Hotpoint FDW60 Reviews

Other
Height: 85 cm
Width: 60 cm
Depth: 60 cm

“HOTPOINT RECALL FDW2 FDW6 and FDW65A DEATHTRAPS AT...”

Written on: 22/04/2013 by MARTINSQUIRES1 (1 review written)

finally hotpoint indesit have issued a recall notice on this fire hazard it was only a matter of time but i am disgusted that it took 85 incidents that any one of could have been FATAL, especially knowing they have been aware for a long TIME… Read Full Review

Magfo's Response to MARTINSQUIRES1's Review

Written on: 09/05/2013

Do you know how old these dishwashers date back to? I think my model is a FDW60P, it is 4 years old and it recently flooded and we've had to buy a replacement. I just wondered if it was same one that has been recalled, if we were in danger of this fire hazard and should we have been contacted about it?

Martinsquires1's reply to Magfo's Comment

Written on: 09/05/2013

Hi You can find information regarding the recalled machines here:
[removed]
The sticker on the inside of your door should contain a serial number you can check that against the link above, I hope this helps

Cookedd's Response to MARTINSQUIRES1's Review

Written on: 23/05/2014

I had my dishwasher FDW60 for years with no problems and it was an excellent one i have to say but Hotpoint sent me a letter about the fire hazard so called them and they offered me a replacement at half the price.

Got the new one called Hotpoint FDEB31010P at a cost of £108.46 when delivered looks cheap and tacky and electric wire a lot shorted so had trouble plugging it in to the existing plug (I have advised Hotpoint of both issues and awaiting a response)

D Cooke 23/05/2014

Lisarobs123's Response to MARTINSQUIRES1's Review

Written on: 27/09/2013

Wish I knew this mine went on fire in August we have lost everything and are homeless you never think this will happen to you .

Martinsquires1's reply to Lisarobs123's Comment

Written on: 02/10/2013

I am very sorry to hear this I wish the manufacturers would take responsibility for their faults and publicise this more before human life is lost. Unfortunately at the moment there is no Governing body that deals with this, I am doing my best to change things

Boxshiftingman's reply to Martinsquires1's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2014

not sure that's correct. just found a press release detailing the problem. Only searches as i received a letter from the company waning me that my dishwashers was as risk. the engineer from the company turned up and checked mine and fitted a new part for free. He said he's been to a few, but the main problem was that customers ignore the press warning and don't respond to the warning letter.

Storalution's reply to Boxshiftingman's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2014

Hotpoint knew of problems with this machine a long time before going public indeed 6 months prior to going public they wrote to people on their records only targeting 10% why wait 6 months before informing everyone. It is not solely their fault they stick to the guidelines or face a hefty £5000 fine that's the joke.... indeed when Hotpoint published their latest product recall on another dishwasher that's setting on fire they only had to place a advert in only two papers for only one day and a small piece hidden away on their website. Thankfully when other organisations get involved the publicity rises. One day I will reveal all my findings but cannot at this time.

“Fire hazard”

Written on: 18/03/2013 by Dundee1963 (1 review written)

Fire hazard. A fire starred in the door panel this morning fortunately we were in the kitchen and had a fire extinguisher so no damage to our home. Seems this is not an unusual fault with this dishwasher. … Read Full Review

“HOTPOINT DISHWASHER (FDW60) FIRE IN CIRCUT BOARD IN DOOR”

Written on: 01/03/2013 by hotpointdishwasher (1 review written)

Hi viewers, we have a Hotpoint Dishwasher FDW60; and we recently experienced a fire in the house caused but a loose connection in the circuit board within the loading door. this type of fire could of caused a significant damage to the kitchen interior, and also could of injured 7 members of our family that live in this house. we have two very young children that could of got seriously injured or could have died due to this outrageous fire. I also think that these serious matters should be taken… Read Full Review

“Terrible machine terrible customer service”

