Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee Reviews

Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee

Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee
Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee

“My 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo has been fantastic. I've...”

Written on: 13/10/2008 by michael6157 (1 review written)

My 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo has been fantastic. I've changed the differential fluids and transmission fluids at 80,000 and at 140,000 and have had very little problems. The tranny did slip just before the change at 140K, but has worked fine since the change. No problems with the differentials… Read Full Review

“Overall I love to sit in this car, but I don't know...”

Written on: 25/08/2008

Overall I love to sit in this car, but I don't know when the next thing is going to go wrong with it.

I love it, I guess I'm gonna have to come the realization that it's not as reliable as I thought it would be… Read Full Review

“The Jeep Grand Cherokee is excellent to own, great to...”

Written on: 13/02/2008 by noodie (1 review written)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is excellent to own, great to drive. Put's a smile on my face every time I drive it. A diesel is a poor substitute for a V8. Had an LPG conversion when I had it. Costs less to run than my Mum's 2.0 Mondeo. If you want style, looks & a super 4x4, it has to be a Grand Cherokee 4.7… Read Full Review

“My Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee has good comfort and over...”

Written on: 08/12/2007

My Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee has good comfort and over all style. All wheel drive is nice and dependable. My Jeep has 101,000 miles in 9 years. So, this Jeep is not out of control and abused. I drive it around town and highway. I'm self employed and work at home. I've taken it on 2 or 3 1200 mile trips. That's about it… Read Full Review

“Bought mine as a high mileage car, 119k. Was told by...”

Written on: 22/09/2007 by mcghee (1 review written)

Bought mine as a high mileage car, 119k. Was told by dealer nothing ever goes wrong.
At 127k new radiator needed, fair enough,but over £200.
At 129k engine threw a piston, cracking cylinder bore. Replacement engine. engine set of bearing shells for crank: £330. fan belt:£50
136K, water pump failure, another £60
140k, oil cooler hose: £105
142k, rear diff starting to lock, auto box beginning to rattle on kickdown.
various electronic faults with memory seats, mirrors, & abs.
air con hasn't worked… Read Full Review

“I've owned my 1999 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 for three...”

Written on: 02/10/2005 by tstevejones (1 review written)

I've owned my 1999 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 for three years now having bought it at three years old and 32000 miles. It's now done 54,000 and has never let me down. I suspected it had been in an accident which meant that the front suspension had to have some work done on it under warranty, but since then the only things which have gone wrong are the heated seats and an oil pressure sensor. Oh and the tracking is difficult to get right, but Ok when done by someone who knows what he's doing… Read Full Review

“I drive this Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee 4x4 vehile daily...”

Written on: 05/05/2005 by Wayne Coles (1 review written)

I drive this Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee 4x4 vehile daily and we use it to go on holiday. We drove down to Southern France in July 04 it was great, loads of space and we went down at 85mph and still got about 20mpg and from 4000cc. My only real gripe is the cost of main dealer servicing, so I do not bother, I use my local guy but follow the Jeep service book. I think this is a very good 4x4 and second hand they are being given away, ok its not an X5 but then again I can have 2 Jeeps for the cost… Read Full Review

“I bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee limited 4x4 with...”

Written on: 02/12/2004 by tomdesuler (1 review written)

I bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee limited 4x4 with 53000 miles on it. The winshield fluid hoses need replacing as well as the emergency brake needing tightening. I noticed that the front rotors have some minscule grooves in them and agree that they did not think through the quality of the rotors for a machine this heavy. However many folks have replaced them with special rotors (and or calipers) to permanently eradicate the problem. Some unfortunate souls keep replacing them with the same… Read Full Review

Tooby's Response to tomdesuler's Review

Written on: 10/12/2004

Please do not try to impose your opinion on the 1000's of other Jeep owners that have encountered quality problems with Crysler. I have driven my car off road and do not use it in town. I also have it maintained by the Dealer, or should every Jeep owner be a grease monkey? I have done nothing wrong, I paid a lot of money and have spent hours driving to the Dealer to have repairs done to the car. I have spend days without a car that I paid a lot of money for. I suggest you look at the 4x4 reviews from other manufacturers to see how they compare...and as for suggesting people research before they buy, well I did but when I bought the car the quality problems had not surfaced yet. Only now are they emerging in any volume, perhaps you are suggesting I should have used a crystal ball?

