Shih Tzu Reviews

Shih Tzu - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Shih Tzu

Shih Tzu
Shih Tzu

“I have a shitz tzu girl age 7 month. I have had Tilly...”

Written on: 29/04/2010

I have a shitz tzu girl age 7 month. I have had Tilly since she was 8 weeks old. I really love her and she loves me-sumtimes too much! She has a great nature and everybody loves her especially my 2 children whom she just cant get enough of. I took Tilly to a Puppy training class, i would recommend this to any dog owner. It has taught her 2 be good around other dogs. There was all kinds of dogs at the puppy training and she loved it.It taught her to be social with other dogs. I thought that… Read Full Review

“my little shih-tzu is name lollipop shes 18mths old...”

Written on: 06/02/2010 by patty0o121 (1 review written)

my little shih-tzu is name lollipop shes 18mths old now and well looked after and loved she likes the company of my bichon bungle and they go every where together and both love to be brushed and go to the groomers twice a month they both love a walk everyday and love to sit on my lap all the kids love to come to the fence and stroke them because the are so loving oh why do humans hurt animals all they need is love… Read Full Review

“I have a one year old male Shih Tzu. I got him when he...”

Written on: 29/10/2009

I have a one year old male Shih Tzu. I got him when he was 4 months old & he is absolutely adorable. He is extremely spoilt and well cared for. I have not had any problems with him being vicious. We often joke he's like a grumpy old man as he sometimes gets a little moody if somebody interrupts when he is spending time with me. This is rare though, he's only done this about twice the whole time we've had him - never bitten anyone or anything but gets a bit moody and will move away from the… Read Full Review

“i was given a 1 and a half Shih Tzu from my mother law...”

Written on: 03/10/2009 by jasonx1 (107 reviews written)

i was given a 1 and a half Shih Tzu from my mother law who could not look after him anymore . after a clean up and hes hair cut which was so matted he looked like he had dredlocks lol which he didnt mind the full cleanup .so he now looks so cute now then he did before i took he i could see him now . any way there very playfull dogs and loving there a indoor dog and dont like been left in back yards . our ben as he called has separation anxiety, which these dogs sometimes have having read loads… Read Full Review

“I have got s shih tzu at the moment and OMG i love him...”

Written on: 04/06/2009 by Shih Tzu Lover (1 review written)

I have got s shih tzu at the moment and OMG i love him soo much!!

I spoke to a trainer and we were intending to train him on our own and she said to me, and these are her exact words
' Shih Tzu's are such family orientated animals that the training really should be done by the owner but hints and tips can be given.'
Romeo was dead easy to train with cheese and chicken. you need to do it quickly from an early age or they lose interest. I done 1 1/2 hours of training everynight with Romeo and he… Read Full Review

“I have a Shih Tzu, I just loved the look of them so...”

Written on: 27/05/2009

I have a Shih Tzu, I just loved the look of them so had to buy one. I have now had him for just over 2 months - he is gorgeous and affectionate, only he is very hard to train, not with tricks, just being house clean, bit of a nightmare!… Read Full Review

“I just recently was given a shih tzu for my birthday...”

Written on: 11/05/2009 by shanban14 (1 review written)

I just recently was given a shih tzu for my birthday and i can only describe him as a delightful, sweet little ball of fluff!
He shed's no hair at all and is very well behaved when it comes to washing and grooming him, he sits patiently waiting till i let him go and play.
He is so friendly with everyone he meets!
They really are a fabulous breed and in my opinion the cutest aswell!
I could not ask for a better dog at 10 weeks he is almost toilet trained. He understands sit and knows when we say… Read Full Review

“I used to have a Shih Tzu and he was a lovable little...”

Written on: 08/04/2009 by wikidzmon (34 reviews written)

I used to have a Shih Tzu and he was a lovable little scamp! He was probably the least intelligent dog that i have had and he did get aggressive from time to time but on the whole he was a very entertaining little chap.

I found it very difficult train him to do anything interesting other than sit (under duress) and as i say, he was a little bitey hence the low score but i thought he looked cute and had a funny old face

Definitely a scamp!… Read Full Review

“I used to have a Shih Tzu. They have a fluffy and...”

Written on: 13/05/2008

I used to have a Shih Tzu. They have a fluffy and beautful coat of fur. I love them!… Read Full Review

“Great companions, game for anything, she will see...”

Written on: 16/01/2007 by Lancylass (1 review written)

Great companions, game for anything, she will see anybody off - great little guard dog, a real joy to have as part of the family… Read Full Review

“Shih Tzu's are so adorable, and they are small and...”

Written on: 10/11/2006 by Shoppa (10 reviews written)

Shih Tzu's are so adorable, and they are small and cute! They are worth the money they cost because they are so lovely! They pick up on tricks quite quickly too! They are GORGEOUS!… Read Full Review

“He loves people, he loves other dogs, and he loves...”

Written on: 07/11/2006 by purpledream (1 review written)

He loves people, he loves other dogs, and he loves children. I also had one as a family pet when I was a child, and I loved him too, which is the reason why I decided to get another Shih Tzu… Read Full Review

“I have a little shih tzu and he is just the best...”

Written on: 11/04/2006 by Poocher (8 reviews written)

I have a little shih tzu and he is just the best little dog in the world. He has such a friendly temperament, is brilliant with children and old people. He is such good company and so intelligent that its like he is almost trying to talk to you!. I cannot imagine a better dog, I totally love him!… Read Full Review

“We have had two Shih Tzu's now, and both have been...”

Written on: 20/11/2005 by Toler45 (1 review written)

We have had two Shih Tzu's now, and both have been very friendly and good with children. They love to play fetch, but don't always bring the ball or toy back to you… Read Full Review

“Shih Tzus are so loveable they are a really good dog...”