Written on: 21/01/2013

Bought this dishwasher machine a few years back, I had problems within the first year with the circuit board which they replaced. Just over a year later ( 1 week) same problem circuit board burning out. Hotpoint claim their replacement parts are guaranteed a year and they will replace faulty parts free of charge if the same problem occurs. First person at call centre said that as its over the year I would have to pay £80 for the engineer to call out. After my insistence she agreed as it was… Read Full Review

“the fdw60 ruined my house”

Written on: 11/01/2013

I moved to an old property 6 years ago. It has six bedrooms and numerous other rooms and is full of old wooden beems. Shortly after moving in I bought a new Hotpoint FDW60 dishwasher. To be fair it has been reliable up until three weeks before Christmas when it caught fire. Normally the dishwasher is put on at night when we go to bed. As luck would have it on this particular day my wife put it on before she went shopping. Two hours later she came back to drop off the shopping before collecting… Read Full Review

Firealarm's Comment

Written on: 15/01/2013

Had this appliance been repaired under an insurance policy? I ask because I have had a similar experience.

Colinbrad's Comment

Written on: 27/04/2013

Hi you can read my comment re the fire in our house below, ours caught fire on 3rd March 2012 and resulted in the house smoke damaged same as yours we were out of the house four and a half months if you wish to contact me my email is colinatcolinbradshaw.co.uk spelt like this as they remove email adresses

Lisarobs123's Comment

Written on: 27/09/2013

Hi both same as happen to me what has hotpoint treated you like ?

“Dangerous!”

Written on: 06/11/2012 by Joffnun0172 (1 review written)

It stopped working shortly after the warranty ran out. Looked up possible faults and to see what the flashing lights meant and stumbled upon people having possible fires with there machine comming from the front door. Being a qualified and experienced electrical engineer I stripped the front door apart to find the control panel circuit board was black and "crispy" signs of electrical arcing! Did a bit of digging and found out that hotpoint is part of GE or general electric who have had a large… Read Full Review

Davidtownsend's Response to Joffnun0172's Review

Written on: 13/11/2012

Hi. Do you still have the PCB? I am the fire investigator who kicked off the public awareness of this machine. Indesit are still dragging their heels on it so any further evidence will be most welcome.
Please call me any time on 07708 053541
David Townsend
IFIC Forensics

Roblaffan's reply to Davidtownsend's Comment

Written on: 30/11/2012

Exact same thing here.I still have the charred pcb board,
I'm living in ireland.
Thanks

Winnerbrian's reply to Davidtownsend's Comment

Written on: 11/12/2012

I have just received a letter today from Hotpoint for a free repair to this particular model.Unfortunately 18 months ago this particular model set on fire causing extensive damage to my kitchen/dining room.I had to have the fire brigade out due to the dishwasher been well alight before i knew.I dread to think if i hadn't been in at the time what the rest of my house would have been like.The fire brigade said "the fire had started on the front control panel and i should get in touch with the manufacturer".Unfortunately i didn't get in touch with Hotpoint...thought they would just fob me off.Think i might write to Hotpoint now,especially with having a report from the fire service.

Joffnun0172's reply to Winnerbrian's Comment

Written on: 12/12/2012

I have also just recieved the letter from hotpoint and they have replaced the board, too little too late for some! Hopefully pcb number 3 is a good one, might just check my fire alarm before I go bed...

Joffnun0172's reply to Davidtownsend's Comment

Written on: 12/12/2012

The original pcb went in the bin a while ago, but shortly after writing this review I recieved a letter from hotpoint admitting in very rare situations the pcb could pose a fire risk and are undertaking a voluntary replacment as a precaution. They have now replaced it for free however the engineer placed the old board in the bin, it was faulty before they turned up I just never told them so that I could get a free repair, but I have fished the board out it is black and crispy not as bad as the first one. If it is still usefull to you your welcome to it but I am guessing that as hotpoint are now acting upon it then its of no interest.
Regards
Jon

