Minolta Dynax 5 Reviews

• Photograph Quality

Minolta Dynax 5 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Minolta Dynax 5

Minolta Dynax 5

“Fitted a battery holder to my Dynax 5,makes it a bit...”

Written on: 19/09/2008

Fitted a battery holder to my Dynax 5,makes it a bit easier holding the camera straight. In good light I found focusing very quick and precise. Have had the camera 6 years and love it. Gave away my 5D and kept the film camera… Read Full Review

“The Minolta Dynax 5 is very good and has convenient...”

Written on: 22/04/2008

The Minolta Dynax 5 is very good and has convenient features. Very sturdy, have one for the last 12 years. easy to use and very handy.good ergonomical design… Read Full Review

“Halfway into my Everest trek my Minolta Dynax 5 broke,...”

Written on: 10/01/2005 by Jezer (1 review written)

Halfway into my Everest trek my Minolta Dynax 5 broke, pretended to be OK at low altitude then broke again on the Annurpurna trek. I replaced the body with the Xtsi (slightly different earlier version.) Only to discover halfway into my Indian trip that the replacement never worked from day one as the shutter was out of sync. I now have no pictures of this travel. The moral is don't take this on backpacking trips, and now Minolta have given up the chase with Cannon and Nikon for the non digital… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to 181369_Jezer's Review

Written on: 17/01/2012

Well, it doesn't make much sense to me to give the camera a bad review when the issue was withstanding extraordinary conditions - especially in very cold environment. Most standard (non-rugged) cameras do not fare well in very cold conditions. this is due to the use of a rechargeable battery and parts that are not meant to stand extreme temperatures.

Oldgooner's reply to Guest's Comment

Written on: 12/02/2013

Have just purchased a Dynax 5 , because I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I find the Digitals ok for functions and emergencies for immediate action. but the downloading, sorting out, filing, printing photos becomes a chore. I kept my Canon A1 Black and have gone back to Film, hence the purchase of a Minolta Dynax 5. I agree with you regards rechargeable batteries under performing against the standard batteries, so I only use recharges only for DIY. Judging by the reviews read I think Film Cameras are having a rebirth of late. Kind regards. Melvyn.

“From an all singing all dancing multi functional...”

Written on: 14/11/2004 by rhondda6x6 (1 review written)

From an all singing all dancing multi functional camera to a basic ' you control and set everything manual' camera- it does everything with its sheer variety of choices… Read Full Review

“I'm sure I'd be as delighted as you all about that...”

Written on: 31/03/2004 by ra4mon (1 review written)

I'm sure I'd be as delighted as you all about that Minolta Dynax 5 35mm SLR Camera, if only I had the user's manual!!
I bought it quite cheap indeed but without it and now I'm searching hell and earth on the internet to find it..
If you could be of any help.. I would be even more grateful than you expect :)

Raphael… Read Full Review

Written on: 18/08/2004

Hi ra4mon...you bet, the Dynax 5 is worth crooning about!. Hey, I know 31st Mar was a long time back, but if you are still hunting for the user manual, I could send you the pdf. Let me know.
<br>Siju

Kirkbru's Response to ra4mon's Review

Written on: 03/09/2008

Hi-You might try looking for the manual as a free download at the Sony support website. I found them for my X-700 and my Maxxum 7000. Since Sony bought Konica-Minolta, they've maintained some customer/product support. Good luck.

Clemspuss's Response to ra4mon's Review

Written on: 05/01/2008

Hi! I just got the Dynax 5 second hand and it's a real beaut I'm sure but I can't work it because I'm a girl, it looks really dark when I look down the eye peeper, does anybody have any pdf manuals for it because I can't find them anywhere!?

Ram's Response to ra4mon's Review

Written on: 05/09/2004

You go to Minolta site to download the manual. Only on the Minolta site all manuals for it's products are available.

Written on: 27/08/2004

The South of India,a city called Hyderabad in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Andhra Pradesh is to the south of Karnataka (of which Bangalore is the capital). Both Bangalore & Hyderabad are the twin Information Technology Cities of India. Where are you from? And what do you do? And what is your name??? :-))

Ra4Mon's Response to ra4mon's Review

Written on: 27/08/2004

yes, french, actually the d5 is my father's, I offered it to him.. My mother went recently to Bangalore sector to meet a great spiritual master.. What part of India do you live in ?