Written on: 09/10/2005 by BeBe23 (1 review written)

Shih Tzus are so loveable they are a really good dog to have if you are looking for a sweet loving companion. They tend to need lots of attention and can be jealous. They are usually very laid back, if you are looking to have a dog that will just lay around the house with you then you could not ask for a better dog. Like all dogs it depends on how you treat it; if you are playful and ruff with it, then if will be playful and rough with you. Their personalities are much like the… Read Full Review

“These dogs may look cute and unthreatening, but watch...”

Written on: 20/08/2005 by fairygirl (1 review written)

These dogs may look cute and unthreatening, but watch out! I have known two separate Shih Tzus in my life, and they were both horribly mean dogs. My aunt and uncle had one that was so mean they had to lock it up when anyone came over, and they finally had to get rid of it when they wanted to have a baby. My boyfriend's parents currently have a Shih Tzu that is perfectly fine with them and has had extensive obedience training. However, he has bitten numerous people when unprovoked--family… Read Full Review

Hchoc2405's Response to 207110_fairygirl's Review

Written on: 03/10/2005

I don't know where you are coming from saying Shih Tzu's are nasty
<br>I bred Shih Tzu's for a number of years.
<br>I have had to stop now because of ill health but had the last three living with me until my last one (Sophie) died at the age of 12 years and 11 months.
<br>I never experienced bad temper with any of them - as soon as they were delivered I would be there to stroke the side of there faces very softly.
<br>I firmly believe that this makes them very placid and stoic and even when they are older they like nothing better than to sit on your lap being stroked on there faces.

Sergio1996's Response to 207110_fairygirl's Review

Written on: 16/08/2013

If there is a problem with the Shih Tzu, or any other dog for that matter...then the problem lies with the owner and the way they're raised and socialized.

Ogradyn's Response to 207110_fairygirl's Review

Written on: 14/02/2009

I have a shih tzu and all we get is compliments on what a lovely temperament he has. Shih tzu do not have a nasty bone in their bodies and if these shih tzu our nasty it is down to the owner and how the dog has been brought up.
<br/>

Cocochanel0228's Response to 207110_fairygirl's Review

Written on: 03/01/2006

hi, it is unfortunate that you would generalize about these wonderful little dogs. dogs behavior , whether they be shih tzu or labs, depends on the way they are treated, socialized and brought up.
<br>dogs need to be trained through classes and repetitive obedience training. dogs who do not go through training do not know what is expected of them. owners who dont train their dogs can t expect them to know what they are supposed to or arent supposed to do. did the two dogs you mentioned receive training? how were they treated. ultimately, a dogs actions are a reflection of their owners. it is always the owners responsibility if the dog does something wrong. i think it is so sad that you would generalize about the entire breed like this because you know of two shih tzus and you heard this and that. do you even own one?
<br>my shih tzu has gone through training, is a certified therapy dog and is so great with kids. they could poke her in the eye (which they have done) and she would never do anything but blink and maybe back away out of surprise. it is unfortunate you have not met better mannered shih tzus. they are honestly little angels in fur.

Cocochanel0228's Response to 207110_fairygirl's Review

Written on: 03/01/2006

hi, i think that all dogs, no matter if they are shih tzus or labs, it depends on the way they are treated, socialized and brought up. Did any of the shih tzus you mention get obedience training?? i for one firmly believe in obedience and training. if you do not take the time to spend and train it to act how you want or do not want it to act, then it is the owners fault.
<br>i have a shih tzu and she would never bite anyone. it kind of sucks that you would generalize about this breed since you've heard this and that, but do you own one?

213950_Cheryl Pfeifer's Response to 207110_fairygirl's Review

Written on: 16/10/2005

I have never heard of a Shih Tzu having a nasty temperment. My vet even recomended them for families with children.

“I think that the Shih Tzu is a very loveable dog to...”

Written on: 27/04/2005 by sally sambridge (1 review written)

I think that the Shih Tzu is a very loveable dog to have. When they bite, they don't want to let go and it really is very painful. They do tend to get so close to you, that you tend to trip over them… Read Full Review

“Did you know the colour of a shiddy (shih tzu), can...”

Written on: 07/02/2005 by hallelujah baby (1 review written)

Did you know the colour of a shiddy (shih tzu), can change, so the colour you start out with is not necessarily the same you end up with!!

They can have snuffles until all their teeth are through, so olbas oil sprinkled on bedding can help them breathe better during this period. By five months this should no longer be a problem, so if a vet says it has a nose problem and needs surgery, dont accept it, wait till the teeth are all done growing through.

To keep white faces white, give your… Read Full Review

Cocochanel0228's Response to hallelujah baby's Review

Written on: 03/01/2006

hi, i have a 3 year shih tzu, liver colored.
<br>i really enjoyed reading your review. you sound so knowledgeable about the breed and the certain antics they are up to.
<br>
<br>yes, i love the free running around. they look like rabbits or squirrels!!
<br>take care!

413851_Xfairybabyx's Response to hallelujah baby's Review

Written on: 30/10/2008

Hiya i am considering getting a shih tzu but i am still working on it!<br/>I think your review is really helpful and has made me even more determined to get one. I think you know alot about the breed and have expressed some of the difficulties aswell as the good points! Thanks alot x

236379_Manda May's Response to hallelujah baby's Review

Written on: 29/03/2006

Hi ... I have just brought a shih tzu puppy and he is a bundle of joy my kids love him to bits....i read your comments about these dogs and it was a joy to read as i didn't know much about these dogs. i think you're write up is very good thank you for such good reading... :-)