Land Rover Defender 110 TDI Reviews

Land Rover Defender 110 TDI - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Land Rover Defender 110 TDI

Land Rover Defender 110 TDI
Land Rover Defender 110 TDI

“Defender 110 wagon 300 tdi simple dependable and versatile”

Written on: 10/05/2014 by VGTSimmo (1 review written)

I owned the defender 110 tdi 300 wagon for 15 years, it's got over 200,000 kms on the clock, but only about 100,000 kms done by me, I'm too busy to use as much as I would like. Has long range tank,extra 42 liters, comfortable cruising range 1000 ks. But even the original 79 l tank gives good range Very simple to service, just tappets and air & fuel filters oil filters etc, It has grease nipples underneath for the drive shafts, recommend you do servicing your self. (Haynes manual is… Read Full Review

“Do Anything Landy”

Written on: 28/05/2012

I had a 110 300Tdi for 10 years which I bought mainly to tow a very large caravan and be a family transport for five people with all their luggage, bicycles etc. The Land Rover performed excellently and did everything with ease. When towing, the permanent 4WD made it very sure footed on the road in any weather. Fuel consumption for a 2.2 ton vehicle isn't bad, typically 30mpg and 25mpg towing. If you are handy with a spanner they are easy to fix and spares are abundant and cheap if you can use… Read Full Review

Ntilima's Comment

Written on: 15/08/2012

spares vary depending on model of 110 rover, you sometimes get confused where to get a driving member! Otherwise it is worthy all your cash to have one!

“You cant compare a defender to a Jeep,thats insane. ”

Written on: 10/08/2010

You cant compare a defender to a Jeep,thats insane.
Can you think of any other production vehicle that you can hose out the interior and not kill it ?… Read Full Review

Jesusfish's Comment

Written on: 11/02/2013

a jeep with a fiberglass body

“I live in the French countryside so a Land Rover is...”

Written on: 15/12/2009

I live in the French countryside so a Land Rover is more pratical. Don't expect creature comforts and you should not be disappointed. I acquire it from a friend who owned it for 18 years. During it's life it has crossed Morroco several times and been to India. My friend boast that in 18 years it has never been cleaned and very rarely serviced. Oil changes were done religiously but everything else was replaced only when broke. It has covered 110,000 hard miles. It has always been reliable… Read Full Review

“had my defender 110.300tdi for the last year,it's not...”

Written on: 14/11/2009

had my defender 110.300tdi for the last year,it's not let me down yet,it's got a 2" lift.next year i intend to rxchange my H14 POWER WINCH PTO, FOR A NEW ELECTRIC ONE… Read Full Review

“Broke down, lag and over run, dealer uncoprative, new...”

Written on: 06/10/2009

Broke down, lag and over run, dealer uncoprative, new clutch, new fuel system, new step, seal fell off, engine rattles like a bag of bolts, fuel consumption around 24, repaint to door surround, genrally a very poor drive.
If I were to be honest, it sits at the top of our yard and has done for 8 months with 7k on clock. I drive an old 300tdi that has failed once in 12 years!!… Read Full Review

“I don't do off-roading. But my Land Rover Defender 110...”

Written on: 01/07/2009

I don't do off-roading. But my Land Rover Defender 110 TDI is used mainly for work, towing is her main use. She pulls steady and true it saves me the expence of running a lorry. With a 20ft trailer I can load up and go anywhere with almost anything on my non HGV licence. The advantage she has over a lorry is I can take my workforce with me, drop them and the trailer and go into town or wherever as a normal car. The high driving position gives me good advanced warning of bad drivers ahead to, so… Read Full Review

“Land Rover Defender 110 TDI are very reliable! last...”

Written on: 21/06/2009

Land Rover Defender 110 TDI are very reliable! last for ages! Great fun.. good if you have a dog just stick him/her in back they love it! On some the seating are a little uncomfy but on most are really nice!… Read Full Review

“I've owned my Land Rover Defender 110 TDI for 11...”

Written on: 05/04/2009

I've owned my Land Rover Defender 110 TDI for 11 years. I bought it new to use in West Africa. It's been to the western end of North Africa , the eastern end of what is now called the Middle East (I think it should still be called the Near East, but that's me) and now it's back in the western end of North Africa.

“I have owned an Land Rover Defender 110 TDI, kicked...”

Written on: 12/01/2009 by offroadboss (1 review written)

I have owned an Land Rover Defender 110 TDI, kicked and missed it. The 110 is good don't get me wrong, for what it is designed for. If I had 5K I would buy one tommorow, I love'm. Solid axels, Coil Suspension. Hi and Lo range gears. Center Diff Lock on Defenders, etc.

However, as an everyday driver I would look elsewhere as well. It depends what you want, for comfort factor, though smaller, I would go for a Jeep Cherokee, engine as powerful and a lot lighter, and it can perform off road.