Written on: 24/08/2004

Hi ra4mon...nope! I ain't Japanese. Am an Indian. Where r u from? France? And happy clicking with the D5!

Ra4Mon's Response to ra4mon's Review

Written on: 19/08/2004

Thanx a lot siju,
<br>I to have found the manual in English and then in French though with great effort.. :)
<br>ps : are you Japanese?

“What's there not to like about the Minolta Dynax 5. To...”

Written on: 16/06/2003 by pls_smile. (1 review written)

What's there not to like about the Minolta Dynax 5. To be honest, I got this camera on a shoe string budget, so I couldn't afford anything else except the stock lens. (Say what you will about them, but I haven't found anything to gripe about them so far). Anyway, this small little camera belies it's toughness. It's been through situations with me that I wouldn't recommend you put your camera through. Dust, moisture and heat, and yet it has pulled through everytime with great pictures. They tell… Read Full Review

Mhathung.'s Response to 107858_pls_smile.'s Review

Written on: 01/08/2003

i am in a fix,as to whether to go for minolta dynax 5, nikon f75 or nikon f80. but after reading the details of the minolta dynax 5,just a few minutes back, i was wondering if i should go for it. your humble comments please.

Fj29A's Response to 107858_pls_smile.'s Review

Written on: 13/09/2003

I am considering buying this camera having finally decided to retire my old XD7. Can anyone tell me if my lenses from the XD7 will fit this new camera

“I love this camera. After putting it through all kinds...”

Written on: 06/03/2003 by Dolton. (1 review written)

I love this camera. After putting it through all kinds of rough use,(no i dont recommend you do that)this camera has stood good on, it's surprising even the labs that process my films… Read Full Review

“I bought the Minolta Dynax 5 35mm SLR camera on a...”

Written on: 27/03/2002 by Jeremy. (1 review written)

I bought the Minolta Dynax 5 35mm SLR camera on a budget to specifically take pictures of indoor inline hockey in sports centres and purpose built rinks. The results so far have been sketchy due to me learning the appropriate setup. The automatic functions for Sports aren't quick enough, but if you fiddle manually the results are a lot better. I am definitely tempted to get the 70-300mm lens to get those close up action shots from the side of the pitch. Has anyone had any good results of taking… Read Full Review

31124_Ronin.'s Response to 17320_Jeremy.'s Review

Written on: 30/07/2002

With a 70-300 you will have a lot more fun
<br>but also look at getting a teleconverter
<br>as auto focuf is not so fast on a cheap 300mm

“As a student i did not have much to spend on this...”

Written on: 19/03/2002 by Foppe Hoekstra. (1 review written)

As a student i did not have much to spend on this Minolta Dynax 5 35mm SLR camera. But still i like to take pictures for hobby, so i would very much like all the manual functions i used to have on my Ricoh Kr5. The functions of this camera are very diverse. from fully automatical to fully manual with "depth of sharpness -control" bracketing and a lot of custom settings. The autofocus is really impressing compared to older cameras. It is very fast and accurate even in dim light.

I bought the… Read Full Review

“The Minolta Dynax 5 35mm SLR camera is worth every...”

Written on: 03/03/2002 by Bryan C. (1 review written)

The Minolta Dynax 5 35mm SLR camera is worth every penny. More features than you can shake a stick at. Only had mine for a month and wouldn't swap it for anything. If you're thinking about it, go ahead and buy it. It knocks spots off the clunky chunky Nikon F80 and the surrealist Canon… Read Full Review

“At a street price of less than US$ 340,- (£ 240,-) the...”

Written on: 07/02/2002 by Eriksen. (1 review written)

At a street price of less than US$ 340,- (£ 240,-) the best deal on any SLR camera today has got to be the Minolta Dynax / Maxxum 5 35mm SLR camera kit. With the inclusion of two, above average, basic lenses (28-80mm & 75-300mm) and a specification list longer than any of its similar priced competitors, there aren't much else to choose from - unless you later plan to upgrade to a more professional or Digital SLR, and then want to utilize a collection of lenses. Both Canon and Nikon have a… Read Full Review

15759_Stilldeciding.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 13/03/2002

Thank you for the very informative review. After researching the Maxxum 5, Rebel 2000 and Nikon N65, I agree that the Maxxum is the clear winner. Why haven't I bought it yet? As you mentioned in your review, Minolta has yet to make much effort in creating a Digital SLR with lenses that are interchangeable with their 35mm cousins. Unfortunately, I do see this as a somewhat significant drawback. I will be spending quite a bit of money on mid-priced lenses, and it definitely bothers me that I'll have to do it all over again when I go digital. If not for this, I'd choose the Minolta in a heartbeat.

