Colt 1911 Commander series 70 Reviews

Colt 1911 Commander series 70 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Colt 1911 Commander series 70

Colt 1911 Commander series 70
Colt 1911 Commander series 70

“I live in Yemen and thats where it is. I hit tins 30...”

Written on: 24/04/2008

I live in Yemen and thats where it is. I hit tins 30 metres out quite accurate close range of coyrse I won't shoot over 30 metres it will lose accuracy then. the grips are cheap but you can buy new ones for them really cheap like pachmayr. the trigger pull is heavy is a lot. this is why it loses accuracy. if I could find another I would love to buy it and I think you should do to. better than some colts I reckon when you have done a trigger group… Read Full Review

“I was going to get a Springfield XD .45 as my brother...”

Written on: 13/06/2007 by EvanB (1 review written)

I was going to get a Springfield XD .45 as my brother in law recently got one. I went to my favorite gun shop / range and looked at them and was talking with the owner. He allowed me to shoot one that he had for example and it was nice but I got to thinking about the 1911 and was still unsure. My brother in law has had a Colt Combat Commander for 25 or more years so I asked the question; "If you could only keep one, Commander or XD .45, which would it be"? No question he said, the Commander… Read Full Review

“At the time I had a Colt .45 commander and a Para-ord....”

Written on: 27/12/2006 by rugerman (25 reviews written)

At the time I had a Colt .45 commander and a Para-ord. .45. So, I got to compare the two of them. Both scored a 10 on dependability. And on general combat accuracy. On ease of handling I gave the Colt a 10 and the Para an 8. Why? Because the Para had a larger grip than the colt to use a hi-cap magazine. I have short fingers therefore the Colt handled better… Read Full Review

“I will make no bones about it, I am a die hard fan of...”

Written on: 09/06/2006 by Vulcanator (13 reviews written)

I will make no bones about it, I am a die hard fan of the M1911 pistol, one of the best if not the best semi-automatic pistols ever made.

After many years of desire I have decided to trade in my Springfield Armory 1911 for a Commander. I was in the market for a no nonsense 1911 for carry purposes, there are so many sold by different manufacturers with too much bull on them I find ironically the Commander with the least bells and whistles on it is actually made by Colt!

A trip to the local… Read Full Review

“If you are a collector the Colt 1911 Commander Series...”

Written on: 17/11/2005 by Kevin Johnston (2 reviews written)

If you are a collector the Colt 1911 Commander Series 70 is a must for your collection. It is a well made, good looking pistol. There is no doubt that there are a lot of new model 40's and 45's that have the advanced features you need for conceal and carry, or competition shoots, some cheaper, some more expensive, and I own a few, but I still can't put away, or ever get rid of my Colt Combat Commander… Read Full Review

“I have owned at least seven 1911s of various sorts....”

Written on: 10/08/2005 by DunRanull (1 review written)

I have owned at least seven 1911s of various sorts. These include a WW2 Remington, a Mexican model that was completely chromed, two .45 Combat commanders and one in 9mm, an Officer's ACP, and a Systema Colt made for Argentina. All of these functioned well as is except for the Officers, which is cranky, kicks and bites, and is prone to front sight loss and barrel bushing breakage. Its just too small for the round. I like the .45s, even tho I have owned and used many other handguns including the… Read Full Review

“I got acquainted with the 1911 U S Army .45 in basic...”

Written on: 31/03/2005 by EBROOKS (17 reviews written)

I got acquainted with the 1911 U S Army .45 in basic infantry training in 1962 at Fort Ord (Monterey County, California).

I saw it demonstrated with tracer ammo (to show the trajectory). The trajectory is like throwing a rock. In the same demo a "grease gun" was demonstrated, which was the same. No surprise, they both use the same cartridge.

We were required to field strip the weapon as part of the familiarization. The barrel comes out and is short (about four inches). But what I noted was it… Read Full Review

244632_Tekdoggy's Response to EBROOKS's Review

Written on: 28/05/2006

The guy that is from Ft. Ord does not know much about the best designed combat pistol ever made. The 1911 has to be held to depress the grip safety one, two thumb safety needs to be moved to release the hammer and there is an interlocking sear disconnect on the new models. Besides no gun is safe when a person is not safe in handling the firearm. Every gun I handle is always loaded whether it is or not. Treat all firearms as if they were loaded...

