Direct Line Travel Insurance Reviews

Direct Line Travel Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Direct Line Travel Insurance

“Stress free claim”

Written on: 29/07/2011 by SMB-UK (2 reviews written)

Sadly our trip had to be cancelled due to medical reasons. DL Staff were not only sympathetic, but offered advice every step of our claim; from advice before claiming, to answering questions during it. The claim was part settled within 7 days - the airline needed to close our ticket before the rest is paid - but they contacted me immediately to inform me of the additional paperwork they needed. The amount of £35 excess is very reasonable compared with other companies, and my Mother, who had a… Read Full Review

“Holiday fight cancellation”

Written on: 08/07/2011 by altory (1 review written)

Direct line are a good travel insurance until you make a claim they use every twist and turn to avoid paying out. I had booked a flight only trip in December 2010 which we had to cancel due to my wife needing a operation and was informed by the hospital on 30th May 2011 she could not fly(6 days before we were due to leave). I contacted Direct line travel insurance claims dept to see if I could claim they said yes and sent the appropriate forms, I paid a additional £25 to get cancellation… Read Full Review

Wullbee's Response to altory's Review

Written on: 15/06/2013

Yes direct line are good at taking money and not giving any sympathy when making a claim
We are a family of 4 we were going to Greece for 2well earned weeks after a hard year with my father I'll on the day before we were meant to leave my father got taken into hospital and through complications passed away we were in shock and the obvious happened we had to stay and make arrangements
Good old DIRECT LiNE no sympathy ! No claim ! No cover they said because he had cancer we weren't covered he wasn't even going with us
£1800 lost into thin air Thanks again Direct Line I will never be robbed by you again feel so gutted and cheeted

“Avoid Direct Line Travel Insurance!! ”

Written on: 23/02/2011

Avoid Direct Line Travel Insurance!!
Have just had the worse experience with a snotty nosed 'Sales Consultant'(literally he could not stop sniffing whilst on the phone)
Asked for single trip quote as annual policy cost at £167 was too high - what do you know the single trip quote was £14 more !

When I pointed this out, he went 'oh, is it? Lemme check .that's a good one '

When asked to explain he admitted

'That's how the (computer) system works'
'I can't explain I can only give you an… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 22/06/2011

What the hell's this got to do with travel insurance, he's taling about the sales rep not the product

“We travelled to Mexico in 2006 with our 2 son's aged 6...”

Written on: 12/01/2011

We travelled to Mexico in 2006 with our 2 son's aged 6 and 2 and my 6yr old had a near drowning, and ended up in a private clinic on life support, Direct Line were fantastic and honoured all costs straight away. My son got brilliant treatment, including all ambulance travel to and from his physio and all hospital care including allowing me to stay with him. When we came home they then allowed an extra £25,000 to cover legal costs to sue the hotel for damages. They didn't charge us any excess… Read Full Review

“I was travelling the next day so needed the policy...”

Written on: 03/11/2010

I was travelling the next day so needed the policy emailed over asap. Firstly, I didn't receive an email, had to call them and find out that they got my email address wrong even though I confirmed it about 3 times with them!

Eventually received policy via email but had the wrong surname of my friend! Called them up in the evening for it to be corrected and resent and they advised that they don't email over any policies!!! WTF!

Had to complain and speak to the manager and was advised that they… Read Full Review

“While in Italy in July my husband had a heart attack...”

Written on: 17/10/2010 by tjhyde44 (1 review written)

While in Italy in July my husband had a heart attack and was in hospital in Brindisi for a week. Direct Line were excellent from the moment I contacted them. They got in touch with the hospital -for proof of claim, of course, but also to monitor the situation with regard to date of release and my husband's condition. They arranged and paid for taxis (one trip alone cost 500euros),hotels and flights home.They later reimbursed us for the cost of meals,local travel and phone calls related to the… Read Full Review

“We use Direct Line as we assumed that they were a...”

Written on: 24/09/2010

We use Direct Line as we assumed that they were a large reliable and honest company. Imagine our surprise when we had to claim against them for holiday curtailment. Be warned! You are not covered for the cost of the holiday flights only for the extra cost you will have to pay in the event of having to return home early. We spent £3000 and were offered only £300 after spending 2 days in Canada (from the UK) and having to return due to my mother-in-law having a life saving (leg… Read Full Review

“Had been with Direct Line for number of years for...”

Written on: 09/11/2009

Had been with Direct Line for number of years for Annual Travel insurance. I tried to claim for my share of a family vacation which I had to cancel due to illness. The situation was straightforward - i had a note from my doctor that i couldn't travel - but they refused to honor the claim. The problem was that since my family went on holiday without me, there was no proof that i didn't go, i.e. nothing like a letter of cancellation with a booking agency. I was very dissatisfied with the… Read Full Review

“Do not bother ordering Direct Line travel insurance...”

Written on: 22/06/2009

Do not bother ordering Direct Line travel insurance via the website.
The site is very old fashioned, difficult to follow and compare insurance details across policies and against other companies.

I took the time to fill in all the garb to get a quote, then at checkout I clicked complete and the website coughed up an error. Phone lines were closed post 9pm and I flew out the following morning.,

Went straight to insure and go. 5 min I was checked out and the policy no. emailed to me and sent… Read Full Review

“My ipod got nicked, so I got a police report and had...”

Written on: 26/05/2009

My ipod got nicked, so I got a police report and had it translated. WHen home, I called them, they asked me to send it to them. I did so, and Direct Line paid up the full price I paid a couple of years ago. 10/10… Read Full Review

“Had been with Direct Line for number of years for...”

Written on: 11/05/2009 by Trinco (2 reviews written)

Had been with Direct Line for number of years for Annual Travel insuarance with Winter Sports included. Had to claim recently due to a ski injury, and I was very pleased with their speed and helpfulness in setteling my cliam to the penny in a fast manner.
As everone knows ski slope rescues and injuries are expensive and Direct Line covered all of it withought a fuss.
You only know about an insuarance company when you need to claim and I am glad I paid the extra few pounds to go with them… Read Full Review

“My travel Insuarance including winter sports cover has...”

Written on: 11/05/2009 by Trinco (2 reviews written)

My travel Insuarance including winter sports cover has been with Direct Line the past 3 years. Having had to make a claim recently relating to a ski accident while in France, I was very pleased with all aspects of their cover & service. My claim included
-off piste rescue/medical expence/ crutches, all equipment I had to buy (due to an injured knee)/- taxi back to hotel and slope.
(quite an amount when added up)
All amounts were paid in a timely manner by Direct line, and I was called by them… Read Full Review

“This is something that happened to me about 4 years...”

Written on: 02/01/2009 by jivah (1 review written)

This is something that happened to me about 4 years ago, and things might have changed since then but it was still an interesting experience.
We were travelling in Brazil and had just arrived the house of some friends and went inside to greet everyone. While inside our hire car was stolen from outside the house with everything in it, clothes, cameras the lot. Fortunately I had taken our passports and my laptop out of the car but everything else was in there. On my return I tried to make a claim… Read Full Review

“We have had Direct Line travel insurance for several...”

Written on: 08/03/2007 by lewist (37 reviews written)

We have had Direct Line travel insurance for several years. The reasonable annual premium covered what we needed, including our couple of weeks skiing each year. When my wife became seriously ill, before we went to Boston, they were very efficient and paid out quickly and without fuss. The Call Centre staff were efficient and explained very clearly what we had to do. That's what you need… Read Full Review