110924_Ed.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 26/06/2003

If you're thinking of buying a camera in this price bracket now, I would recommend you look at the Nikon F75, or N75(US)

Canoebear.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 11/04/2003

1 gets what 1 pays for. Entry level consumer slr camera is a basic tool for beginners to take 35mm photos of 1's liking. I am also in the market to buy an auto focus slr. I researched all reviews on all beginners slrs & findings show that all show high ratings. 5 star being the most out of 4 catagories, #1capabity, #2 convenient, #3features, & #4over-all grading. Winner was the Max5 followed by close 2nd Sigma's SA7, 3rd Nikons N65 & in the rear, last place was the Reb2000. Max5, 5 stared in being convenient & having most features. Max5 is accessory limited compared to Sigma's accessory line. The problem of on-line buying limited resources of Sigma's new SA7 & SA9 slr new cameras with high rated reviews. Still confused, on which to buy? Compare & then compromise! e-mail expert advice!

69101_Chandan.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 30/01/2003

Your review is excellent. I am going to buy a new camera. Initially I thought of taking a Nikon F-80. Now I found almost all (even some better) characteristics are there in Minolta Dynax 5 at a much lower price. Please suggest what should I go for. Dynax 5 is very light weight & small but I can afford the price of F-80, too. Tell me which is better in metering (10segment matrix vs. 14 segment honey-comb), Dynax5 doesn't have center weighted metering but autofocus is great (with superimpose feature)! How many multi-exposures are possible in these two models? Which one is better for flash-photography? Flash exposure compensation is not available in Dynax5. I am not able to decide. Help me to come out of this confusion.

Fenn.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2002

Very helpful. You've answered a lot of questions, and made christmas that much easier... thanx :)

Pradeep Sharma.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 23/11/2002

Helpful and properly explained. Especially enlighting for a first-time buyer as it explains the functions, features and the drawbacks.

19084_Michael.'s Response to Eriksen.'s Review

Written on: 13/04/2002

Very helpful

“The Minolta Dynax 5 is the first 35mm slr camera that...”

Written on: 03/02/2002 by Mario Farrugia. (1 review written)

The Minolta Dynax 5 is the first 35mm slr camera that I had bought among the other compact ones. After analyzing all the choices I just clicked on this fantastic minolta model and up till now I am very pleased with it. As I just explained, it is very light, simple and is also a very fast operated model. It also contains plenty of important features that will assist you to get the best results in photography… Read Full Review

93783_Juan.'s Response to Mario Farrugia.'s Review

Written on: 01/05/2003

I love the Minolta 5 that I even went out and got a second one but a date maxxum 5. The only changes I made to it was get a faster lens. A sigma 28-70mm 2.8 and a flash w/fill flash to help me shoot at high school basketball games. So far I've done 2 weddings and many girls fastpitch softball games and boxing matches with sharp images. It's all in the lens, get yourself a prime lens and your in. Now it's time to make a little extra cash!!!!

“Helpful!! It helped me a lot in the choice (since last...”

Written on: 01/02/2002 by claude. (1 review written)

Helpful!! It helped me a lot in the choice (since last time I made a very ugly entry in a photography stage with a compact 160 mm zoom Y*****A !!!!)… Read Full Review

“Minolta is well known for it's technology solutions,...”

Written on: 01/02/2002 by Nic. (1 review written)

Minolta is well known for it's technology solutions, and this Dynax 5 35mm SLR camera is the ultimate proof! So many excellent features in such a small and light body! The Dynax 5 has any feature that should excuse the classification in the professional class. The only reason that it not happens is that professionals are used to much more heavier cameras which gives them the illusion of durability. The Dynax 5 is made of lighter materials without any compromises in quality… Read Full Review

“I use this camera in compination with Minolta 24-85 AF...”

