Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Reviews

• Ease of Set Up

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“I have the GA-7n400 pro2 motherbord for 7 years and is...”

Written on: 31/01/2011

I have the GA-7n400 pro2 motherbord for 7 years and is the best motherboard for my AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton cpu. I even done some overclocking bring my cpu to 3200 MHz with 2GB kingston memory kit and a Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro graphycs all this in a custom ventilated case an powerd up by a RaidMax rx520W powersuply and it was great at every thing: games, movies, iven on some CAD programs. Cpu temp in 100% load was 56 degres C (using a cooper base coler from Spire) the internal case temp was… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“As you said great to set up, good board.”

Written on: 07/03/2008 by Snoopy2418 (1 review written)

As you said great to set up, good board.

All told once its in an you go surfing it's very fast. However, every time I try to burn it crashes an printing is same. Therefore I do not recommend Gigabyte motherboard… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is ok for a start up board”

Written on: 20/04/2007 by vexedscorpion (1 review written)

The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is ok for a start up board… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is an excellent...”

Written on: 11/11/2006 by willyboy (2 reviews written)

The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is an excellent motherboard. It is very reliable. I have 2 and they are both superb!

I have had slight problems with running 3Gb memory.

I read mushymarlil's comment. And don't know how mushymarlil manged to run full memory. Is it 3200, 400 or running at 333?… Read Full Review

Mushymarlil's Response to willyboy's Review

Written on: 17/12/2007

I did have to update my bios to get it to recognise the full 4GB and it was running at ddr400 (pc3200) but since then I have made a few changed. Im not only running 1GB in dual channel (pc3200 timmings at 2-2-5-2) on a 1:1 ration with my cpu which is running at xp3200 2.2Ghz 400Hmz fsb and I've changed my graphics card to a gainward geforce 6800gs/xt "GLH" edition.
<br/>If you are having problems getting your ram to run at 3200 speed (400Mhz) first make sure it is spec'd to run at that speed. and you can also have a look in the advanced settings in the bios. Just enter the bios as usual (hit del) then on the main bios screen press Ctrl+F1 and you should get more advanced options in the bios and there will be more options that now show up in the sub menu's good luck

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“All things considered, You can't go wrong. However,...”

Written on: 11/07/2006 by dhollfelder2 (1 review written)

All things considered, You can't go wrong. However, this is a "techies" board - It took a little tweaking to slow it down to spec… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“I built my computer with 2500+ Barton core, 1GB Dual...”

Written on: 03/05/2006 by ltooz06 (3 reviews written)

I built my computer with 2500+ Barton core, 1GB Dual channel Kingston 2700, ATI AIW9000, NECDVDburner, BENQ lightscribe (new), 5 drives (200GB SATA-Maxtor, 120GB SATA-WDC, 2-120GB MAXTOR-133, 120GB-WDC), generic case with (5) 80mm fans (top,side,front,back).
I make lots of DVD movies for my family and I used many types of software: Pinnacle studio 9, Premier 1.5 pro, DVDlab pro, TMPEG authoring 1.5, Jasc photos. Although there are many problems with these software listed which cause computer to… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is a great motherboard,...”

Written on: 10/03/2006 by Pasannothome (1 review written)

The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is a great motherboard, and supports almost everything you need in a motherboard - Sata Raid Gigabit Lan, 5.1 surround sound. What more can you ask for? Even after 1 year I can say that I have a good spec computer, unlike other motherboards on the market… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“In review I would say the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2...”

Written on: 10/03/2006 by Jedi (1 review written)

In review I would say the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 board is nice for LOW end systems that want to support higher end equipment.
The capacitor problem is not all gigabytes fault, but the fact that so many have faild in the past, that I do not recommend these boards to anyone. Currently I recomendation on motherboards would be ASUS or their lower end AS-Rock. -Jedi… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“I have had this Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Motherboard...”

Written on: 07/02/2006 by mushymarlil (1 review written)

I have had this Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Motherboard for about 2 years now and I'm running an AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ the processor stays at about 45-50deg.c when on 100%load and the same when idle, 25-30deg.c when on standby and the case temperature is round about 20-25deg.c i have an ATI RADEON 9800 ALL IN WONDER PRO and because all the exhaust fans are above the card it tends to get quite hot but i'll change that with a new cooler for my card, I have coolers on my 2 stripped RAID HDD's they run… Read Full Review

Willyboy's Response to mushymarlil's Review

Written on: 11/11/2006

You must have been very lucky getting all 4 slots to work, as it only recommends you use 3Gb max of memory with the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2, but in actual fact, it only allows 1.5Gb, or it lowers from 400 to 333 as it will not boot (got this from Gigabyte). Also, in dual channel, the max that can be used is therefore 2 x 512, as using more memory actually slows it down.
<br>
<br/>Let's know how you managed it Mushi, as I want to do it to mine.