1911's Response to EBROOKS's Review

Written on: 03/08/2006

military issued handguns had to have loose tolerances due to soldiers having to carry them through all sorts of nasty stuff. a weapon that is very tight is great for target shooting, but if you have to crawl through mud or sand while carrying them they get clogged up and will not cycle. as for being able to tell if a 1911 is cocked or not, that should be obvious - the hammer will be back. always treat every weapon as if it was loaded. you should remember to clear the weapon before performing any maintenance. i have had quite a few series 70's and would reccommend them to anyone who is looking for a great shooting .45.

“The Colt Commander was bought in 1989 before 1911s...”

Written on: 01/10/2004 by Sifu456 (61 reviews written)

The Colt Commander was bought in 1989 before 1911s came with any modern features; it was just a raw gun that could be used for self defence.

After suffering through firing this weapon, I decide to make it as accurate and as comfortable to shoot as my Beretta 92SF. I added the beaver tail, guide rod, millets from and back sights, polished and throated the barrel and put wolf springs inside. Now this gun is probably the most accurate handgun I own and its fun to shoot. But it wasn't that way out… Read Full Review

Ebrooks's Response to Sifu456's Review

Written on: 27/04/2005

The author said:
<br>
<br>"I added the beaver tail, guide rod, millets from and back sights, polished and throated the barrel and put wolf springs inside. Now this gun is probably the most accurate handgun I own and its fun to shoot."
<br>
<br>I wrote a review telling about my experience with the 1911 Colt semi auto and found it inaccurate, sloppy in the parts as assembled, etc.
<br>
<br>I would be interested to know what the various upgrades did and how they dealt with the deficiencies in the weapon.
<br>
<br>The review as it stands doesn't tell the reader how these various tweaks are done, the previous condition and how it was improved, why, how they improve performance, so that we can evaluate the author's conclusion that now the (previously deficient) weapon is "the most accurate handgun I own".
<br>E Brooks

Written on: 22/12/2005

What I find a lot is that some people expect too much from the 1911. They want pin point accruacy, they want all these amenities, and for it to safe without training from a $400-$700 gun. They don't research their needs they just want to be apart of a movement to say I have a 1911 45acp, as if its a Harley.
<br>
<br>Personally I don't recommend the 1911 or Glocks to anybody that s not willing to train and learn how to use it safety. I consider these expert or specail OPs guns or serious even self trained indivisdual. What I mean is somebody thats going spend some time to familarize themselves with these tools. For 1st time buyers wanting home protection, I still recommend the 9mm-38/357 revolver.
<br>
<br>Even though as you mentioned with you Hi Power & other semi autos have improved to almost revolver and some cases superior to revolver reliabilty. But they still take more know how to operate even the DAO, you still have to load the magazine, rack the slide and don't pull the trigger unknowingly.
<br>
<br>The 1911 is a fine weapon and the 70s series are highly sought after by shooters and collectors. I would rank my 1911CC right up there with my Kimber now as far as reliabilty and carry worthy. The Kimber is factory the Colt is modified and still don't have semi-extended mag release that the Kimber has.
<br>
<br>Both have their strong points.
<br>
<br>Some say that the Hi Power was Browning's finest pistol work, I've always been impressed by its look and feel.

Vulcanator's Response to Sifu456's Review

Written on: 22/12/2005

Sifu456,
<br>
<br>Your comments in regards to the reliability of your Colt Commander are well taken, in 1989 I purchased a Springfield Armory M1911A1 and founds its reliabiity to be disconcerting, certainly unsuitable for carry.
<br>
<br>I sent it back to Springfield Armory last year with my concerns, especially in regards to quality control. They polished the feed ramp, breech face and replaced and adjusted the extractor-for no charge!
<br>
<br>With Chip McCormick magazines the gun is much better although I want to do some more long term testing before it goes on my hip. The quality control of the M1911's produced now by Kimber, Wilson, etc are fantastic-much better than the guns made in the 70's and 80's.
<br>
<br>In contrast, I carry my "out of the box" Browning Hi-power. This gun has been a 100% reliable, in fact the only time it jammed was due to the fact that I had not cleaned it after firing more than a 1000 rounds through it!
<br>
<br>Of course the gun is kept clean for carry purposes. Overall I am glad to hear that you are happy with the Commander now you have modified it, I desire a Commander for myself-but the bank balance will have to improve for that!

Written on: 20/12/2005

I must re-state that it was accurate out of the box but after brusing you of course the accuracy faded. Now 1-6 shots that maybe required in a self defense situation it would do.
<br>But practicing to enhance your skills, require shooting often and you took a beating, compared to the modren 1911s and full powered DAs. Now this is not the case.
<br>Its pending what kind of accuracy you looking for it not going to be dime size groups at 25 yards maybe at 7 yards, maybe pending how well you shoot.

