Dyson DC05 Motorhead Reviews

• Service & Support

Dyson DC05 Motorhead - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Dyson DC05 Motorhead

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“Love the Dyson, best ever vacuum machine I've ever...”

Written on: 12/03/2008

Love the Dyson, best ever vacuum machine I've ever had. Great quick service even under warranty!… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I purchased my Dyson DC05 motorhead vacuum cleaner on...”

Written on: 10/03/2006 by antzinyabance (2 reviews written)

I purchased my Dyson DC05 motorhead vacuum cleaner on 17/05/2003, and it was deemed to be faulty on first use. After carefully putting it together the floor tool with motorised head cracked on first contact with my short pile carpet. I returned it to the shop and it was immediately replaced.

I had approximately 1 and a 1/2 years of trouble free use with my replacement, but eventually started to notice a loss of suction, and after careful inspection saw that cracks were appearing on the dust… Read Full Review

Antzinyabance's Response to antzinyabance's Review

Written on: 11/03/2006

After some consideration, I decided to telephone the help-line again to find out how much the cleaner would cost to repair out of guarantee and was pleasantly surprised to learn that there is a standard charge of £55 to have an engineer call and put every wrong to right. Can book a date but not a time which is difficult for people out at work. Certainly cheaper than buying a new cleaner!

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I have had a Dyson DC05 Motorhead vacuum cleaner for 3...”

Written on: 08/01/2006 by dt065 (1 review written)

I have had a Dyson DC05 Motorhead vacuum cleaner for 3 years now, and it is working the same now as it did the day we had it delivered (£150 brand new - good old Ebay).

It picks up absolutely everything we throw at it, and it is a tough machine that has withstood bangs, drops and falling down the stairs on several occasions.

I don't think it is made anymore, so if you have the chance to pick one up, snatch their hand off!… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I think this represents poor value for money. ”

Written on: 25/07/2003 by Househusband. (1 review written)

I think this represents poor value for money.
The cleaner has only average suction with the motorhead attached - more more obvious when using one of the attachments (but then suction orifice is smaller, so suction would appear stronger).
When the wand/head is parked in the v-shaped retension slot, the cleaner feels ungainly and unstable when lifted.
The tools get in the way (when not using the extension tubes/motorhead) and bang against furniture and fittings. Although this doesn't damage… Read Full Review

Willy The Wiz's Response to 118759_Househusband.'s Review

Written on: 12/08/2007

Biggest problem is getting and installing spares. Dyson are most unhelpful and I will never buy another Dyson for this reason.

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I was forced to buy a new vacuum cleaner when my VAX...”

Written on: 06/06/2003 by Gill. (1 review written)

I was forced to buy a new vacuum cleaner when my VAX AVC died after just one year of service. The front plastic chassis had disintegrated where the motor powered brushbar was located and the insurance company decided that it was beyond economical repair. I have thick piled carpets in some of my house so a motorised brush bar is essential. All upright vacuum cleaners have a motorised brushbar so I was pretty sure that an upright belt driven brushbar vacuum was required.

My wife said that she… Read Full Review

105920_Babyboy19.'s Response to Gill.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

The engineer was not telling the truth because the DC05 Motorheads did not snap because the customer hadn't pressed in the right part, it was because the joint was just too weak to take any normal vacuuming action. I had 3, DC05 motorheads which I used properly and still had a problem with the Motorheads breaking at the joint. Dyson had been aware of this problen for some time, it was about time that they had changed the design of it. Say if it was the customers fault because they were not seperating the Motorhead properly from the wand, there would not have been any need for Dyson to change their design, but there was a natural fault with it, which caused it to break because of the weight of the Motorhead against that weak joint. Its a similar problem with the Dyson handles on the uprights which have a common problem of breaking. Dyson realised this and started making the handles out of different type of plastic. I wouldn't take too much notice of what some of these engineers come up with, the Dyson engineer who came out to my house started to chat a load of rubbish, saying that the brushbars never wear and that the belt is OK as long as the brush is rotating, I mean come on, we all know that brushes DO wear and that smooth belts which are on the Dyson do lose their efficiency after a year or so.
<br>
<br>The DC05's I had also had a problem with the cord reel, which start to slowly rewind themselves when the machine gets hot.

