Toyota Corolla T-Sport Reviews

Toyota Corolla T-Sport - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Toyota Corolla T-Sport

Toyota Corolla T-Sport
Toyota Corolla T-Sport

“Gutless supposed "Hot Hatch"”

Written on: 07/08/2014 by Ken2589 (1 review written)

I gave up a 306 GTI 6 for Toyota's "Hot Hatch" and the 306 pisses all over it. The T-Sport is a huge disappointment with a lot of noise and bluster but no performance until the second cam kicks in at 6,000 revs. The fuel economy is atrocious too. For 189 BHP I expected better but the power is delivered too high in the rev range… Read Full Review

“I use my T sport as a regular car, with a cherry on...”

Written on: 08/06/2010

I use my T sport as a regular car, with a cherry on top. It is fast, I once tested the 0-100 with a computer that indicated just about everything on a flat dry road, with a side wind of 7 kph, I got 7.21 seconds 0-100 kph, 12,79 seconds to 140 kph, 22,68 to 180 kph, 31,2 to 200 kph The trick is : off traction control, hot oil (needless to say), no wheel spin, and no 'lift' in 1st gear, but go up to 5900 rpm before 2nd gear, and than shift just before rev limiter. In daily use (no highways), I… Read Full Review

“I have had a CTR and bmw 320ci - this feels more...”

Written on: 20/05/2010

I have had a CTR and bmw 320ci - this feels more powerfull than both. As it is the later models it looks and handles much better. I have caught out plenty of other motorists who fail to realise that "its a wolf in sheeps clothing" :) i do alot of long distance driving and i have done 3500 miles in the 3 months ive owned it and so far trouble free. The lift at 6000rpm is addictive so i regularly find myself above 6k which is bad for my wallet… Read Full Review

“I would highly recommend Toyota Corolla T-Sport. Ok,...”

Written on: 23/01/2009

I would highly recommend Toyota Corolla T-Sport. Ok, the early models (mines an 02) look a bit boring compared with the facelift models, however the performance when driven correctly is outstanding....the car rewards in buckets! The t sport gets a bad press because the power band is located so high up the rev range....but if you drive it properly you can easily keep within this band. The car just keeps going and dont forget....this is all from a 1.8 litre engine. As its a toyota it'll go… Read Full Review

“Great smooth low speed drive. Very practical with...”

Written on: 17/03/2008

Great smooth low speed drive. Very practical with plenty of boot space… Read Full Review

“I've had my Corolla T-sport for nearly 2 years now and...”

Written on: 20/01/2008 by deegee550 (1 review written)

I've had my Corolla T-sport for nearly 2 years now and I love it. As other reviewers have said, it is a wolf in sheeps clothing and leaves other so-called hot hatches standing without really breaking sweat. I have also found the fuel consumption very acceptable considering the potential bhp. I regularly achieve 40 mpg plus on journeys just driving "normally"… Read Full Review

“This Toyota Corolla T-Sport car can kick butt! Its...”

Written on: 18/09/2006 by 189BHP (1 review written)

This Toyota Corolla T-Sport car can kick butt! Its subtle looks mean Ford and Vauxhall drivers just don't expect the whipping they get in there st170 and sri bangers! I've been really pleased with the overall performance of the car, however I feel I have been let down by the Toyota dealership run by Arnold Clark… Read Full Review

“Ok after owning 27 rubbish cars from Alfa to Land...”

Written on: 18/07/2006 by Dav73 (1 review written)

Ok after owning 27 rubbish cars from Alfa to Land Rover and Fiat to VW I finally decided to go Japanese. The normal Corolla did nothing for me but when I found my Racing Green (told rare colour for this model) T Sport and listened to the dealer about its vital statistics and saw the 6th gear well that was it.

It took a while for me to be brave enough to get to 6000 revs but by god when I did I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day. I am loving this car especially the fact it looks… Read Full Review

“This Toyota Corolla T-Sport is a superb mix of great...”

Written on: 18/05/2006 by TJB135 (1 review written)

This Toyota Corolla T-Sport is a superb mix of great fun, practicality and comfort. It is a sedate family hatchback at lower revs, then when you want it, it's wild. The handling at speed could be better, from other reviews, it clearly needs lowering, but so long as you repect it, this is never going to be a problem… Read Full Review

“Great All Round Car. Only Bad Thing Is I Drive a Long...”

