Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router Reviews

• Ease of Set Up

Media Gallery for Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I bought a Netgear DG834Gv1 54G wireless modem router...”

Written on: 09/09/2010 by Walks Far Man (32 reviews written)

I bought a Netgear DG834Gv1 54G wireless modem router when I first took out a broadband package with my ISP some 7 - 8 years ago. It has proven to be fairly easy to setup and will do it's best to keep connection when there's a drop in connection. This is more of a problem with the ISP than the router. I was given a version 2 of this router by a friend who just couldn't get his to work. All I did was to hard reset it using the pin-hole on the back plate, rebooted it and set it up just like my… Read Full Review

“DG834G V5: ”

Written on: 08/09/2010

DG834G V5:
Easy to set up. It worked great for a few weeks; then connectivity issues started :-(
Router states that it is connected to ADSL and shows poll statistics, all physical indicators point to a connected router, however connectivity is non-existent until the router is rebooted.
Not using any 'special' features (DHCP, Wireless, MAC filters etc..).
**ICT Technician who would not recomend this router to my customers!… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I love this modem /router and recomend it to all my...”

Written on: 25/08/2010 by lhqcxg1 (9 reviews written)

I love this modem /router and recomend it to all my friends and family. It just works… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“If you want to use WDS don't buy this product. The...”

Written on: 24/06/2010 by a064973 (3 reviews written)

If you want to use WDS don't buy this product. The on-line manuals indicate support for this functionality but it is not supported on the latest firmware.

In addition it continually connected at a considerably lower speed than my 4 year old Ozenda router. 7Mb compared to 8Mb.

It is easy to set up and use but from my experience it "doesn't do what it says on the box" and I was disappointed to see it not connecting at the same speed as my old modem/router.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Not had a problem with overheating. This router runs...”

Written on: 12/03/2010

Not had a problem with overheating. This router runs very cool especially when set up vertically (ie with feet), unlike the D-Link DSL-G604T it replaced, which ran hot and was frequently unreliable. I bought this brand as it was recommended by an IT professional who sees plenty of them. Sound advice, from my own experience. And dead easy to set up and secure. Recommended? - definitely… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Had my Netgear for some 2 years now no problems to...”

Written on: 24/07/2009

Had my Netgear for some 2 years now no problems to mention only me a bit thick over setting up but found the Help Desk very helpful.Looks tidy and is left on 24 hours and appears very quick… Read Full Review

Richardviled's Comment

Written on: 25/09/2009

Nice reviews, I agree, this product is of high quality and totally reliable.

☆☆☆☆☆
Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I have now had 2 replaced so am on my 3rd. Each one...”

Written on: 15/07/2008 by Sogden (1 review written)

I have now had 2 replaced so am on my 3rd. Each one acts the same way. After being switched on for 3 hrs it appears to overheat and lose its connection. Therefore I do not recommend the Netgear DG834G… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to Sogden's Review

Written on: 27/11/2011

Try not to stand it on the toaster...IT MIGHT NOT OVERHEAT SO QUICKLY THEN :-)

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Great router, quite easy to setup , picks up LLC-Based...”

Written on: 05/04/2008 by gdk2008uk (1 review written)

Great router, quite easy to setup , picks up LLC-Based and not the fact it is supposed to be VC-Based (VC-Mux), also when using very long WPA-2SK keys laptops cant connect. However I well recommend this Netgear Wireless Modem firewall router… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Sky broadband gave us this router when we signed up....”

Written on: 27/02/2008

Sky broadband gave us this router when we signed up. It worked straight out of the box. In 6 months, I think I've only had to reset the thing once. Compared to a lot of other home routers, that's excellent.
Things I miss though: a QoS (quality of service) feature for prioritising internet gaming traffic. The ability to kick an IP address from the DHCP server.
These are reasonably advanced functions though. I've worked with networks a fair bit and I like to have lots of toys available.

Port… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“This product is excellent. I got it working straight...”

Written on: 17/12/2007 by anthmorton (1 review written)

This product is excellent. I got it working straight away and was very happy until...... I Found loads of "dead spots" in the house. It seemed to work sometimes and then not others. In the end I have figured out what is the issue. I use a video sender from my Sky box to another TV in the house. Turned this off and hey presto - wireless working everywhere. I guess I need to check on which frequency it was sending and try to get them on separate. Anyway - one to watch out for. I now have my main… Read Full Review

Troublesome1's Response to anthmorton's Review

Written on: 30/12/2009

Hi,
<br/>I am, trying to do exactly what you have done.....help!
<br/>
<br/>I have already got my 2 home PC's on a wired connection (fab up & running no problems) however I have for Xmas purchased 2 laptops that are wireless & wish to connect them to my DG834G Netgear Wireless-G Moden Router I already have up & running to my 2 wired PC's.
<br/>How on earth do I do this I am at the end of my teather.....
<br/>If anyone can help let me know...thanks Jay!

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“The Netgear DG834G is expensive but worthwhile...”

Written on: 18/10/2007 by i am ubuntu (2 reviews written)

The Netgear DG834G is expensive but worthwhile (quality obviously comes at a price)… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Overall, the DG834G is excellent for the home user and...”

Written on: 06/05/2007 by networkguru (1 review written)

Overall, the DG834G is excellent for the home user and home office based worker accessing work via VPN… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Netgear is poor and the moment i got another brand...”

