Curtis DVD5038 Reviews

• Ease of Set Up

Curtis DVD5038 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Curtis DVD5038

Curtis DVD5038

“Can't get the signal to my new T.V. It was working & I...”

Written on: 29/11/2008 by warcad (1 review written)

Can't get the signal to my new T.V. It was working & I tried to get the sound over to the DVD from the T.v. and I chnged a setting and now I lost the signal to the T.V.
I cannot access the menu or the setup. Any Ideas on how to fix this? Maybe a trouble line phone # for Curtis?… Read Full Review

Lukasangell's Response to warcad's Review

Written on: 22/05/2013

well you could always retune your tv and if you want the tv sound coming out your speakers you need a have a cable called a coaxal cabe which goes into the back of the tv and the other end in the sub woofer of your speaker system. with your acces to the menu maybe it might be a faulty tv or you might need new battries in your remote i dont know but i hope this helps. best of luck.

Curtis DVD5038

“The price is good. It looks cool and it is quite...”

Written on: 18/11/2006 by calatoru (1 review written)

The price is good. It looks cool and it is quite versatile, but it also suffers from strong background noise. There is no off button on the remote control. The Curtis DVD5038 is a poor quality DVD home cinema system… Read Full Review

Curtis DVD5038

“I have a Curtis DVD5038 Home Cinema system, and mine...”

Written on: 04/12/2005 by player002 (1 review written)

I have a Curtis DVD5038 Home Cinema system, and mine has worked very well with only one problem... The sound is a constant humming/buzzing/hissing electrical noise whenever the power is on. I am annoyed with the sound! Does everyone else have this problem? I read about some other people having the same sound issue on here, and apparently the speaker wire is too low quality someone says. I will be getting a new home audio amp anyway, and I plan to continue using my cheap Curtis DVD player until… Read Full Review

Lukasangell's Response to player002's Review

Written on: 22/05/2013

all i can suggest is cheack all your wire connections because sometimes the humming noise can occour when there is lose connections and i would suggest getting some better speaker wire. best of luck.

Curtis DVD5038

“We used the system for Curtis DVD5038 five months...”

Written on: 25/07/2004 by cobblm (1 review written)

We used the system for Curtis DVD5038 five months then it stopped working. It was purchased at McRae's in Baton Rouge at Christmas time. We have been trying to find a telephone number to call about the system and have not been able to find one. We are beginning to get a little frustrated. We found this site and hoping that writing this will help us get some information… Read Full Review

167291_Terriwood2's Response to cobblm's Review

Written on: 25/08/2004

The same thing happened to us. We purchased our system from Foley's in Tulsa a week or so before Christmas and it stopped working about a month ago. Foley's won't take it back. They don't even carry that brand anymore. I have not been able to find a way to contact Curtis either. We are not happy! If anyone can help, please let us know. thanks.

Lukasangell's Response to cobblm's Review

Written on: 22/05/2013

where ever you purchased it from try and maybe take it back or swap a new one because the only reason why i can think why it has stopped working is that sometimes in the subwoofer which dishes out the sound the is whats called a filtaration system which gets blocked sometimes and the only way of unvblocking is take it apart or got to the purchase store and they can help you. best of luck.

Pyrst's Response to cobblm's Review

Written on: 23/10/2004

Not sure if this will help at this point but here is the website :
<br>http://www.curtisint.com

Heartofvegas's Response to cobblm's Review

Written on: 01/09/2004

I was able to find a 1-800 number for Curtis customer service. They are available during business hours only, 8:30 to 4:30 I believe.

Curtis DVD5038

“The Curtis DVD5038 dvd player is a great buy. I was...”

Written on: 06/07/2004 by hey2all (1 review written)

The Curtis DVD5038 dvd player is a great buy. I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality, which was clear even at high volume… Read Full Review

Farley1Guy's Response to hey2all's Review

Written on: 14/12/2004

First and foremost, thanks for your review. But, with such high ratings for such an off brand item more specifics would be really helpful here. In particular, how about responding to the comments of other reviewers (i.e., hissing sound, TV compatibility, etc.).

Curtis DVD5038

“For the price of a cheap CD/FM/AM mini destop system,...”

Written on: 31/01/2004 by EdT (1 review written)

For the price of a cheap CD/FM/AM mini destop system, you can get the Curtis DVD5038 which is a great home theatre system for the same price which you can play not just regular CDs, but DVDs as well with a AM/FM tuner to catch radios stations. Its just incredible what you get really ... this is real quality for the price per feature ratio ! I paid $116cdn for it… Read Full Review

Curtis DVD5038

“The Curtis DVD5038's manual offers suggestions on how...”

