Gamo Shadow Matic Reviews

Gamo Shadow Matic - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Gamo Shadow Matic

Gamo Shadow Matic
Gamo Shadow Matic

“Long and heavy, but accurate and powerful”

Written on: 30/06/2012 by LiveOne (1 review written)

The title says it all. I lost the 9 or 10 shot tubular magazine, which is too easy to do. I can't seem to locate a replacement mag anywhere. Well built, quality gun. It is definately an adult size gun. I would like to find a new mag if anyone knows where I can buy one… Read Full Review

“Must have gun”

Written on: 26/11/2011 by Saami11 (1 review written)

Its a superb gun,very accurate,light weight,high power,& accuray makes it all in one gun. I am using gamo match pellets and they are working excellent.No need for expensive pellets.This gun can bring down any bird/target within 20 meters with open sights.Now i prefer this gun for all purpose than my Diana 52 & 36 which are pretty heavy. I bought this from a friend who now regrets selling. SAAMI From Dubai… Read Full Review

“I have used the shadowmatic .177 for around a year now...”

Written on: 15/01/2011

I have used the shadowmatic .177 for around a year now and it has been brilliant. I gave up with the magazine a long time ago as i was using domed pellets for hunting which teneded to sheer off at the ends. Also, using it means that the scope must be higher which complicates the versitility of the scope at different ranges.

For hunting, this rifle has been great. I have been getting headshots on pigeons at up to 30yards every time. I use it with Bisley magnums which gives it a bit more of a… Read Full Review

“General: This air rifle is in one word awesome! ”

Written on: 27/04/2010

General: This air rifle is in one word awesome!
I've got this rifle in .177 for four years now and i only had to let it get repaired once because i released the barrel to fast while cocking and it slammed so hard it accedently broke the spring but i never had any other problems! I liked the truglo sights that were on but i never used them because i have a scope i removed them. The rear sight is easely removeable just remove the screws and then you've got one thing left and that is the screw… Read Full Review

“If you live in the UK and are after a gun which can...”

Written on: 07/02/2009 by A Joyce (5 reviews written)

If you live in the UK and are after a gun which can shoot bang on the legal limit accurately then buy this gun. If you are the sort of person that prefers craftsmanship over power or wants both go for air arms or the Weinreich HW95… Read Full Review

“I bought the shadowmatic 2 years ago and it is still...”

Written on: 12/10/2008

I bought the shadowmatic 2 years ago and it is still in very good shape, besides the glow in the dark sights breaking and the "magazine" also breaking it is a very good rifle… Read Full Review

“It is a great gun with high power and max precision...”

Written on: 14/08/2008 by UberPanj (1 review written)

It is a great gun with high power and max precision (for air-rifles that is).The 10 bullet magazine is great also, but you can't put sharp bullets into it: The only way to have a scope on that is to make the scope holder tighter(nearer to each other)… Read Full Review

“It is a ok rifle as it comes to multi shot but could...”

Written on: 05/08/2008

It is a ok rifle as it comes to multi shot but could perform better if did not jam so much. Light weight very accurate the only problem is that i found mine jammed a lot… Read Full Review

“i have one ant it is great ”

Written on: 21/01/2008

i have one ant it is great
i got a scope on it ant it continue to be a multi shoots gun
i just bought a smaller barrel… Read Full Review

“Great gun with open sights, although the magazine...”

Written on: 24/09/2007 by 22rim (1 review written)

Great gun with open sights, although the magazine occasionally gets jammed. I have consistently taken out possums with it at 10m. When I wanted to put a scope on it, I realised that it will become a single shot, so I didn't. Below 20m, it's great for both hunting and targets, but if you want to shoot further you need a scope. And that, will make this gun lose its most outstanding feature and become the same as other break barrel airguns… Read Full Review

390899_Sdiderman's Response to 312770_22rim's Review

Written on: 10/08/2008

You can put a scope on this gun and keep the multi load, I did this today, just put both brackets to the front of the scope and set it right at the end of the guns rails.

“I found the Shadowmatic by accident while looking for...”

