Debenhams Store Card Reviews

• Ease Of Making A Payment

Summary

Compare the Debenhams Store Card today. Whether you are looking for a great interest rate or discounts off purchase, why not read or write reviews on the advantages and disadvantages of holding this card. Make comments and help others and yourself to shop around for the best store card avaiable.
Debenhams Store Card - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Debenhams Store Card

Debenhams Store Card
Debenhams Store Card

“No email - so have to pay for calls”

Written on: 04/04/2014 by holtsedges (1 review written)

I needed to contact to explain my mother has dementia and someone in store had taken card from her. Wanted to put this in writing (by email) and needed to be done ASAP. No email on website - had to call where I was left waiting, presume so they could charge me more, only to be told they DO HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS - what decade are they in!!!!!… Read Full Review

“Direct Debit - What a joke”

Written on: 04/03/2014 by Lewis-Altwx359 (1 review written)

I recently set up a Direct Debit to pay off my Debenhams Card - I had to phone the call centre because my last statement showed a late payment fee. I was a bit confused as surely Debenhams would take the payment in time to meet the deadline. The chap I spoke to apologised and went over my direct debit details again and said he would refund the charge and the direct debit would come out as arranged. I log in today and notice that my monthly payment has increased - Again I am a bit miffed as I… Read Full Review

“Worst card ever”

Written on: 27/01/2014

This is the worst store card I've ever had. They have sneaky hidden costs and I don't feel I get rewarded for the amount I spend. Don't even bother getting it. I know I won't miss mine… Read Full Review

“Abysmal, 3rd world service and sneaky charges applied”

Written on: 08/01/2014

I always pay my bill in full and on time, but apparently my latest bill for £33 was returned saying that I had changed my address, which I HAVE NOT. So, instead of sending me a reminder or trying to contact me they blocked my account. It was only when I tried to buy an item that I found out there was a problem. I spent ages trying to sort the problem out, the call center was abysmal, eventually I managed to close the account but was charged a fee of £12.00! It is impossible to deal with this… Read Full Review

“DONT try and use this or contact them - BEWARE SANTANDER”

Written on: 02/01/2014

Appalling charges and service. Opened an account in October, first payment due 21st Dec. They rang on 24th -and I paid whole amount plus interest plus usurious £12 late payment fee on 24th. Statement issued 26th dec, received 2 Jan, saying the lot still owing. Rang on 2 Jan (premium line), several security questions later got hold of a person - neither of us could understand the other. Got her manager after a long wait. More security questions - don't they trust each other? No way this… Read Full Review

Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2014

Dear Reviewer, if you contact Debenhams as I did tell them your predicament with Santander? your story sounds exactly like mine and they rang Santander and told them to refund me their so called £12 late fees and interest. Im waiting on Santander to call me as it has only been a couple of days. But with the holidays I expect this week coming. But in an email from Debenhams they also told me if I have any further problems with getting my refund to contact them and they will help. Wont surprise me if behind the scenes Debenhams kick Santander out as their banker in the not too distant future. Debenhams were very apologetic in their email. Hope that helps you.

“Debenhams should get their website sorted.”

Written on: 01/01/2014 by lona43 (2 reviews written)

I have had a Debenhams store card NOT A CREDIT CARD and found it very easy to operate. I always used their Account Management Service to pay my monthly bills in full. This took you to a Santander website where it was easy to pay with a credit card. This December I tried to pay my store card account via the Account Mangement Service but it would not connect me to Santander. Message kept coming up that I did not have an account. Now I don't know if it's the fact that Debenhams no longer do… Read Full Review

Brummy72's Response to lona43's Review

Written on: 02/01/2014

Dear Reviewer, I am in the same predicament. I rang the Santander number on the back of the card to pay my bill. Was told by the Indian advisor I owed x and was what I knew I spent in store. Then a week later I checked my own bank account and low and behold the cheeky so and so went and took not only the actual amount I paid for the goods in store but also their £12 late fee plus interest. I am fuming and have written to Debenhams, but to no avail get an automated reply saying we will be in touch in 5 working days. Managed to find an email link to a form to fill in to write to Santander, as spotted on older messages a link a another reviewer put up which was great. Am waiting on a reply. Like you I know myself it is illegal for a bank to take more than the agreed amount out of a person's account and I told them such. Be interesting what response I get back. But if Debenhams don't get in touch either well they have lost a loyal customer. Must be the reason why there has been constant sales since beginning of November. They must be losing business!

