend for this gun? my budget is 35 pound max

Written on: 22/05/2007

Tuning valves, heavier/polished hammer blocks and stronger springs are simply a matter of basic physics. Any competent custom airgun shop can advise you on these matters. Bear in mind that small changes can make a big difference and in the UK we have to be careful not to exceed 6ftlb muzzle energy.
<br/>
<br/>As for 5mm groups at 30 metres, I don't believe that's even possible with a pistol (not least because 5mm is smaller than the diameter of a single .22 pellet), and I don't believe I even implied that it was. Please don't strawman me.
<br/>
<br/>I gave my honest views on what, in my opinion, is a very good Co2 pistol. You are entirely free to disagree with any of it, but if you wish to do so here, please present a case. rather than a strawman argument.

Boris's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 21/05/2007

Whenever a reviewer tells you about tuning- valves, hammers, springs etc, and about their accuracy (5mm groups at 30 metres) alarm bells ring !
<br/>Any question is met by silence. Do most of these airgunners live in a fantasy world ? Hopefully there are some real technicians out there. Perhaps we can hear from them ?

Cognition's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 11/05/2007

Good review. You can't go wrong with the EB22.

Boris's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 12/04/2007

Could Glider give the name of his source of heavier hammer springs and polished hammer blocks please ?

Written on: 14/12/2006

You&#039;re welcome. As for the HB22, that&#039;s what I would have gone for, but you can&#039;t get them in the UK (muzzle energy is too high at 8 pumps).
<br/>
<br/>I&#039;m getting a 2240 too, just as an alternative to play with. It should arrive this weekend. Those damn squirrels are sure in trouble now! (I found more teeth marks on one of my bonsai).
<br/>
<br/>We have a catch 22 in the UK. An air (or gas) pistol that exceeds 6ftlb is considered a class 1 firearm, for which you need a firearms certificate (FAC). However, handguns are banned in this country, so as far as I can work out, the minute an air pistol becomes a class 1 firearm, it becomes illegal with or without a FAC. I&#039;d have to check on the details, but it all seems very weird to me.
<br/>
<br/>Still, it&#039;s not an issue for me as both the EB22 and the 2240 will take a squirrel cleanly at the length of my (very short) garden, without modifications to increase power.
<br/>
<br/>Good luck with your HB22. Have fun!

Novan3's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 13/12/2006

Indeed you helped much in my decision process Glider. Thanks!
<br/>
<br/>Yes I&#039;m aware of the customizablity (is that even a word?) and am planning to purchase one also, I also have a 2289, which is like a 2240, except pump actuated.
<br/>
<br/>See I live in Canada, where freedom is way overrated, and here, like in the U.K., our law prohibits an airgun exceeding 500 f.p.s lest I own a PAL (Posession and Aquisition License) which I&#039;m also planning to obtain soon.
<br/>
<br/>So....if anyone cares to know, I&#039;m ultimately going to buy the HB22, the pump pistol. Maybe I&#039;ll save a few not having to purchase CO2, that way I could take my girl out for the weekend and still have time to send that pesky squirrel to an early grave.
<br/>
<br/>Once again, thanks for the input and hope to communicate with you again soon. Cheers!

