Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe Reviews

Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe
Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe

“Not on are list sorry”

Written on: 16/03/2012

Having just got my new astra 2.0 sri vx, I find the blue tooth was not fitted and boy what a problem to have work carried out once it's left the factory???? It my sound small but not paying £800 plus for a factory sat/nav; I was hoping to use my I phone or lap top, is turning out to be a problem. which my local dealer is passing on to the factory?? It looks like the factory forgot to fit it!! So I have to send the car back to vauxhall, for a small switch to be fitted???? Not happy at all… Read Full Review

Ray2423's Comment

Written on: 23/03/2012

Up date on this problem, after inspecting my new astra, I have been told the wire harness was not fitted in the car, by a vauxhall rep, so this means nothing would work should I try to have a sat/nav fitted??? who say the only way to over come this problem, is to return my car, and have a new one issued by the factory...I'm now awaiting news of when this will!!! It would seem 50 plus astra cars had this faulty wiring, due to a production error???
Now that made me feel good ??
now take place.

“I'm sorry people, but to say that this car outclasses...”

Written on: 19/08/2010

I'm sorry people, but to say that this car outclasses a Type-R (especially the DC2 Integra), is just nuts! The DC2 will eat this thing for breakfast around ANY track! There is a reason it is frequently quoted as being the best FWD car of ALL time! Yes it has slightly less power, but it also weighs a fair bit less than the Astra CT 16v. The other thing is, it has nowhere near the same level of reliability! Yes, the DC2 is a hooligan above 5-6000rpm, but below that, it is more than happy to do… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 19/09/2011

absolute rubbish to the above comment about Type R's civics and accord i have a astra turbo and i run rings around a type r on the track and the road, and with a simple re-map to the Astra CT would blow many cars out the water, including the crusty type R

“Best "value for money" to "fun" ratio you can have....”

Written on: 28/01/2010

Best "value for money" to "fun" ratio you can have. These vauxhalls have the performance to go head to head with any other hot hatch without the ridiculous insurance premiums and the servicing is as cheap as you'd expect from a vauxhall. Comes with all the bells and whistles as well and the styling is sleek and refined so for a man of my age (35 next birthday!) you don't feel like a complete hooligan child driving it like you might in a type R or a clio 172… Read Full Review

“i got this car at first yea good runner then down the...”

Written on: 15/12/2009

i got this car at first yea good runner then down the line not gd these cars love to eat gaskets tires the inside of the car is very good and a big boot 6.7 0 to 60 and top end 153 the engine is hard to keep up with needs to be looked after well if u dont it will end up blowing up and are known for water problems leaking any where it can the rad is not well mad really need to get a after market if you can they tend to split on the arms from hard driving and shity uk roads and oil coolent will… Read Full Review

“Recently purchased the 2.0 Turbo 16V - Only possible...”

Written on: 13/10/2009

Recently purchased the 2.0 Turbo 16V - Only possible criticism is that modifications such as bonnets, rear lights are hard to come by if you want good ones. Have resorted to some custom work myself.. Astra Coupe assistance needed?.. get in touch.. Mac… Read Full Review

“It looks good and its comfy, that ' s it, reliability...”

Written on: 17/11/2008 by MICHELLEM24 (1 review written)

It looks good and its comfy, that ' s it, reliability is terrible. It has broken down on us at least 5 times, has been off the road for approx 6 months of the 12 we have had it, it ' s had a new gear box, Lambda sensor, and god knows what else. It has cost us an arm and a leg.
This car has been a nightmare since day one. I have just got to work an hour late due to this breaking down on me in the middle of a junction, just stopped working on me for no reason, and would not restart, did 150 miles… Read Full Review

“If I was a lad looking for a nice car that does the...”

Written on: 11/10/2008

If I was a lad looking for a nice car that does the job type r and 182 just carnt do what the gsi does so get 1 for a good price thats all I have to say for the money and what you get its just out of this world… Read Full Review

“Well, all the above reviews are right on in my...”

Written on: 23/09/2006 by rugbylad1980 (1 review written)

Well, all the above reviews are right on in my opinion, for a Vauxhall is probably the best you can by on the market, when you weigh up price and insurance. 0-60 however is slightly out of the above, must have been timing their grandma's driving it cause the onboard trip comp in my Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe reads 5.9 sec! Top end is good for 150+ and through the gears it's awesome.

This car wipes the floor with any of your hot hatch's and has been a proven scubby eater. The traction control… Read Full Review

“Black with full Irmscher kit, Xenon headlights, cruise...”