For… Read Full Review

“After reading some of the reviews on here I very...”

Written on: 28/04/2006 by cookiekim (1 review written)

After reading some of the reviews on here I very nearly didn't buy my Defender, thank god i did.
Despite the fact its slightly noisy at spead, I recently did a 1200km journey in it on motorways and was so impressed I decided to write a review on it.
I can't fault this vehicle at all, it happily hits 150km on the motorway, probably faster if you try. Its comfy for a long journey. I love the fact that it's simple on the inside. The heated seats have been great on our cold and snowy mornings… Read Full Review

278310_Parrott's Response to cookiekim's Review

Written on: 13/02/2007

I have been driving a Defender for 5 years now and recently bought a Pajero to replace it, I only kept the Pajero for 4 months and have now gone back to the "Landy", thankfully I had not sold it.

Richinho's Response to cookiekim's Review

Written on: 27/08/2011

Hey thanks for the review, I am going to look at my new (well '96) Defender on tuesday, driving from dublin to cork to see it, hopefully buy it, and drive it back. I'm pretty nervous about it because its one thing i have always wanted to own and they say you should never meet your hero's! I will be driving it back from Cork on tuesday so hopefully I'll be on here reviewing it positively after such a long drive! argh nervous!!!

Guest's Response to cookiekim's Review

Written on: 27/08/2011

Thanks for your review, going to see my possibly new (well '96) defender 110 tdi on tuesday, its one thing i have always wanted to own but im a little nervous now that its close to becoming a reality!! they say never meet your heros!! i own my own landscaping company and have always been found wanting in my ford transit connect! a broken timing belt has opened the window for me to upgrade!

“The Land Rover Defender 110 has proven to be the only...”

Written on: 06/11/2005 by expeditionbrazil (1 review written)

The Land Rover Defender 110 has proven to be the only vehicle that can do the job I need done. I use it to transport as many as 12 people to remote beaches in the north of Brazil, sometimes with the roof loaded with 100 KG of gear. The aluminum body is good for the harsh beach environment. I often find myself forging through salt water… Read Full Review

“Firstly, I assume that you are reading this, and...”

Written on: 13/10/2005 by mhread (1 review written)

Firstly, I assume that you are reading this, and thinking of buying a Land Rover Defender, or at least doing research or comparison. If that is the case, I would also assume that you intend to have either agricultural style use in mind, or off road driving in mind. If you are after a large family wagon that will always sit on the tarmac, this is not the car for you. Now if you are thinking off road use in some way, read on, if not - what are you doing? I already said this is not the car for you… Read Full Review

“OK, you want a 4 wheel drive; then don't be fooled by...”

Written on: 08/10/2005 by sammonty (1 review written)

OK, you want a 4 wheel drive; then don't be fooled by silly imitations! The Land Rover Defender 110 TDi is a serious contender for the 'it's Armageddon I need to survive' story. One tough cookie. If you want luxury forget it; no leather seats here, only basic instruments for surviving. Although I think the air con, heating, traction control, and diff lock are all a luxury. This truck does the job with no nonsense, and with a few mods it can be realistic to say that in most situations this… Read Full Review

“I've got a Land Rover Defender 110 TDI double cab pick...”

Written on: 11/12/2004 by DJRor (2 reviews written)

I've got a Land Rover Defender 110 TDI double cab pick up 4x4 and I can safely say this is a quality car. I live on a farm, and the Defender has gone everywhere, up slippery hills and back down, waded through deep water and the thickest stickiest mud. This car is truly awesome off-road. Sure, it's not the most comfortable or refined car, but it's a living legend… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Jeep born on September 23, 1940, first in productivity...”

Written on: 13/01/2004 by Jeep06 (1 review written)

Jeep born on September 23, 1940, first in productivity in 1941. Land Rover in 1948, that's a 7 year difference in heritage. The power to weight ratio of a defender to a Jeep Wrangler is indisputably lower. The low gear ratio's don't compare. Diesel engines for off road use weigh down the engine restricting it's power to weight ratio, more overhang, and not as strong suspension. JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON IS THE MOST CAPABLE 4X4 ON THIS EARTH FOR ALL ETERNITY. COMPREHEND THIS… Read Full Review

Tozankyaku's Response to Jeep06's Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

What a load of drivel. Jeeps are about as capable off the lot as a saloon car. The only reason they are even a reasonable substitute for a true off-road vehicle is the enormity of the third-party product market. Before you wax lyrical about the capability of the Jeep, ask yourself this: when was the last time you saw them in a mountain rescue team stable, on the Paris-Dakar rally, tooling the plains of Africa or the dusty Outback? That's what I thought. Jeeps are for the toy boys. Defenders and their ilk are for the true off-roaders: those whose lives depend on it.