Written on: 12/02/2007 by Rlhumphreys (2 reviews written)

I found the Shadowmatic by accident while looking for the Gamo Varmithunter rifle combo on the net. I have never seen the Shadowmatic in a catalog or an ad, and it's not even listed on the Gamo website. It's got to be the best kept secret in adult airguns. If they come out with this gun in .22 I will buy one of those as well.

I bought the Shadowmatic and the Varmithunter scope kit seperately and made up my own combo. Because of the location of the tubular magazine on top of the receiver… Read Full Review

1137Cguy's Response to Rlhumphreys's Review

Written on: 21/02/2007

On the Gamo website, the Gamo Shadow Matic is on current specials button, and you can find the Gamo Shadow Matic for $209, and the scope is included. It's also on the Cobra airgun website, and it costs less than on the Gamo website.

“I recommend unless you live in a free country or U.S....”

Written on: 25/11/2006 by domresc (1 review written)

I recommend unless you live in a free country or U.S. State that isn't run by Nazi's. Otherwise a .22 cal rifle is cheaper, more powerful, and accurate at longer ranges. Remember your second amendment rights!… Read Full Review

Rlhumphreys's Response to domresc's Review

Written on: 12/02/2007

A .22 is more powerful, of course, but I can shoot my Gamo Shawdowmatic in the backyard without the neighbors screaming or calling the cops. Besides, a pellet gun does not require cleaning after shooting, and pellets are really cheap.

“Gamo Shadow Matic, are very hefty and well balanced....”

Written on: 30/04/2006 by rambill (1 review written)

Gamo Shadow Matic, are very hefty and well balanced. Was going to put a scope on it but the sights are very good… Read Full Review

“I have found the Gamo Shadow matic to be very easy to...”

Written on: 21/03/2006 by metamoran (2 reviews written)

I have found the Gamo Shadow matic to be very easy to cock. I removed the fiber optic portion of the front sight since I have a scope. I also removed the rear sight completly. Just dont need them.
I wish I could remove the entire front sight assembly, but the barrell is knurled to acept the sight base.
This is the first high powered air rifle I've owned, and I am very pleased.
I do however have a problem with it jaming on the first round racked, once in a while. I am only shoothing flat… Read Full Review

Deserteaglexix's Response to metamoran's Review

Written on: 10/05/2006

Yes, I had the same problem but after shooting a while it did break in and the problem was resolved.
At least you have more luck with cocking it than I had...

“I was at first very pleased by the Gamo Shadow Matic...”

Written on: 16/01/2005 by DeserteagleXIX (6 reviews written)

I was at first very pleased by the Gamo Shadow Matic rifle, it was a similar looking rifle to the famous remington 500 series, very nice stock, very big and heavy, but it soon became more of a curse to me rather than a blessing since it was so big and I could hardly reach the the barrel, and cocking it was a bit hard, the first few times I had to wrestle with it to break it open but finally I got to do it more easilly.

But I am very pleased with it, i'm 23 years old and I thought that an adult… Read Full Review

Vilters's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 19/01/2005

I have one myself. Very good gun. The autoload system never missed a beat with RWS Meisterkuglen.
<br>Shot 1 inch groups out to 30 yards with a 4x32 scope on it. Personally I don't think it is too big. Compared to my Diana 48 it is a featherweight.

Domresc's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 25/11/2006

I am a big guy, 6' 2", and I find the gun may be a challenge for smaller shooters that want to shoot unsupported. It works flawlessly, and shoots sub 1" groups for me (an average shooter) at 30 yards. I have a 4x scope, and I have not shot it using the true glo sights since first purchasing about a year ago. It also seems to be about as loud as my 22 cal rifle. The 10 shot mag is nice to have, so you don't have to keep reloading after each shot. The Gamo Shadow Matic is more expensive than many 22 cal rifles, so other than ammo cost, and maybe if you are a city dweller, I don't really see the point.
<br>
<br>I highly recommend the gun, especially if you live in a country or a U.S. state that is run by nazi's.