Written on: 14/04/2006 by RoadKill (1 review written)

Great All Round Car. Only Bad Thing Is I Drive a Long Distance Everyday. And Have To Re-Fuel At Least Once a Day. At 6000 All Hell Breaks Loose As You Overtake And The Person Stares As You Fly Past Thinking "Is That a Car Or a Plane." I've Had 2 Replace the Engine Which Was VERY Expensive. (About 9K) And Im Currently On 250,000 Miles. Great Car… Read Full Review

“This is a well built car, great handling very quick, a...”

Written on: 08/01/2006 by HOLLYMAN (1 review written)

This is a well built car, great handling very quick, a wolf in sheep's clothing. Catches a lot of other car owners out. Better than Honda's Type R in the wet - it doesn't have traction control. So this is where the T Sport has the Type R beaten… Read Full Review

“The Toyota Corolla T-Sport is a great car on the...”

Written on: 04/12/2005 by exhaustnote (1 review written)

The Toyota Corolla T-Sport is a great car on the whole, practical and reliable with extras you only get on cars a lot more expensive (a lot a kickdown from Lexus e.g emergency brake assist- the 60-0 time is only 2.4 seconds.. That's Evo/WRX territory!)

With a 190bhp engine, one would expect the 0-60 time to be a bit better, but the car's strength lies in speeds above 20mph. In short, if you take the time to learn the gear ratios and turn off the traction control, the car rewards in buckets… Read Full Review

“My name is Magga I have got a 2002 Toyota Corolla...”

Written on: 24/11/2005 by magga (1 review written)

My name is Magga I have got a 2002 Toyota Corolla T-Sport 194 bhp all standard. I decided that the car was all good except handling. So what I did was lowered it by 45mm. Now it's like a train on rails. I have also got the engine giving 268 bhp at 6500 revs with a little help of a super chip, good buy, Scoobys. Before I done this, I had 150 mph out of the car with 4 up. Now she just bounces the needle at 150 easy. 0 to 60 in 5.7 secs etc well worth the 12,500… Read Full Review

“I decided to buy the Toyota Corolla T-Sport as I...”

Written on: 28/10/2005 by anthony1a (2 reviews written)

I decided to buy the Toyota Corolla T-Sport as I wanted something other than a type-R or a Golf. It looked nice, and on the brief test drive it seemed OK, BUT...

The paint job has to be the worst. I have already had to have half of the car resprayed due to it being prone to chipping. The clutch in traffic is a nightmare (avoid traffic jams in this), then there's the power, or lack of it the majority of the time. With a 0-60 of 8.4 seconds it's slow, and the power does not kick in until… Read Full Review

218701_Jeff101's Response to anthony1a's Review

Written on: 27/11/2005

Fascinating, you find the 0-60 performance underwhelming... When does anyone actually go from a standing start to 60 in "normal" driving? The true strength of this car lies in 20mph onwards, then it rips the guts out of most cars, including the Civic Type-R...
<br>
<br>When it comes to the clutch..My 8 stone waif of a wife finds it light, compared to her 1.4 Polo, as such, you may have a duff clutch?
<br>
<br>As for delivering 35mpg... I drive my CTS conservatively, and mine has only managed 32.2 over the last year. No wonder you find the performance lacking!
<br>
<br>And the paint job.. Paint chips, mine has, they patch it up.
<br>
<br>Put your foot down, and turn the traction control off please!

Johan 1972's Response to anthony1a's Review

Written on: 24/07/2009

There are 2 reasons for the conservative 0-100 kph, first is the Celica, second the Japanese insurance system. All cars are limited to 112 mph in Japan. Therefore insurances take the 0-62 mph times as a reference. The actual time is between 7.3 and 7.5. I own one, and I am quite happy with it (comfort, speed ), but it makes a little too much noise. If I have to drive to Belgium from Poland, I put earplugs in throughout the German Autobahn, it gets annoying after over 8 hours.

“The Toyota Corolla T-Sport is a lovely drive, starting...”

