Plextor Plextor PX-716A Reviews

• Ease of Set Up

Plextor Plextor PX-716A - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Plextor Plextor PX-716A

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“I purchased this Plextor Plextor PX-716A model, as I...”

Written on: 06/08/2005 by JonDoe (3 reviews written)

I purchased this Plextor Plextor PX-716A model, as I have been a strong advocate of the brand - ever since the 40TS. I have read the other reviews (but I would recommend you go to a dedicated hardware review site or forum to base you purchase decision) and I cannot see what the problem seems to be with the (non) writes that the others talk about. I have a pretty high end system, so maybe its a bottleneck issue (?) - but lets leave that to one side.
I have had no coasters on CD (R or R/W) all… Read Full Review

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“I am in contact with Plextor support regarding my...”

Written on: 29/07/2005 by ray444243 (1 review written)

I am in contact with Plextor support regarding my PX-716A, and from the information and testing they specified, they said the drive was bad, and that it would be replaced with all the information. I needed the original receipt, but that wasn't available because I had already sent it in to Plextor to claim my rebate, which I never received due to a technicality. I am still waiting for an answer to my e-mail from support… Read Full Review

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“The Plextor Plextor PX-716A does not read all the...”

Written on: 04/02/2005 by andrew26k (1 review written)

The Plextor Plextor PX-716A does not read all the disks that my older Plextor 708A reads. Problems with writing disks correctly. I have wasted 5 SL DVD and about 6 CDs.
I have not tried DL DVD as they are very expensive and I had no trust left in this drive after the performance it showed on CDs and single layer DVDs. So it's been returned back to the supplier… Read Full Review

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“Well, with my Plextor Plextor PX-716A I received a...”

Written on: 27/01/2005 by Synthie (1 review written)

Well, with my Plextor Plextor PX-716A I received a drive with TLA# 0203. That means hardware revision 2 and firmware vers. 3.
Plextor Belgium held back the drive for the European market due to some quality issues.

The final TLA# 0202 and all the successors are covering the expectations in plextor products. So my PX-716A (TLA# 0203) delivers an excellent write-quality and a high reading speed. So I am very pleased with this Plextor drive.
I have to recommend the following dvd media, which were… Read Full Review

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“I stand corrected on the Plextor Plextor PX-716A. I...”

Written on: 28/11/2004 by farfromok (2 reviews written)

I stand corrected on the Plextor Plextor PX-716A. I spoke too soon. It turns out that this drive makes very poor burns that are not readable in many drives. Even its own utility, Plextools, shows clearly how inferior these burns are. Unfortunately, I did all my QA testing on drives that had excellent error correction. I should have been more critical in my first review. Definitely do not buy this drive!… Read Full Review

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“I almost passed on the Plextor Plextor PX-716A based...”

Written on: 24/11/2004 by farfromok (2 reviews written)

I almost passed on the Plextor Plextor PX-716A based on many negative comments I'd seen. But based on my previous good experience and support on my Plextor 712a, I opted to be brand-loyal and give the 716 a try. I felt I could always return it if there was a problem. I'm happy to say that I had no trouble at all and the drive works every bit as well as the 712 and, of course, I am now ready to burn double layer (when the media prices drop.) My TLA number is 0101, which means that this is the… Read Full Review

Plextor Plextor PX-716A

“The Plextor Plextor PX-716A didn't recognize the...”

Written on: 14/11/2004 by Nilo Quinio (2 reviews written)

The Plextor Plextor PX-716A didn't recognize the media, even the Plextor brand media included in the box. The cumbersome hardware self-diagnostic test outlined in the manual didn't work either. I am now requesting Plextor to give me a "Return Merchandise Authorization" number… Read Full Review

221250_Trouble2K5's Response to Nilo Quinio's Review

Written on: 17/12/2005

I had a Plextor 716-A that started developing the same symptoms as others (slow write speed or failure to write). It took 3 RMA attempts before it was finally replaced. It was returned once with complaints that the drive had been written on, (I had made a notation of install date) and was dirty, (a little heatsink compound on one corner) . It was returned a second time with a complaint that the drive was "extrememly dirty" , even though I had meticulously cleaned the drive with alcohol wipes.
<br>It took a call to management to get it accepted on the third RMA.
<br>Three trips to Fedex and appx $30.00 in shipping charges later (not to mention wasted time on hold and running back and forth to Fedex), I received a replacement drive.
<br>The replacement is no better than the original. I have tested it on several different Pentium 4 systems using Maxell, Verbatim, Ritek, and other media and have yet to attain 16x speeds using 16x media.
<br>I am using XP and have aspi drivers installed, the 716-A is on it's on IDE channel as a master.
<br>Buy anything but a Plextor and save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Nilo Quinio's Response to Nilo Quinio's Review

Written on: 16/01/2006

I agree, buy something else but a Plextor and save yourself the aggravation.
<br>
<br>The replacement unit that Plextor sent me, after a long wait, did work but it had some other problems which I don't want to waste my time talking about. I simply uninstalled it again & put it in another computer that we use less often. I went out and bought a Sony DVD writer and never had any problem with it for over a year now.
<br>
<br>After all the troubles that I went through with that very first Plextor product I bought, I don't think I'll buy another product that carries that name again.