Written on: 20/12/2005

eBROOKS - I know i was pretty lucky I know people that have put $1ks of dollars into a 1911 and still not where they want it to be.
<br>I had a friend that stainless Springfiled shorty he had $1100 in it and its still didn't group well, at about $1500 he figured it out. I use razz him and say that "maybe he should just frame it, I mean it was a pretty gun";-).
<br>
<br>My gun was shooting pretty accurate out of the box, it just was a bruiser to fire, one of my assoicates interested in purchasing a gun for self protection tested fired my Berreta 92sf, Commmander(before upgrades) and the ranges Glock 17. And perferred the 92sf better because of its reliablity and accuracy he brought a 92sf. The Glock was rented and we had to shoot the ranges reload bad news for the Glock it jammed every mag. The Glock is a good gun this wasn't a fair test.
<br>
<br>Anyway I got these upgrades done to my CC1911 brought 1985 as mentioned its was already combat accurate and probably the best close combat weapon I own now, but not my favorite (which is the Ber96 Elite). I am extremly impressed by its pointability and C accuarcy. The CC1911 transverse better then any of my pistols even better then longer Kimber Classic and can be used slightly faster from target to target. I'm into combat simulations two targets advancing and you firing two to the chest 1 to head ballistic drill, this were my CC1911 shines. From 20-3 yards in, benched the Kimber 1911 classic, 357 Corba, S&W 686 and maybe the 96 Elite are probably more accurate. But they don't point as natural as the shorter Colt Commander.
<br>
<br>The Dogbullocks - The bad thing is its still not as reliable as my either of the my 3 Beretas, Glock 19 maybe comparable to the CZ79 45acp with no mods done. In intensive testing of the DAs are more reliable and under Combat conditions I'd Opt for my Da autos.
<br>9mm availabilty in a bug out situation, not a factor with 40S&W unless here is the US, god forbid.
<br>
<br> For personal self defense I'd opt for the CC1911 (or Ber 96Elite or G19 its just hard to beat reliability) for 1 shot when it really count either of these guns will do 15-7 yards in, but its the CC top of field here.
<br>
<br>My complaint was that the CC1911 used to be it was hard to shoot, it has always been accurate U just needed a saddle on it. I reload and usually shoot 150-200 rounds through each gun. The incident above with the testing assoicate he fired 25 rounds and between web of his hand he had a red whelp the size of a silver dollar piece, even with his Dad prompting (U got to be a Man to shoot the 1911 45Acp) he admitted couldn't handle the CC1911. At 100+ rounds my hands were sore too, now I can shoot 200rds in the CC no problem.
<br>
<br>I like my CC1911 and I know I'm lucky with my upgrades and accuracy. Of course I'm not looking for dimes or quarter size groups at 25 yards benched. Hits in the CZ is what I like, and standoff power until I can get my shotgun/rifle thats the purpose of a hand gun for me.

Vulcanator's Response to Sifu456's Review

Written on: 20/12/2005

E brooks, I read your review and comment in regards to the next review on the M1911 and can only say the following:
<br>
<br>The M1911 pistol is a single action weapon, which in the hands of an individual who avails himself to regular familiarization and practice to the highest of standards is arguably one of the finest semi auto pistols designed.
<br>
<br>Loaded chamber indicator? Do a press check and don't be so lazy! Not double action? Use the safety and carry it cocked and locked, if not buy a bloody Beretta, Glock, etc if your comfort factor precludes cocked and locked carry.
<br>
<br>Carrying such a weapon "cocked and locked" because of its single action design is not a fault of the weapon! Your review of the weapon based upon your military service (many moons ago) does a grave injustice to one of the finest American firearms ever made!
<br>
<br>Virtually all of the M1911's used by the U.S. military dated from WW2 as such were probably not in the best of repair, this may relfect your somewhat poor performance with the gun.
<br>
<br>In recent times the M1911 is enjoying a resurgence in the US armed forces, the 9mm Beretta has proven itself somewhat inadequate. The Marine Expeditionary Unit Special Operations Command has just adopted the M1911 built by Kimber, the weapon is also used by the FBI's hostage rescue team.
<br>
<br>So there's plenty of life left in the M1911, you need to get aquainted with an M1911 made by Sprinfield Armory, Kimber, Wilson, etc. Handling and firing these M1911's will completely debunk all the negative comments you have made about this fine weapon.