Tooby's Response to tomdesuler's Review

Written on: 04/02/2005

Tom, you obviously can't accept someone has an opinion that differs from yours. This is obsessive and I wish you would just leave me alone so I have asked for my details to be removed.

Tomdesuler's Response to tomdesuler's Review

Written on: 04/02/2005

tooby:
<br>
<br> I am sorry you have had so many problems with your jeep. I have not - as well as many many other people. If you bought a lemon it happens - but my review was given an expert review by the people who operate this site. You might want to consider that.

“Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee: I had to renew the rear...”

Written on: 08/07/2004 by Stag (1 review written)

Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee: I had to renew the rear axel, as the diff became seized; air-conditioning did not work, and now I have the problem with the auto box, keeps slipping into neutral when it feels like it. After having a Land Rover Discovery with no problems, this Jeep has been an eye opener; I would not buy another one again. !!!!

Charles Van-Asma… Read Full Review

“I bought this Ltd 2.5 TD just nine months ago. I had a...”

Written on: 17/06/2004 by Barry Harmer (1 review written)

I bought this Ltd 2.5 TD just nine months ago. I had a BMW 2.5 series 3 which I exchanged. The Cherokee had done 59,000 miles warranted with full service history. After receiving the vehicle I went for a long ri=un and the top oil seals blew and after 800 miles had to be returned and fixed. Then the headlight level motor stopped working on one of the lights next thing the passenger front window mechanism broke, then after that a fuel line split, not a big job but just something else. I use this… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee: Climate control heats when...”

Written on: 12/05/2004 by Tooby (2 reviews written)

Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee: Climate control heats when you start the car but a soon as it gets to a comfortable temperature then it starts cooling and will not heat until you turn the car off then on again...the Dealer cannot fix it.

The electronic re-positioning of the seat and mirrors has intermitent faults.

Left indicator only works if you put the hazard lights on.

Heated seats packed up twice.

I could go on and on, but it is a comfortable ride and looks great just wish it was reliable… Read Full Review

Written on: 10/12/2004

Ok - let me get this straight. You have had some -albiet minor - problems with the vehicle since you have owned it in a year. Because of the hangnails and other assorted minor miscues -you somehow rate the vehicle ZERO in every category??? No wonder the vehicle has such a bad rating. These cant be accurate and fair reviews.

Written on: 16/12/2004

People come on here to get insight into vehicles that they might want to purchase. I had done my homework on my vehicle from all bills and a mechanic, and bought it. It is a winner. Then I come to this site -all to find this vicious panning of the vehicle and that may or may not be fair enough -as everyone is entitled to their opinion. However rating the thing 0 out of 10 in every single category is not only virtually impossible, it does nothing but devalue the rating as a whole. Even though you are not the the first or last person to put up a spite rating based on frustration more than actual accuracy, yours is without a doubt the most ridiculous (in my opinion) on the whole site and I guess I could not take it anymore. I don't care what currency you use, my offer stands $100 euro dollars if you wish.
<br>The bottom line I guess is -I didn't get ripped off, my jeep is great, sorry you got ripped off a LOT of money, I didn't.

Tooby's Response to Tooby's Review

Written on: 15/12/2004

The $ is worth nothing in Europe so your offer is rejected. I live in a free country and we defend our right to have an opinion, I'm sorry it's not the same as yours. This is the last you will hear from me, I'm sure you will come back with another opinion but I don't care. My opinion stands and your offer of $100 persuades me that you have nothing more to add that is worth reading.

