Debenhams Store Card Reviews

• Ease Of Making A Payment

Summary

Compare the Debenhams Store Card today. Whether you are looking for a great interest rate or discounts off purchase, why not read or write reviews on the advantages and disadvantages of holding this card. Make comments and help others and yourself to shop around for the best store card avaiable.
Debenhams Store Card - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Debenhams Store Card

Debenhams Store Card
Debenhams Store Card

“Unable to close Debenhams store card after a balance...”

Written on: 26/09/2014

I transferred the balance from this card to another credit card. I had some credit left on the Debenhams card after the transfer. I phoned to cancel the card I was told the system was down so phone back in a week when the system was back up?? I wrote and asked for this account to be closed and got a letter from NewDay to tell me they were unable to close my card due to not having as zero balance. I wrote to them again told them that they CAN close my card without a zero balance and demanded… Read Full Review

“Worst card undoubtedly---best forget it....go away!”

Written on: 06/09/2014 by tommiller (1 review written)

I've never come across a site with so many options.....I can't even find the one i'm signed up to. Is it a storecard?...is it a creditcard?...is it Santander?...is it NewDay?..is it Debenhams?..is it an account?...is it a loan? None of them have ever heard of my details, and when I paid to phone in, that system is money-grabber in it's own right. In don't know why i ever bothered...an item i nearly bought with a £4 voucher cost £9 more than one in Beales! When i did finally get to a voice on… Read Full Review

“Worst Credit card ever”

Written on: 05/09/2014

I only took out this card to get discount on a large purchase, I shouldn't have bothered. I hardly ever used it for any special offers that Debenhams sent me so did not save much money, however I did make a purchase on line with Universal Studios in USA and because it was foreign currency they charged me over £7 in fees, I realise now I have read the small print they can do this but the fact that I have my own Santander card which does not charge me for overseas transactions makes me wonder… Read Full Review

Gwenbroome's Comment

Written on: 12/09/2014

I have just been talked into one whilst buying in store , I have tried several times to access my account on line to no avail so asked to speak to customer services in store to be told there isn't one you have to phone up . After 4 attempts I managed to speak to someone who said what did I need to look at and she would have a look for me !!!!!!!!!!! I would like to check my own account and see if my payment had gone on ok is that too much trouble I don't want to phone your overcharged phone line to do it for me ..... I too will be canceling my account , a complete and utter frustrating waste of my time

“Debenhams store card not worth the stress”

Written on: 26/07/2014 by GemmaRoach43 (1 review written)

I have a debenhams store card and got a letter from Newday saying they had restricted my account because they suspected fraud. I then called and they said because I had changed my address they did not believe it was a genuine change, this is after they had sent me a new card to my new address. They then said they want all kinds of proof to prove address change was genuine passport, bank statements proof of employment. I didn't need to prove this much when I opened the card I told the guy this… Read Full Review

“Terrible service and payment telephone number a disgrace”

Written on: 14/07/2014

I was taken in by the lady a Debehams to take out a store card as this would save me 20% that day, as i have never had a store card I was a bit reluctant, but as the purchase was over £100, I thought I would take the card pay it off and then close down the account job done. Two weeks later the statement came and I payed via the NewDay telephone number to the lady on the other end of the line, all gone through phone down, next job close the account. 2 days later I received a phone call from… Read Full Review

Bheri's Comment

Written on: 23/07/2014

I had a parallel (sp) experience after shopping in Laura Ashley in April 2014. The major problem is that NewDay don't as yet supply a none 0800 tel. number nor do they supply email addresses.

After a lot of online research I managed to get an email addres for their CEO.
Along the way I became aware of miriad problems experienced by NewDay customers; upshot I close the account 2 hours after a Delhi staff member confirmed reciept of my payment, because I didn't want to continue my custom/association with NewDay as their current business model operates.
All was not OK though, over the next weeks I was hassled for payments/late payment fees, through corrspondence, which never included email addresses nor none 0800 tel numbers.
Within 14 hours of emailing the CEO I have had 4 contacts from NewDay, my problems have been addressed & my account is closed. I wish I'd 'gone to the top' weeks ago.

“STOLEN CARD”

Written on: 17/06/2014 by RayneBarrett1959 (1 review written)

I HAD MY CARD STOLEN AND PHONED THE NUMBER ON MY STATEMENT TO REPORT IT AND CANCEL MY CARD ,I GOT THROUGH TO AN INDIAN CALL CENTER ONLY TO BE TOLD TO CALL BACK IN AN HOUR AS ALL THEIR COMPUTERS WERE DOWN I TRIED THREE TIMES AND ON MY THIRD ATTEMPT THREE HOURS LATER I WAS TOLD ID HAVE TO CALL BACK THE NEXT DAY AS THE LINES WERE STILL DOWN,THIS WAS THE ONLY NUMBER THAT I HAD AND IF YOU DID CALL ANY OTHER YOU JUST GET PUT THROUGH TO THE CALL CENTER,IVE HAVE BEEN TO INDIA MANY TIMES AND NOW HOW… Read Full Review