Written on: 28/03/2006 by saabslug (1 review written)

Black with full Irmscher kit, Xenon headlights, cruise control, climate, electric sunroof, etc, etc...
Performance of the Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe is stunning to say the least, acceleration in second and third gear is breathtaking, no turbo lag, best accelerating though from above 3000rpm. Because of the size of the doors, getting in and out in a car park can be difficult, The seats while very comfortable and supportive, can get damaged. The edges of the seat are particularly vulnerable to… Read Full Review

“I bought my 2001 Astra Coupe Turbo back in January...”

Written on: 11/02/2006 by jonny d (1 review written)

I bought my 2001 Astra Coupe Turbo back in January 2004 from Network Q with 40,000 on the clock. I turned down the Civic Type R because of high insurance and much less toys.

The best thing about this car is, it's stunning to look at, and even standard, the performance is outstanding. 0 - 60 takes just 6.8 seconds, and will keep on going until 153mph. The car easily sees off more prestigious cars, such as the BMW 330.

The amount of features is great too, such as electric everything, a/c and… Read Full Review

“I just bought Astra Turbo Coupe in dark blue but at...”

Written on: 08/01/2006 by jones2006 (1 review written)

I just bought Astra Turbo Coupe in dark blue but at night it looks purple lol. It's a 2001 model with 38,500 miles on it with black leather heated seats 1 owner for 6k I got a real bargain. It's a quick car but you seem to be going quick when you put your foot down until you look at the speedo because engine remains quiet. I just sold my Clio Sport 172 and that seemed quicker off the line but it's not. I timed it with the stop watch and it's 6.8 0-60 and my Clio was 7.1 not much in it but for a… Read Full Review

“I have only just recently bought this car and I think...”

Written on: 08/12/2005 by CJLeadbeater (1 review written)

I have only just recently bought this car and I think it's prob the best buy I have made with a Vaxuhall. After owning a 1.6 16V I changed to a 1.8 16V and I thought that was fast until I was blown away by this coupe, I was amazed that it still picked up in 5th gear, and the car really does attract attention, as for traction control it's a saftey devce but Vauxhall can fit a switch to allow you to have some fun. Overall this car is amazing I picked mine up at £7,000 with a nice 28k on clock… Read Full Review

“I've had my 2 1/2 year old Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe...”

Written on: 04/06/2005 by malchard (3 reviews written)

I've had my 2 1/2 year old Vauxhall Astra Turbo Coupe from new and have in the main been pleased as it is a vehicle that is very easy to live with.
Although its mileage is now still less than 20,000, it has proven to be a reliable car other than when the water pump failed at 15000 but this was of course replaced under warranty.
Having recently returned from a drive to Scotland, it must be said that the firm seats did not make the journey a pleasure, so my next replacement vehicle will need to… Read Full Review

“I bought a 12 month old Astra Coupe Turbo from my...”

Written on: 23/10/2003 by matrhos (1 review written)

I bought a 12 month old Astra Coupe Turbo from my local Vauxhall dealer. It was already fitted with the full leather pack with heated seats and the full Irmscher styling kit (front spoiler, rear skirt etc.) I got it in Nocturno Blue. Its a very dark pearlescent blue. Probably the best colour it comes in! I added the Irmscher grille, door pins and chrome heater rings. A wise investment! It really lifts the car. I also debadged it apart from the Vauxhall logo on the boot. All in all, its now a… Read Full Review

Chinnke's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 05/01/2004

I've got an Astra Turbo and you're looking through rose tinted lenses. OK, so you can MOD it , so what? You can do that in any car to make it go faster.
<br>
<br>Yes, it's rapid, even in standard form. The 2.0 turbo is a great engine, designed more for rapid crusing than thrashing due to it's impressive yet flat torque curve.
<br>
<br>The problem is that its not a drivers car. The steering's dull and unresponsive, the traction control kills any enjoyment and the brakes are way overservoed. Couple this with an over hard ride and you lose traction on all but the driest, smoothest road surfaces.
<br>
<br>Whichever way you look at it, it's still an Astra, and looks like an Astra. And you're right, the paintwork is woeful...so is the standard ICE. Good boot space though.
<br>
<br>Buy one for smooth road driving and it's a fast car capable of covering ground fast. If you want anything else go and look for something different.