121621_Peter25's Response to Tooby's Review

Written on: 15/12/2004

Now now guys - play nice... everyones allowed their opinion, thats what makes this site so great. My bids $110 though, I've been looking to replace my fiesta :-)

Written on: 14/12/2004

Ok I agree. Since this car was rated exactly 0 out of 10 in every way - I will offer you $100 for it. According to your review it is a fair offer and there aint much you can say to that. I have put my money where my mouth is. Now sell me the vehicle intact as decribed in your review.

Tooby's Response to Tooby's Review

Written on: 10/12/2004

Those were just examples of some of the faults the car had. When you drive in winter, it's minus 5C outside and the climate control still blows cold air it's not minor...especially when you have a 10 month old baby in the car. It is also not minor if you cause an accident because the indicators don't work. The latest is an engine failure warning...but everything is relative, if you don't mind these issues then feel free to buy the car from me. No reasonable offer world be turned down so put your money where your mouth is.

“Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee: Take a very good look at the...”

Written on: 08/05/2004 by skipshealey (2 reviews written)

Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee: Take a very good look at the steel brake line that holds the brake fluid that is sent to the rear brakes. Look carefully at each of the 3 black brackets that hold the brake line (and fuel supply and return lines). If you have rust on your brake line (especially near the rear of the car... replace this brake tubing.... It can break and spill brake fluid all over the road. Next time you go to apply the brakes!!!... guess what!… Read Full Review

“I bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee from a BMW dealer...”

Written on: 04/03/2004 by B1 GUY (1 review written)

I bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee from a BMW dealer in the UK and it still had two weeks' manufacturers warranty left. I highlighted that the passenger seat heating did not work and that the key fob central locking was poor. BMW dealer booked the car with Jeep to have the work done under warranty. Jeep delayed and delayed until the warranty ran out so they would not have to pay. I was told by a Jeep mechanic that Jeep were aware that they had problems with the key fob and if anyone reported… Read Full Review

Tooby's Response to B1 GUY's Review

Written on: 12/05/2004

I had exactly the same problems with my Jeep, but in addition the seat & mirrors keep moving and the climate control won't heat after 30 minutes. Once it gets the car warm it then kicks in to cool but won't heat until you start the car up again.
<br>
<br>My Jeep has been into the Jeep dealership 10 times, thank goodness it is still in warranty (just).

“The Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 is a nice truck, runs...”

Written on: 19/02/2004 by mikegqgunner (1 review written)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 is a nice truck, runs good, nice seats and 4 wheel drive. Not enough room for the family though. It leaks oil, dealer said it was spilled but its all over the garage and the truck is always low on oil. Stalls a lot and burns oil. Wiper motor broke during big storm
Its a nice truck when running right, got to keep on the problems though… Read Full Review

“Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (2001) ”

Written on: 17/01/2004 by Jeep Driver (1 review written)

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (2001)

So far, I have put front and rear brake pads and rotors on, had transmission sensors and module fail ($350), had engine cooling fan relay fail, and had left rear wheel (axel) bearing fail while I was driving. Not extreme expenses, but inconvenient, and only a 3 year old vehicle. I expect to keep vehicle 2 more years. I expected a little better for $32,000. My main beef is the remote control door opener key-chain, which has never worked properly, and the… Read Full Review

“I swapped a Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD, 2000, for my Grand...”

Written on: 14/01/2004 by slongmuir (1 review written)

I swapped a Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD, 2000, for my Grand Cherokee 4.0Ltd in Sept 2002. The space in the rear of the Cherokee for adult passengers being a little restrictive.
I test drove her once and fell in love. The comfort of those seats is heaven. If your buying one the leather is a must! Heated too.
The drive is sufficiently positive. Okay, if your used to anything less than a 4x4, you will notice the wallow in corners but hey, try any other 4x4 and unless you can spend the REALLY big… Read Full Review

“Mine is the Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 litre (68000...”