Clsteele's Response to Jeep06's Review

Written on: 13/01/2008

The Landrover 110 is in a phrase the world's best. I agree with the comment a few up from this one the land rover defender is for the serious drivers. Let me ask you, when was the last time you saw the army, police, mountain ,rescue, farmers, people who are going on safari or anyone who has serious off roading in mind in a jeep? Enough said I think?

241783_Bres's Response to Jeep06's Review

Written on: 07/05/2006

For the power to weight ratio to be low is not a good thing as far as common sense tells? Having a high power to weight ration would be good, meaning that weight is less and power is more! Power/weight = ratio.

Mkeith2936's Response to Jeep06's Review

Written on: 30/10/2005

This person simply can not have looked at or driven a defender. nothing else would account for his strange comments.
<br>Yes, Jeep made 4x4s before Landrover did and yes LR took heavy inspiration from Jeep.
<br>But the Wrangler copies suspension and other technical features that the Defender has had for more than 20 years and LR is still has better brakes,(4 discs), 4x4,(permanent) and a lighter alu' body.
<br>Jeeps are good and getting better but suffer terribly from being tuned for road use, if you modify them they are very good indeed this is what Jeeps owner Mercedes Benz has been doing, it seems.
<br>As to the Rubicon being best 4x4! Have you seen a Mercedes G. Wagen, Pinzgauer? Let's not even mention the Mercedes Unimog which is a class above all the aforementioned.
<br>Jeep gets respect and its handsome but its, (maybe), in the top 5 at best but not the top 3.

Mhread's Response to Jeep06's Review

Written on: 12/10/2005

I have recently traded my 03 Wrangler for a 110 extreme Landy. To be honest, for serious 4wd, (and I am not talking about driving over a few rocks), really benefits from having a diesel engine. Water fording is greatly improved, thanks to the lack of spark plugs and associated electrics. Low down torque is always superior. My jeep did about 15litres per 100Ks, the defender does a massively more effecient 10.5 - even though it is a 9 seater, as opposed to a 4 seater. Off road capability is greatly improved over the jeep. You rubicon owners have fine fun rock crawling or mud bashing vehilces for sure. I loved mine, however, nobody would in their right mind would depend on the vehicle on serious trecks. I am crossing the simpson desert later this year, and the jeep simply would not be up to the task. I loved my Jeep - but it is a toy compared to the Land Rover.

Archman's Response to Jeep06's Review

Written on: 26/12/2004

I've driven both Jeep and Landrover in many parts of Australia so I think I'm qualified to comment. Not to mention 16 years in the Military driving them at times where no roads exist.
<br>Jeep may have 7 years on Rover, but in this case it means squat. Jeeps are comfy, and a good car for chicks to take to the beach but that's about it. Why do you think more counries around the world use Land Rovers than any other type of 4X4?
<br>As for your comment about diesel vs petrol, Only a diesel has the torque required for low range and I'd like to see you ford a 4 foot deep body of water in a Petrol. If you love your Jeep, that's great mate, but you cant sledge something else.

“I own a Land Rover Defender 110 Tdi and am very happy...”

Written on: 01/12/2003 by huahine explorer (1 review written)

I own a Land Rover Defender 110 Tdi and am very happy with the overall performance, the Land Rover company should however take advice on all the negative points that are often uprised by engineers and users. The chassis for example are getting weaker for tropical island users… Read Full Review

“I'm a proud owner of the Land Rover Defender 110 Tdi...”

Written on: 23/09/2003 by cederrand (1 review written)

I'm a proud owner of the Land Rover Defender 110 Tdi who enjoys tuffing arround the deserts and bush of Namibia with this wonderful vehicle. It is a great vehicle with go anywhere capability although I can immagine that it can be cold and draughty in northern climates but that is only an advantage here. The kids love it and I love it. If it were a bit bigger would probably live in it!… Read Full Review

“The Land Rover Defender is a great off roader -...”

Written on: 23/07/2003 by John. (1 review written)

The Land Rover Defender is a great off roader - straight off the showroom floor this vehicle can go just about anywhere. With a few Mods - raised suspension, bigger tyres, etc it becomes unstoppable.
My only gripe is its occasional unreliability. The engine is a strong as you like its just the running gear that is its weak point… Read Full Review

“Im a automotive engineer here in australia, my company...”

Written on: 15/07/2003 by scotchmer automotive. (1 review written)

Im a automotive engineer here in australia, my company repairs these Land Rover Defender, there a very rough tough rigg. Oil leaks are the only complaints in the earlier tdi 4 cyls, and timing belts were sheard off because of a timing belt alighnment problem, some were fixed under warranty but the majority have to have a timing pully kit put on them at the owners expense.which i think sucks! It was a manufacturing fault from landrover so if u can push them they sometimes come to the party.