Karlastra's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 01/04/2011

Why come on here and purposely slate someones review? Ive got an astra because its cheap, gets me too work and back, goes well enough when i want it too and jus t generally does the job!!! If i wanted a perforomance car i would buy one (and no sorry a subaru or a celica isnt a performance car, more of a pretend one) So for now i will carry on with my astra because it ticks all the boxes. And when i decide i want a sports car ill buy an aston martin (:

Astrapants's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 22/09/2010

I can't believe my eyes. An Astra Turbo can keep up with a Scooby STI...
<br/>
<br/>Alright mate!! That extra BHP in the scooby must just be there to power the aircon....
<br/>What a tool!
<br/>
<br/>From the cheap naff interior to the frankly terrible handling and the ridiculous torque steer this car is a shocker.
<br/>
<br/>All it needs is a spinning bow tie and some clowns

Written on: 09/04/2007

How to increase the speed of an Astra? - Sell it and buy a Munaro.

Sniffdogg1's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 07/04/2007

I agree completely that the Astra Coupe is a complete head turner, and it is a rapid car for the price of it.
<br/>
<br/>Thanks for the information on how to break the 200bhp barrier.

Thegreatbard's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 17/01/2006

You appear to be under the delusion that if something is on the internet, that makes it true. Dreaming up comparisons and littering them with exclamation marks does not transform them from a figment of your imagination into the truth either.

225690_Stunned's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 17/01/2006

I find astras generally are a pile of turd.
<br>How you can compare an Astra to the sleek celica is beyond me.
<br>Astras are 2 a penny mate - every rep in the country has them!
<br>Where as the Toyota Celica is sleek and quite a head turner, without having to have a loud exhaust to get noticed.
<br>Most chavs drive astras!

Dublet's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 17/01/2006

I think he has a problem using negatives in the right context.
<br>
<br>What he meant to say:
<br>
<br>I bought a 12 month old Astra Coupe Turbo from my local Vauxhall dealer. It was already fitted with the full leather pack with heated seats and the full Irmscher styling kit (front spoiler, rear skirt etc.) I got it in Nocturno Blue. Its a very dark pearlescent blue. Probably the worst colour it comes in! I added the Irmscher grille, door pins and chrome heater rings. A useless investment! It really chavs the car. I also debadged it apart from the Vauxhall logo on the boot. All in all, its now a rubbish car that attracts a lot of looks because of its shoddyness! I can't help but cry when I see a Toyota Celica or Hyundai Coupe! Magazine reviewers are right when they would have us believe that the Astra looks bland compared to these cars!!! Nobody even looks at the Astra when a Toyota or Hyundai pass - let alone follow it down the road with their eyes! It really does look more expensive than it is, which isn't terribly difficult! (I happily bent over at the Vauxhall dealer, getting ripped off on a new one by paying £15k plus all the mods from Halfords). Another modification I have recently made to my car was an engine performance upgrade. I paid Regal Autosport £1200 to fit a new air filter, intercooler, spark plugs, dump valve and software. This has increased the BHP from 19 to almost 25. Its 0-6 time has gone from 7 seconds down to 6 and most impressivley is its 3 - 7mph time which is down from 6.5 seconds to 5! It is now approaching Morris Minor sort of performance levels! Even cruising at 70mph in fifth, slam your right foot down and it doesn't even lurch forwards with the same force as most cars do in 3rd! I am toying with the idea of increasing performance further by upgrading the turbo. An Astra capable of 0 - 6 in 5 seconds is very tempting!

Non Biased's Response to matrhos's Review

Quite funny comments.
<br>How you think an Astra coupe is a head turner is beyond me. Unless of course it's got a loud exhaust, which attracts attention you mistakenly take for people finding your car appealing.

Brooksy's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 30/09/2005

Now then... I bought my silver astra turbo 14 months ago its done 40k and yes the seats do get on your nerves,
<br>
<br>However a decent sound system helps.
<br>
<br>When I bought it I fitted a dump valve, but you must fit the right one and its a bit awkward to do because you have to shut the internal valve off.
<br>
<br>I've now had to fit a power pipe because the rubber one clapses.
<br>I also fitted an induction kit which all together gives it better accelaration.
<br>
<br>I think the handling needs to be improved as the backend likes to skip out in the corners. I recon a set of coilovers would do the trick...
<br>
<br>But overall it is a great car that just needs a few tweeks here and there...

Nicholasdownes's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 11/01/2005

Dear All,
<br>
<br>The Nocturno blue is the worst colour to end up with - it chips and marks easier than if the car were painted in tip ex. Avoid it at all costs even if the only choice left is prime every other car on the road silver!
<br>
<br>I agree with the negative comments regarding the Astras handling. It is a little boring, though confident. Note that if you find a good mod shop traction control systems can be fitted with an on / off switch which really allows the car to come to life, and I mean really.
<br>
<br>To be fair I think the astra Coupe is a dated beast. The new model astra coupe makes the old one look bland. 54 plate 1.8-2.0-2.2 cars start at 10,000 and run upto 12,000. Thats brand new, and depreciation is a killer.
<br>
<br>Wait for the new model, if you really want an astra. Remember Vauxhall follow not innovate, if you really want a car go for a Japanese coupe of some sort. What you'll get from vauxhall is their best appreciation of what the rest of the market is doing.