“Disgusting approach to fool people”

Written on: 13/05/2014 by 96McFadden (1 review written)

I never had a problem with Debenhams and I was quite pleased because they make discounts on the Beauty card. All this until I wanted to make a payment for some products that I bought and the sales assistant offered me a card which I could get more discounts but never mentioned that was a credit card. I realised when she gave me the leaflets after I signed the agreement. Applying for a credit card could be a big deal for people that are very careful with their credit score. Just by being… Read Full Review

“Making payment. Awful”

Written on: 10/05/2014

Tried to make a payment via Santander web site.Was transferred to NewDay web site. Attempted to make payment. Filled in payment box with all the payment details. Submitted payment and waited. Nothing happened. Submitted again. Nothing happened. Gave up in the end. Found a returns payment envelope. As it was addressed to Santander and not NewDay I did not know if it had the correct payment address on it. In the end I phoned the payment through. (5p per min)Put on hold, transferred eventually to… Read Full Review

“No email - so have to pay for calls”

Written on: 04/04/2014 by holtsedges (1 review written)

I needed to contact to explain my mother has dementia and someone in store had taken card from her. Wanted to put this in writing (by email) and needed to be done ASAP. No email on website - had to call where I was left waiting, presume so they could charge me more, only to be told they DO HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS - what decade are they in!!!!!… Read Full Review

Lewisthegeek's Response to holtsedges's Review

Written on: 05/05/2014

If the card has been reported lost or stolen they can withhold the card,otherwise they had no right to keep it

“Direct Debit - What a joke”

Written on: 04/03/2014 by Lewis-Altwx359 (1 review written)

I recently set up a Direct Debit to pay off my Debenhams Card - I had to phone the call centre because my last statement showed a late payment fee. I was a bit confused as surely Debenhams would take the payment in time to meet the deadline. The chap I spoke to apologised and went over my direct debit details again and said he would refund the charge and the direct debit would come out as arranged. I log in today and notice that my monthly payment has increased - Again I am a bit miffed as I… Read Full Review

“Worst card ever”

Written on: 27/01/2014

This is the worst store card I've ever had. They have sneaky hidden costs and I don't feel I get rewarded for the amount I spend. Don't even bother getting it. I know I won't miss mine… Read Full Review

“Abysmal, 3rd world service and sneaky charges applied”

Written on: 08/01/2014

I always pay my bill in full and on time, but apparently my latest bill for £33 was returned saying that I had changed my address, which I HAVE NOT. So, instead of sending me a reminder or trying to contact me they blocked my account. It was only when I tried to buy an item that I found out there was a problem. I spent ages trying to sort the problem out, the call center was abysmal, eventually I managed to close the account but was charged a fee of £12.00! It is impossible to deal with this… Read Full Review

“DONT try and use this or contact them - BEWARE SANTANDER”

Written on: 02/01/2014

Appalling charges and service. Opened an account in October, first payment due 21st Dec. They rang on 24th -and I paid whole amount plus interest plus usurious £12 late payment fee on 24th. Statement issued 26th dec, received 2 Jan, saying the lot still owing. Rang on 2 Jan (premium line), several security questions later got hold of a person - neither of us could understand the other. Got her manager after a long wait. More security questions - don't they trust each other? No way this… Read Full Review

Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2014

Dear Reviewer, if you contact Debenhams as I did tell them your predicament with Santander? your story sounds exactly like mine and they rang Santander and told them to refund me their so called £12 late fees and interest. Im waiting on Santander to call me as it has only been a couple of days. But with the holidays I expect this week coming. But in an email from Debenhams they also told me if I have any further problems with getting my refund to contact them and they will help. Wont surprise me if behind the scenes Debenhams kick Santander out as their banker in the not too distant future. Debenhams were very apologetic in their email. Hope that helps you.

“Debenhams should get their website sorted.”

Written on: 01/01/2014 by lona43 (2 reviews written)

I have had a Debenhams store card NOT A CREDIT CARD and found it very easy to operate. I always used their Account Management Service to pay my monthly bills in full. This took you to a Santander website where it was easy to pay with a credit card. This December I tried to pay my store card account via the Account Mangement Service but it would not connect me to Santander. Message kept coming up that I did not have an account. Now I don't know if it's the fact that Debenhams no longer do… Read Full Review

Brummy72's Response to lona43's Review

Written on: 02/01/2014

Dear Reviewer, I am in the same predicament. I rang the Santander number on the back of the card to pay my bill. Was told by the Indian advisor I owed x and was what I knew I spent in store. Then a week later I checked my own bank account and low and behold the cheeky so and so went and took not only the actual amount I paid for the goods in store but also their £12 late fee plus interest. I am fuming and have written to Debenhams, but to no avail get an automated reply saying we will be in touch in 5 working days. Managed to find an email link to a form to fill in to write to Santander, as spotted on older messages a link a another reviewer put up which was great. Am waiting on a reply. Like you I know myself it is illegal for a bank to take more than the agreed amount out of a person's account and I told them such. Be interesting what response I get back. But if Debenhams don't get in touch either well they have lost a loyal customer. Must be the reason why there has been constant sales since beginning of November. They must be losing business!