Tastebud's reply to Davidtownsend's Comment

Written on: 01/02/2013

nothing to help you but just to let you know i had a massive house fire caused by hotpoint dish washer FDW20 control panel fault , i am currently awaiting a court date so far hotpoint has offered us £30,000 out of court settlement

Poochas's reply to Tastebud's Comment

Written on: 19/04/2013

Hi, I also had a fire caused by this dishwasher with a lot of damage. Did you go to a solicitor to challenge Hotpoint over this, Thanks

Robelst's Response to Joffnun0172's Review

Written on: 10/12/2012

Eek! I only Googled my machine to find out its size and then came across this article. I have had mine since late 2005 and to be honest have been quite impressed so far with its build quality and performance. I usually run it over night or even switch it on before I go out for a day or two.
Given the great number of fires with this machine there seems little doubt about the potential danger and I am no longer very comfortable using it.
I wonder if using faster/lower-temperatuires Quick- or Eco wash (which I always do) reduces the risk although if it is actually a PCB overheating then I guess than won't make much difference...

Joffnun0172's reply to Robelst's Comment

Written on: 12/12/2012

I have been through 2 pcb boards both black and crispy but luckily no fire but looking at the boards I can see how it could be possible its melted plastic inside and the wiring insulation has been burned. Hotpoint have now wrote to me with a free replacment programme maybe worth your while checking whether your machine is eligible for piece of mind.

Davidtownsend's reply to Joffnun0172's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2012

Do you still have the PCBs? If so could you send them to me?

Roblaffan's reply to Davidtownsend's Comment

Written on: 20/12/2012

I cannot fault hotpoint,They sent an engineer out to inspect my dish washer and i asked for a replacement instead of a repair.After a call an hour later i spoke with a very nice man who has arranged for my damaged dish washer to be collected and a new one delivered.Thank you hot point for a speedy resolution to this problem

Tafflass's Response to Joffnun0172's Review

Written on: 24/11/2012

hi i just cannot believe im reading this i have had a massive house fire the same dishwasher was also the cause of the fire also a faulty control panel , i am currently awaiting a court date taking hotpoint to court liability claim

Winnerbrian's reply to Tafflass's Comment

Written on: 11/12/2012

same here.I am going to write to Hotpoint tomorrow.

“Hotpoint FDW60 FIRE”

Written on: 24/10/2012 by JasonStevenson (1 review written)

We came downstairs this morning to find the kitchen consumed by smoke, the house soon filled with a pungent electrical burning smell. We had done what we normally do and set our FDW60 dishwasher on start delay to come on at 03:00 this morning and found that something in the dishwasher has caught fire. Now 14 hours later and the smell is still in the house. The dishwasher is now outside out of harms way. We just think we are very lucky, had we set it to start earlier in the night we might not… Read Full Review

“Hotpoint Dishwasher FDW60 fire!”

Written on: 16/10/2012 by Shellybhaigh (1 review written)

We have just literately had our Hotpoint Dishwasher FDW60 set on fire an hour ago. If it had not been for us being in the house I dread to think of the outcome. The machine made a buzzing sound and within minutes fire was coming from the start button area. The plastic has melted and our house still smells of fumes. Reading these reviews makes for a scary read and we must act on this. I think we should go to trading standards and re-visit Watch Dog – tell us what we need to do before someone… Read Full Review

Shellybhaigh's Response to Shellybhaigh's Review

Written on: 17/10/2012

Hi - i have reported this to:

Indesit Company UK Ltd.
Morley Way, Peterborough
PE2 9JB
Tel: 01733 568989

Please call and log your issue i am expecting a call back within 4 hours. Ill post as to the outcome of this call. Shellybhaigh

Shellybhaigh's reply to Shellybhaigh's Comment

Written on: 23/10/2012

Having had an engineer’s visit (2 days after the incident) we are having a new dishwasher delivered this week.
The engineer was understanding but had never seen this type of incident before! He did a full investigating and wrote out a full report. Within an hour of his visit I had a call from Indiset and a new replacement was on order. I cannot complain about the service I received but I feel that this is because this machine is under investigation. I have reported it to the trading standards and will be passing photos onto (name removed) who is on this review centre as he is compiling a portfolio of issues and incidents. We have a had a lucky escape and I hope that trading standards act upon this asap and a recall is sent out on this type of dishwasher before more incidents happen.