Lona43's reply to Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 03/01/2014

I phoned today. It's Santander call centre. I just let the automated messages go on and on until I got to speak to a human voice. I explained how difficult it had been to pay my account and yes, they had applied £12 plus interest to my account. I told him that on no account was I paying that as it was not my fault that their website is a mess. He removed all the charges and my account is clear.

I will be binning my Store Card as from now.

Brummy72's reply to Lona43's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2014

Hi there, yes I wrote to Debenhams as well and they called me but as I was at work they left a message. Anyway the Debenhams advisor wrote that they contacted Santander and their escalated complaints dept on my behalf. Told them about late statement arrival etc and the fact having initally rung Santander and told my bill wad only x but then they took x plus their famous £12 without telling me, Debenhams got Santander to cancel it. I am now waiting on a call from Santander to verify they will reimburse me the £12 plus the interest. Will let you know what happens. In the way the email from Debenhams was written I think they know Santander are a bit of a nightmare for them. Credit to Debenhams somewhat for assisting. But never again will I use the store card. Be better if the store card was like a Tesco card, ie get points built up each time you spend for money off or something. But as for the store card it will be chopped up and put in the bin as soon as I get my refund. Thanks for replying Lona 43.

Lona43's reply to Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2014

I would make sure you cancel any DD you have set up with Santander. I never use DD when dealing with stores. Always better to have control rather than them taking whatever they want from your bank account.

“Debenhams "store cards" the biggest joke going. ”

Written on: 01/01/2014 by Brummy72 (1 review written)

Trading standards should be involved here and Debenhams and their so called indian service Santander desk need serious investigations. I work in finance and am very good managing my bills. Took out what I was told was a Debenhams store card and that each time I used it would get 10% off. Great I thought. However didn't have much time the past year to do new clothes shopping. Went to use my card November 2013. The items cost £79. 12 days later 2nd December statement arrives. Whilst in the… Read Full Review

“Debenhams/Santander Card - Horrendous experience”

Written on: 26/11/2013 by CMBM123 (1 review written)

UK store card for a UK Company. Why then is customer service based in India? Frustrating telephone system - ridiculous auto-service before one even reaches a human being, with several security questions having to be auto-answered then asked all over again when one does get to speak to a human being. When money is owed to them, strangely enough, THEN a representative based in the UK is available, per my call 21 November. I had missed a payment - first time - as the statement wasn't received &… Read Full Review

Lona43's Response to CMBM123's Review

Written on: 01/01/2014

I agree. Since Debenhams have stopped issuing Store Cards trying to make payment via Santander is a nightmare. The only recognise debenhams credit cards and when you try to make payment they tell you that you don't have an account.

Awhitham's Response to CMBM123's Review

Written on: 05/01/2014

I find my statements get "lost" in the post and then a late payment charge so I do wonder if they actually send them out! I've been told that "no-one is available in the UK" when asked to speak to a UK based supervisor.

“Hard to pay off”

Written on: 04/11/2013

Paid my first month off in total, but unknown to me the payment had not been accepted and had come back to my account a few days later. 2 weeks before I received a letter telling me that I owed what I thought I had paid plus interest and a late fee, I had Santander debt collectors calling my phone 5 times a day. Cancelled my card and will think twice about shopping in Debs again… Read Full Review

“Terrible Communications”

Written on: 17/09/2013

I have been a Debenhams Gold card holder for several years. My account is set to be paid off at statement balance, however recently my balance showed that I owed £248.72 (which I knew I didnt as I had returned the items that had been recently ordered but they were not showing on my statement). I contacted the customer services (based in India) and was assured that they wouldn't take the full statement balance if when the direct debit was due to be paid the actual balance at that time was… Read Full Review

“What a nightmare Spent £50.50 paid off in ful in...”