Written on: 11/04/2007 by adi600 (1 review written)

Netgear is poor and the moment i got another brand everything worked perfectly. It been 3 months and haven't had one problem… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“Having just gone online and performed a number of...”

Written on: 22/10/2006 by j4jono (1 review written)

Having just gone online and performed a number of searches, I have just realised that I am not the only person having problems with these routers/modems.

I acquired the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router as part of a package when I subscribed to Sky Broadband. I have had nothing but trouble with it since I set it up. I have now followed the advice I found on the web, and I have attached the "feet" to enable the router to stand on one end. Allegedly, this will cure the… Read Full Review

Written on: 19/11/2006

I've never known someone to have an overheating problem. Therefore I think the problem is with the way you're treating the router than with the router itself. For example, have you got a lot of cables plugged into or near to the router that will be producing strong magnetic waves, and therefore cause a struggle for the equipment within the router; have you placed the router in a closed space; have you got the router near to any heat sources?
<br/>
<br/>Looking for simple solutions like these should help, because I think it's awful that you're the FIRST person to have to deal with overheating problems from the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router.

J4Jono's Response to j4jono's Review

Written on: 06/02/2008

Thanks for the support Achinton. I was starting to think I was being victimized by a group of Net gear buffs! ;-)
<br/>
<br/>Seriously, my wireless links all go really sluggish and the only way of curing it is to turn the router off for a while and back on again. Works perfectly for a good while after that. It is also on 24/7 apart from these brief rests.

Written on: 05/02/2008

I recommend to claim from the warranty

Achinton's Response to j4jono's Review

Written on: 04/02/2008

I have exactly the same problem, it requires resetting at least twice an hour. The modem sits clear of any obstruction, but gets very hot. The problem has existed from day one, but I am not convinced that heat is the real problem.

Written on: 12/03/2007

Oh, I forgot to add: my router&#039;s on 24/7, and there&#039;s not one time in all of that when it overheats!

151170_Fatboyslim's Response to j4jono's Review

Written on: 11/03/2007

I have the exact same model AND I NEVER have any overheating problems, and mine also sits horizontally and is on for 6 hours or more at a time. I do think that your problem could stem from lack of ventilation, there are also ventilation holes along the top edge and the sides which you may have inadvertently blocked.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I bought 2 of these as they seemed good value. So good...”

Written on: 11/10/2006 by nikki123wilson (1 review written)

I bought 2 of these as they seemed good value. So good in fact, I bought them because I couldn't not. I did not even have a home for 1 of them, but I gave it to my mum in the end. She had a Speedtouch 330 modem which kept kicking her offline, and the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router solved that problem straight away. I love them, and I am about to buy another. They are so simple to set up and they work very well. Good wireless reception as well.

I love it! Can someone… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“For months now I've been struggling with my BT 105...”

Written on: 28/08/2006 by glenduncanscott (14 reviews written)

For months now I've been struggling with my BT 105 Voyager ADSL modem using the Eciadsl Linux driver, but with the repeated syncronisation problems, disconnections and general unpredictability I decided it was time to invest in an Ethernet modem. Then I discovered the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router on Amazon.

This is an awesome piece of all in one hardware, that's a real dream to configure through Firefox/IE (great idea). It's reliable, secure and fast. I only wish… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I am extremely proud of being the owner of a wonderful...”

Written on: 10/08/2006 by kiyawhite (56 reviews written)

I am extremely proud of being the owner of a wonderful Netgear DG384G wireless router. I've only had it a few days, but I can safely say that nobody will regret this buy!

Since we are good customers, AOL decided to give us a free wireless router as a little present. This definitely wasn't a cheap present! The router itself is worth over £65!

The router is both a wireless connector and an Ethernet switchboard. Therefore you've got two types of good routers in one! The wireless signals… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I purchased the Netgear DG834G in November 2005 as my...”

Written on: 19/03/2006 by Wally27 (10 reviews written)

I purchased the Netgear DG834G in November 2005 as my Belkin Router decided to pack up 2 months out of warranty.

Connected it up with no problems (I am not the most experienced Networker!) It was much easier than the Belkin.

It appears to have a good range but I am unable to test it at the moment as my laptop in for repair.

There's not really any more you can say ..I plugged it in and it has worked ever since… Read Full Review

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I've just upgraded to the Netgear DG834GT, and I was...”

Written on: 22/02/2006 by ghostuk (3 reviews written)

I've just upgraded to the Netgear DG834GT, and I was blown away - 4 ports, wireless super smart - what else can I say?… Read Full Review

Carl Groombridge's Response to ghostuk's Review

Written on: 23/02/2006

I have one and I agree they are great! very useful tool for wireless conection. The service was very good aswell.(I had to contact the company as the unit needed extra info for my NTL line)
NETGEAR are great!

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router

“I have owned the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL...”

Written on: 21/02/2006 by rajcr (1 review written)

I have owned the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router for more than 3 months to date. It's fantastic, and it is easy to install, though I was misguided by AOL's customer care initially, it's on since installation. It is excellent, great value for money, and it works throughout my house. I bought this as there was no telephone point in my study room, and I have no regrets. I have recommended this router to many friends… Read Full Review

Kiyawhite's Response to rajcr's Review

Written on: 06/08/2006

Is this router strong enough to, if I wanted, provide a wireless connection to my computer for my neighbour? My neighbour, of course, is only next door.