Neiluserec's reply to Shellybhaigh's Comment

Written on: 27/12/2012

We have had our FDW60 for many years but used it less than once a week. It recently emitted banging and popping noises along with burning smells. We will call indesit.

“Hotpoint FDW60 fire”

Written on: 10/10/2012 by lfckev (1 review written)

we bought a hotpoint aquarius fdw60g in 2007 on delivery there was a dent in the door so this had to be replaced also 2 months later the heater was faulty and was replaced under warranty.on the 28/04/2009 my wife and four children were upstairs getting ready for bed when the smoke alarms went off my 11 year old daughter went to investigate and was confronted by thick black smoke she shouted my wife and told her.my wife had to get my 3 year old daughter and 5 month old son out of the bath and… Read Full Review

“FIRE HAZARD FOR SURE”

Written on: 05/10/2012 by fowksy (1 review written)

Further to my previous comments on here, can i ask if everyone who has suffered a fire as a result of this item, has reported it to Hotpoint (indesit) as i now have an engineer coming to see me next week. When i asked if they had had many similar calls he told me no it was very rare. I advised i had read over 60 similar reviews and he didn't really comment. Is there a cover up of some sort i wonder????… Read Full Review

“HOTPOINT FDW60 DISHWASHER FIRE HAZARD PLEASE HELP ME”

Written on: 11/09/2012 by FDW60 (2 reviews written)

HOW MANY MORE HOTPOINT FDW60 DISHWASHER FIRES WILL THERE BE BEFORE SOMETHING IS DONE. I AM TRYING TO BUILD A PORTFOLIO OF INCIDENTS PLEASE SEND ANY INFO TO hartley@2050group.co.uk ALL EMAILS WILL BE DEALT WITH IN THE STRICTEST CONFIDENCE. PLEASE READ THE REST OF THE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE WE MUST DO SOMETHING QUICKLY. I AM DOING THIS AFTER SUFFERING MYSELF WITH ONE OF THESE MACHINES. THE INFORMATION I HAVE ALREADY DISCOVERED IS VERY FRIGHTENING… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/10/2012

our FDW60 caught fire last night, luckily i was in although although alot of smoke damage no -one thankfully was hurt and the firebrigade were tremedous. However i have numerous times turned my diswasher on as l'm leaving the house and only for the fact that i forgot yesterday, i would be homeless god forbid dead. I have read a few comments and realise this seems to be a common fault after appx 5yrs, ours is 5 1/2!!! i'm am absolutely distraught that this can happen!!! any suggestions on what my next course of action should be :_((((

Written on: 05/10/2012

I have managed to get through to indesit customer services who are coming out to inspect on wednesday. When i asked if they'd had any other incident of a similar nature, i was told " no it was very rare" i advised that i had read almost 60 reviews similar to mine to which replied "oh really"!

hi karen try 08448 242 526 i'm in a queue

Karen71's Response to FDW60's Review

Written on: 05/10/2012

What a nightmare- Hotpoint is now under Indecit. Called the number, selected the option to talk to somebody, each time it advises I am being transferred I get the engaged tone!

Written on: 05/10/2012

FDW60 how do i contact you?

Written on: 05/10/2012

OMG, thank God you checked on here! what on earth is going on!!! so far i have emailed BBC Watchdog, Hotpoint direct and Which.....I think if this is not put out to the public immediately someone is going to loose their life.:-( oh and i have also put it on my status on FB in the hope that people will forward the information amongst their friends, it's so scary.