Written on: 10/12/2003 by wilsonr1 (1 review written)

Mine is the Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 litre (68000 miles) and is a very impressive 4 X 4, both in comfort and smooth road driving refinement. LP Gas conversion has helped with running costs. 17 imperial MPG on Petrol and 15 MPG on Gas but LPG is 36p litre as opposed to 80p. Climate contol is superb and recorded the lowest air-vent temperature at our local top-up agent of 1.1'C.
The Jeep has so far coped admirably with floods, severe frosts, and scorching temperatures without batting an… Read Full Review

Larry Gillard's Response to wilsonr1's Review

Written on: 11/01/2004

I have owned 2 grand cherokee's in the last 8 years and averaged 14000 miles per year.I had nothing but trouble from both of them,the chrysler brake pads have a short life span and the brake discs warp very easily. On both of them the automatic gear box was clunky and my chrysler dealer was unable to rectify this fault,I part exchanged my petrol cherokee for the latest diesel and after 3000miles the diesel engine developed a bad knock,by this time I was sick and tired of having to go to my chrysler dealer every 2-3 months and part exchanged it for a Toyota Land Cruiser which is a far better and totally reliable car.My love afair with Jeep's is over and I would advise anyone who owns one to get rid of it before is starts costing you serious money

Tomdesuler's Response to wilsonr1's Review

Written on: 10/12/2004

For some reason - anyone who puts a positive review on this site for the vehicle gets savagely attacked by someone whining and moaning about their problems. The guy likes his jeep -sorry that yours sucks or you ran it into the ground.

“Jeep used to have a good reputation for being a great...”

Written on: 02/12/2003 by richpinkham (1 review written)

Jeep used to have a good reputation for being a great offroad vehicle and being very reliable. Chrylser needs to get back to building quality and reliablity into their products instead of seeing how much can they make on repairs. There are common parts that should be changed regularly like Fuel filters on the Grand cherokees, that can only be bought from Chrylser. When you pay for a sopposed top of the line vehicle you dont expect to have to start having it fixed as soon as you get it home… Read Full Review

Jeep88's Response to richpinkham's Review

Written on: 22/07/2004

I have an '88 Jeep Cherokee and the electric sunroof just died. Any ideas on where to start/look myself b4 taking it in?

Tomdesuler's Response to richpinkham's Review

Written on: 08/12/2004

My 1999 Grand cherokee works great . No problems at all with it. Sorry the previous owner trashed your vehicle or you didn't upkeep it

“I bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee with 30K mi. Now...”

Written on: 10/11/2003 by getclear (1 review written)

I bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee with 30K mi. Now I have 80K mi. I've replaced the differential, front driver side window motor, Front bearings- twice, had the window seals worked on three times, currently have a coolant leak, front end again making noises, front end alignment is always a problem… Read Full Review

Tomdesuler's Response to getclear's Review

Written on: 08/12/2004

Sounds like you have bought a car that you dont know how to maintain.
<br>Every car breaks down when the driver doesnt maintain it or trashes it when driving. How come my 99 Grand Cherokee never has any problems whatsoever?

Tomdesuler's Response to getclear's Review

Written on: 15/12/2004

Agreed !! I guess I fluked out and got a winner. I also agree - after reading all these reviews -too many folks have problems with this model. I do meticulously look after it and do not drive it to work and back -just on weekends and offroading. Unless Daimler (re) starts to use quality parts again for the cherokee series i will not be buying another one either.

Getclear's Response to getclear's Review

Written on: 14/12/2004

I spoke with my Jeep dealer, they said the 99's are notorious for having differential problems. They also said that its merely the cost of ownership and I should expect to replace both the front and rear differential every 30K miles.
<br>
<br>I also spoke with a specialist and they indicated the Jeep Grand Cherokee is the number 1 vehicle that has issues with differentials.
<br>
<br>I had a 93 Grand Cherokee and had no problems. So, its just this model.
<br>
<br>In fairness to the car, all continuous 4wd vehicles are destined to have differential problems, just not all as frequently as the Jeep.

“i bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee in may of 2003...”

Written on: 04/11/2003 by rayjr (1 review written)

i bought my Jeep 1999 Grand Cherokee in may of 2003 and alraedy two fan relays and a water pump bad gas milage to boot… Read Full Review