Written on: 16/08/2013

What a nightmare Spent £50.50 paid off in ful in October 2010 payment lost between Debenhams and Satander Obtained proof of payment from my bank. Debenhams say they cannot trace the payments because they do. Not keep records that old. Santander say they cannot trace the payment. Late payment charges now £132 and my credit rating has been compromised Total unhelpful with a big brother attitude Stay well clear… Read Full Review

“Santander are spoiling your business”

Written on: 28/07/2013

Up until now I have been a happy "Debenham's shopper" and feel as though you treat your customers with respect and also excellent customer benefits. I have always fully settled my account via Santander on time and have never had late charges etc. Recently I was ill and missed the deadline date, but still sent my cheques etc. I did expect to attract a late payment charge, which I did, but certainly did not expect the confusing and demanding letters which came to me in aggresive mode telling… Read Full Review

“MY CREDIT DISAPPEARED!”

Written on: 25/07/2013

I opened a debenhams store credit card account just under a year ago, tempted by the free £20 promotion bonus. I had the intention of using the bonus and closing the account. First, my card didnt come. It was supposed to come with the £20 voucher, but because I ordered a new card as mine was lost, the new card didnt come with the voucher. I rang up customer services and they were helpful (despite being hard to understand). I had recieved the pin for the first card, and when i rang up i stated… Read Full Review

“Debenhams Card: Misleading information leading to charges.”

Written on: 13/06/2013

I got a Debenhams credit card in 2009, paid my balance each month on time, and cleared the balance in mid-2010. Not used it since. After a while Debenhams sent various letters saying the account would be closed after a certain period of months had elapsed. When it elapsed I got a final letter confirming the account was closed. Today in June 2013 I got a letter from a debt collection agency for a debt owing on my Debenhams card. This dates to November 2012. Despite the letters the account… Read Full Review

“never mentioned it's a credit card!”

Written on: 28/05/2013

Do not take out this card! It's a credit card and not a store/loyalty card even if they only tell you that! You get 10% off purchases but pay 20% interest! What kind of loyalty and reward is that? Also, the clerks in Debenhams do not give out all the information needed. They have to tell you it needs a credit check but they never do! BEWARE!… Read Full Review

“Don't bother opening a debenhams store /credit card ”

Written on: 16/05/2013 by Jlonew (1 review written)

I've had problems first in march when my online account was blocked and was unable to log into account to make payment ! After several phone calls I was told my account was locked do to me not activating my new card ..... A card I DIDNT receive !!!! I received a card in April and activated it as soon as I received it , I went to pay a bill online and card was declined , I tried a few times a bit later on still to no avail !!! So I rang up debenhams and they said the card in my hand was an old… Read Full Review

Fshopper's Response to Jlonew's Review

Written on: 22/12/2013

Rubbish card, poor communication either by telephone or by letter, would never recommend using this card to anyone as no one interested in helping you when things go wrong. Will not be shopping in this store again and will not recommend anyone to shop here unless they sort out store card policy's, due to expire card letters. These letters should be sent out prior to the card expiring not several months after the card has expired.
Sort yourselves out - ask the customer what they want not what you think they want.

“Shocking Reflection On Santander and Debenhams”

Written on: 09/04/2013

If you encounter any sort of problem while using this card - you're on your own as you'd be wrong to expect any kind of assistance from their customer services. I called to report a credit to my account hadn't been applied - chased this up three weeks later to be reassured that yes they had all of the details logged from my call and no, they won't look into it until I wrote in with the same details. Surprise surprise this letter containing copies of my bank statement was never received - must… Read Full Review

Turfgb's Comment

Written on: 20/04/2013

I had the same problem a couple of years ago - looks like nothing has changed. Don't deal with their call centre who are worse than useless. To get through to their complaints team in the UK call 0871 522 5167 or write to Complaints Referral Team, Santander Cards, Capital House Unit A, Bruntcliffe Way, Morley, Leeds LS27 0JG. I would only post by recorded delivery as well.