Karen71's Response to FDW60's Review

Written on: 04/10/2012

Think I also have just had a lucky escape! Dishwasher has just strted making a buzzing noise, I opened it and smells like something has burnt out. Turnt it off and logged online to try and find some information- shocked at what I have found, guess it is about 5 years old and I shall be phoning Hotpoint in the morning

Fdw60's Response to FDW60's Review

Written on: 04/10/2012

Hi If you contact me, I will pass on the contacts that I have been involved with

“Hotpoint Aquarius fire ”

Written on: 02/09/2012 by May2901 (1 review written)

Like a few posts - our hotpoint Aquarius caught fire to day, whilst I and my partner were out. Luckily for us out cleaner was in and litrally saved the house and whilst we have some damage to the kitchen we feel very lucky. Tho after reding these posts I cannot understand why there is no recall . Someone could have died in anyone on these fires. We brought ours 5 years ago - seems to be a pattern here… Read Full Review

“I would buy again!”

Written on: 31/07/2012

I have had a Hotpoint Aquarius DW60 since 2005 and have NEVER had a single problem with it, it has been used every day and still looks brand new, I am reluctantly having to sell it as we are having a new kitchen fitted with integral appliances, and believe me, I cannot find another that is the same qualiinessential mine, the trays and cutlery baskets in the new models are cheap in comparison. I am totally surprised at all the other reviews… Read Full Review

“Hotpoin FDW60 Dishwasher set on fire”

Written on: 19/07/2012 by storalution (1 review written)

Please if you have one of these ask hotpoint to come and check it is safe or ask a qualified Electrician to check the console as ours set on fire. I do not want anyone to be killed as a result of these machines. Please read the rest of the reviews on this site and you might be as shocked as I am. Ours set on fire on the 02/07/2012 please contact martin@storalution.co.uk if you have had a similar experience. On my model the Flextronics console/module set on fire, this console is fitted on other… Read Full Review

“Great and reliable”

Written on: 20/04/2012

FDW60P Dishwasher. Well i have had this appliance over 5 years now, yes i have had engineers out but as i purchased it from John Lewis and had their 2 year guarantee that was covered and then i did 3 years warranty and that was cheap with John Lewis i have no complaints. I have new baskets x 2, new control board, new back hose as tray was not fitting properly due to a split, new soap dispensar drawer and now the door catch has gone. I use mine every day at night, no problems. I rang John… Read Full Review

“WHY HAVE HOTPOINT NOT RECALLED THIS PRODUCT”

Written on: 14/04/2012 by LISA6D (1 review written)

HOTPOINT FDW60P purchased this model in march 2008.Had also purchase the extended warranty had engineer out a couple of times for dashboard and bottom basket replace due to rust ,the cutley basket split, the warranty expired on 20/03/12 as the reviews always left food or residue on plates and pans.THEN ON 23/03/12 put it on as normal and went to bed our dog woke us within a hour barking,the dishwasher was on FIRE i've lost everything in the kitchen.If it wasn't for the dog i dread to think… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to LISA6D's Review

Written on: 19/04/2012

Sorry top hear your problem. Tonight 18th April 2012 my Hotpoint Aquarius Dishwasher went on fire. Heard loud bang went into kitchen smoke belching out and then button area started melting and flames came through. Luck we were in or not all in bed or it could have been disasterous! No appliances to be left on at all now at night or when out!

Itydntk's Response to LISA6D's Review

Written on: 11/07/2012

Please make contact with me if you have had similar experiences, kevinmcc (at) itydntk (dot) com

Guest's Response to LISA6D's Review

Written on: 11/07/2012

Ours caught fire on June 12th 2012, took out the kitchen and most of the down stairs we have been living in temporary accomadation for over a month now.

Itydntk's Response to LISA6D's Review

Written on: 26/05/2012

I have recently lost my house through a fire. The fire started in the kitchen. How can I make contact with you?

