Fuji Finepix S5500 Reviews

Resolution 4.23
Optical Zoom 10
Battery Type Alkaline

Features:
  • 3.1-megapixel 4th generation SuperCCD HR sensor produces images with 6 million pixels (2816 x 2120)
  • 10x optical plus 2.2x digital zoom (22x total)
  • 1.5-inch LCD, electronic viewfinder, 5-frame burst mode, video at 320 x 240 and 30 fps
  • Includes 16 MB XD Picture Card
  • Powered by 4 AA batteries (alkalines included, rechargeables recommended); connects to PCs and Macs via USB 1.1
  • Refine your search

“Love this camera”

Written on: 17/11/2011

"Love this camera!" Does everything it says it will, and then some. Is somewhat pricey and bulky to use for someone who needs a camera seldomly but when you use this, photos turn out perfectly. Best to learn how to use all the features and also on how totaled great photo with an SLR. Look online for great deals or buy from your local camera store if they offer free lessons with your purchase… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I'm an architect. Our office Fuji S5500 has incredibly...”

Written on: 30/03/2010 by Tr1xx (7 reviews written)

I'm an architect. Our office Fuji S5500 has incredibly now taken 18,000 shots since April 2005 and is still going strong. That means it's incredibly reliable and robust... it's had to be. It feels great, it has a great zoom. Photos generally are as good as you might expect. Switch-on and shutter lag delay times are OK for cameras of the era, but not as good as I would prefer. In auto mode it's quick and easy to use, but manual settings are fiddly and you'll forget how to use them if you don't… Read Full Review

Tr1Xx's Response to Tr1xx's Review

Written on: 16/11/2011

Update 16 Nov. 2011.
    We're now up to image number #21,150 in the six and a half years since it was first used . . . I didn't know they still made cameras that could last like this. The picture quality is still just as good too. Incidentally, (should have mentioned this before), I strongly recommend that you ALWAYS keep the lens hood in place. This has almost certainly been the main reason the camera has lasted so long. Pity that rechargeable batteries don't seem to last quite as well.

Tr1Xx's reply to Tr1Xx's Comment

Written on: 24/09/2013

It had to happen. After over 33000 photos our reliable old Fuji S5500 has given up the ghost. To be more precise, it is virtually unusable due to a minor breakage. the battery compartment door has a small lug that enages on the camera body; the lug has sheared off. If anyone can help, it could be put back into service, but otherwise it will be languishing in a drawer.

It has led a good life, and I never expected it to survive this long. I will miss it.

Fuji Finepix S5500

“many years ago I had a top notch 35mm ricoh slr, then...”

Written on: 06/07/2009

many years ago I had a top notch 35mm ricoh slr, then my enthusiasm waned & I bought a cheap digital compact for snaps.Now this has busted & I purchased Fuji Finepix S5500 off of ebay for £60.
    Brilliant! have dug out all my old gear as am enthusiastic again!… Read Full Review

Tr1Xx's Comment

Written on: 30/03/2010

I found this review helpful because... indeed the ergonomics are excellent. The camera can easily be used one handed if necessary. I use the 2 or 10 second delay a lot, and this could help offset the lack of remote shutter release.

Fuji Finepix S5500

“The Fuji Finepix S5500 is a great camera, versatile,...”

Written on: 19/03/2008 by Gwalion (1 review written)

The Fuji Finepix S5500 is a great camera, versatile, easy to use, acceptable shutter lag, good optics. It offers a range of working options from fully auto to shutter/apeture priority, 10X optical zoom, bracketing, movie option etc. enough to suit everyone from the happy snapper to the serious enthusiast. My only, very small, criticism is that the selection dial can move fairly easily and sometimes ends up unnoticed on a different setting to that expected. A lift then turn option would be… Read Full Review

Tr1Xx's Response to Gwalion's Review

Written on: 30/03/2010

I found this review helpful because... I also agree with the observation that the selection dial moves too easily.

Fuji Finepix S5500

“The Fuji Finepix S5500 is pretty easy to use when...”

Written on: 26/02/2008 by aussievic (1 review written)

The Fuji Finepix S5500 is pretty easy to use when first purchased. Can get by only having to learn how to switch it on and press the click button… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“What can i say. One hell of a camera i brought it Aug...”

Written on: 19/11/2006 by apoo4k8019 (1 review written)

What can i say. One hell of a camera i brought it Aug 06 and its the best i've had. I used to take photo's for a dog paper. So i needed a good camera got rid of my hp 5 mp and brought the 5500 Fuji. Fujis leave others standing for the money you wont buy better go and try before you buy. Mine was £145 in Aug 06… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I bought the Fuji Finepix S5500 digital camera about 9...”