Written on: 23/12/2001 by Jacob. (1 review written)

I use this camera in compination with Minolta 24-85 AF lens and I always have excellent results.
Additionally, only one single look at the specification tables will convince you that this camera is the best "value for money" proposal.
Generaly, when buing a camera, avoid kits. The lenses included are of the poorest quality.
Take only Dynax 5 body, and then choose a good Minolta lens. I dont recommend third party manufacturers (like Tamron, Vivitar etc) because I had a lot of compatibility… Read Full Review

10374_Dean.'s Response to 7750_Jacob.'s Review

Written on: 23/01/2002

Good review.
<br>Looking to buy a SLR & the Dynax 5 seems to be the camera to buy,
<br>Thanks Dean

“Features of the Minolta Dynax 5 slr 35mm camera can...”

Written on: 14/12/2001 by Konstantinos. (1 review written)

Features of the Minolta Dynax 5 slr 35mm camera can easily compare to those of upper class cameras, such as F80 or Canon EOS30. In fact, personally, I don't understand why it was not classified in the "midle class" in the first place. In addition, this body offers unique functionalities ( Minolta is well known for it's technological solutions), like 7 points AF, 14 segment AF metering and ADI flash metering, that hardly can be met in any other body of any other firm, in any other… Read Full Review

15330_Sarah.'s Response to 7335_Konstantinos.'s Review

Written on: 09/03/2002

While I'm sure this is a accurate review of this camera, it is a bit mis-leading to imply that this camera is the only one in it's class to have some of these points (ie. the 7 point auto-focus) as my Canon EOS 300 has just about everything that this camera has for about the same price.

61846_Dhaval.'s Response to 7335_Konstantinos.'s Review

Written on: 31/12/2002

Basically the Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5 wipes the floor with the Canon EOS 300/Rebel 2000. It holds it's own against the middle range Nikon & Canon bodies too. That's why it won the TIPA award for the best SLR film camera 2002.

59897_Jc.'s Response to 7335_Konstantinos.'s Review

Written on: 23/12/2002

The Cannon doesn't have a flash sync of 125th sec. either

Dhaval.'s Response to 7335_Konstantinos.'s Review

Written on: 05/10/2002

The Canon 300 does not have the 3 fps film speed, 1/4000 shutter speed, spot metering, metal lens mount, custom functions etc all of which are present on the Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5.

40203_Adam.'s Response to 7335_Konstantinos.'s Review

Written on: 27/09/2002

Your EOS 300 doesn't have 3 frames a second motor drive.

“The best value for money in it's class. The Dynax 5...”

Written on: 14/12/2001 by John McDean. (1 review written)

The best value for money in it's class. The Dynax 5 35mm slr camera from Minolta has every feature that others have in this category, plus many more.
It is rather small, but if fits in every hand, and has a great robust feeling in hold.

“I thing that Minolta Dynax5 is the perfect SLR camera...”

Written on: 14/12/2001 by Hercules Spanos. (1 review written)

I thing that Minolta Dynax5 is the perfect SLR camera for someone who wants the best "value for price" relation.
The construction quality seems to be very good. But, as it is a new model, we should be able to talk about quality after a long time of use without problems.
It can be used in many ways, according to the user's photographic experience and purposes; from totally manual to totally automatic, in many combinations.
It is not only suitable for experimental and artistic photography, but… Read Full Review

“With regard to prices, Dynax5 belongs to the entry...”

Written on: 13/12/2001 by Alexios Kosmidis. (1 review written)

With regard to prices, Dynax5 belongs to the entry point SLR class. But, when we look at features, there can be no comparison with the others (F65, MZ-7, CANON 300 & 3000 etc)!
Dynax 5 can only be compared with higher class cameras such as Nikon F80! But, in this case too, Dynax5 has 7point AF that F80 doesn't!
I have had it about a month (I also own a Dynax404si, a Nikon F60 and a ZENIT 22), and I am totally pleased… Read Full Review

John Dawes.'s Response to 7271_Alexios Kosmidis.'s Review

Written on: 21/03/2002

MY ADVICE
<br>1. if you want a better zoom lens, the 24-105 (D) is the best at this moment (you'll also love the extra 4 mm at the wide end!); 2. use the built-in flash only for filling in (outdours). Buy an external D-type flash. REAONS I read nothing but bad reviews on the kit-lens, so I initially decided to get the 28-105 instead. This lens turned out to be a bit too soft for my taste, especiallly at the long end. So I took it back to the store and had it replaced bij the 24-105 (D), which got great reviews. I love it. It also has the D-feature, which works well with my 3600 HS (D) flash. The built-in flash also supports the D-feature, but the light is quite harsh (and doesn't cover the 24-28 range).

