Generac 5500XL Reviews

Generac 5500XL - Ask a question now

“Built like a tank”

Written on: 04/11/2012

It really has the power that I need to run my heater, well, tv, Two fridges, Lights & Micro. I did have some problems with the brushes in the first year but when fixed has given me the power I need. Good on fuel too. Wish it had solid tires instead of the air tires but it is still a great Gen… Read Full Review

“good unit, can't run everything in the new house.”

Written on: 12/04/2012

I got this unit in 1998. I got it for y2K. It was not needed but I wired it into my first house and it could power all of the essentials of that small ranch house. It will not power everything in the current house, but it is only a small generator. It easily picks up lights, the fridge and forced hot air furnace. Everything that you would need for a winter power outage. For the second house, the power requirements are a bit different. Unfortunately I have, and sometimes need, a .5 HP… Read Full Review

“Dependable power when it's needed most. Easy to start...”

Written on: 19/06/2011 by LFOD (1 review written)

Purchased my Generac 5500XL with a Generac transfer switch back in 1999 after having suffered a flooded basement when the electric went out for four days in the winter. Can't run a sump pump without the power. Now, the sump pumps, refrigerators, freezer, furnace and a couple of lighting circuits (including the TV outlet) are powered by the unit. Keep it in a Suncast Horizontal Garden Shed (4-1/2 ft. x 3 ft.) which has two swing out doors and a top that tilts up, so it gets plenty of air… Read Full Review

Wales915's Response to LFOD's Review

Written on: 31/10/2011

Do you know if it's safe to use in a newer quadra fire pellet stove, with all their 'sensative' electronics? Thanks ,
Scott in CT

“ This generator is awesome! I have owned this...”

Written on: 20/02/2010

This generator is awesome! I have owned this generator for 12 years. This thing starts by the 3rd pull in any weather (1 or maybe 2 pulls in spring/summer). I keep stable in the tank and when I'm done using it, turn the gas off and let the carb run dry. I have only had one problem with this and that was because the power to the house was restored and the wife turned the power on from the utility, with the generator still hooked into the system and running. OOPS!
A set of brushes later, it has… Read Full Review

“I have had this model for 10 years and have done...”

Written on: 12/01/2010

I have had this model for 10 years and have done nothing but change spark plug every couple of years and change the oil and filter once or twice a year. The recoil rope did break this year, but I cant complain on a ten year old generator now. It is a bit noisy, but they all are,, I like the idle feature on it. Most newer generators dont have that option… Read Full Review

“The Generac 5500XL is a great Generator it works...”

Written on: 21/12/2008 by ronalddonaldduck (1 review written)

The Generac 5500XL is a great Generator it works flawlessly. and it runs about 16 hours on a tank of gas. I would buy another if I needed it. and the best thing about it. It was built in the USA. the engine is one of the best Briggs and Stratton has ever built I would buy another if I need it. Thanks Generac… Read Full Review

“Generac 5500XL - My neighbor got this unit and broke...”

Written on: 04/10/2004 by Osco (1 review written)

Generac 5500XL - My neighbor got this unit and broke it in as directed. He ran his fridge, TV, fan and 2 lights.
His next door neighbor ran the same appliances, also we ran extention cords across the street to my house and I ran TWO refrigerators TWO fans 3 lights and a Big TV with satelite.
The generator ran at mid power most of the time, and when several things started at once it did just fine.
Fuel consumption after break-in with this load was better than advertised. We got 10 hrs on 4… Read Full Review

Grahamisted's Response to 172891_Osco's Review

Written on: 10/01/2012

Of course you were able to supply all that, but give it time. You were just one of the lucky ones.