Lona43's reply to Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 03/01/2014

I phoned today. It's Santander call centre. I just let the automated messages go on and on until I got to speak to a human voice. I explained how difficult it had been to pay my account and yes, they had applied £12 plus interest to my account. I told him that on no account was I paying that as it was not my fault that their website is a mess. He removed all the charges and my account is clear.

I will be binning my Store Card as from now.

Brummy72's reply to Lona43's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2014

Hi there, yes I wrote to Debenhams as well and they called me but as I was at work they left a message. Anyway the Debenhams advisor wrote that they contacted Santander and their escalated complaints dept on my behalf. Told them about late statement arrival etc and the fact having initally rung Santander and told my bill wad only x but then they took x plus their famous £12 without telling me, Debenhams got Santander to cancel it. I am now waiting on a call from Santander to verify they will reimburse me the £12 plus the interest. Will let you know what happens. In the way the email from Debenhams was written I think they know Santander are a bit of a nightmare for them. Credit to Debenhams somewhat for assisting. But never again will I use the store card. Be better if the store card was like a Tesco card, ie get points built up each time you spend for money off or something. But as for the store card it will be chopped up and put in the bin as soon as I get my refund. Thanks for replying Lona 43.

Lona43's reply to Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2014

I would make sure you cancel any DD you have set up with Santander. I never use DD when dealing with stores. Always better to have control rather than them taking whatever they want from your bank account.

“Debenhams "store cards" the biggest joke going. ”

Written on: 01/01/2014 by Brummy72 (1 review written)

Trading standards should be involved here and Debenhams and their so called indian service Santander desk need serious investigations. I work in finance and am very good managing my bills. Took out what I was told was a Debenhams store card and that each time I used it would get 10% off. Great I thought. However didn't have much time the past year to do new clothes shopping. Went to use my card November 2013. The items cost £79. 12 days later 2nd December statement arrives. Whilst in the… Read Full Review

“Debenhams/Santander Card - Horrendous experience”

Written on: 26/11/2013 by CMBM123 (1 review written)

UK store card for a UK Company. Why then is customer service based in India? Frustrating telephone system - ridiculous auto-service before one even reaches a human being, with several security questions having to be auto-answered then asked all over again when one does get to speak to a human being. When money is owed to them, strangely enough, THEN a representative based in the UK is available, per my call 21 November. I had missed a payment - first time - as the statement wasn't received &… Read Full Review

Lona43's Response to CMBM123's Review

Written on: 01/01/2014

I agree. Since Debenhams have stopped issuing Store Cards trying to make payment via Santander is a nightmare. The only recognise debenhams credit cards and when you try to make payment they tell you that you don't have an account.

Awhitham's Response to CMBM123's Review

Written on: 05/01/2014

I find my statements get "lost" in the post and then a late payment charge so I do wonder if they actually send them out! I've been told that "no-one is available in the UK" when asked to speak to a UK based supervisor.

“Hard to pay off”

Written on: 04/11/2013

Paid my first month off in total, but unknown to me the payment had not been accepted and had come back to my account a few days later. 2 weeks before I received a letter telling me that I owed what I thought I had paid plus interest and a late fee, I had Santander debt collectors calling my phone 5 times a day. Cancelled my card and will think twice about shopping in Debs again… Read Full Review

“Terrible Communications”

Written on: 17/09/2013

I have been a Debenhams Gold card holder for several years. My account is set to be paid off at statement balance, however recently my balance showed that I owed £248.72 (which I knew I didnt as I had returned the items that had been recently ordered but they were not showing on my statement). I contacted the customer services (based in India) and was assured that they wouldn't take the full statement balance if when the direct debit was due to be paid the actual balance at that time was… Read Full Review

“What a nightmare Spent £50.50 paid off in ful in...”

Written on: 16/08/2013

What a nightmare Spent £50.50 paid off in ful in October 2010 payment lost between Debenhams and Satander Obtained proof of payment from my bank. Debenhams say they cannot trace the payments because they do. Not keep records that old. Santander say they cannot trace the payment. Late payment charges now £132 and my credit rating has been compromised Total unhelpful with a big brother attitude Stay well clear… Read Full Review

“Santander are spoiling your business”

Written on: 28/07/2013

Up until now I have been a happy "Debenham's shopper" and feel as though you treat your customers with respect and also excellent customer benefits. I have always fully settled my account via Santander on time and have never had late charges etc. Recently I was ill and missed the deadline date, but still sent my cheques etc. I did expect to attract a late payment charge, which I did, but certainly did not expect the confusing and demanding letters which came to me in aggresive mode telling… Read Full Review