109914_Gill.'s Response to Gill.'s Review

Written on: 23/06/2003

Thanks for your comments on my review babyboy19.
<br>I have now lived with my vacuum cleaner for a while and would like to add the some comments as a reply to your remarks.
<br>
<br>(1) I agree with the cord rewind. The Cable is longer than most cylinder cleaners and has trouble fitting into the small allocated space when retracting. I have experienced this with almost all my vacuum cleaners and the Dyson is no exception. I've not had a problem with the cord rewinding itself as you've experienced. I sometimes have to 'encourage' the cord to rewind.
<br>
<br>(2) As routine maintenence, I clear out the hairs in my cleaners brush bar. There are two plastic tabs that rotate to open the brushbar for service. If you have done this, you can remove the second cover which reveals the motorhead drive belt. My belt was toothed, fitted onto a geared cog and not smooth as you have experienced. This could be due to the fact that mine was supplied with a 'revised' motorhead.
<br>
<br>I agree with your comment that a design is never revised unless there is a recognised problem. Fortunately (for me at least) I have the revised design, so this isnt an issue. I also agree that Engineers can and sometimes do speak a load of nonsense.
<br>
<br>The only real flaw with this little cleaner has to be the emptying process which is dusty. Lets face it, we got this cleaner and paid extra because it has a hepa filter to help us allergy sufferers. Unfortunately this hasnt been considered for those who empty the cannister.
<br>I stick firmly by my 9/10 mark

☆☆☆☆☆
Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“The Motorhead has failed thrice within 10 months from...”

Written on: 27/11/2002 by R Morrison. (1 review written)

The Motorhead has failed thrice within 10 months from new. Dyson repair mechanic can't give time of day when they will call so if both partners work it is impossible to arrange repairs. Dyson are inflexible in this respect. A repair mechanic was not available for some time and Dyson arranged to have it collected after 2 weeks of reporting faults taking a further 2 weeks to repair and return it. There is definitely a design fault in this machine. Do not buy it or your life will be a misery for… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I have been delighted with both the dyson vacuums I...”

Written on: 17/11/2002 by Brigid. (1 review written)

I have been delighted with both the dyson vacuums I have used. I have moved back to Australia from uk and am in the market for another Dyson - nothing else will do, despite the hefty price… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“We've had our Dyson DC05 Motorhead vacuum cleaner for...”

Written on: 25/09/2002 by k. (1 review written)

We've had our Dyson DC05 Motorhead vacuum cleaner for over a month now and the motorhead attachment broke on its second outing (i.e after 3 days!!!)
i called up dyson and they sent us a replacement out straight away and we received that within a few days, so the customer service from Dyson is excellent!
Other than that, the cleaner is excellent at its job and is the most powerful cleaner we have ever used...most impressive!
We still feel however that a vacuum cleaner of this price and status… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I have now had my Dyson DCO5 motorhead vacuum cleaner...”

Written on: 22/06/2002 by Tony Jarvis. (1 review written)

I have now had my Dyson DCO5 motorhead vacuum cleaner for 7 months. In that time I have broken three Motorhead Units. The point at which the Motorhead units fits to the wand is flimsy and badly designed. Although Dyson have been very good at replacing the Motorhead units there is clearly a design fault at this point. I would add that I use the machine for normal domestic use and my wife and I do not normally abuse our domestic equipment… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“A cylinder cleaner with a motorised head is a great...”

Written on: 10/06/2002 by Mark. (1 review written)

A cylinder cleaner with a motorised head is a great idea. When I saw this Dyson DC05 vacuum cleaner I thought it combined the best of both cylinders and uprights. And it was a Dyson! So I handed over the dosh and went home with my new toy.

However I feel that I was taken in by the the hype. I was impressed by the initial results, but on its second outing the motorhead broke. A common problem so it appears. This was eventually replaced. But I am now very conscious of how fragile and plasticky… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“Despite the cost we decided to go for this top of the...”

Written on: 07/03/2002 by Lee. (1 review written)

Despite the cost we decided to go for this top of the range Dyson DV05 model vacuum cleaner - in particular the motor head appealed.
We have a semi-fluff cat and as a result get very furry carpets! My old Electrolux cleaner failed to pick up all the cat hairs which quite easily become entangled in the carpet fibres.
We are also moving to a new house soon and getting top of the range carpets worth £3000 and so we decided this would be an investment to protect our investment - so to speak.
With… Read Full Review

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“I bought the Dyson DC-05 Motorhead from Vacuum...”