Written on: 07/01/2005 by iangillam (1 review written)

The Toyota Corolla T-Sport is a lovely drive, starting with the cabin (2004 model) which is rammed with extras, including digital climate control, aluminium kick plates and pedals, electric everything and this really handy rear view mirror that merrily dips of its own accord when the usual idiot comes up behind you, lights-a-blaring.

Mercifully, lights-a-blaring fools behind generally are't a problem for too long, as when you stick your foot down, the VVTLi engine kicks you in the back, and… Read Full Review

183940_Adaitiyt's Response to iangillam's Review

Written on: 13/02/2005

Having just come back from a test drive in a T Sport, I agree entirely that it's an awesomely equipped car both in spec and engineering. I find it better looking than the Type R and disagree in part that you find it plain,; I'd call it more understated. If Toyota only had the cojones to upgrade their engine to a 2 litre, they'd finally have a car that would destroy the Type R.. I reckon.

Jpants's Response to iangillam's Review

Written on: 08/05/2006

Finally got my T-Sport at the end of August and have clocked up some 20000 miles since (big commute)! This isn't easy on the petrol (currently 94p/l) and keeping the car at high revs doesn't help much. Also, the noise within the car is high at 80mph (4000 rpm) so travelling at 60 has increased benefits. However, i find that there's some kind of oxymoron there - using the T-Sport to drive at a steady 60mph!!! It is understated and, as yet, nobody has tried to steal it. Also, it is good to know that you can burn the boy-racers if you need to and enjoy the smugness of it all when you're away from the traffic lights and charging high in 2nd (make sure the trip computer isn't displaying petrol usage at this point!!!). Handling is good, especially with the entrance/exits from motorways (high speed corners almost) and is reliable in towns.
I was lucky in getting mine 2nd hand (although the other owner was Toyota itself so I'm the 1st "proper" owner) as I'd begrudge paying full whack for the car. In fact, with the distances I'm travelling, I'm considering swapping the car for the Prius or T-Spirit Corolla (and probably shall do when the thrill of the 6000rpm kick fades). It's not a cheap car to own but it is fun - what more can I say?

237695_Sky1000's Response to iangillam's Review

Written on: 07/04/2006

My wife had a T-sport...I thought it was a lot of fun to drive, had the extras you noted and was very practical. The drawbacks that I had with car included the poor service and support from Toyota, the paint flaking on the door (mentioned by someone else as well...) and the need to replace the brake pads too often (neither my wife or I drove it that hard...).
To be honest, I'd consider a used T-Sport if my wife wanted another car. As for me, I just spent less money for a used 330ci and got a lot more car.

Jpants's Response to iangillam's Review

Written on: 01/08/2005

Great review; having read it, I went out to test drive a T-Sport and am now awaiting delivery! I'm a 27 yr old teacher, so won't be needing the "boy racer" aspect of the car but it is certainly a step up from my present N reg Corolla. And the kick when you hit the higher revs...wow! As for insurance, I suggest shopping around; I've managed to get it for £290 with only 3yrs no-claims bonus to my name. Just counting down the days now and trying to find my mis-filed V5 !!!!!

Evilnads's Response to iangillam's Review

Written on: 21/06/2005

Could not agree more. You get a lot of car for ya money. Slapping in a 2lt lump might only add a little more low down torque to the equation, but wouldn`t half make the insurance dearer.

“This is the best car I have ever had. ”

Written on: 22/11/2003 by tsport (2 reviews written)

This is the best car I have ever had.

You would not believe the fun you can have in this car. It sticks to the road like it was on rails.

The power delivery from the engine is phenomenal.
It has an extra cam that kicks in about 6200 revs and gives you a massive boost, almost like a turbo kicking in, all the way up to 8300 revs.

As standard it comes with a 6 speed gearbox and with 192 BHP under your right foot you really get shoved back in your seat when you floor it.

You should see the… Read Full Review

Iangillam's Response to tsport's Review

Written on: 07/01/2005

Great comments, the car truly performs well! I would have preferred more attention to the lack of torque under 4000 revs and the steering being a bit numb to the touch.
<br>Good driving, my fellow T-Sport Friend!