Packard Bell Easynote K5285 Reviews

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

Packard Bell Easynote K5285 - Ask a question now

Packard Bell Easynote K5285

“about 10 years of use and still going strong”

Written on: 17/11/2012 by jonsay (2 reviews written)

This is by far the most reliable laptop I have owned. I know its impossible to buy one now but that is a shame. I thought the harddrive would have given up the ghost years ago but it is still rock solid even if it is only 32GBytes in size. It hasn`t been without its problems as nothing is. The casing around my screen is cracked and missing pieces where the hinges are. The DVDRW drive stopped working for a while until I unscrewed it, took it out and then re-installed it. I haven`t had any… Read Full Review

Packard Bell Easynote K5285

“Too expensive, for what it delivers (overall). But...”

Written on: 30/08/2008

Too expensive, for what it delivers (overall). But then I did buy mine S/H, so cant complain.
No gripes about the OS, (XP Pro) anyone with a problem with the OS should format the drive & start again. I Did.

Personally, I'll stick with my desktops thanks!… Read Full Review

Packard Bell Easynote K5285

“The Packard Bell Easynote K5285 must be one of the...”

Written on: 22/01/2006 by daylightrobbery (1 review written)

The Packard Bell Easynote K5285 must be one of the worse laptop models Packard Bell have churned out!

I was suckered by PC World into parting with £1200 for this inferior machine with a short operating life. I have had the machine 15 months, and although it has not been abused it is now useless... The worst investment I have ever made… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Packard Bell Easynote K5285

“At the time of purchasing the Packard Bell Easynote...”

Written on: 13/02/2005 by John Lister (1 review written)

At the time of purchasing the Packard Bell Easynote K5285 I resisted considerable pressure from PC World to take out extended warranty - I always do.

After 14 months I was unable to boot up the laptop and sought advice from PC World (the vendor) at Exeter - without success. I sought professional assistance. We were advised that the problem was likely to be minor and that re-installing Windows XP would resolve the problem. However, the DVDRW drive was found to be defective. Again we sought… Read Full Review

Antonyx's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 08/03/2005

Yes, I had the same problem with my laptop
<br>The CD Drive would not boot when trying to install xp, anyone else have this problem??
<br>I've not even had it for one year.

222769_Dqjc's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 29/12/2005

My easynote k5285 continually shuts its scren down although leaving a very weak image in the background. any ideas...thanks

222769_Dqjc's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 29/12/2005

I too have an easynote k5285 but have a different problem and i am hoping that someone may have an answer. Apologies if it is a problem that has a simple answer but i'm new to laptops......anyway, damn thing keeps shutting the screen down although i can make out a very weak image in the background. If i reboot it is ok for another few minutes then goes down again.....fan etc still running in background so its not powering down...any help??

218238_Jonarblaster's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 23/11/2005

I bought Packard Bell K5285 in Oct 03 from Walsall Currys and it failed to start-up May 05. Replaced Hard drive and okay until Oct 05 then failed to start-up again. My battery began losing its charge after about 6 months from purchase date and not long after only had enough charge for 1 min without mains. I will not be purchasing another Packard Bell product...Ever.

Jcarter196's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 22/10/2005

I too brought a Packard Bell K5285 from PC World.
<br>I always had trouble with the battery not lasting very long then it went dead, I replaced the battery with a good quality one and still was no good.
<br>I also cant run it without battery installed.
<br>My dad got a Compaq before I got mine and has no probs and his runs without battery installed. Unlike Packard bell where even if you use mains it still needs battery installed.
<br>I also looked on Ebay and noticed alot of Packard Bells have same fault with powering up. I will not be buying Packard Bell anymore. You would also think with all the probs with Packard Bell that PC World would stop dealing with them.

211807_Zzzz1234's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 28/09/2005

Hi,
<br>
<br>No offence but I don't agree with your point of view. If the warranty expires, then a company has no obligation to repair something for free.

Supervillain's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 29/05/2005

I too purchased a packard bell easynote k5285, from dixons. After 14 months (after not purchasing the extended warranty)the laptop went dead. It wouldn't boot up at all. I sent it to a local repair centre who confirmed that the motherboard had 'failed' and that only Packard Bell could provide a replacement. I went to the packard bell website and contacted their 'out of warrently service partner' Romtronics. They collected the unit and ordered the replacement motherboard, That was 5 months ago.
<br>
<br>Romtronics claim that the manufacturer of the k5 series did not hold back any spare parts from production but instead used them all to create more units, Romtronics claim that Packard Bell are doing everything they can to have the parts manufactured and that it will cost me £500 pounds for a replacement when one is finally made.
<br>I too wrote to Trading Standards, to no avail. I also wrote to Packard Bell in Holland (they have no email address on their website! wonder why) I recieved a generic letter with mastercares phone number on, when i called them it was an answering machine offering software support. Romtronics say they cannot even get batteries for the k5 series and they have 10 of these units waitinig for parts from packard bell. I have given up and I have requestd the return of my broken laptop from Romtronics (at £20 labour charge!!) and i am buying a broken unit on ebay and fixing it myself, i can get a refurbished k5285 for cheaper than the repair cost of mine. Dixons, curries, NEC, none of these companies count you as a consumer once your warranty has elapsed, it's disgusting how they treat their 'customers'.

Matt34's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 17/03/2005

Drop into the BIOS (normally either F2, Esc or Delete) and change the boot order. It's normally set to HD>Floppy>CD, best to pick Floppy>CDRom>HD. If that don't work, use a Win98 bootable floppy to drop into DOS, put a CD in and type D: then at D:>dir. If a list comes up, the CDROM is fine, otherwise its bust.
<br>
<br>N.B. change D: for the letter of the CDROM (E:, F: or whatever, try a few)

Matt34's Response to John Lister's Review

Written on: 14/03/2005

Are you suggesting that PC World should be responsible for the repair of your laptop indefinitely? The 1 year warranty is pretty much a global standard across retail and a line has to be drawn somewhere, companies cannot keep on supporting their products indefinitely.
<br>
<br>I'm sorry that the laptop bust just outside the warranty period, but you were offered the extended warranty (which is expensive, but would have covered exactly this scenario) and declined it.
<br>
<br>I would also be surprised if you had any luck with the Sale of Goods Act, as it states that if a fault occurs within 6 months of purchase, it can be assumed to be faulty from manufacture, outside that six months, the consumer has to prove the case - the warranty is above and beyond your statutory rights. You would be very lucky to have any success with the fit for purpose issue, as it has been for well over a year.
<br>
<br>Sorry to be downcast about your chances of a happy solution, but I think it would be a better use of your time chasing the suppliers of the second CD drive that wasn't suitable, rather than (unfairly in my view) attacking PC World.