Sony DAV-SC5 Reviews

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Summary

Dvd Player
Speakers
5 Speakers And Subwoofer
90 Watts
Remote Control
Sony DAV-SC5 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony DAV-SC5

Sony DAV-SC5

“10 years old and still going strong!”

Written on: 03/05/2013

I've had my Sony home cinema for 10 years now and its still going strong. I certainly got my moneys worth from it. I've just replaced it with a new all singing all dancing LG home cinema system which will arrive tomorrow. I hope it lasts at least half as long as the Sony did… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“i have the Sony DAV-SC5 model since the first time it...”

Written on: 03/05/2009 by alanlks2008 (1 review written)

i have the Sony DAV-SC5 model since the first time it launch may be 2003,until now it still work perfectly without having any problem.i had pack n unpack several time because of moving to a new places,it really make me happy because of easy to take care.the sound is good while i play mp3 n DVD,the machine is running a little warm while i play it around 5 hours continue non-stop.it seen don't have any problem ever getting older with many new model coming out… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“The Sony DAV-SC5 is easy to use and user friendly. The...”

Written on: 20/02/2009 by abritten (1 review written)

The Sony DAV-SC5 is easy to use and user friendly. The sound system is first class with gread bass… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“As other readers have posted - great system until the...”

Written on: 10/11/2008

As other readers have posted - great system until the DVD-player part of it packed up after a year or so. 'STANDBY' constantly flashes on the display and even had to open the unit up once to get a jammed disc out. Now use in only as a sound system with a DVD player plugged in to the 'aux in'. Shame really… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“I've had my Sony DAV-SC5 for over 4 years and has...”

Written on: 27/12/2007

I've had my Sony DAV-SC5 for over 4 years and has never let me down. I have moved house on 4 occasions in that time, so it's been packed and unpacked several times. The sound is awesome, it has loads of inputs so I have the TV, games console and iTunes Airport Express plugged into it. Unlike others reviewing this product I have had no problems with the DVD mechanism, it still plays discs perfectly… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“I bought the system... was happy until it packed up...”

Written on: 28/09/2007 by dekkerz (1 review written)

I bought the system... was happy until it packed up just after 2 years. It was not heavily used I expected better quality. Now I know why they there is only a 1 year warranty. Looking back, I don't think it's worth the extra premium. I might as well have purchased a JVC or Panasonic. To make a point I refuse to purchase any further Sony Products. I have also read about the lawsuit against Sony in the US where they had to replace the DVD's manufactured between 1998 and 2007 wish it was the same… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“Great Home entertainment system, with great surround...”

Written on: 20/02/2007 by Nickxvan (1 review written)

Great Home entertainment system, with great surround sound components, good visuals, easy to use and set up, and all has been going swimmingly for about 2yrs until the DVD player packed up, but irritatingly not all the time. So sometimes the DVD player works OK, and then at other times the DVD functions would freeze or it would not play at all. This has been getting progressively worse until now the standby message flashes insesently when the system is turned off or when the DVD player is used… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“The Sony DAV-SC5 generally is a great home cinema...”

Written on: 21/06/2006 by Al Mac (1 review written)

The Sony DAV-SC5 generally is a great home cinema system all round, with nice looks, and all was going great for the first 18 months, but after owning it happily for 18 months the DVD component failed, and the standby also would not shut down, and just to make my day, it only had a 12 month warranty. N.Z$350 to repair. So personally I won't buy anything Sony from now on.

Good system shame about the internal workings… Read Full Review

275478_Cnjones's Response to Al Mac's Review

Written on: 22/01/2007

Exactly the same thing happened to my Sony DAV - SR3. 18 months after buying it the DVD failed and stand-by would not shut down.
<br/>
<br/>Chris

Sony DAV-SC5

“Too bad you can't buy the Sony DAV-SC5 DVD home cinema...”

Written on: 20/04/2006 by CViper (1 review written)

Too bad you can't buy the Sony DAV-SC5 DVD home cinema system new anymore. The Sub seems like it's a baby with just 100 watts. Just go into Settings and put the setting to +6Db and it's a whole new story. My neighbours did come around once and told me to turn it down :D… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“The Sony DAV-SC5 is a fantastic system which is...”

Written on: 07/04/2005 by stevefisher (1 review written)

The Sony DAV-SC5 is a fantastic system which is reasonably priced. I bought mine in December 2003 and have been really impressed with the sound quality. My X-Box games really come alive when connected and action movies are awesome. The Bourne Identity and Swordfish are particularly good with the sound up. I am not a tecky, just an ordinary user who appreciates good sound in a movie and the CD playback is great also. Don't mess about with the sound field effects there is no need at all for… Read Full Review

Batscarer's Response to stevefisher's Review

Written on: 11/07/2005

hello I too have a similar problem with my Sony DAV SC5 player
<br>
<br>When I switch it off using the button it will not switch back on, On Standby just flashes up and the only way to get it back on is to switch the power of to the plug and switch back on again
<br>
<br>In the book it says could be a short ciruit but looks OK, and as it is reproducible everytime maybe it would be worth sending to a centre

220426_Ta5Gdu's Response to stevefisher's Review

Written on: 10/12/2005

I have had the same problem and found that a DVD cleaner helps, but the problem has come back. I originally contacted Sony and they weren't interested in repairing for free.