Brummy72's Comment

Written on: 01/01/2014

Hi Im in middle of recent bill dispute. Rang up Santander before Xmas and told my bill was x, so I knew that x amount was the correct amount and offered to pay it. Got a reference number from the Indian guy for the transaction..But now since received a statement demanding the bill still plus £12 added for late payment plus interest. And a letter n very aggressive form from Santander looking for £5. Wrote to Debenhams they don't want to know. So wrote third time yesterday, demanding to speak to someone in seniority, so am waiting on that call as told them will take Debenhams and Santander to trading standards if its not resolved asap. If I wad told I only owe x on the call by Santander they then had the cheek to take x for the bill plus £12 and interest without telling me. Not on whatsoever. Will chase them til i get a refund plus the telephone bill of almost 15 mins to their 0871 number. Never again will I shop in Debenhams. Disgraceful and thats putting it mildly.

“Best card ever”

Written on: 09/03/2013

Best thing I did opening debenhams credit card value and easy payment option made my life very easy highly recommended to all family and friends easy to use can be used in all major stores no need to worry about keeping cash just use the debenhams credit card pay online review and payment option all under one click away… Read Full Review

Siouxsie's Comment

Written on: 01/01/2014

No card is that good!! Sounds like you must work for Santander or Debenhams... The wording doesn't ring true does it folks? My experience with the Debenhams card was horrendous.

“WORST CRDEIT CARD EVER”

Written on: 26/02/2013 by s2cool4you (1 review written)

Had so much trouble with this card, about 6 months ago the direct debit that had originally been set up to pay the minimum balance, it just cancelled it self, first late payment fee resulted in me ringing them up, to restablish it up, second month the same thing happened, so i decided to pay it manually, month after month the same thing kept happening, i was eventually told that because i had been manually making payments, it had resulted in the direct debit not being taken (something i have… Read Full Review

“Shocked at Santader!”

Written on: 05/02/2013

I have had a Debenhams Gold card for at least 10 years and until recently have had no problems. My bill arrives each month and I pay in full before the due date. For security I log on to my online account each morning and again at night to ensure there are no fraudulent transactions. However over a month ago I tried to log on and got a message stating that my account has not been registered, so I tried to register again and the message read "you have already got an account with us please log in… Read Full Review

Jkip's Comment

Written on: 07/03/2013

Same thing has happened to me as above. I am very annoyed as I manage my account online and have never experienced this before. Why block you out of your account two months before the expiry date? How do I keep track of my spending and owed payments? If you need to deactivate the account do so a month before or after the issuing of the statement prior to card expiry date. I mean I am still able to use the current card. If i default then surely it is Santander's fault? Can the Customer Services operate on my level when I am dealing with my transactions? No, they cannot see the workings of my mind. And why can't we e-mail them as a result instead of paying to call them? Or a message should display saying why we need to (re-)activate our online account (account management online - not if they block us out of it!)

Frenchy11's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2013

Hi this has just happened to me as well, i'm not happy at all, since I have no way of changing my statements back to paper without access to my online account. I have to ring up to check and at a cost of 10p and minutes its a joke. When I asked for someone to call be back to see what is happening with my complaint they said that doesn't not happen and the only person to call back will be the manager (whom I was speaking to already). My next step in to go into a Debenhams store because you only get somewhere when you see people face to face. Some great information here thanks guy's

Deniseio's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2013

Hi Frenchy11's

I don't think going into a Debenhams store will help as their name only appears on the card, they don't actually issue it. As Santander are the card issuer, perhaps calling into one of their branches may be of more help to you.

Good luck