Written on: 29/12/2005 by fredbargain (3 reviews written)

I bought the Fuji Finepix S5500 digital camera about 9 months ago, and I have been very impressed with it! It's my third digital camera, and by far the best. It has all the features and controls you could ask for, and it is a nice size to hold, with a good flash built in… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I bought Fuji FinePix S5500 about 5-6 months ago. I...”

Written on: 22/11/2005 by photoman (62 reviews written)

I bought Fuji FinePix S5500 about 5-6 months ago. I paid for 2000NIS (~430$).
    It is my first digital camera.
    First impression is great, camera has great design, it's very comfortable to hold, all controls and buttons are on a right place.
    It's very easy to use this camera, it is suitable for beginners, and there are features that will please advanced photographers.
    The camera can function on fully automatic mode, flexible program or on priority modes such as shutter and aperture. It has good… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“Upgraded to the Fuji Finepix S5500 from my s3000 which...”

Written on: 07/11/2005 by dribbly (1 review written)

Upgraded to the Fuji Finepix S5500 from my s3000 which was great unless I needed to have some control over the image. Bought the S5500 for £190 in June 05, and it gives me all that and more! Lens is fast, and zoom is easy to control. If zoomed right in, then auto mode will not always cope, especially in poor light, but shutter priority and higher ISO generally does the job, or else using a tripod is even better. Had considered a camera with IS for this, but couldn't find one I liked, with a… Read Full Review

Cherok's Response to dribbly's Review

Written on: 03/01/2006

All in all a great review...I had this camera prior to my existing Fuji model (S9500)...In some respects I yearn to have my S5500 back in my hands as it was very intuitive and user friendly, admittedly the start up time is very slow compared to my S9500, but once it's up and running it's a joy to use!
    <br>
    <br>I'm onto my 3rd Fuji and can't see myself jumping ship yet. Colours are vibrant and the Lenses are very good indeed. I recommend this camera to anyone interested in one, believe me you won't be dissapointed.

Andylawed's Response to dribbly's Review

Written on: 04/10/2009

Thanks for composing this review, Fuji SLR are doing great now. I am planning to buy one and I will use your input as my reference.

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I bought my Fuji Finepix S5500 Digital Camera just a...”

Written on: 24/08/2005 by petrucci (1 review written)

I bought my Fuji Finepix S5500 Digital Camera just a week ago, but I love it already!
    I am not a professional photographer, but the quality of the shots are just exciting. I still encounter problems when taking photos in dark conditions, but the problem is my hands I think… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“Although far from a professional photographer, I...”

Written on: 24/08/2005 by platypus (4 reviews written)

Although far from a professional photographer, I managed to work out the advanced features in a short while, and this camera rather flatters my lack of skill when it feels like it.
    However in low light conditions it usually does the opposite, unfortunately, given I use it in many low-light locations such as abandoned buildings. With a tripod, and the camera's powerful flash though, it's fine.
    Clumsiness means I've dropped this camera countless times, but it keeps on working and shows just one… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“Bought this Fuji Finepix S5500 digital camera a few...”

Written on: 19/07/2005 by Teessider (7 reviews written)

Bought this Fuji Finepix S5500 digital camera a few months ago and I just can't stop snapping away!
    I was looking to upgrade from my old 35mm SLR and cheap digi, but the higher priced Digital SLR's were out of my range.

This camera caught my eye, and with all the excellent reviews it has got in various places, decided it was the one for me!

I'm not disappointed! This is an excellent camera in almost every way.
    The quality of the images, and colour it captures are outstanding.
    You can switch… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“The Fuji Finpix S5500 is a great camera which gives...”

Written on: 14/05/2005 by RJay (1 review written)

The Fuji Finpix S5500 is a great camera which gives great results time and time again.

First of all it looks and feels like a 35mm SLR and also feels rugged with its rubber coating. A lot of thought has gone in to the design with its indents to accommodate your fingers and thumb making it easy and comfortable to hold and with all the buttons being sensibly placed for easy access.

It has a multitude of settings: Full automatic, program, program shift, shutter priority, aperture priority, full… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I have given ten out of ten on the score board for the...”

Written on: 11/05/2005 by Templar vanboek (1 review written)

I have given ten out of ten on the score board for the Fuji Finepix S5500 due to the fact that my negative points are from my own lack of digital knowledge and I can't discredit the camera at all. It's a great buy and a whole lot of goodies in one bag. I feel frustrated due to the fact I'm a newbie to the digital scene so therefore I'm gonna lose out on some great features of the camera due to me not knowing what they do or where they are. I find it very funny I'm sure you will, especially the… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I bought this superb camera as an upgrade from my Sony...”