Written on: 13/12/2006

I know what you mean. The reported muzzle velocities very hugely between the manufacturer and other suppliers.
<br/>
<br/>The manufacturers want to sell the pistol and will try for the maximum velocity to make it look good. To do this, they will use lightweight pellets to increase the velocity. The EB17 is reported reliably at 500fps. The EB22 is more often reported at around 460fps (it uses a heavier pellet). The trade off is with muzzle energy (the EB22 has a higher muzzle energy than the EB17).
<br/>
<br/>Personally, I don&#039;t have the kit to check velocity, but the supplier I have been talking to who has been testing the EB22 report a number of velocity/energies according to pellet weight. Basically, it boils down to what you want to use the pistol for. They say the EB22 can achieve velocities of around 500fps with lightweight pellets (still heavier than .177), but that&#039;s no good if you want it for vermin control. Muzzle velocities of around 440 - 460fps are common with medium weight pellets (which also gives tighter grouping) and are more useful against vermin as the muzzle energy goes up to a around 5ftlb. With still heavier pellets they can raise muzzle energy to nearly 6ftlb but the muzzle velocity drops (although it&#039;s still too fast for a squirrel to duck within about 10 metres).
<br/>
<br/>The EB22 is tunable to a degree. You can get heavier and polished hammer blocks and heavier main springs which will raise the power (and thus the muzzle velocity). There are a number of other tweaks that can can be done to increase power, but the EB22 is nowhere near as customizable as say, the Crosman 2240.
<br/>
<br/>In my opinion, the Crosman 2240 is a bit cheap and nasty from the box, although still a good pistol. It uses essentially the same &#039;guts&#039; as the EB22 (the EB22 was the inspiration for the 2240). However, if you want to pay, the 2240 is about the most customisable CO2 pistol you can get. You can get longer barrels (increase power & accuracy), milled aluminium or steel breech blocks that are tuned (more power), longer bolt probes that push the pellet further into the barrel making for more efficient gas flow (more power) and nice custom made wooden grips (comfort and, believe it or not, more accuracy. A grip that &#039;fills the hand&#039; is steadier in the hand). You can also get heavier hammer blocks and mainsprings and ported and gas-flowed valve systems as with the EB22. It is comparitively easy to get the 2240 well over 6ftlbs muzzle energy, but that&#039;s illegal in the UK (at 6ftlbs it becomes a class 1 firearm then and you need a firearms certificate).
<br/>
<br/>Ultimately, you can make a 2240 into a better pistol than the EB22, but it means buying a 2240 and then paying at least the same again for the parts to turn it into a different pistol. The EB22 is good from the box and IMO, compared to a 2240 from the box, it is a better pistol (except for the rear sight), but you can&#039;t change it so much.
<br/>
<br/>It comes down to what you want it for. I hope this helped.

Novan3's Response to Glider's Review

Written on: 11/12/2006

Hey there. I&#039;m contemplating on purchasing a EB22. I live in Canada and will be purchasing from a Canadian retailer (www.trail-marker.com). On their website, the velocity of the EB22 is listed @ 500 f.p.s. max. I&#039;ve also looked @ a few American suppliers and they say it&#039;s 400 f.p.s.
<br/>So i'm confused. Does the manufacturer tune it for different countries, or does the retailer dont know what they&#039;re talking about.
<br/>What would you peg the max velocity of your EB22 at?
<br/>Thanks!

Written on: 06/12/2006

Very well, using heavier pellets.
<br/>
<br/>I have been talking to an airgun supplier who has been testing the EB22 muzzle velocity and energy with different weight pellets. They say that according to Crosman, the EB22 delivers 6ft-lbs muzzle energy. However, using a comparatively lightweight pellet like the powapell (which one would intuitively go for with a pistol), the testers could only get around 4ft lbs. They tried heavier pellets and found that the muzzle energy went up. They then used a really heavy pellet (for a pistol), &#039;Piledrivers&#039; (30 grain) and found that the muzzle energy exceeded 6ft pounds.
<br/>
<br/>There was a tradeoff with velocity (of course), but not as much as you&#039;d expect. These findings suggest that the EB22 has energy to spare. Apparently, with lightweight pellets that accelerate quickly and leave the barrel fast, a lot of force is wasted in the CO2 equivalent of &#039;muzzle flash&#039;. However, with heavy pellets that accelerate more slowly, this previously wasted force is imparted to the pellet.
<br/>
<br/>This is important in humane vermin control as velocity does not necessarily mean energy. To humanely dispatch something as resilient as a squirrel, you need a pellet that will carry a lot of energy. High velocity .177 pellets might penetrate, but they won&#039;t necessarily carry the energy to stop a squirrel. On the other hand, .22 pellets are more likely to carry the energy (which is why .22 pellets are more commonly used for this purpose), but then most pistols lack the force to accelerate the heavier pellets to lethal velocities (which is why rifles are more commonly used for this purpose).
<br/>
<br/>The results of the testing done by the airgun suppliers (they suggest) makes the EB22, in combination with heavy pellets, an ideal tool for short-range vermin control, where previously they hadn&#039;t recommended using pistols for vermin control at all.
<br/>
<br/>For myself, I have been using BSA Interceptor pellets (14.8 grain hollow point) and I have found them to be extremely effective; accurate (one hole groups at 7m) and they carry a lot of energy. The airgun suppliers are sending me a handfull of 30 grain Piledirvers to test. It&#039;ll be interested to see the results.