Mushymarlil's Response to mushymarlil's Review

Written on: 29/12/2007

I have updated my bios. This might have helped. I'm not sure what I did to be honest, but I'm still running the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 motherboard with no problems. It did have problems when I put RAM sticks into the purple slots. They worked fine in the orange slots, but was temporary in the other set; not sure why. But I'm only running 1Gb of RAM now. 2 x 512mb Corsair xXMS PC 3200 (400Mhz 2-2-5-2 timings) at 2.7v I believe.

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“I know there are many factors to consider for a...”

Written on: 05/01/2006 by tywater (1 review written)

I know there are many factors to consider for a smooth, cool running computer. The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 for me, was a great motherboard, but short lived. My 1995 Compaq Tower lasted 8 years, but it was never as stable as the Pro 2.

Forgive me, but I do wonder if many are putting blame on the hardware when in fact they are overlooking proper installation habits. Reading the instructions carefully, and installing the hardware or software with patience, is a must to avoid instability… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“I am very happy with the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2...”

Written on: 29/12/2005 by bluoval351 (1 review written)

I am very happy with the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 motherboard. I have owned it for almost a year now, and is truly the most stable board I have owned. Blue screens are now a problem of the past for me! Whoohooo!

It was very, very easy to install and get running. No board is perfect though, and with this one, like a couple of the other reviews stated, the CPU gets really HOT!!! Mine runs close to 70c!! I don't have it overclocked either, but since it has given me no problems, I've learned to… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is a low cost board and...”

Written on: 17/05/2005 by mikemos (1 review written)

The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is a low cost board and fuctions fairly well. The overclocking software is pretty poor but isn't most overclocking software.

I don't know much about the "dual bios" but again, I didn't buy this board for the software. I don't know if I'd recommend this to a novice but for someone fairly technically savvy it's fine… Read Full Review

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“Errors, file loss and freeze-ups pretty much sums up...”

Written on: 09/05/2005 by triumvirat (1 review written)

Errors, file loss and freeze-ups pretty much sums up the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 motherboard. These issues are a never ending problem. Cannot accomplish anything, like burning a CD. Just when you think it's running good and smoothe it crashes… Read Full Review

233347_Jedi's Response to triumvirat's Review

Written on: 10/03/2006

The reason you were having so many problems is most of these boards experienced the bad capacitor problem. Post could have been clearer on what exactly the problems you were having with it.

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 - This board is quite nice...”

Written on: 17/09/2004 by FlyingWizard (1 review written)

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 - This board is quite nice until it allows the system to generate CPU temperatures close to 70 degrees.... It generates a massive amount of heat, although not entirely to blame. The Radeon 9800 Pro faces the wrong way and the fan doesn't push the airflow towards the case or power fans.

The installation of additional IDENTICAL memory modules is near impossible (I used memory made by CRUCIAL.COM, 2x512 SS 3200 modules) The board happily accepts one module, but try to… Read Full Review

Weesteev's Response to FlyingWizard's Review

Written on: 04/11/2004

This sound sliek you have a faulty board my friend :) I have the same board running dual DDR with an Athlon 2700+ (overclocked chip and RAM) and it runs like a sweety. The dual BIOS option is fantastic as well because if your fooling with your bios and screw it up then reboot with your second bios option. I think you should contact Gigabyte about your board!

Mushymarlil's Response to FlyingWizard's Review

Written on: 17/12/2007

first things first.... yes this board does report the cpu temp quite high compared to other boards.... the dual bios works wonders for me as I over clock and tweak my system alot.... i find it hard to beleive that you have managed to overwrite the backup bios..... as this chip is a ROM chip meaning "read only memory" which means it cannot be written to. only the second bios chip can be updated.
<br/>i had a good cpu cooler on my athlon xp2800 and i was getting temps of 50deg c at idle and about 65 at load. all motherboards have the agp slot in the same position in the same orientation. so its not gigabytes fault that your graphics card isn't blowing the air where you want it. there have been a few faulty boards that have problems with the ram but i have had non of these.... my board has been running for 4 years now with no faults.. i have since got liquid cooling on my cpu (over clocked) the motherboard) and also my graphics card (gainward 6800gs "GLH" im also running 1gb of corsair dual channel memory (512mb per stick) the reason the guy above might not be getting his ram to boot is because it might be in dual channel mode which requited a "set" or "pair" of the same chips. just simply buying 2 ram modules (even if they are the same) will not work in dual channel. they need to be paired. he may been to disable dual channel in the bios. with water cooling my cpu runs at 45deg c load and the motherboard runns at 30deg c load as apposed to 45deg c load with the stock cooling. I have found this motherboard to be very stable. Reasonable at over clocking very functional. Especially with the built in raid controller which I use. it was easy to set up and very easy to use. my PC is still running like a dream and can still play all the top games and recent releases. you might want to return your board as it looks faulty.

214745_Technololgyscaresme's Response to FlyingWizard's Review

Written on: 24/10/2005

purchased the motherboard over 2 years ago, seemed fine for a while but.......average temperatures of 65 degrees means the system is rebooting continuously in the summer weather in australia. I currently have my pedestal fan aimed directly at the motherboard and graphics card, so far its stopped the computer from restarting on its own........ its really bad and thankfully im glad that no-one is selling it anymore....i wasn't so lucky.