Written on: 29/12/2004

Recently bought some Wolfrace Matrix Alloys 18" - fit well, but got the 40 profile tyre (rather than 35 profile to maintain the overall diameter)whilst stationary car looks great - no lowering to fill the arches required - HOWEVER! - hit a large pot hole and the extra diameter rubs the front of the rear wheel arches, bending the metal towards the tyre. Have not come up with a solution yet but if anyone knows of one please let me know. I have now took to driving "conservatively" around pot holes and large dips in the road to avoid the problem - not great fun in a turbo! Recommend the larger diameter wheels, but opt for the 35 profile tyre!

172317_F2Boy's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 29/09/2004

I have recently purchased a y plate turbo coupe in silver and have to say what a car! Previously owned an audi s3 turbo and wouldn't go back to it! I've been racing cars for years on the ovals of great britain and kinda know what i'm on about and can honestly say i'm grinning from ear to ear when i'm keeping up with my mates scooby {297bhp!} and my turbo is standard! probably the best vauxhall i've driven! Very well recommended ladies and gents!

168712_Oasispj's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 05/09/2004

I have owned one for 4 days now and now for my first impressions........
<br>
<br>It is a very sexy looking car for the money. Mine is 2002 with Leather (squeaky seats) and 20,000 miles on the clock. My car does not have 1 stone chip and is very, very clean. I love the car for these things....
<br>
<br>Performance.... it is fast!!! And yes, you can mod the hell out of it and beat many other cars (I ride bikes, and it is fast) And when fast, it is very quiet (unlike the GTE and the GSI 16v)
<br>
<br>Handling.... this is the bad bit... I wished I had raced the hell out of it before I bought it. It doesn't feel like your driving it. The handling is very bad. When you drive a good car or bike, you want the wheels to be a part of your body. This doesn't happen in the Turbo Astra. The GSI and GTE were great at handling.... so what has happened here? God knows!

Pmb8472's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 22/08/2004

I am on my second astra coupe turbo. Firstly a europa blue 2001Y black leather..which squeaked..try regular treatment with a quality leather food. My first car did 39k only problem was a noisy bearing in the gearbox covered by warranty and not common. I now have a 2003-03 model in breeze blue with every extra available inc. colour nav.xenons and climate control all that kit far exceeds your far more expensive german coupe or your poor japanese/malaysian coupes. and best still even in standard form it gives 'em a good seeing off!!

Written on: 29/07/2004

I have owned a europa blue Turbo Coupe for over 12 months now - nearly 20k miles later it is still like new, yes the motorway has added its share of stone chips but no more than any other car i have seen, however apart from the water pump disintegrating, i have had no other problems. I am considering a dump valve and induction kit - any suggestions out there?

Matrhos's Response to matrhos's Review

Written on: 07/01/2004

The review of the Astra Coupe Turbo by Chinnke highlights the fact that everyone looks for differnt things in a car. If you're out looking for a Coupe in the £15k range, then give it a go and see. You may find that you agree with Chinnke and will go for a car more geared up for hard driving; like a Focus RS, perhaps? On the other hand, you may find the Astra just what you're looking for, like I did. Its a stunning little car with a strong engine (which is much more easily moddable than a lot of engines) and a lot of fun to drive day to day. The only part of Chinnke's review which I feel I must argue with is the fact that it looks like an Astra. With the factory fitted kits attached, (not Boy Racerish aftermarket specials), it genuinley turns heads. Maybe choosing the right colour and wheels helps too, but I have been approached on numerous occasions on the street and in petrol stations by impressed strangers asking questions about the car.
<br>
<br>Since my first review at the top of the page, I have a couple of more things to add. Firstly, another down side of the car is that the seats sometimes squeak. Apparently, this is common in the Astra's leather seats as the springs rub through the fabric underneath and hit the metal frame. Annoying!!
<br>
<br>On a positive note, i have recently completed some long distance jorneys with a full car load (4) and can report that it made some very comfortable and enjoyable trips. The performance was not affected too much by all the weight and the suspension maintained a smooth ride all the time. There was plenty of space for occupants and luggage, too!
<br>
<br>If you own an Astra Coupe Turbo, please add your comments too. I like to hear everyones oppinions!