Written on: 10/05/2006

I have little experience with PCP powered guns but I think the Crosman Repeatair 1077 is a really decent one and comes in PCP powered variants as well, it looks similar to the Remington 597 .22LR rifle and has a similar magazine, I never shot it but it seems like a good rifle, I don't know anything about the hornet.
I'd like to comment on my original review based upon recent experience.
-Heavy cocking (30+ pounds)
Gotten used to it and is quite easy now, trick is to brace the stock on your hip while cocking the barrel.
-A little heavy, normally not an issue, but accuracy degrades after cocking the rifle
What I meant with it degrades is your arm gets tired lol, but it doesn't really degrade though, oops, it's not that heavy, just bulky.
-A little big for small statured shooters (like me)
Gotten used to it, it's a long rifle, bigger than even most firearms.
-Only accepts flat-head target ammo in the magazine, other pellets had to be breach loaded...
I discovered that it can also be loaded with round pellets (NOT BB's!) and any other pellet that is about as long as a match pellet.
-Occasionally missfires...
At first it did have some problems but I believe it was my own fault, I had no problems with it anymore.
I broke my stock since I screwed too much with the screws and the synthetic stock cracked, the screws were too tight, I didn't know this would happen.
So this rifle is absolutely great, all problems I have had with it were to blame on my self.

Sharpshooter0220's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 08/05/2006

thank you very much for this review but i think i going to get a pcp. what should i get, it has to be multi shot i am thinking hornet m ? ? ? ?

Written on: 06/05/2006

First of all, just to avoid confusion, this is a spring powered single shot, it's not a semi-automatic, it loads pellets automatically when it's cocked and the round is chambred automatically.
It has a tubular magazine on top of the receiver that forces a pellet in the pellet loading port which is forced down when the gun is fully cocked, the loading port alligns with the air nozzle.
I hope this helps.

Scoobyiowa's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 03/05/2006

Im thinking of buying a shadowmatic for light pest control and targets, I don't understand how the loading system works though. Also is there another rifle that is better but around the same price??

Written on: 08/03/2006

I considered the same Crosman rifle without the airsource, I wanted the CO2 powered rifle.
But I figured the Shadow would be cheaper in the long run and would have much less problems with seal expiring.
The shadow also have better power and will accept more types of pellets since it can be manually loaded with magnums and other oversized pellets bigger than match pellets.

Realp3's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 06/03/2006

The choice is up to you. I chose the Shadowmatic because it produces it´s own propellant. Anytime, everywhere. Like all springers, it has quite some recoil though, more than my .22 rimfire rifles IMO.
I had bad luck with my Crosman 1077 so I am probably prejudiced. I guess I am a springer guy at heart ....

Sharpshooter0220's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 06/03/2006

hi i want to get a airsource 1077 fire 12 shots in a blink of a second its very light cheap BUT its only about 6 and half foot of pounds what should i get ? ? ? the 1077 or the gamo

Written on: 20/02/2006

Sometimes certain types of pellets don't feed correctly, the gamo match pellets work best on the Matic system.
I ussually use Gamo Pro Magnums and load them manually (which is great about the matic).
However, I had a BIG problem with the stock lately, it CRACKED! when I cocked it I heard a loud crack and part of the hand guard broke off, super glue works fine, but after I shoot the recoil makes the part fall off again, I emailed Gamo without any response.
I have it fixed with some duct tape, but I refuse to pay a good 30 dollars on a new stock, I think I am just gonna save for a real gun now.

Onz's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 29/11/2005

The differences are that the CFX fires 1000fps yet requires a pellet to be placed for every shot. The CFX is more expensive and, in my point of view, looks abit better (don't ask me why). And thats about it, i think the price diefference is down to quality and reliability, as the shadowmatic may be more vunerable to errors because its a repeater yet the CFX is not.

Written on: 28/11/2005

Shadowmatic officially fires at 850fps, it's erroneously advertised as 1000fps on gamo USA site, this is not the case, however, when dry-firing (firing without a round), the air exists with probably over 1000fps since it produces a loud crack like a 1000fps gun.
<br>
<br>My Shadowmatic took about 1500 rounds through it till it started firing really accurately, I got used to the weight (I am used to .22LR carbines my self) and can shoot quite accurately with it, I did have to replace the fragile fibreoptic sights on it, but I got some new ones at a good price which are better than the original ones.
<br>
<br>I have heard good things about the CFX, what are the main differences?