206758_Scot1E's Response to stevefisher's Review

Written on: 18/08/2005

I've had my sc5 for a year. It started locking up as you described and I sent it back for repair, one of the boards were shorting out. If you don't get it fixed it will get worse. If you turn on the unit and very gently move your fingers across the top of it you will find that you will get a very mild electrical current sensation from it. Dont put anything on top of it like a sky system or a video as this will cause the problem in the first place.

Sony DAV-SC5

“Only after 2 months of purchase my Sony DAV-SC5 system...”

Written on: 26/10/2004 by Ash Bandey (1 review written)

Only after 2 months of purchase my Sony DAV-SC5 system seemed to be ageing. The DVD would get stuck, the function buttons would not work and there was loss of output in one of the front speakers. I am truly disappointed with SONY for having come up with such an unreliable product… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“The Sony DAV SC5 is the base model of this range, it...”

Written on: 11/09/2004 by paul williamson (1 review written)

The Sony DAV SC5 is the base model of this range, it uses the same technology and has the same features as the higher priced models but with more compact speakers and only one disc on board at a time, (still can't play more than one at once with the others...!)
I own an Arcam Alpha 9 cd £800 and Alpha ten Amp £800,trust me, this Sony system gets closer to it than I would like.
With cds, the Sony is more detailed and involving than it has a right to be, play it through the on-board digital sound… Read Full Review

The Fisherman's Response to paul williamson's Review

Written on: 23/10/2004

Hi,
<br>
<br>Many thanks for your review. It helped me to decide to go with the DAV-SC5, and I havent been disappointed. Its an exceptional bit of kit, for the price.
<br>
<br>I'd be interested to hear about the tweaks you mention, that helps get the best out of audio and DVD alike.
<br>
<br>If you can either reply to this, or email me, id be grateful.
<br>
<br>You can get my email address on this link.
<br>Regards.
<br>http://threads.fuk.co.uk/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1371

Sony DAV-SC5

“The Sony DAV-SC5 is a very slick and stylish machine....”

Written on: 16/03/2004 by vallels (1 review written)

The Sony DAV-SC5 is a very slick and stylish machine. Speakers could of been a bit easier to mount on walls though.
I have had to have my first one replaced within a day due to no output from 2 of the speakers. Second system, failed at Christmas with the DVD motor failing. This was sent back and is just about to be totally replaced after 7 weeks at a Sony approved warranty centre. I believe the build quality inside is not great and was told many of these had gone back to Sony (Sony's leadtime… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“I bought the SONY DAV-SC5 dvd home cinema system this...”

Written on: 14/01/2004 by Migus (1 review written)

I bought the SONY DAV-SC5 dvd home cinema system this Christmas, I've heard lots of good things about it but when I got home and I connected it I was really impressed!!! This system has a wonderful sound quality, with a powerful & deep sound, perfect for watching movies, playing music (especially if you have SACD's!) & for games!I have my xbox connected to this system and the games really come alive!Oh, and don't forget that you can see your jpeg pictures on tv!Definately a good buy!… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-SC5

“The SONY DAV-SC5 is a really fab box that is simply...”

Written on: 05/11/2003 by myiop (1 review written)

The SONY DAV-SC5 is a really fab box that is simply brilliant. The only short coming is with music CDs and the size/look of the speakers; though this is always a personal thing. XBOX games come alive with space ships in HALO flying over your head with a real rumble of a big space craft. TV with Prologic II is life like with people talking behind you in Holby City, just like a real hospital. This is going to be a real hard system to beat for price as you can get it for just under £350. Lots of… Read Full Review

Hugh Miller's Response to myiop's Review

Written on: 01/12/2003

What seems to make the music inferior.
<br>I am thinking about this model or maybe the VSC5

Myiop's Response to myiop's Review

Written on: 02/12/2003

What makes the music inferior? This really is a problem for all home cinema systems. The bass is separate to the speakers which don't have the range of proper stereo speakers. I do have to say that it is much better if you can get your sub near enough the front speakers; some systems have bigger front speakers to get round the problem but take up more space and cost more money. Now I have had it a bit longer I can honestly say the sound is brilliant for TV and DVDs and very listenable for music. The only niggle I have now is the slightly fiddly remote control but I highly recommend the system which easily beats much of the competition and it would be hard to believe anyone who owns one being disappointed. Just go to your local Sony shop and you can get them to demonstrate the model if you have any doubts and then buy it £100 cheaper somewhere else.