Written on: 07/11/2001 by thomas gasko. (1 review written)

I bought the Dyson DC-05 Motorhead from Vacuum Cleaners Direct in England. They shipped it to America and I had a special 240 volt outlet installed. I already owned a Dyson DC-04 Limited Edition upright that I purchased on my previous trip to England. I liked it and wanted a canister. I was shocked at how 'futuristic' the MotorHead looked. Like something the Jetsons would have owned. It cleans beautifully, like a dream. The carpets look great and the claim of 'no loss of suction' is 100%… Read Full Review

9671_Mike.'s Response to thomas gasko.'s Review

Written on: 16/01/2002

<br>Dyson are nothing but a gimmick, I would not waste my money on one again.
<br>I see that you are a Dyson fan, when are you going to wake up and realise that you are being ripped off.
<br>Angry Ex Dyson customer.

58837_Smarties.'s Response to thomas gasko.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2002

Everyone has their own view on the Dyson and I think it is a gimmick. You wait until your DC07 starts to get on your nerves.

Csp4.'s Response to thomas gasko.'s Review

Written on: 28/11/2002

I just purchased Dyson 07, now available from Best Buys in the U.S. This vacuum is no gimmick, unless you consider pulling more dirt from your carpet than ever before a gimmick.
Buy the Dyson! You will not regret it.

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“After my old Hoover upright died, I started looking...”

Written on: 15/10/2001 by Tony. (1 review written)

After my old Hoover upright died, I started looking around for a replacement. The Hoover was never very good at removing dog hair from carpet, so this was a prerequisite for the new cleaner.

I looked through some old issues of Choice Magazine (Australia), and they had given the Dysons (DC02 and DC03) low scores for dirt pickup.
I was surprised by this, and it put me off the brand somewhat.

Anyway, I went into a store to try the Dyson for myself. This particular store only had the 2 lower… Read Full Review

17994_Doug.'s Response to 4925_Tony.'s Review

Written on: 04/04/2002

Have owned the machine for 18 days and the cleaner now has an intermittent electrical connection on the Motorhead. Dyson cannot get an engineer out for a week to repair it. Hope this does not indicate a likely ongoing problem.

Dyson DC05 Motorhead

“At first it's great.. then you notice a few things: ”

Written on: 25/09/2001 by ZiG. (1 review written)

At first it's great.. then you notice a few things:
- Moving from hard floors to carpet left a trail of debris on the carpet.. even following Dyson recommendations about turning the brush off on hard floors.
- It's not as easy to move around as you might think, tending to get stuck on corners rather than slide round.
- I'm not too keen on seeing all the dust I've collected either.

Within 48 hours of using the cleaner it broke. The motorhead (which is what you're paying for in this model)… Read Full Review

7706_Tony.'s Response to 4373_ZiG.'s Review

Written on: 22/12/2001

To be honest with you, i think people who use and abuse their vacuum cleaners, will never be 100% happy with them, I cannot understand (as i own the exact model) how the floor head can break under extreme normal useage leaving exposed wires? and i think that if this customer treats his Miele the same then, although durable will not last long without problems arising.

Nancy Mcalary.'s Response to 4373_ZiG.'s Review

Written on: 26/05/2002

The motorhead on our new Dyson broke, leaving exposed wires, after only a couple of months. When we phoned to report it, they didn't seem the least surprised. A replacement arrived quickly in the mail. The third time after we used it however, exactly the same thing happened, with a crack appearing in the plastic of the replacement motorhead, allowing the top bit to pull off leaving the wire exposed. The vacuum cleaner wasn't "abused" and in fact, because it had happened once, we were extra-careful with it after we replaced it. Is there a design or construction problem that Dyson should be dealing with?

18962_Sally.'s Response to 4373_ZiG.'s Review

Written on: 12/04/2002

The motorhead on our Dyson also snapped off in normal use after only 2 months. Dyson have promised to send a replacement, but I suspect from their lack of surprise that this problem is not uncommon