“Having bought my EB22 only a matter of hours ago i am...”

Written on: 04/09/2006 by lewi103 (7 reviews written)

Having bought my EB22 only a matter of hours ago i am confident in such a short amount of time that this is the most capable air pistol i have fired.

It feels very sturdy and well built unlike even some of the more expensive options i have (ie 92fs)

Inserting co2 is easy as it just slides into a compartment below the muzzle and is locked in with a screw cap. Then all that needs doing is inserting a pellet. It has a simple bolt action to load the pellet into the breech after which only a short… Read Full Review

“I've had my EB22 for about a month now and have shot...”

Written on: 25/02/2005 by Ned Christy (1 review written)

I've had my EB22 for about a month now and have shot at least two tins of pellets through it. So far it has been 100% reliable and it's quite accurate, grouping within one and a half inches at 20 yards consistantly. On the average, it will get 35 shots per Powerlet before starting to lose power. In fact, the only complaint I have is with the front sight, a sloping ramp, which is hard to see except in bright sunlight. I highly recommend this gun to anyone who appreciates quality… Read Full Review

Tenmeters's Response to Ned Christy's Review

Written on: 30/06/2005

A 1.5 inch group at 20 yards is consider accurate? Wow, you are easy to please. Now I know why most American (compare to European) are inaccurate and built cheaply. If you question what I say, please look in World championships and the Olympics. How many shooters shots American airguns? Answer : zero. I wish Americans wake-up and demand more accuracy and better quality from american airgun manufacturers. If not, these manufacturers will keep pumping out lousy airguns. Why not, if the public doesn't demand more, why should we try harder to make better stuff.

Boris's Response to Ned Christy's Review

Written on: 12/04/2007

In most cases I would guess that this pistol is more accurate than the shooter. They are quick to rubbish results such as 2.5" at 20m but never SHOW their results.

Scottro's Response to Ned Christy's Review

Written on: 19/12/2005

Anyone confusing the Benjamin EB22 for a target grade pistol like a Tau or Feinwerkbau should wake up and stop over-enjoying the liberal drug laws some European countries offer.
<br>
<br>This pistol is a compact, powerful, well made, and reasonably priced plinking and hunting pistol. No one in their right mind is going to compete in the olympics with it. Likewise, no one in their right mind is going to keep a $1000 Feinwerkbau target pistol under the seat of their pickup truck.

Urbanservant's Response to Ned Christy's Review

Written on: 17/07/2005

I have recently ordered an EB22 via an Internet supplier. My expectations are high considering your reveiw, as well as my previous experience with the superior quality of Benjamin products.
<br>
<br> I appreciate fine craftmanship employing traditional materials like steel, brass, and fine hardwood, as opposed to manufacturer cost effective polymer injection molded knock offs, of what a traditional American air gun once was.
<br>
<br> I am hoping the impressive advertised velocity of 500fps (or close to it) in 22cal. holds true. As far as grouping at 1.5" @ 20 yards, that's probably as optimistic, as these 50 year old eyes would want to get anyway. I don't shoot from a benchrest, and can appreciate a more reasonable accuracy assesment from an average, as opposed to an expert perspective.
<br> <br>
<br> I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for a match grade pistol I will never use in competion. I'm sure there are many fine alternatives both American, and European, but me thinks we need to keep the comparison; apples for apples, not apples for oranges.
<br>
<br> I guess it could be prestigous to own the best, of the best. But then if you are defined by what you own, rather than the condition of your heart, owning the finest of the finest will never be enough.
<br>
<br> For the most part I find airgunning a relaxing, cheap, alternative in a close quartered urban envirionment to keep my marksmanship with firearm (or paintball gun) skills relatively sharp, in an enjoyable format.
<br>
<br> I should receive the EB22 within a week, and will most assuredly submit an honest reveiw with unpredjudiced integrity.