“In the eternal battle between Nikon, Canon and Minolta...”

Written on: 06/11/2001 by Wayne. (1 review written)

In the eternal battle between Nikon, Canon and Minolta buyers, the Minolta Dynax 5 is the clear winner in this class. The Nikon F65 doesn't offer you as many features for the money you shell out for it, especially when compared to the Canon EOS300 and Minolta Dynax 5.

The Canon EOS300 is an excellent camera that has set the standard in this price class since 1999, however the Dynax 5 offers better features for the same amount of money. These being faster shutter speeds, faster AF, more… Read Full Review

Springa.'s Response to 5534_Wayne.'s Review

Written on: 29/01/2002

This review has been very helpful in my quest to purchase a new camera. I had always looked at the Canon EOS300, but upon investigation have found a camera that seems to give me more for the same price. This review has helped me decide to go with a Dynax 5. Thanks.

Written on: 19/09/2003

sorry to be boring, is the Minolta Maxxum 5 Quartz Date SLR the same camera under another name in the USA? (it appears to be), if I am correct would this be the dynax 5 model which is capable of infrared remote control? Most importantly, if I am right and the price IS right should I buy it? I discovered there is an IR remcon model available but cannot find one in the UK. I'll try not to bother anyone again.

Written on: 18/09/2003

Thanks Wayne. Your knowledge and advice were/are very useful. Thanks again

Mrhoudini's Response to 5534_Wayne.'s Review

Written on: 17/09/2003

For the gentleman who asked the film tip question, you have to set one of the custom functions (as outlined in the manual provided) to leave the film tip out when the film is rewound.
<br>
<br>Compared to the F80, I don't really think the difference in metering is anything to worry about, as metering on all modern SLRs is pretty good nowadays. It's always the standard things you have to watch out for (eg. strong backlighting, using slide film etc).
<br>
<br>The Dynax 5 not having centreweighted metering is no great loss, as modern metering systems are far better. I don't think the Dynax 5 has flash compensation, although I have used the flash on Aperture/Manual setting, with exposure compensation dialled in. Similar, perhaps?
<br>
<br>The F80 is more expensive and competes with the Dynax 7, EOS 30 etc. So, if flash photography is what you really want to do, the more expensive F80 might be a better choice (especially if it has rear curtain sync). However, as the Dynax 5 is considerably cheaper, you may have more money left over for a nice flash unit (e.g. 5600HS), which will allow you to use the flash over the entire rangeof shutter speeds (upto 1/4000s)!
<br>
<br>With respect to the XD7, I'm afraid the MD lenses won't be compatible with the A-mount found on modern Dynax cameras. One possibility I have *never* tried may be to buy a M42-MD convertor AND and separate Dynax-M42 convertor (as needed on a friend's 500mm centon mirror lense available from Jessops).
<br>
<br>That all seems a little bit too much trouble. You can probably get a good(/ish) deal on Ebay for a manual Minolta (like I did - a X700), or try the Centon DF300 (i didn't like it myself, but can get from Jessops again).
<br>
<br>Hope this helps, sorry for not coming back again sooner.
<br>Wayne

Written on: 15/09/2003

My old XD7 has died. Does anyone know if my MD lenses will fit this camera.

67652_Chandan.'s Response to 5534_Wayne.'s Review

Written on: 24/01/2003

Your review is great. I am going to buy a new camera. Initially I thought of taking a Nikon F-80. Now I found almost all (even some better) characteristics are there in Minolta Dynax 5 at a much lower price. Please suggest what should I go for. Dynax 5 is very light weight & small but I can afford the price of F-80, too. Tell me which is better in metering (10segment matrix vs. 14 segment honey-comb), Dynax5 doesn't have center weighted metering but autofocus is great (with superimpose feature)! How many multi-exposures are possible in these two models? Which one is better for flash-photography? Flash exposure compensation is not available in Dynax5. I am not able to decide. Help me to come out of this confusion.

17970_Alex.'s Response to 5534_Wayne.'s Review

Written on: 03/04/2002

Thank you very much. Your review was very useful. I have a question for you. With Dynax 5 you can leave the film tip out after rewinding a partially used film, but when you load the same film later, how do you wind the film in the same position (the last frame exposed)?
<br>Thank you very much.