Intel 536EP Reviews

Intel 536EP - Ask a question now

Intel 536EP

“I love this modem. I paid a total of $9 USD for my...”

Written on: 06/02/2004 by prom3theus (1 review written)

I love this modem. I paid a total of $9 USD for my Intel(R) 536EP Modem, including shipping! My old modem, a v.92 US Robotics modem, was having problems negotiating with my ISP, and no settings would help. It even came with a control center, and various software, none of which seemed to be very useful. This modem came with nothing but drivers and bundled minimal software, like FaxTalk netonhold. But I connected and a web speed test clocked me at over 100kbps transfer!! For $9.. you better… Read Full Review

229619_Homeopath's Response to prom3theus's Review

Written on: 11/02/2006

I bought one too but it will not receive voice mesages and is slow.

Intel 536EP

“Finding my older modem got fried by a lightning storm...”

Written on: 15/10/2003 by CCMagazine (11 reviews written)

Finding my older modem got fried by a lightning storm I went out and bought a new one so I picked the Intel(R) 536EP Modem, but wow, I dont know why. The modem is supposed to be a 56 modem but it says it is running as a 36kbps Modem? I dont know if it is running as a 36kbps but I think it is. My older modem that got fried was a 56kbps, actually said it ran as a 56kbps modem and it ran alot faster. Tell me your comments… Read Full Review

Demarcation86's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 13/01/2004

Totally agree. Wanted a cheap replacement modem whilst in waited for broadband, got stuck with this. Have another computer on the same phone line different modem which is almost 25% quicker. The morale of this story buy junk, expect junk

Juglenaut's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 22/05/2005

56k v90-v92 modems really don't come any better, FTC limits dail-up modems, I tried several different brands ranging form 16 to 100 dollars and they all have the same basic working fuctions, besides having different brand components and IC's all brands are similar in some aspect.
I mean how fast do you all expect a simple little 56k modem to go, even the most expensive a best looking modems have issues. About 90% of the time the issue is with the ISP, or the Phone line.
Come on you should be able to get a great 56k modem cheaper than a LAN/ethernet card, where at Best Buy and most electronic outlet stores everything is overpriced, so you can but junk at inflated prices or pay about what they are worth elsewhere.

Dascobra's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 10/10/2004

For the benefit of Polarus, who replied some while back to my initial statement..
<br>
<br>I have always used US Robotics modems in the past.. and no, none of them were winmodems, and yes, I understand how the Intel modem works, and no, it does not hold the cinnection too well, and yes, the speed was not so bad..
<br>
<br>I replaced it as soon as I could with a USR PCI modem which works perfectly, thanks..

Fourm4's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 16/09/2004

Some modems report inaccurate connection speeds, and any modem can only connect at a speed supported by the quality of the telephone lines. Typically this is below the 56K level, often at 22.8 or less.

Ccmagazine's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 14/06/2004

I know that no 56kbps modem will run at 56kbps, but its a pretty bad modem but i'll take your advice

Polarus's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 13/06/2004

Your problem is a lack of understanding as to how the 536EP works. Likely you had winmoderms (which are junk imho), that eat up processor speed to give your 53k connections. The Intel HaM 536EP, doesn't use the processor as much. Most of those functions are controller processes handled in hardware on the 536EP's itself. If you wanted speed buy a real modem (AKA a true hardware modem). The 536EP puts out a steady connection for me of 48 - 49k. Its not the 50 - 53 I got on my junky winmodem, but then I have my processor freed up to do what I need, and I can use the modem with my dual boot Linux OSs. Something not easily done with a winmodem.
<br>You should carefully research any modem you buy. And for the record, no dialup modem will ever give 56k. It only means it supports the 56k standard (v90/v92).

Dascobra's Response to CCMagazine's Review

Written on: 08/06/2004

After replacing the mobo, I had to get a modem that was PCI (the old ISA Creative modem didn't have a slot available for it. I wanted a Creative or USR PCI modem, but nobody locally had one. I asked the guy in the store if the Intel modem was a really good one. He told me it was, but I knew that he wasn't being truthful. He just wanted the sale. A $20 car ride would have secured something better, but on the day, I was feeling cheap. Cheap was exactly what I got. I wouldn't recommend this modem to my worst enemy..