Written on: 15/04/2005 by andymillikin (12 reviews written)

I bought this superb camera as an upgrade from my Sony DSC P10 because I wanted more control of my camera's settings and a greater zoom. The S5500 was a bargain - I simply looked up the cheapest prices online and took them into the leading UK chain of camera shops. They obligingly matched the prices so I picked the S5500 up for £216 and a 512mb XD Card for £39.
    So far so good.

The Pros:

I have just returned from holiday in NZ and have taken about 4,000 pictures with it. Some of them are… Read Full Review

Andymillikin's Response to andymillikin's Review

Written on: 30/11/2006

The Fuji Finepix S5500 digital camera is now being sold in John Lewis stores for £112. It's a steal at that price.

Fuji Finepix S5500

“I am an old SLR user who recently changed over to a...”

Written on: 07/12/2004 by mark K (1 review written)

I am an old SLR user who recently changed over to a basic Kodak digital camera and liked the format so much I decided to upgrade to the Fuji Finepix S5500 and am I glad I did.
    This is an excellent amateur photographer's camera in the right price bracket.
    The Quality is outstanding and I am very happy with my new camera… Read Full Review

Fuji Finepix S5500

“OK... I committed a cardinal sin, I bought my camera...”

Written on: 01/12/2004 by maverick1on1 (3 reviews written)

OK... I committed a cardinal sin, I bought my camera off QVC UK ... and what a great bargain I got. At only £299 for the camera pack, plus a Leather Carry Case, an extra 128MB Xd Card and a Fuji Euro Fast Charger & 4 Rechargeable Batteries, it puts the so called Specialist Camera dealers to shame... and I'm well chuffed with this mighty little camera.

Straight out the box I was snapping away, with great results, which improved when I started to read the User Manuel (bet you've been there… Read Full Review

Damig's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 20/12/2004

Thanks "maverick1on1", a good review of a good camera, just a couple of things; if you want cheap original fuji xd picture cards, get them from www.ebuyer.com, they sell a 128 fujifilm card for less than £20 and free delivery. Also this camera costs just £223 from them! I think this is the best camera for that kind of money, and it certainly looks the part!

208026_Cheapredwine's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 28/08/2005

Excellent camera. You can now get for £178 from Pixmania, or, very close to that from other on-line retailers, or, for £260 the camera, 512mb memory card, recharbable batteries with charger + USB memory card reader (which saves time and hassle).
    <br>
    <br>Very pleased with pictures, even against higher pixal cameras.

Maverick1On1's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 10/01/2005

UPDATE ON xD Card......
    <br>
    <br>Personally I found the 128MB card very easy to fill up ....... once you get use to all the settings on the camera, you find that you start taking photos of almost everything (much to the annoyance of some!).
    <br>
    <br>As the camera takes great pictures, I found I was hardly deleting any at all, so I bit the bullet and went for a 512MB card ......... and guess how much .......... no where near the listed price of £179.99 from the Fuji website, but £43.89 DELIVERED from ......... ebuyer.com [thanks damig].
    <br>
    <br>The price I paid seems quite high, compared to the likes of Dab's, Ebuyer, etc ......... but when you add in all the extras that I ended up getting in my package, it works out a lot cheaper ............ especially with the Charger unit that I got, which not only works abroad on dual voltages, as well as having a Car Charger lead, but also has a feature, to DISCHARGE the batteries, allowing a full charge, ever so often, which makes the batteries last longer.
    <br>
    <br>All in all, I am still very chuffed with my S5500 ........ only problem I have had though, is other people trying to borrow it, to use themselves ........ hence my buying another one for the wife! ............. and they say it 'Boy's & their toy's'!!!
    <br>
    <br>My next venture with this little beauty is Night Photography ........... and trying out a few Lens Filters ........ here's a tip, if your getting Camera Shake on long exposures ........ get a Tripod, I just picked up a Brand New one, off the ubiquitous Ebay for a £10, delivered (I love my bargains!) ......... so once I've tried my hand at these two projects, I may just post my findings back here.
    <br>
    <br>Enjoy ............. I know I am.
    <br>P.S.
    <br>
    <br>Thank you for your comments, kenwood33 my old English teacher would be very happy to hear them, giving how poorly I did at this subject!

Kenwood33's Response to maverick1on1's Review

Written on: 08/01/2005

What an excellent review and well written it was too! I have a Fuji 5500 and it is brilliant and I also have a Fuji 602Z which is the preceding model and although I was extremely pleased with this one my wife has now got her hands on it and I have bought the Fuji 5500 instead! To be fair I can not make one comment that is bad about this little camera what so ever.