“If you have one bin it and never buy one”

Written on: 22/03/2012 by COLINBRAD (1 review written)

As per posts below, our dishwasher FDW60 has never performed well, basket split, top washer spindle kept falling off and never washed properly ,now However these niggling little problems have been surpassed THE DISHWASHER CAUGHT FIRE ON SATERDAY THE 10TH MARCH 2012, MY DOG NEARLY DIED THE FIRE BRIGADE HAD TO GIVE HIM OXYGEN, IF IT HAAD NOT BEEN FOR THE SOMEONE TAKING NOTICE OF OUR SMOKE ALARMS WE WOULD HAVE LOST THE HOUSE AS WELL AS THE DOG, THE HOUSE IS UNINHABITIBLED DUE TO THE SOOT AND SMOKE… Read Full Review

Itydntk's Response to COLINBRAD's Review

Written on: 28/05/2012

How do I contact you? My home was gutted due to house fire on 24/5 believed to have been caused by a dishwasher.

Colinbrad's Response to COLINBRAD's Review

Written on: 28/08/2012

Seems to me cautious (name removed) maybe has a vested interest.

Shifty67's Response to COLINBRAD's Review

Written on: 25/08/2012

ours has in the last hour caught fire and like you we have a dog and im just so glad we were home when the incident happened as this could have be so so much worse and the bloody coments from cautious catherine would have been so different had her machine burst into flames and her comments regarding washing food from plates first would in no way shape or form make a difference to this very serious electrical fault that causes the control panel to burn out thus creating a very high risk of fire to the appliance and surrounding areas
im an electrician and can say this is going to end up causing the loss of lives and damage to property unless all the machines are recalled and faults are rectified as the unit is not blowing the fuse in the supply which is the very reason a fuse is installed in the first place

“Incredulous!”

Written on: 29/02/2012 by CautiousCatherine (1 review written)

I bought this model (Hotpoint FDW60G) well over four years ago and absolutely love it! It was my first dishwasher so I had little to compare it to except the one owned by my then partner (mine compared favourably); he himself couldn't believe how good the results were compared to his. Yes, you are supposed to scrape off lumps of food from the plates, followed up with a quick rinse under the tap, before putting them into the dishwasher (it does say this in the manual for anyone who bothers to… Read Full Review

Fowksy's Response to CautiousCatherine's Review

Written on: 05/10/2012

Yes Catherine I would say you've been extremely lucky, as have I not to have lost my house in the fire on tuesday!!

“HOTPOINT FDW60 DISHWASHER DO NOT BUY ”

Written on: 08/02/2012

I bought this dishwasher just under 3 years ago. it has never cleaned or dried properly from the start had numerous repair people out in the warranty period and they all said sorry love thats just how they work these days. its now totally broken, doesnt work at all numerous parts have packed up and is going to be dearer to fix than replace (cost £350) there are literally no good points to these machines they just dont work properly to start with, they fob you off till just after the warranty… Read Full Review

“"FIRE HAZARD" DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL FDW60”

Written on: 28/12/2011

WE HAVE HAD THIS DISHWASHER FOR ABOUT TWO AND HALF YEARS IN WHICH TIME THE DOOR LOCK HAS BROKEN, AND SPLIT THE FRONT CONTROL PANEL..MANAGED TO GET REPLACEMENT PARTS ON-LINE THEN ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO THE CONTROL P.C.B BURNT OUT. MANAGED TO GET PARTS AGAIN ON LINE TO REPAIR AS IM AN ENGINEER BY TRADE AND NOT PREPAIRED TO PAY THE CALL OUT FEES.. BEWARE THE CONTROL PANEL SEEMS TO BECOME VERY HOT WHEN IN USE, THIS APPEARS TO BE A COMMON FAULT WITH THIS MODEL.. THEN LAST NIGHT 27/12/2011 THE THING… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 01/01/2012

We have just suffered exactly the same experience with the same appliance, there was no previous history of failed parts, it was sat in standby when it caught fire, my 3 year old raised the alarm when she asked us why the kitchen was on fire? The fire was put out before any serious damage was done. If we were out the house or asleep I dread to think of the consequences.