Written on: 25/01/2004 by Hunni (1 review written)

The Curtis DVD5038's manual offers suggestions on how to optimize the sound and picture quality on your system, however, when you set the system up to p-scan, it automatically locks out the system. The sound still comes through, but the remote will no longer respond to anything and the player itself does not respond as well. There is no technical information as to how to correct this issue. So we now have a dvd player that has a dvd in it that will not eject, nor will the picture come through… Read Full Review

Picsyl's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 26/01/2004

I had the same problem with.I put it in a box and i returded it to the manufacturer. Just wait now!

Heartofvegas's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 01/09/2004

Same thing happened to mine. I emailed the manufacturer and they did respond with an 800 number to call. Here's the solution they gave me. I have not tried it yet. I'll keep you posted on the results. I was able to remove the DVD and that will be necessary for this to work.
<br>
<br>Step 1: Remove DVD, turn unit off. (website troubleshoots says for 10 seconds.)
<br>Step 2: Turn unit on.
<br>Step 3: Press SETUP button
<br>Step 4: Press RIGHT ARROW button 3 times.
<br>Step 5: Press DOWN ARROW button 5 times.
<br>Step 6: Press RIGHT ARROW button again 1 time.
<br>Step 7: Press ENTER button.
<br>
<br>I know you're probably saying "HUH!" right now, and I thought it was stranger than fiction myself. As their customer service department is only available during business hours (8:30 to 4:30, they are located in Canada. I don't know what time zone.) I will not find out if this really works until I am home in the evening. Good luck to you and to me as well! You were absolutely right about the owner's manual --- USELESS!!!!!!
<br>Susan
<br>Fort Worth, TX

Hey2All's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 06/07/2004

yes phone their customer service, it's great.

Hollyknight69's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 22/05/2004

i tryed this and it did not work i was wondering if any one knows how to get in touch with the company and or has the number so i can talk to them

153993_Crundie's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 03/05/2004

Thank you! Thank you! to you for posting the instructions on how to fix the P-scan issue. I did it to a friends dvd player and felt like a total prat. Then I couldn't figure out how to contact the manufacturer because there is no info for that in the manual and I couldn't find the manufacturer online. You have helped me to redeem myself. Thank you!

Kermally's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 17/02/2004

Try this if you get locked out - it worked for us - as told to us by the Curtis people here in Toronto: Take DVD disk out - turn player off - turn player on - Press Set Up - the screen will still be blank - but to this - Right Arrow x 3, Down Arrow x 5, Right Arrow x 1 and press Enter. Your picture should be back.

Kermally's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 17/02/2004

We called the Cdn. Co herein in Toronto when we got locked out and they told us to do the following, which we did and the system is back on screen! Take the DVD out of the player. Turn off, turn on - still can't see but do the following, slowly in this sequence: Press Set UP - move arrow right 3 times, move arrow down 5 times, move arrow right once and press Enter.
<br>Voila. It's back. Let me know if it works for you all.

Picsyl's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 02/02/2004

How did you do that? With the remote? I tried all the button but it not worked!

Bolty's Response to Hunni's Review

Written on: 31/01/2004

Same thing with me too. It still works, you just cant see the video. I fooled around with the remote till i was able to get it off the pscan setting.

Curtis DVD5038

“Curtis DVD 5038 is great for the price you pay. ”

Written on: 31/12/2003 by Bolek (1 review written)

Curtis DVD 5038 is great for the price you pay.
It looks very cool and it has most features like (zoom, angle, 2.1/5.1, component out, multiregion, NTSC/PAL,...).
You can avoid most so called problem by changing setups:
- DTS sound distortion by setting
"Treble Boost" to Off
"Bass Boost" to Off
- Sound hiss, statics by
changing speaker wires to more expensive
(it would cost more than you paid for DVD5038)
keep speake wires as far from TV as possible
- connecting… Read Full Review

Curtis DVD5038

“DVD picture quality from the Curtis DVD5038 was good...”

Written on: 24/11/2003 by maxlistener (1 review written)

DVD picture quality from the Curtis DVD5038 was good when the video signal was sent through a friends' Philips Magnavox VCR to their Magnavox TV using the included composite video cable with RCA connectors. However, connecting to our older GE television through our Sharp VCR resulted in a picture that kept swinging between perfect and terrible. The shop clerk explained this was caused by a copy protection scheme designed to prevent copying DVDs to videotape. She said we could solve the problem… Read Full Review