Vilters's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 31/10/2005

This is a simple one.
<br>Want to hit your taget? Every time? Buy the CFX.
<br>Want to have fun, shoot fast? The shadowmatic.
<br>For the CFX; the speed is about 850 with Kodiacs or H@N Baracudas.
<br>The schadowmatic is slower by some 50-70 ft.

Onz's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 15/10/2005

Hi, I'm interested in buying the shadowmatic but I hardly know anything about it, apart from it having 1000fps and that 9 pellets could be shot out of it without having to put a pellet in for each shot.~
<br>Firstly, I would like to know whether the shadowmatic DOES shoot at 1000fps (as it says it does in most airgun dealers but not the gamo website (The gamo website says that it shoots at 850fps)). And also, can anyone tell me what dry shooting is please? Oh and 1 more thing, I am deciding between the Gamo CFX and the Gamo shadowmatic, which one shall I buy? Taking in note that I'm after power more than anything else.
<br>thx: onz.

Bertie's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 07/10/2005

Many thanks for that Deserteagle - I had a look at your link and I would think that any sensible question on Gamo guns was fully answered. Brilliant site!
<br>
<br>I remember a BSA Airsporter - can't remember which model - had a nylon "buffer" behind the piston head to cushion it should it be dry fired but I don't know whether BSA endorsed dry-firing. Gamo certainly seems to which I think is quite a testament to their design and the use of modern materials.
<br>
<br>I learn something every day on ReviewCentre!
<br>
<br>Safe and productive shooting friend.

Written on: 05/10/2005

From the gamo site:
<br>
<br>"Can the GAMO rifles be dry fired?
<br> <br>Yes. The GAMO rifles can be dry fired."
<br>
<br>I was quite suprised about this, but dry firing cause no adverse effects.
<br>http://www.gamo.com/?ID=26#link6
<br>
<br>I guess they are just safe to be dry fired oddly enough.

Dchandle's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 03/10/2005

I've purchased a shadow matic and a silver shadow supreme. I've had both guns for one week. The silver shadow supreme is a better gun but not by much. I've hit 18 out of 20 shots with in 1 and 1/2 inch from 70 feet with no problem and that's without supporting the gun on something. I can't wait to try it from 40 to 50 yards. I hope the scope is powerfull enough to keep my shots tight and on line. I love the 10 shots that I get this is an outstanding feature on this gun. I would buy this gun over again but I will have to say the Silver shadow supreme is just that supreme.

Bertie's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 26/07/2005

Deserteagle.....does the manufacturer state that the gun can be safely dry fired or do you mean you got away with doing it a few times?
<br>
<br>Dry firing ANY spring-powered airgun can cause internal damage; the severity increasing with the power of the gun.

Realp3's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 11/06/2005

I own a Shadowmatic as well. IMO, it is not a target rifle but a great plinker with good potential for pest control where it is legal.
Like most airguns it certainly is very precise but the relatively low weight makes it harder to control than a PCA or CO2 gun. Springers definitely have recoil.
I like mine, great rugged stock, and a very practical safety. The only complaint is I need much more ammo for it than for my single shots .... but hey, I can live with that.
My front sight broke loose as well as my nephew banged the barrel against the shooting bench .... dang plastic. Besides that, the TruGlo sights are great!

Written on: 16/03/2005

After shooting with it at the range I noticed that firing it unsupported at targets is VERY challenging, the recoil throws me off quite easilly (unsupported) and the recoil wont allow scopes to sit on it tightly for very long.
<br>
<br>Acurracy is absolutely wonderful while in a supported position, but firing it unsupported is quite difficult beyond the 10 yard line.
<br>
<br>in the end, I would not recommend this gun after-all if you want a target rifle, i'd recommend a CO2 gun or a gun that doesn't produce recoil like this gun...
<br>
<br>Cocking it is something I got used to now, I can easilly do it now, but I had another problem with it, the fiber optic site broke off of it, I don't even know what happened to it but I assume the rifle fell at some point...

Wharris's Response to DeserteagleXIX's Review

Written on: 04/03/2005

Go for a CO2 gun like a walther lever action if you find the cocking hard.